A look at Paradise, Hawaiian Style (1966)

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Mona Lisa
Registered for: 3 years 6 months

Re: A look at Paradise, Hawaiian Style (1966)

Post by Mona Lisa »

Looking forward to a FTD book project. Blue Hawaii, why not PHS...

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Mona Lisa men have named you ...

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Mona Lisa wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 3:16 pm

Who wouldn't spend $175.00 USD for a huge book on this landmark film?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 7 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

Mona Lisa wrote:

While I suspect you say this in jest, it could be an interesting project. Certainly not as detailed or expensive as Blue Hawaii, but some sort of small book about all of the films could be interesting for some.

Mona Lisa
Registered for: 3 years 6 months

Post by Mona Lisa »

You're right. A small book would be interesting...

Mona Lisa men have named you ...

TheKingOfMusicEP
Registered for: 2 years 2 months

Post by TheKingOfMusicEP »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 6:15 pm
Mona Lisa wrote:

Who wouldn't spend $175.00 USD for a huge book on this landmark film?
The books are all expensively .
33 books each for 33 $ would fit better ;-)

Greystoke
Registered for: 1 year 2 months

Post by Greystoke »

From Box Office Magazine (and also reported in Variety), noting that Suzanna Leigh is being lined up to act again with Elvis in another Hal Wallis film, which was to be Easy Come, Easy Go. This is something Leigh discusses in her autobiography, and she lays the blame on Tom Parker for nixing the opportunity to work with Elvis again.

Screenshot_20230519-160401~2.png

From Paramount World, Elvis and Suzanna Leigh.

paramountworld19112para_0331 (3)~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Greystoke on Sun May 21, 2023 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colonel snow
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by colonel snow »

On the CD “From Silver screentreasures 1962/65” are demo tracks included for Viva Las Vegas.
However these tracks were submitted for Paradise Hawaiian style:

Don’t fool a fool in love (unused demo) Viva Las Vegas = Paradise Hawaiian style
Written by Dolores Fuller-Irving Spice.

Sweet dream baby (unused demo) Viva Las Vegas = Paradise Hawaiian style
Written by Dolores Fuller-Irving Spice.

This way to paradise (unused demo) Viva Las Vegas = Paradise Hawaiian style
The song is written by Fred Wise-Ben Weisman-Dee Fuller.

There’s still another demo version with the same title. This version is written by Fred Wise and Randy Starr.
(source Kevan Budd)

colonel snow

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

One of Box Office Magazine's regular features was reports from theatre owners on the performance of individual films at their respective theatres, and Paradise, Hawaiian Style was no exception.

Screenshot_20230519-152111~2.png
Screenshot_20230521-190646~3.png
Screenshot_20230521-190437~2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

Shifting sands
(Giant-Baum-Kaye) (Elvis Presley Music - ASCAP)
The song is rejected in the pre-selection and replaced by A house of sand. The demo version is sung by Bill Giant.

olonel snow

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

From American Film Institute:

The 14 Jul 1965 DV announced singer Elvis Presley’s next film as Hawaiian Paradise, to be filmed on location in Honolulu, Oahu, HI. On 23 Jul 1965 DV reported that principal photography would begin 27 Jul 1965, with members of the cast and crew arriving on location over the next ten days. According to the 27 Jul 1965 DV, Presley began recording ten songs for the film the previous day, accompanied by The Jordanaires, a vocal group comprised of Gordon Stoker, Neal Matthews, Ray Sanders, and Hoyt Hawkins.
       As reported in the 3 Aug 1965 DV, production manager Robert Goodstein won a concession from the Hawaiian Department of Labor and Industrial Relations, allowing the company to count only the hours child actors appeared on set, while discounting those spent waiting for a “camera call.” The same concession was given to the producers of Hawaii (1966, see entry), which was filming elsewhere on the island. Both productions reportedly encountered difficulty hiring child actors due to state labor laws that restricted working hours for juveniles.
       The 9 Aug 1965 LAT claimed that veteran character actor Grady Sutton was disappointed over having to remain in Los Angeles, CA, while a stand-in played his scenes on location. Sutton completed his role later that month at Paramount Studios. Later that week, the 13 Aug 1965 DV reported that composer Joseph J. Lilley arrived on Oahu to supervise two production numbers featuring Presley and “200 native dancers.”
       As stated in the 18 Aug 1965 LAT, several scenes were also filmed at the Polynesian Cultural Center in Laie, HI, on the northwest side of the island. According to the 26 Aug 1965 LAT, production in Laie lasted two weeks, during which Presley was ensconced in a guarded hotel suite. After location shooting was completed, Presley’s manager, Col. Tom Parker, allowed 500 fans to file through the suite for the singer’s autograph. A private event was held later that day, during which Presley was given a personal farewell by 150 young women representing the Maori, Tonga, Fiji, Samoan, Tahitian, and Hawaiian cultures. All had reportedly appeared in scenes filmed at the Polynesian Cultural Center. The 24 Aug 1965 DV announced the 22 Aug 1965 completion of location filming. Production later resumed in Los Angeles.
       On 8 Sep 1965, DV announced Paradise, Hawaiian Style as the new title. Associate producer Paul Nathan was returning to the set following a week in the hospital for treatment of a “muscle spasm.” The 22 Sep 1965 DV stated that actress Julie Parrish was also hospitalized, although her condition was not disclosed. Seven days later, production ended with a party sponsored by producer Hal Wallis, as reported in the 30 Sep 1965 DV.
       On 29 Nov 1965, DV noted that Joseph J. Lilley would begin recording the film’s score with his forty-five-piece orchestra.
       Paradise—Hawaiian Style opened 15 Jun 1966 in New York City. Critical response was lukewarm, with the 16 Jun 1966 NYT comparing it to formulaic 1930s program films starring Bing Crosby. Regardless, Seventeen magazine declared it “Picture of the Month,” and the 6 Jul 1966 DV projected earnings of $120,000 for its opening week at twenty-nine Los Angeles theaters. By the end of 1966, the film made $2.5 million in rentals, with projected earning of $3.2 million, as noted in the 4 Jan 1967 Var.
       Casting announcements during the course of production included Playboy magazine model China Lee (1 Sep 1965 DV), Anne Morell (27 Aug 1965 DV), and Lisa Seagram (7 Sep 1965 DV). A news item in the 8 Sep 1965 LAT noted that the picture marked the singing debut of actress Marianna Hill.
       “Film Assignments” in the 30 Jul 1965 DV listed the following crewmembers: Nat Holt and Robert Templeton , assistant directors; Lennie South , camera operator; Gene Liggett and Dewey Wrigley, assistants; Richard Cook, recorder; Bud Parman, boom; Bob McCrillis, props; Herb Welts, and Douglas Cook, grips; Loren Netten , gaffer; Bud Kirkpatrick, best boy; Grace Harris and John Anderson: wardrobe; Gary Morris, makeup; Sherri Wilson, hairdresser; Marvin Weldon, script supervisor.

DV = Daily Variety
LAT = Los Angeles Times

colonel snow

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

From Motion Picture Exhibitor's end of year issue for 1965, giving a glimpse at some big new releases and films to come during the year ahead.

motionpictureexh74jaye_0_0372.jpg

From Paramount World once again. The top image is of a billboard in Tokyo, advertising Paradise, Hawaiian Style on the side of the Gekijo theatre. Alongside this is a billboard advertising Funny Face, Stanley Donen's 1957 romantic musical, which stars Fred Astaire and Audrey Hepburn. This film was re-released in Japan in 1966. Whilst the image below is showing a group of ushers getting into the spirit of Elvis's latest film by wearing Hawaiian shirts.

paramountworld19112para_0549~2.jpg
paramountworld19112para_0549~3.jpg

Poster for Funny Face.

funny-face.jpg

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

Movie - cast

colonel snow

bajo

Post by bajo »

Elvis didn't even bother to trim down to look something like beeing on the beach! I am still shaken by the opening scenes in the airplane! He never looked worse, imo!

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

drjohncarpenter

bajo wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 9:28 pm
Elvis didn't even bother to trim down to look something like beeing on the beach! I am still shaken by the opening scenes in the airplane! He never looked worse, imo!

"Bother" isn't the right characterization of this situation.

The weight gain was a clue that all was not right in the summer of 1965.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

Yet there doesn’t seem to be much discussion or opinions then and now over his appearance when the Beatles come to visit. Weird.

drjohncarpenter

Kylan wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 1:27 am
Yet there doesn’t seem to be much discussion or opinions then and now over his appearance when the Beatles come to visit. Weird.

Not weird.

Once Elvis was involved in the Paramount project he worked furiously to drop some of the weight, both on location in Hawaii and when the cast returned to the mainland to do the studio work.

And as most are aware, the Beatles visit was a special event for them, and they were so mesmerized to be invited to his home that they were initially speechless. Elvis had to break the ice, and then everyone relaxed and had a good time.

Tom Petty's description of seeing Elvis filming on location in Ocala, Florida in the summer of 1961 is another priceless example. He was about ten and a half, and the moment changed the course of his life, from loving baseball to focusing on music.

“He seemed to step out as radiant as an angel,” Petty said.

“He seemed to glow and walk above the ground. It was like nothing I had ever seen in my life."

https://gainesvilledowntown.com/2019/10/the-day-when-tom-petty-met-elvis-is-the-stuff-of-music-legends/

Charisma was something the star always had, especially around those who were meeting him for the first time.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

Lonely Summer wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 4:54 am
bajo wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 9:28 pm

Hmm...I direct you to a certain CBS special from the summer of 1977.

There's nothing wrong with the way Elvis looks in PHS. He may have put on a little weight compared to other movies he's in, but he's not 'fat'.

The CBS special aired in the fall. And maybe his reference is to when the star was an active performer.

Your assessment about "looks" in "Paradise, Hawaiian Style" doesn't apply to Hollywood, where Elvis had a job to do.

His weight gain was disturbing to all those in charge, from management to Paramount producer Hal Wallis.

As those who work in the industry are well aware, stars actually need to be at least a little underweight when appearing before the camera. It's been true since almost the dawn of the industry over a hundred years ago, and remains true today.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

tedjackson
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by tedjackson »

I visited the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu last year. Several scenes were filmed there. I highly recommend visiting if you get a chance. I added a photo of a cast and crew wrap party in August 1965 and yours truly in the same spot.

drjohncarpenter

tedjackson wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 6:15 pm
I visited the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu last year. Several scenes were filmed there. I highly recommend visiting if you get a chance. I added a photo of a cast and crew wrap party in August 1965 and yours truly in the same spot.

Two things are striking about your visit to the PCC's Maori meeting house:

- the vibrant, rich colors of the walls
- the interior of the building has not changed

Thanks for the share. IIRC, no scenes were done inside this meeting house for the movie.

See this wonderful topic for more:

Elvis Got "Leied" --> Who Knew?
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=82878

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by minkahed »

Lonely Summer wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 4:36 am
Elvis may not be at his slimmest in PHS, but he's not FAT. Most of us never looked as good as Elvis in PHS on our BEST days.
You obviously speak for yourself, certainly not me !!!

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

tedjackson
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by tedjackson »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 12:33 am
tedjackson wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 6:15 pm

Two things are striking about your visit to the PCC's Maori meeting house:

- the vibrant, rich colors of the walls
- the interior of the building has not changed

Thanks for the share. IIRC, no scenes were done inside this meeting house for the movie.

See this wonderful topic for more:

Elvis Got "Leied" --> Who Knew?
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=82878
I'll check it out. I have seen several black and white photos from that room, and thought everyone would like to see a color photo.

drjohncarpenter

Lonely Summer wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 4:57 am
The CBS special was recorded in the summer of 1977. You know that. It aired in the fall of that year, yes.

Regarding PHS, are you saying Elvis didn't do his job? What was disturbing about the weight gain? Should the stars be starving themselves to look good on camera?

No.

Already answered that, revisit my previous post.

Do you know how Hollywood works?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by minkahed »

Lonely Summer wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 5:00 am
minkahed wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 4:17 am
Lonely Summer wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 4:36 am
Elvis may not be at his slimmest in PHS, but he's not FAT. Most of us never looked as good as Elvis in PHS on our BEST days.
You obviously speak for yourself, certainly not me !!!
I'm sure you're gorgeous - but not as beautiful as this guy.
Still prettier I am.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

drjohncarpenter

Lonely Summer wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 4:58 am
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 12:33 am
No.

Already answered that, revisit my previous post.

Do you know how Hollywood works?

No, please educate me, o wise one.

You're proven you prefer to be obstinate instead of receptive, and that mocking request is clearly disingenuous.

Your loss, little buddy.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

According to the dialogue script (dated 14 january 1966) there's no duet version for A house of sand (see previous post with production info / synopsis).

colonel snow