Elvis Madison Square Garden FTD box set , are you going to buy it ?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Yamaguchi.Y
Registered for: 10 years 1 month

Re: Elvis Madison Square Garden FTD box set , are you going to buy it ?

Post by Yamaguchi.Y »

No plans to pick it up; based on what I already have (this is an example of the redundancy that I try to avoid). (But, reading some of these posts . . is weakening me. :lol: )

— "Just enjoy yourself, that's what the whole thing's about." (EP, '76)

On Tape 1972
Registered for: 1 year 10 months

Post by On Tape 1972 »

The new MSG FTD turned out to be great. It's almost like listening to these shows for the first time. But they could and should have used a little more of what was recorded before 2001 and after the Closing Vamp has ended.

Even the booklet turned out to be very nice, almost flawless (a few spaces missing, but at this point I'm starting to think they remove these on purpose to avoid formatting issues. Well...). And Ronnie got credited too.

Tomek
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Tomek »

I said I’m not buying MSG again, but some of your comments made me get ot just minutes ago.
There goes my strong will.
Thanks.

Next time somebody release these shows I’m deleting my account here.

::rocks

Way Down Under
Registered for: 2 years
Mood:

Post by Way Down Under »

At first, I thought it would be highly unlikely, being satisfied with the PFAP CD & DVD set from 2012. That said however, I did find that the atmosphere and sound spectrum was a little too overpowering and some of the edits mentioned were unnecessary. Something else not mentioned was that the incredible roar of the crowd (about 12-15 seconds in) during the opening riff from Afternoon at the Garden, sounds somewhat muted in the 'Prince...' set. But after reading some rave reactions to this FTD version, it seems that M.R Spang has found some much needed middle ground, therefore I'm seriously considering it. Let's hope that some of those missing moments from PFAP have been restored here.

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 6 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

Way Down Under wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 4:43 pm
At first, I thought it would be highly unlikely, being satisfied with the PFAP CD & DVD set from 2012. That said however, I did find that the atmosphere and sound spectrum was a little too overpowering and some of the edits mentioned were unnecessary. Something else not mentioned was that the incredible roar of the crowd (about 12-15 seconds in) during the opening riff from Afternoon at the Garden, sounds somewhat muted in the 'Prince...' set. But after reading some rave reactions to this FTD version, it seems that M.R Spang has found some much needed middle ground, therefore I'm seriously considering it. Let's hope that some of those missing moments from PFAP have been restored here.
Perhaps I've just overlooked some previous posts (or I'm just getting forgetful :wink: ), but what specifically are you referring to when you speak of "the missing moments" from PFAP? Thanks

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by minkahed »

ElvisDan wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 10:14 pm
Listen to me very carefully folks...GO RIGHT NOW AND ORDER THIS!!! YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!! It is, by far, the best mix/sound this show has ever been presented in. Its like I'm hearing this for the first time. OMG!! From the first kettle drums echoing 2001 (yes, it sounds like you are in the audience. I know PFAP claimed the same, but NOT LIKE THIS!!!) It is a reference quality recording folks. I'm still shaking after listening to this. No, I'm not being over dramatic in my description , its that good. For the first time, proud Mary sounds like it should ( no JD belching out Roll,roll. His backup voice is now where it should be, blending in, adding to the full, rich bass line). The audience sounds so frickin electric, not pushed way back. They sounded way to harsh in PFAP. Now they just sneak up from behind and go crazy!!! Listen to his "oldies medley"... you will go nuts! Love me tender...The excitement is off the chain! Trilogy is amazing, it sounds real deep and rich, like Aloha! Once you hear this , I promise, you will NEVER listen to any other release again. WOW!!! MemphisFlash, you were right, I was blown right out of my chair!!! I never expected this kind of remix/remastering. Just like many of you, thought this was just another cash grab or " what else could they possibly do to it". Boy, was I wrong...VERY WRONG!!!
Holy Shiste, that’s one hell of a review.

I told myself I wasn’t gonna get it, but I just ordered it.

It better be good or I’ll come find your ass … LOL

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

JimmyCool wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 1:33 am
Johnny2523 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 12:24 am
I'll get it considering Matt Ross does a great job on these shows (best example is the aloha FTD), but it will be the last time i'll purchase these shows.
Matt Ross-Spang's work on the main show of the "Aloha From Hawaii" FTD release is truly remarkable and a must-have for any Elvis Presley fan. Initially, I was hesitant to listen to it because the 1998 Dennis Ferrante remix had been my ultimate favorite for decades, and I thought it couldn't be improved upon. However, after giving Ross-Spang's remix a chance, I was blown away by the enhanced sound quality and previously hidden subtleties in the performance. It has become my new favorite version.
I really don’t know what it is you’re hearing, but I find it to lack bottom end and I still consider the 1998 Dennis Ferrante version The Ultimate go to.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Way Down Under
Registered for: 2 years
Mood:

Post by Way Down Under »

rlj4ep wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 5:48 pm
Way Down Under wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 4:43 pm
Perhaps I've just overlooked some previous posts (or I'm just getting forgetful :wink: ), but what specifically are you referring to when you speak of "the missing moments" from PFAP? Thanks
The wrong intro to I Can't Stop Loving You played by Glen D. Hardin, and Charlie barking out Reconsider Baby, after Blue Suede... in the afternoon show, as mentioned in previous posts in this thread.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

carloselvis wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 11:04 pm
Evening Show is at the correct speed?

It has always been at the correct speed, from the first release in the summer of 1972 to the FTD fifty years later.

50 years? Yikes.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Scoobie wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 7:19 pm
listening to it as I type this. This and M.R.S's work on the Aloha set has prompted a question. The master tapes we worked with are the same multi-tracks as used previously. If it was always possible to make them sound this good, why was it not done in the first place?

Rob wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 7:22 pm
Because then it couldn't be bought again and again and again.......

Our short-pants devotee is betraying some cynicism, let's hope it's just a passing thing. It's not the Rob we know and adore.

The actual answer about mixing and mastering differences is: progress. Technologies, methodologies, and aesthetics change across fifty years. Now, of course if an artist isn't a legendary, norm-shattering icon, a live set is not going to enjoy new scrutiny by the record company. But, as we know, Elvis is one of the few exceptions to the rule. Also he left us over forty years ago.

As for the new Follow That Dream 3xCD set, well . . . it's different. Like ol' Rob, I grew up with a copy of the original album, with many a night the headphones glued to my ears, the concert at max volume, all the lights out and me possibly going through the motions of being that guy on stage in New York, blowing them away. Presley took care of the Big Apple that weekend.

Where the lead voice is kind of direct and above the rest of the music on that LP, Elvis' singing now sits more often with the ensemble, and the voice has more reverb. You're in the arena with that voice washing over you. The band is laid out as you would have seen them, had you been there, Hardin piano stage right, Tutt and Scheff rhythm center, Burton lead stage left. You're in the arena with the band.

The orchestra shines more than I remember, especially on the bigger productions like "The Impossible Dream (The Quest)" and "An American Trilogy," and you can really feel the crowd, sitting on the edge of their seats, waiting for that moment, a look, a favorite song, or Elvis just slipping in a line or two. You're in the crowd now. Backing vocals are of a piece, we don't get too much of any one singer, and that's fine.

Matt Ross-Sprang is 37. He wanted to re-create the thrill of that long-ago weekend, like so many of us, an event he couldn't have seen. He got there. And I have yet to dive into the afternoon set. But I will, soon.

Rob, you have a choice to make.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Rob
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Rob »

Guys, I already have the release. I disclosed many posts ago that I wasn't serious when I said I was not going to get this. Of course I bought this.

I insist that you all read each and every post I make from now on!

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

Scoobie
Registered for: 10 years 4 months

Post by Scoobie »

Rob wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 1:52 pm
Guys, I already have the release. I disclosed many posts ago that I wasn't serious when I said I was not going to get this. Of course I bought this.

I insist that you all read each and every post I make from now on!
I don't think anyone is ignoring your post, it is just a natural cotinuance of the conversation.

Have you recieved it yet? if so, what do you think of it?

Rob

Post by Rob »

I've had it for two weeks.

I'll listen to it this weekend. I'm home for 4 days.

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

Rob wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 10:09 pm
I've had it for two weeks.

I'll listen to it this weekend. I'm home for 4 days.
I always knew that you were going to buy this regardless. Hey, it’s Madison Square Garden buckos. I know you well, Rob. Enjoy your weekend.

Can’t wait to get mine, it’s on the way.

Rob

Post by Rob »

This set gave me chills. Pretty much the same way it did 51 years ago. Man, he was on fire. As I listened to the evening show, all of the reasons why it hooked me for life came and hit me again.

I like Elvis.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Yes I like this new release too + a decent booklet!

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 10:33 am
Scoobie wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 7:19 pm
listening to it as I type this. This and M.R.S's work on the Aloha set has prompted a question. The master tapes we worked with are the same multi-tracks as used previously. If it was always possible to make them sound this good, why was it not done in the first place?

Rob wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 7:22 pm
Because then it couldn't be bought again and again and again.......

Our short-pants devotee is betraying some cynicism, let's hope it's just a passing thing. It's not the Rob we know and adore.

The actual answer about mixing and mastering differences is: progress. Technologies, methodologies, and aesthetics change across fifty years. Now, of course if an artist isn't a legendary, norm-shattering icon, a live set is not going to enjoy new scrutiny by the record company. But, as we know, Elvis is one of the few exceptions to the rule. Also he left us over forty years ago.

As for the new Follow That Dream 3xCD set, well . . . it's different. Like ol' Rob, I grew up with a copy of the original album, with many a night the headphones glued to my ears, the concert at max volume, all the lights out and me possibly going through the motions of being that guy on stage in New York, blowing them away. Presley took care of the Big Apple that weekend.

Where the lead voice is kind of direct and above the rest of the music on that LP, Elvis' singing now sits more often with the ensemble, and the voice has more reverb. You're in the arena with that voice washing over you. The band is laid out as you would have seen them, had you been there, Hardin piano stage right, Tutt and Scheff rhythm center, Burton lead stage left. You're in the arena with the band.

The orchestra shines more than I remember, especially on the bigger productions like "The Impossible Dream (The Quest)" and "An American Trilogy," and you can really feel the crowd, sitting on the edge of their seats, waiting for that moment, a look, a favorite song, or Elvis just slipping in a line or two. You're in the crowd now. Backing vocals are of a piece, we don't get too much of any one singer, and that's fine.

Matt Ross-Sprang is 37. He wanted to re-create the thrill of that long-ago weekend, like so many of us, an event he couldn't have seen. He got there. And I have yet to dive into the afternoon set. But I will, soon.

Rob, you have a choice to make.
Lovely post.

Like a few others, some of the rave reviews on this forum persuaded me that I did need these concerts on disc for the fourth time after all.

50 quid well spent.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

Rob wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 1:08 pm
This set gave me chills. Pretty much the same way it did 51 years ago. Man, he was on fire. As I listened to the evening show, all of the reasons why it hooked me for life came and hit me again.

I like Elvis.
You guys are wearing me down...., I just may purchase it after all......,

Topic author
Rocker77
Registered for: 1 year 10 months
Mood:

Post by Rocker77 »

rlj4ep wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 3:36 am
Rob wrote:

I like Elvis.
You guys are wearing me down...., I just may purchase it after all......,
You won’t regret it on this one for sure.

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

Rob wrote:

I like Elvis.
Please don’t remind me I’m about to be 52. Awesome set indeed!

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

Kylan wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 7:20 am
Rob wrote:

I like Elvis.
Wow Kylan, I’m younger than you. LOL

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

minkahed wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 8:31 am
Kylan wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 7:20 am
Rob wrote:

I like Elvis.
Wow Kylan, I’m younger than you. LOL
Yep I’ve made it 10 yrs longer than Elvis did. Ain’t it funny how time slips away.

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

Hello friends, I’m just curious as some of you might already know, but I pre-ordered the FTD At question here and I was just told by shopelvis.com that it still hasn’t been shipped !!! TF ?!!

It’s been almost a month since they charged my credit card and not even an e- mail or nothing.

Has anyone else had this issue?

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

minkahed wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:23 am
Hello friends, I’m just curious as some of you might already know, but I pre-ordered the FTD At question here and I was just told by shopelvis.com that it still hasn’t been shipped !!! TF ?!!

It’s been almost a month since they charged my credit card and not even an e- mail or nothing.

I'm sorry you're having these difficulties. I order from shopgraceland.com and have never had a problem with them. I wish you well and hope this is resolved quickly for you.

Rob

Post by Rob »

minkahed wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:23 am

If you're going that route, Shop Graceland is the better of the two. Please go there next time.

Keep us updated because you definitely need to have that little baby in your collection.