Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: FECC-Moderator, Moderator5, Moderator3, Site Mechanic

mike edwards66
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by mike edwards66 »

James1954 wrote:It was stage patter and Elvis was mistaken, as performers often are when they are in the eye of a hurricane as he was. There is no sense other than than southern story telling, we bend the facts to suit the story we'd like.
If you have issue with the veracity of Elvis' stage patter and southern story telling, you can take it up with topic author. Apparently, he is really enjoying your posts.

We have moved past that, and are pondering, if what Elvis said WAS correct, how could it be. Almost two years ago now, MikeFromHolland went to the trouble of identifying the origins of this topic and listing some enlightened FECCers who were happy to consider the second studio theory. Crazy, huh:
MikeFromHolland on Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:49 am wrote:SOME HISTORY ABOUT The 2nd STUDIO HYPOTHESIS

The origins of this thread: http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=801822#p801822 (Aug. 24, 2010 by the in this OP or thread uncredited ColinB and billyblues)

On March 5, 2012 George Smith already came up with the hypothesis of another studio which Elvis might have used: "Did he record it for another studio?" (http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55284&start=425#p1009448)

No one responded to this. A later remark by rjm: "Agreed. But you missed the most important thing I said. HE NEVER SAID "AT SUN." Or even alluded to it in any way. Not "my second record/song for the guy" -- NOTHING to indicate Sun or Sam Phillips." (http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55284&start=475#p1164404)

On May 3, 2013 rpm wrote:
"It is IMPROBABLE. But it may be the truth. Or it may not. We must first eliminate "the impossible." Then go on to persue whatever is left, however improbable.

It is quite possible that Elvis was telling the truth. That cannot be eliminated.

It is seeming less possible that he recorded it at Sam Phillips's facility.

How to reconcile?

Here is pretty much what "is left." This makes sense, however improbable.

Okay:

Billy Emerson, claimed in an interview (I posted one of the quotes a while back, as a scan from a book) that he and Elvis made demos together. "In the back of a radio station." Elsewhere, he identified the station as WDIA.

Elvis knew the Phineas and Calvin Newborn family quite well. According to a Stanley Booth interview (1989, Village Voice), Elvis was a casual visitor to their home. The Newborns made demos back there, hiring singers. They got paid for these demos.

Emerson was unclear as to dates. But HE made demos there. And said Elvis did so with him, on occasion.

As I said, pure speculation. Brainstorming. I don't even care if I hear such a recording. It surely no longer exists, anyway, if ever it did exist.

I would like to pursue the matter further. "
So Radio Station WDIA became a second option to investigate. (http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55284&start=475#p1164412)

In this topic called "Tiger Man - Did Elvis record it at Sun?" DGRYAN1977 wrote: "This is a complete shot in the dark and I am sure my theory is wrong but, who said it was during any session with Scotty and Bill?
Is it all possible that Elvis recorded a "demo" in between the "my happiness" and "I'll never stand in your way" recordings?
It seems all theories pertaining to SUN lead to a dead end so this was the only thing I could possibly come up with.
Were there any other recording studios or places to record yourself in or around Memphis?
Especially since Elvis said "not too many people know the story". There must be more to it then just a recording session at SUN records with Scotty and Bill."
(http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=88579#p1392771). But again no one responded.
>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

Topic author
drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by drjohncarpenter »

James1954 on Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:53 pm wrote:It was stage patter and Elvis was mistaken, as performers often are when they are in the eye of a hurricane as he was. There is no sense other than than southern story telling, we bend the facts to suit the story we'd like. Your dogs ain't huntin'.
If anything, this topic has laid out in explicit terms that this was NOT "stage patter" at all.

"Stage patter" is nothing more than talking at length without saying anything significant.

His words in regards to these stand-alone performances of "Tiger Man" are quite remarkable, and meant to inform. He even OPENS one show with the song. There is nothing we have in the hundreds of live recordings from 1969-1977 that compares to these very specific, unique events.

It's the whole reason I created this topic, your dismissal implies you have not listened to the eight examples that were recorded from the audience in August 1970. I've heard virtually every single live recording out there, and when I reviewed these examples, the hair went up on the back of my neck. This was different from everything I'd heard before.

The only thing that came close in terms of feeling, and truth, were the spooky, revelatory "life story" monologues he shared with the summer 1969 audiences, and never again.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

drjohncarpenter on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:34 am wrote:
James1954 on Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:53 pm wrote:It was stage patter and Elvis was mistaken, as performers often are when they are in the eye of a hurricane as he was. There is no sense other than than southern story telling, we bend the facts to suit the story we'd like. Your dogs ain't huntin'.
If anything, this topic has laid out in explicit terms that this was NOT "stage patter" at all.

"Stage patter" is nothing more than talking at length without saying anything significant.

His words in regards to these stand-alone performances of "Tiger Man" are quite remarkable, and meant to inform. He even OPENS one show with the song. There is nothing we have in the hundreds of live recordings from 1969-1977 that compares to these very specific, unique events.

It's the whole reason I created this topic, your dismissal implies you have not listened to the eight examples that were recorded from the audience in August 1970. I've heard virtually every single live recording out there, and when I reviewed these examples, the hair went up on the back of my neck. This was different from everything I'd heard before.

The only thing that came close in terms of feeling, and truth, were the spooky, revelatory "life story" monologues he shared with the summer 1969 audiences, and never again.

He opened shows with c c rider, but it doesn't mean he recorded it at Sun as his second record.

James1954

Post by James1954 »

John, I actually have no interest in the topic other than what I can bring to the table in terms of historical knowledge and my experience. I'll stop providing that if you like. I don't place much store in Presley's words about this. I have listened to some of the material you provided but it's boring and I have no interest in Presley apart from his fifties material. My wife was the Elvis jumpsuit gal, I'm a rockabilly/Yardbirds guy.

I will throw you something that came back into my mind from long ago. Billy Poore has said that in 1974 he visited Charlie Feathers and Charlie played him a tape from Sun. Charlie said it was unheard of material from Elvis - a version of Charlie's We're Getting Closer to Being Apart and a version of Good Rockin' Tonight with Charlie and Sam coaching Elvis on the performance. Billy is certain it was Elvis he heard and he listened to the tape more than once. Charlie has been villified and denigrated, but Phillips and Johnny Cash, among others have said he was there at Sun when it all went down. Billy met Charlie before he became ornery, when he was far more open about things. Billy doesn't invent stories, he doesn't need to, and Charlie had a huge store of tapes. I believe him about the tape. If Tiger Man exists it will be someplace like that. I bow out of this almost religous like search for meaning in Presley's words.

FECC-Moderator
Registered for: 3 years 4 months

Post by FECC-Moderator »

Topic locked until further notice

FECC-Moderator
Registered for: 3 years 4 months

Post by FECC-Moderator »

The topic has been unlocked.. Recent posts have been either deleted or edited.. please keep things civil, and stop with the endless Jarvis baitings, this topic is about the possibility of Elvis trying out ''Tiger Man'' At sun.. and Jarvis has nothing to do with that.
Also stop the endless ''Troll'' baiting... This is considered a personal attack.. and be done already with the pledge thing.

If anyone for whatever reason decides to start making things personal again, or starts throwing insults towards members because it doesn't fit their agenda.. Suspensions will be made, and this topic will be locked indefinetly.

sitdown revamped
Registered for: 9 years

Post by sitdown revamped »

James1954 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:54 pm wrote:John, I actually have no interest in the topic other than what I can bring to the table in terms of historical knowledge and my experience. I'll stop providing that if you like. I don't place much store in Presley's words about this. I have listened to some of the material you provided but it's boring and I have no interest in Presley apart from his fifties material. My wife was the Elvis jumpsuit gal, I'm a rockabilly/Yardbirds guy.

I will throw you something that came back into my mind from long ago. Billy Poore has said that in 1974 he visited Charlie Feathers and Charlie played him a tape from Sun. Charlie said it was unheard of material from Elvis - a version of Charlie's We're Getting Closer to Being Apart and a version of Good Rockin' Tonight with Charlie and Sam coaching Elvis on the performance. Billy is certain it was Elvis he heard and he listened to the tape more than once. Charlie has been villified and denigrated, but Phillips and Johnny Cash, among others have said he was there at Sun when it all went down. Billy met Charlie before he became ornery, when he was far more open about things. Billy doesn't invent stories, he doesn't need to, and Charlie had a huge store of tapes. I believe him about the tape. If Tiger Man exists it will be someplace like that. I bow out of this almost religous like search for meaning in Presley's words.
interesting. What happened to Charlie Feathers tape collection...? Anyway, 40+ years is quite a long time. Kind regards, Peter

rjm
Registered for: 10 years 3 months

Post by rjm »

Scarre on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:40 am wrote:
rjm on Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:13 am wrote:Someone did talk about it. Billy Emerson.

They weren't supposed to be back there. But maybe Emerson misremembered. We will never know.

For me, this thread is important because it is how I discovered FECC. I heard the audio samples on a dialup connection before that hard drive died and I was THRILLED!

So I have been very intrigued by the topic ever since. At the time, I was listening to a lot of pre-Elvis Sun, especially from 1953. And I wondered what the heck happened with the driven young Searcher during that frustrating time. With a car, Memphis isn't as big as you might think. And Elvis couldn't give a rat's behind about Jim Crow since he was a child. He went wherever he wanted to go.

Perhaps he loved the record, sang it a lot, but never cut it. Maybe he thought it was captured on a Sun radio demo in 1954. We have not many outtakes even of the songs he did get released. You can't fault any of us fans for wanting to know more about 1953-1954. After that, we know almost everything. See, that's the adventure! Some Mystery Trains disappear into the dark night, precious cargo aboard, never to return. But we remember the ghostly train.

By mid 1955, Elvis was so good, he stopped a train in his version of the old folk line about the long black train that was 16 coaches long. "took my baby/never will again . . . whooo!"

rjm
A very short playlist...
True. But it was good stuff. Also, pre-1953 as well.

rjm
"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

James1954 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:54 am wrote:John, I actually have no interest in the topic other than what I can bring to the table in terms of historical knowledge and my experience. I'll stop providing that if you like. I don't place much store in Presley's words about this. I have listened to some of the material you provided but it's boring and I have no interest in Presley apart from his fifties material. My wife was the Elvis jumpsuit gal, I'm a rockabilly/Yardbirds guy.

Unfortunately, Billy Poore's reputation for the veracity of his stories is as suspect as the photo he distributes of himself and Elvis from 1976:

http://www.rockabillyhall.com/billypoore.html

The photo is a fabrication.

And, of course, Charlie Feathers was nothing if not a wild raconteur.

I appreciate your input here, but I also hope you appreciate my right to disagree with some of your assertions.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

chop983
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Post by chop983 »

I have a question, has anyone else ever recorded Tiger man at sun other than theoriginal.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

chop983 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:03 pm wrote:I have a question, has anyone else ever recorded Tiger man at sun other than theoriginal.
Only by the songwriter.

As discussed previously, somewhere around page 11, there are two Joe Hill Louis recordings, from 1952 and 1953, that were made at 706 Union. Neither were issued until decades later, and neither were known until their release.

Louis' first recording of "Tiger Man" was cut in November 1952. It surfaced on an obscure Dutch bootleg in 1975. A second unreleased recording made in September 1953, two months after Rufus Thomas Jr.'s Sun 188, first came to light on a 1985 Sun box set.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

MikeFromHolland

Post by MikeFromHolland »

chop983 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:03 pm wrote:I have a question, has anyone else ever recorded Tiger man at sun other than theoriginal.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

MikeFromHolland on Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:24 pm wrote:
chop983 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:03 pm wrote:I have a question, has anyone else ever recorded Tiger man at sun other than theoriginal.

This is the second version by Joe Hill Louis, from November 1953.

As I noted, it was released in 1985 on this marvelous, 9xLP box set:

Sun Records - The Blues Years 1950-1956
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Sun-Records-The-Blues-Years-1950-1956/release/4304494

It's on the second side of record six, "Mistreatin' Boogie."
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

mike edwards66

Post by mike edwards66 »

BUMP.

And grind.

1972 - Elvis reconfirms in a matter of fact manner, that 'Tiger Man' was the 'second record' that he 'ever recorded'.

1970 - Elvis refers to 'Tiger Man' as the second record he ever recorded, giving a cryptic clue that 'not too many people heard it.....' PERHAPS this is because one of the few people that had 'heard it' shows up in Vegas, hangs around for a while and sparks Elvis' memory.

1968 - Singer Special. A statement of intent, after years in rock 'n' roll wilderness, Elvis tells us that, contrary to what we may have heard, he is the still the king of the jungle!

1953/4 - After recording 'My Happiness' at Sun with Marion Keisker at the helm, and whilst waiting hopefully for Sam Phillips to contact him, Elvis made a second record, the second that he ever recorded, at another recording service. Outside the box, but totally plausible. Fits perfectly and explains why no paperwork at Sun,

As Ernst Jorgensen noted, after Elvis recorded 'My Happiness', '...weeks and months went by and he heard nothing.......he couldn't stand it anymore........
>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

Mr Songman
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Mr Songman »

Oh no!...Not again!....

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

bajo
Registered for: 18 years

Post by bajo »

"The record never came out.." :sunglasses:
"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

jacob
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by jacob »

We may never know for sure if he recorded Tiger Man at Sun and questions have been raised about Elvis' accuracy's regarding his career but I think we do him a disservice if we think that he didn't know the difference between something he recorded or didn't record.

Bobc
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

Post by Bobc »

I love this thread.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

jacob wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:41 pm
We may never know for sure if he recorded Tiger Man at Sun and questions have been raised about Elvis' accuracy's regarding his career but I think we do him a disservice if we think that he didn't know the difference between something he recorded or didn't record.

1) Ignore the trolls.

2) All the above has been addressed on this topic.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

DarkShade wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:10 pm
I don't know if this has been pointed out yet in this thread or not but according to the official Sony Legacy Elvis Presley website, www.elvisthemusic.com, Elvis did attempt "Tiger Man" while at Sun Records.

https://www.elvisthemusic.com/music/singer-presents-elvis-singing-flaming-star-and-others/

What appears on the page:

Singer Presents Elvis Singing Flaming Star And Others

Released: Oct. 1, 1968

With the Singer Sewing Company sponsoring Elvis’ upcoming one-man television special in December, the Colonel and RCA sanctioned a promotion that allowed Singer to sell a newly created budget-priced album exclusively in its stores for a period of three months after the broadcast. Except for the title track, none of the songs had previously been released. The material consisted of six movie leftovers, Elvis’ nimble delivery of “Too Much Monkey Business” (ably assisted by Jerry Reed), and “Tiger Man,” a Rufus Thomas original that Elvis had first attempted when he was on Sun (though no tape survives). The new version had been cut but then dropped from the special, with the more seasonally appropriate “Blue Christmas” taking its place. It was as fiery a performance as he had delivered in years and was restored to its place in the impromptu live concert at the heart of the show when the special was re-broadcast in August. RCA also put out the Singer Presents album on March 28, 1969 on its Camden budget label, and between the two versions, it sold half a million copies in the first year alone.

https://www.elvisthemusic.com/music/singer-presents-elvis-singing-flaming-star-and-others/

The website is repurposing the information found in the book Ernst Jørgensen and Roger Semon put together for The Complete Elvis Presley Masters (Legacy/RCA, October 2010).

Complete Elvis Presley Masters_01.jpg

Complete Elvis Presley Masters_02.jpg

Clearly, they read this topic and answered the question for all of us.

:wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

pmp
Registered for: 2 years

Post by pmp »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:31 pm
DarkShade wrote:
I don't know if this has been pointed out yet in this thread or not but according to the official Sony Legacy Elvis Presley website, www.elvisthemusic.com, Elvis did attempt "Tiger Man" while at Sun Records.

With the Singer Sewing Company sponsoring Elvis’ upcoming one-man television special in December, the Colonel and RCA sanctioned a promotion that allowed Singer to sell a newly created budget-priced album exclusively in its stores for a period of three months after the broadcast. Except for the title track, none of the songs had previously been released. The material consisted of six movie leftovers, Elvis’ nimble delivery of “Too Much Monkey Business” (ably assisted by Jerry Reed), and “Tiger Man,” a Rufus Thomas original that Elvis had first attempted when he was on Sun (though no tape survives). The new version had been cut but then dropped from the special, with the more seasonally appropriate “Blue Christmas” taking its place. It was as fiery a performance as he had delivered in years and was restored to its place in the impromptu live concert at the heart of the show when the special was re-broadcast in August. RCA also put out the Singer Presents album on March 28, 1969 on its Camden budget label, and between the two versions, it sold half a million copies in the first year alone.

The website is repurposing the information found in the book Ernst Jørgensen and Roger Semon put together for The Complete Elvis Presley Masters (Legacy/RCA, October 2010).

Nobody has ever said he didn't attempt it. The argument has been over your claim that he produced a master of it, it was planned as a single, and demo discs made.
Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

BobDylan
Registered for: 6 years 5 months

Post by BobDylan »

pmp wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:30 pm
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:31 pm
DarkShade wrote:

Nobody has ever said he didn't attempt it. The argument has been over your claim that he produced a master of it, it was planned as a single, and demo discs made.
pmp gets it!

When In Rome
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by When In Rome »

While it would undoubtedly be a inconceivably great find, should we also consider that it may have been excruciatingly awful or deeply embarrassing in some way that they purposefully (?) destroyed every moment of any recorded master of it or indeed if they even committed it to tape in any form in the first place.
Presumably no alleged masters were held back due to publishing issues then somehow taped over by accident? Regardless, they seemingly never felt inclined to re-attempt the song in those formative years, whereas several SUN 'try-outs' were re-attempted over at RCA.
Fascinating stuff...
Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...

DEH
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by DEH »

Wouldn't it have been great if Elvis would have just explained what he was talking about? Just once. So there was not 87 pages of this.

pmp
Registered for: 2 years

Post by pmp »

DEH wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:36 pm
Wouldn't it have been great if Elvis would have just explained what he was talking about? Just once. So there was not 87 pages of this.
To be fair, if outlandish conclusions were not made in the opening post, it wouldn't have got past page 2.
Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.