CCR I like some of their songs very much

TheKingOfMusicEP
Registered for: 2 years 4 months

Re: Elvis the greatest live musical act from 1970-1973

Post by TheKingOfMusicEP »

jurasic1968 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 2:23 pm
Elvis was second to Led Zeppelin.
Do not forget, that Elvis had 2 documentary's in Cinema and a the most seen worldwide TV Special about his performances between 1970 and 1973 .
That's Kings worthy

TheKingOfMusicEP

TheKingOfMusicEP wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 3:50 pm
jurasic1968 wrote:
Do not forget, that Elvis had 2 documentary's in Cinema and a the most seen worldwide TV Special about his performances between 1970 and 1973 .
That's king worthy

TheKingOfMusicEP

TheKingOfMusicEP wrote:
TheKingOfMusicEP wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:
That's king worthy
So he did have more viewers than them all

TheKingOfMusicEP

Bubba Hotep wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 4:02 pm
:wtf:
No feeling well?

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by emjel »

TheKingOfMusicEP wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:
That's Kings worthy
What was the most seen worldwide TV Special then. I must have missed that. Do you have any numbers etc.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

TheKingOfMusicEP

emjel wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 4:25 pm
TheKingOfMusicEP wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:
That's Kings worthy
What was the most seen worldwide TV Special then. I must have missed that. Do you have any numbers etc.
Aloha From Hawaii was seen by more people than the moon landing. In some countrys like USA it was televised later, but all in all never before and never after it watched more people a concert of an solo singer on TV 😉

Strange
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Post by Strange »

Lol Fredaister - or should that be Federaister ;)

I was being too harsh on Nadal, it was really of the top of my head, I should have said the likes of Lendl as the hard-working comparison. I was simply thinking of grace to muscle ratio with Federer and Nadal, and I too take your point about the latter probably would have secured the most Grand Slams without so many later injuries - but that was possibly a result of his style and technique too in a way.

As far as Elvis goes, it was all 'natural' and that is in the eye of the beholder ultimately. I think it is fair to say that far more so-called 'celebrities' see it in him too - and say as much in the media, be it print, radio or TV - and there is nothing quite like peer acceptance then, or as the years have passed.

I might be wrong, and my eyes and ears are more attuned to Elvis-related comments perhaps, but I rarely hear other acts being quite so regularly 'respected' by others in the business. Just the other day I was watching Countdown - a UK afternoon words and numbers TV show for the uninitiated that has run for 40-plus years - that the Mrs likes and each week has a different guest. John Cooper Clark - a somewhat irreverent poet from Yorkshire - was on and to my surprise gave out with a poem about Elvis' greatness. He concluded by saying to the presenter that he would only need to have Elvis' 'How Great Thou Art' as his Desert Island Disc (another popular and long-running UK show that asks guests to list their half-dozen or so records they would take if marooned on said island).

It is the latest of what are still, almost 50 years after his death, many quite regular references to Elvis on the airwaves. 'It never ceases to amaze me'... . Sorry, off at a tangent, but trying to tie this all up it kinda implies why some can believe he was the greatest live musical act 1970-1973. I certainly wouldn't disavow them of that view 'in the round' over such a period of time considering the number of shows.

And who is to say these other acts under consideration didn't have bum gigs too? I for one don't follow them closely enough to really know. Apparently Brian Jones was completely out of it on many latter occasions in his days with the Stones - yet that could be covered up by the other four. No such luxury when you're the only one who matters...

emjel

Post by emjel »

TheKingOfMusicEP wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 4:29 pm
emjel wrote:
TheKingOfMusicEP wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:
That's Kings worthy
Aloha From Hawaii was seen by more people than the moon landing. In some countrys like USA it was televised later, but all in all never before and never after it watched more people a concert of an solo singer on TV 😉
That’s not strictly true is it? I was under the impression that over 600 million people actually watched the moon landing happen whereas only around 190 million actually watched Elvis’ live performance in Aloha.

~

Strange

Post by Strange »

Cryogenic wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 1:54 am
The point you make about the showmanship aspect is really the reason those that 'get it' can say something as nonsensical as 'Elvis the greatest musical live act from 1970-1973'. And those that don't will never understand. There was a well known quote about being an Elvis fan generally along those same lines - maybe Sam Phillips or George Klein or someone?
George Klein. :)

"If you're an Elvis fan, no explanation is necessary; if you're not an Elvis fan, no explanation is possible."
Thanks Cryogenic, the old grey matter isn't completely shot then! Yes, George Klein summed it up very well with that comment, indeed it could have been said about anyone I guess, but seems more apt when describing Elvis and his complex character and career.
Cryogenic wrote:
There are some differences (e.g., Mick Jagger is a great frontman), but I would agree that none are really in the mould of Elvis, who was cut from a very different cloth. He was -- and remains -- an extremely commanding presence, both on disc and screen.
I hesitated to dismiss Jagger for, as with Freddie he did offer a different style to the majority of band front men. But in the end it comes down to whether or not - in my eyes - he pranced about a lot and certainly in later years that is what he does too. You know, running/skipping around from one side of the stage to the other. Encouraging the arm waving routines of the audience etc. Holding the mike out to establish singalongs. All might be stadium tricks I suppose; all might have been adopted by Elvis had he lived. But in the end all of that nonsense just doesn't scream unique enough to qualify as showmanship. It is an accepted rock performance too of course, yet Elvis was never, despite his title, simply rock 'n' roll.
Sure, someone occasionally exudes more 'showmanship' in those settings - Mr. Mercury being the main example - but they do not "radiate cool, comfort, charisma, style, attitude, grace, and uniqueness" as you put it. I accept that is probably not what they were intending to achieve, but ultimately that is the kernel of the two views about what makes a great musical act.
Cryogenic wrote:
You got it. It would make more sense, in many ways, to compare Elvis to Frank Sinatra, or Dean Martin, or Sammy Davis Jr., or Bobby Darin, or the likes of Sam Cooke and James Brown, than all these rock bands that brought an entirely different dynamic to the stage. Elvis did well to still be a sensation on his own terms, given the lively competition of the time; but a sensation he was (and still is).
You got it too mon ami. As I stated Elvis was more than rock'n'roll, and he was from the start imho ('I sing all kinds'), so comparing him with rock groups is redundant in my book. It is hard to compare him with Sinatra/Martin/Davis too as they are performing to a different crowd and offering a more limited sound - as good as they were in their areas. I'm struggling to come up with any direct competition to compare Elvis fairly with - the variety, depth, presentation and 'showmanship' were all his own.

He wrote the book and all others followed. That is probably why so many of his peers were in awe and say as much. Without being funny, I sometimes feel only those in other spheres are comparable, like 'The Greatest' or maybe 'Bradman' in cricket or 'Babe Ruth' in baseball etc (though I'm straying out of my comfort zone saying that!).

Strange

Post by Strange »

emjel wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 4:48 pm
TheKingOfMusicEP wrote:
emjel wrote:
TheKingOfMusicEP wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:
That's Kings worthy
That’s not strictly true is it? I was under the impression that over 600 million people actually watched the moon landing happen whereas only around 190 million actually watched Elvis’ live performance in Aloha.
Oh not all this again. It's not worth it Emjel, let the OTT Elvis Estate publicity have its way and leave it at that.

Almost as daft as the thread title in terms of facts, we know it is ridiculous to imagine one billion or 1.5 billion (or whatever is now claimed) viewed 'Aloha' on broadcast and, tbh, who can really say what the live figures were for that or the moon landing? If 600m is acceptable then fair enough, 'Aloha' is less, but The King Of Music EP was really making a more general point related to the thread title I suspect - clumsily, maybe.

The audience numbers of all his filmed/televised performances were undoubtedly huge in total and it could be argued goes a long way to making a solid contribution in defence of the thread title. There was a reason Elvis was given the opportunity to be presented in that way - because he was very close to being the greatest live musical act 1970-1973 in the minds of those companies that presented him in concert in documentaries and television specials, and by the people who paid out to see them.

It doesn't win or convince in this impossible debate, but it certainly is a pertinent point. Imho. Anyhow, if we stick to just an entire concert, has it been beaten do we know, even at 'only' 190m?

Strange

Post by Strange »

Cryogenic wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 5:21 am
emjel wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 2:48 am
No double standards - Of course shows by other artists had fans of those artists in the audience, but I’m not sure they would be quite so tolerant (if that’s the right word) as Elvis fans are. I’d be surprised if they would have accepted hit songs presented in the kind of throwaway manner that Elvis did for his biggest hits. Even Ernst wrote that Elvis had a ready made sales platform regardless of the quality of the poor records and the movies, so I believe it is safe to think that it would also apply to what Elvis did with his shows too. I note you mention about people wanting to see Elvis for who he was, but from memory, I think I said exactly that - that there would be people wanting to see him because of his iconic status - but that does not necessarily translate into the shows being great too.

And this was one of the arguments that was created over in the Hoffman site. A fan wrote that because Elvis’ shows were always sold out, then it stands to reason that he was the greatest performer in that time period, but when he was challenged, he could not accept it.

I remember listening to an interview from Paul McCartney when he was asked about how he chooses what songs he sings at his shows. He said that primarily, he did his own recent ones and those if Wings too plus a couple of Beatles songs. But he started to get feedback from his team that fans wanted more Beatles songs so that is what he did. He even opened some shows with songs like Can’t Buy Me Love and Eight Day’s A Week. And he did them all with real respect and offered them up in a copy of the record sound too. I watched one show and closed my eyes and it could have been The Beatles on stage themselves.

And I liken that experience to when I was in Memphis one August and along with the Elvis soundalike singer at the tribute concert, they had The Jordanaires on stage too and they did a few of the Elvis classics from the 50’s and I could feel the hairs in the back of my neck stand up. It was as if Elvis himself was on stage - it was that awesome.
I can see where you're coming from, and I wouldn't necessarily want to disagree too strongly with you -- just because Elvis was great, doesn't mean he was always the greatest, or couldn't have done better.

However, on your last point about wanting Elvis to perfectly recreate the sound of his records, I think that's misguided and a rather limited view of what live performance can be. Elvis could do many things, be many things, and I think it was illogical to trap him into perfect mimesis. His Comeback Special material certainly doesn't sound like his master recordings of the same material; for the most part, that is a plus. Moreover, Elvis' voice changed rather dramatically over the years, and he was no longer the greasy-haired Memphis Flash. His music and persona necessarily evolved.

That's not to say, on the other hand, he couldn't have tried his hand at a more stripped-down, unplugged sort of sound. It's rather unfortunate he basically abandoned that format after achieving stunning success with it on the 68 Special; not to mention the magic of those private recordings that were later released into the public sphere. Yes, he played guitar a bit here and there on stage, but only the end of 1976 and 1977 offer anything intriguing in this regard, when Elvis returned to sitting behind the piano on a few occasions, belting out slightly frantic yet stunning versions of "Rags to Riches", "Unchained Melody", and "Where No One Stands Alone". How I wish there'd be a great deal more of that sort of thing.
Just to interject, I would say that after 50 years it is hard to get a grip on how things were back then. There is a little bit of every audience of a large act that will be diehards and curious, back then and today. Nobody is telling me that the Strolling Bones are getting world record tour after world record tour on anything other than the curious and those of the herd mentality who just want to say 'yeah, I saw the Stones'. Depending on what you want, it will be high energy, familiar and relatively safe (unlike Altamont etc.)

So it is a little bit of double standards to say Elvis had any more or less of this aspect or a more or less critical attendance and use it against him in this debate. The fact that his tours were seemingly more and more popular in 1975-76 when he was, according to this thread title and the general consensus of us critical fans, not holding a candle to 1970-1973 performance-wise, suggests that at the time - nigh on 50 years ago - his audience were not turning away because he gave sloppy shows or throwaway versions of his hits. Unless he really did have a greater percentage of blind loyalty attendees than all the other major acts - which is possible and equally amazing...

In that vain, selling out (in both senses maybe?) is a valid point to raise as a reason to suggest Elvis was the greatest performer. The Stones were at the same stage in their road careers by 1978 and 'Some Girls' as Elvis in 1969, so they've been milking the nostalgia stuff more than most. We'll never know what Elvis' show might have developed into during the 80s and beyond - personally I doubt he'd have changed much.

The fact that Cryogenic mentioned his later years' attempts to do some instrument based items - mainly piano for a breather I reckon - suggests he could have made some slow changes, but it all needed a lifestyle adjustment whatever happened of course. As for Paul McCartney, he had the talent to write his own material and that is/was a huge advantage but, as is mentioned, he still fell back on Fab4 material to make his audience happy. Were they recreations though - obviously not unless John, George and Ringo were there...

The mind can play tricks on us when we are enjoying ourselves, so maybe it did sound like the Beatles to you Emjel. That is impressive if Macca could dispense with the others so easily.

emjel

Post by emjel »

Strange wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 7:23 pm
emjel wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 4:48 pm
TheKingOfMusicEP wrote:
emjel wrote:
TheKingOfMusicEP wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:
That's Kings worthy
Oh not all this again. It's not worth it Emjel, let the OTT Elvis Estate publicity have its way and leave it at that.
I think it cuts both ways doesn’t it when we keep seeing the same claims being written about certain things. Maybe TheKingOfMusicEP has never read about the breakdown of the numbers and simply believes that the show was beamed around the world live and that the numbers put out by whoever are completely factual.

But there must be countless threads which repeat the same stuff time and time again - At least we have not got to the stage where threads are competing closely with 328 pages of the Baz movie thread which just goes on and on and…. :wink:

~

bajo
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by bajo »

Me think not! For Elvis fans, maybe! Listening to him now, after all these beers, he sure was great! But, greatest? He once was great! And he sure deserves the credit for what he showed in the 70's too! Las Vegas, The Garden and Aloha. Add Memphis '74. (Or all other show you might think of) But, the downfall somehow ruins what went on in the early seventies! Great he was, and remain! There are so many others too out there! To me, I think the movie,"Elvis", good as I think it is, somehow closes the show!
I sit back and enjoy all the wonderful FTD's flowing my way these days. That is the "Greatest Musical (live) Act" to me! :smt020

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

Dan_T
Registered for: 15 years

Post by Dan_T »

With the sad passing of Tina Turner today, she's being praised as one of the greatest stage performers.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

TheKingOfMusicEP wrote:

This now-insufferable topic is reaching the outer limits. You can enjoy your apples and oranges debates from here until the next century, but none of it really matters. Elvis' place is history is assured, and what his music is doing at retail in secondary markets in the current era will not change that.

However, moving to delusional statements like the above is really weird.

The Apollo 11 moon landing on Sunday, July 20, 1969 was an extraordinary event that changed human history. A television special taped in Hawaii by anyone doesn't come close, in terms of worldwide viewership, or anything else. Among other things, across the three major U.S. networks, ABC, CBS and NBC, ratings showed that 94% of Americans watched. I'm sure Elvis was among them, too.

Apollo 11: 'The greatest single broadcast in television history'
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48857752

TV Networks Launched Out-of-This-World Moon Landing
https://variety.com/2019/vintage/features/tv-networks-moon-landing-1969-1203263930/

The Apollo 11 Mission Was Also a Global Media Sensation
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/15/business/media/apollo-11-television-media.html

1969 Moon Landing - Date, Facts, Video
https://www.history.com/topics/1960s/moon-landing-1969

Okay, now back to your apples and oranges.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Jaime1234
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by Jaime1234 »

..........See below
Last edited by Jaime1234 on Wed May 24, 2023 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaime1234
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by Jaime1234 »

The peak of peak attention can be assigned and exact date: September 9, 1956, when Elvis Presley made his first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show, at CBS. Its 82.6 percent share of viewers, out of a population roughly half of today' s, has never been equaled or bettered
***** Tim Wu, a one time adviser to President Biden as noted in his 2016 book "The Attention Merchants: The Epic Scramble to Get Inside Our Heads

Later, Today I Learned (TIL) reaffirmed this notion on its August 2, 2018 edition)

emjel

Post by emjel »

Jaime1234 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 11:17 pm
The peak of peak attention can be assigned and exact date: September 9, 1956, when Elvis Presley made his first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show, at CBS. Its 82.6 percent share of viewers, out of a population roughly half of today' s, has never been equaled or bettered
***** Tim Wu, a one time adviser to President Biden as noted in his 2016 book "The Attention Merchants: The Epic Scramble to Get Inside Our Heads

Later, Today I Learned (TIL) reaffirmed this notion on its August 2, 2018 edition)
And you told us you were highly educated :wink:

~

TheKingOfMusicEP

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 10:14 pm
TheKingOfMusicEP wrote:

This now-insufferable topic is reaching the outer limits. You can enjoy your apples and oranges debates from here until the next century, but none of it really matters. Elvis' place is history is assured, and what his music is doing at retail in secondary markets in the current era will not change that.

The Apollo 11 moon landing on Sunday, July 20, 1969 was an extraordinary event that changed human history. A television special taped in Hawaii by anyone doesn't come close, in terms of worldwide viewership, or anything else. Among other things, across the three major U.S. networks, ABC, CBS and NBC, ratings showed that 94% of Americans watched. I'm sure Elvis was among them, too.

https://variety.com/2019/vintage/features/tv-networks-moon-landing-1969-1203263930/

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/15/business/media/apollo-11-television-media.html

We can now discuss back and forth for a long time how many people have seen Aloha from Hawaii with a time delay or later dates, but it is true that in these 3 years no other musician has released a TV special and 2 concert movies that are only about as big. In addition, there are several live albums that have sold very well. People came from all over the world to see his always full concerts. All this together clearly sets Elvis apart from the Other Artists 1970 - 1973.

Swedish

Post by Swedish »

TheKingOfMusicEP wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 1:05 am
We can now discuss back and forth for a long time how many people have seen Aloha from Hawaii with a time delay or later dates, but it is true that in these 3 years no other musician has released a TV special and 2 concert movies that are only about as big. In addition, there are several live albums that have sold very well. People came from all over the world to see his always full concerts. All this together clearly sets Elvis apart from the Other Artists 1970 - 1973.
Very crazy and strange that a artist with E's legacy didn't run over Parker and runaway on a world tour like other artist :smt017 That people came from all over the world, is not so strange. Yes that was the only way to see him live if living outside US

Shakin' Stevens aka Michael Barratt March 4th 1948 - 36 Marcross Rd, Cardiff suburb of Ely, South Wales

Swedish

Post by Swedish »

brian wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 8:25 pm
Swedish wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 12:42 pm
Bruce Springsteen wasn't around then 70-73 :wink: His first album came 1973 ;)
At the beginning of my post I was talking in a more general way before I began to specifically speak about 1970-1973. I said fans of Sinatra, Sammy Davis and Bruce Springsteen think they are the greatest entertainer ever. Everyone on this forum should be able to read that in my post and understand that. But people on this forum try to nitpick every little thing. They often miss the point someone is making and then instead try to nitpick a small part of their post. I also understand English isn't your native language. Bruce Springsteen was performing concerts prior to his first album coming out.
Can't you continue this discussion in the Swedish language please :mrgreen: Google translate will gladly assist you :P :lol: Unless I write in dialect, of course... Then google translate will go nuts :smt003

Shakin' Stevens aka Michael Barratt March 4th 1948 - 36 Marcross Rd, Cardiff suburb of Ely, South Wales

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

TheKingOfMusicEP wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
TheKingOfMusicEP wrote:

So, you understand how delusional is your statement about placing an entertainment TV special above the 1969 Apollo 11 moon landing? Did you read any of those articles? They are very informative.

It's unfortunate to see how Elvis worship impedes a person's ability to learn, accept or discuss actual facts. For example, despite what you just posted, Elvis' concerts were not "always full," especially towards the end.

And . . . there's nothing wrong with that. It's all part of the story. None of these kind of things changes Presley's achievements or place in history.

Meanwhile, which other musical acts fall behind Presley in the "TV special and 2 concert movies" measurement? Why is this a yardstick for "greatest live musical act"? You do not say, and one might assume this is because you cannot tell us.

Did you know that the projected "Aloha" ratings were published more than four months before the broadcast, used strictly to hype the program?

Billion May See Elvis Oahu Show

LAS VEGAS (AP) — The date for Elvis Presley's performance in Honolulu for a world-wide telecast has been changed from November to January.

The show's promoters estimate the show will have a viewing audience of more than one billion.

Rocco Laginestra, President of RCA Records, said in Las Vegas that Presley will perform at the HIC on Jan. 14. He said the live performance would be telecast to Southeast Asia and then shown the following night in 28 European countries. Laginestra said the program called "Aloha from Hawaii" would be shown in the United States at a later date over the NBC Television Network.

He said the program would reach the largest audience in the history of television and predicted a recording of the live performance would sell over 1 one million records.

Elvis Presley, who has sued for divorce from his wife, Priscilla, says he has no future marriage plans. But he says he is not soured on the idea of marriage.

In his first public statement since filing for divorce Aug. 18, Presley said Monday night that the pressures of his concert tours were chiefly responsible for the breakup. The couple had separated last February. 'It just didn't work out, said Presley, 37, "But we're still the very best of friends."

When Presley asked if he was soured on marriage as a result of breakup he said, "No. I have nothing at all against married life."

The Presley's divorce action is pending in Santa Monica, Calif. They have a 4-year-old daughter, Lisa.

Presley met his 26-year-old wife when he was with the U.S. Army in Germany. The couple was married here in May 1967.

He made the comments here following a news conference at the Las Vegas Hilton Hotel to disclose a planned world-wide concert by satellite in January. Presley closed an engagement at the Hilton Monday night.

Rocco Laginestra, president of RCA Records, said Presley is the "first performer to do a worldwide live concert via satellite."

"Elvis is the only performer that can do this thing," added Laginestra in announcing the one-hour concert that is expected to be beamed by satellite to about 50 countries.

He declined to discuss Presley's salary for the show, called "Aloha from Hawaii." The concert will be televised from the Honolulu International Center which will be set up to accommodate more than 5,000 persons for the live performance Jan. 14, he said.

The live performance, said Laginestra, will be beamed that night by satellite to Southeast Asia and will be shown the following night in 28 European countries. He said the program will be shown in the United States at a later date over the NBC television network.

Laginestra estimated the viewing audience at more than one billion persons — the largest ever television audience, he said. He added a record would be cut of the live performance and said indications are that "over one million" would be ordered.

"It's very hard to comprehend," said Presley. "I just hope I don't let them down.”

Hawaii Tribune-Herald - Wednesday, September 6, 1972
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/555535423/

Lots to learn, if you really care about the man and his music.

"Aloha" 1.5 Billion Viewers Mystery --> Solved?
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70196

Aloha From Hawaii and Marty Pasetta Story
https://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?&p=1867830#p1867830

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

emjel

Post by emjel »

TheKingOfMusicEP wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
TheKingOfMusicEP wrote:

Yes we can indeed discuss the viewer numbers for Aloha back and forth for a long time, but so far, you have offered nothing to support your claim, so there is nothing to discuss or debate.

The only reason people came from all over the world to watch an Elvis show and that was primarily in Vegas was because he never appeared outside of the USA. Now that might be unique in some way, but not necessarily for the right reasons and that for me knocks Elvis down the rating a bit for the best live performer in the said years of this thread.

Here’s a link to a few Top Live albums listings. Rolling Stone Top 10 Reader’s Poll for Best Live Albums of the 70’s and another from Classic Rock History, but I could not see any Elvis album listed.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/readers-poll-the-10-best-live-albums-of-the-1970s-12313/10-wings-wings-over-america%e2%80%8b-253780/

https://www.classicrockhistory.com/25-best-classic-rock-live-albums-of-all-time/

The last one is a Top 100 which seems to cover 60s and 70s, There are a few which get a mention in all three listings including Frampton Comes Alive which it seems has sold over 20 million units worldwide. But there is no Elvis.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/live-albums-100/

What does that tell us. Well nothing that is 100% conclusive I guess, as it’s all subjective, but I would have thought Elvis would have made the latter listing if his shows/live albums are regarded as highly as you suggest.

As has been mentioned, nothing will change Elvis’ iconic status as that is already in the history books, but you can be assured that his iconic status is not off the back of his live performances between 1970 and 1973.

~

minkahed
Registered for: 21 years

Post by minkahed »

I now have a guy who claims to be the Ultimate Elvis fan, just hounding me about how great Elvis was in the autumn of ‘76.

Talk about delusional. I am in no way saying that Elvis did not perform good performances in the second half of the year, but there were some pretty bad ones for sure.

He wants me to name a few of the concerts that he gave bad performances in and I’m just not inclined to go back and research, but if any of y’all want to chip in and help, I would be glad to send these messages to this guy. Thanks.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth