Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
GuitarKing
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Elvis' weight? Aug. 77'

Post by GuitarKing »

Anybody know if elvis was in any better shape for his next tour? Did he drop any pounds? Cause if u think he had all of July and half of August if he was really motivated to do it. Excpecially with that new book coming out. He couldve lost a good 10 lbs if he wanted to u would think. After all he said this was going to be his finest tour yet.....?? Even though he really knew it wouldn't be.

Pete Dube
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Re: Elvis' weight? Aug. 77'

Post by Pete Dube »

Elvis' weight in August '77 was probably what it had been in June (around 230 lbs. give or take). He didn't spend any of the time off dieting/exercising. A couple of days before the tour was due to start he went on a fast, but that wasn't going to take a significant amount of weight off.

JosephC
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by JosephC »

Sadly there was no meaningful change in his appearance, nor could there possibly be the expectation for meaningful change given how frequent the tours were scheduled. He needed rest and medical attention/intervention for a year at least, imo..

JosephC

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

We really obsess over these things around here, don't we?

:? :lol:

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

GuitarKing wrote:Anybody know if elvis was in any better shape for his next tour? Did he drop any pounds?
Yes -- he was not.
No.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Registered for: 21 years 2 months

Post by 3577 »

Most of it, is speculation. Did he lose weight for the August tour? How much was his weight on August 16? We dont know, and certainly not a fake doctor on this forum. The weight-field on the autopsy report is blank. Who knows what his weight was in June 1977? Speculation.

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by elvisjock »

429 pounds.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

3577 wrote:Most of it, is speculation.
No, it is not.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

JosephC

Post by JosephC »

3577 wrote:Most of it, is speculation. Did he lose weight for the August tour? How much was his weight on August 16? We dont know, and certainly not a fake doctor on this forum. The weight-field on the autopsy report is blank. Who knows what his weight was in June 1977? Speculation.
In the book Elvis The Final Years by Jerry Hopkins the author states Elvis went on a crash diet or fast the day before the tour, but what was he (Elvis) expecting? A 10 or 15 pound loss would have made zero difference to his appearance. He was in awful physical and mental shape.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by midnightx »

JosephC wrote:
3577 wrote:Most of it, is speculation. Did he lose weight for the August tour? How much was his weight on August 16? We dont know, and certainly not a fake doctor on this forum. The weight-field on the autopsy report is blank. Who knows what his weight was in June 1977? Speculation.
In the book Elvis The Final Years by Jerry Hopkins the author states Elvis went on a crash diet or fast the day before the tour, but what was he (Elvis) expecting? A 10 or 15 pound loss would have made zero difference to his appearance. He was in awful physical and mental shape.
The laser jumpsuit would have masked a lot of the problems once it was available for the fall shows.

norrie
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by norrie »

JosephC wrote:
Your right but unfortunately that was Elvis' mindset at that time.You know what I mean,on tour shortly Elvis you know
you need to lose a bit,yeah your right I'll leave it till the day before I'm sure I'll be OK.A game of racquetball will sort me out

Robert
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by Robert »

Elvis weight could actually jump up & down in a matter of days.
Enough prove for that on the countless, almost day by day 1977 pics and mentioned by several close to him.

So a August '77 weight is hard to define, but all signs were red even compared to his June physics.
There's this autopsy document, the weight is not filled out..

eligain
Registered for: 14 years

Post by eligain »

I wonder which jumpsuits were packed for the August 17th tour? All the bags and trunks were packed but I've never read which jumpsuits were going to be used for the tour that never was. I don't think the pizza suit could take another tour.

stevelecher
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by stevelecher »

Since he took enough drugs to kill himself on August 16, we have to assume his concerts were going to be something on the order of Omaha the next day. Could he have spoken of the book "What Happened" in that condition?

This tour sure could have been another train wreck.

Steve L.

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 14 years 2 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

I once read he lost a good amount of weight (can't recall the source though).

I doubt it too. The other thing is: if you gain and lose a lot of weight rapidly, it's not that healthy for your heart...

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

Hav-A-Tampa
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Hav-A-Tampa »

stevelecher wrote:Since he took enough drugs to kill himself on August 16, we have to assume his concerts were going to be something on the order of Omaha the next day. Could he have spoken of the book "What Happened" in that condition?

Steve L.
His mental state in August was probably even worse than his physical shape. Imagine the pressure he must have felt with the book in the stores since a couple of weeks. Sure, the "movie magazines" had written about him in the past, but he had never been exposed like that. Add this to his financial problems and the upcoming "Elvis In Concert" TV special. In his heart he must have known he would look terrible in that one. And ironically, that very day, August 16, it was announced in the press that the special would air on CBS in October... quite a coincidence.

So despite his talking of the tour being his best in a long time, and of adding new material, I think it would have followed the pattern of the May and June tours...

Registered for: 21 years 2 months

Post by 3577 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
3577 wrote:Most of it, is speculation.
No, it is not.
Then tell me, what was the exact weight? Prove it with original documents. Not Google wich is your main source,for everything. Ill be wating.

epf

Post by epf »

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Since he took enough drugs to kill himself on August 16, we have to assume his concerts were going to be something on the order of Omaha the next day. Could he have spoken of the book "What Happened" in that condition?

Steve L.
His mental state in August was probably even worse than his physical shape. Imagine the pressure he must have felt with the book in the stores since a couple of weeks. Sure, the "movie magazines" had written about him in the past, but he had never been exposed like that. Add this to his financial problems and the upcoming "Elvis In Concert" TV special. In his heart he must have known he would look terrible in that one. And ironically, that very day, August 16, it was announced in the press that the special would air on CBS in October... quite a coincidence.

So despite his talking of the tour being his best in a long time, and of adding new material, I think it would have followed the pattern of the May and June tours...
It was a relatively long one as well, so it would definitely have its repercussions, i would guess. If there was ever an ill-fated tour, it was this one. Maybe it is a good thing it did not happen. (NOT MEANING: it is a good thing he died.)

rocknroller

Post by rocknroller »

eligain wrote: I don't think the pizza suit could take another tour.

:lol: :lol: :lol: now that was funny !

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t

rocknroller

Post by rocknroller »

so 230 lbs is around 16 stone is that right ? as elvis was 6 foot tall his weight should be around 13 & half stone so he was only 2 & half stone overweight so that is not too bad ! some people look ok putting a little weight on but elvis's main problem was the drugs thats what made him look like sh*t.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t

nod3million

Post by nod3million »

rocknroller wrote:so 230 lbs is around 16 stone is that right ? as elvis was 6 foot tall his weight should be around 13 & half stone so he was only 2 & half stone overweight so that is not too bad ! some people look ok putting a little weight on but elvis's main problem was the drugs thats what made him look like sh*t.
He looked more like 250lbs but as you say the drugs were the big thing. They are what would have made the next tour no different from the previous ones. Although he did look alot better in June 77 than say Feb 77.

rocknroller

Post by rocknroller »

nod3million wrote:
rocknroller wrote:so 230 lbs is around 16 stone is that right ? as elvis was 6 foot tall his weight should be around 13 & half stone so he was only 2 & half stone overweight so that is not too bad ! some people look ok putting a little weight on but elvis's main problem was the drugs thats what made him look like sh*t.
He looked more like 250lbs but as you say the drugs were the big thing. They are what would have made the next tour no different from the previous ones. Although he did look alot better in June 77 than say Feb 77.

if he was 250lbs that would make him nearer to 18 stone and that is heavy.

nod3million

Post by nod3million »

hey Im 18 stone!!, ah no Im 17 stone but it depends what kind of weight you are carrying. Arnie was 22 stone when was winning Mr Olympia and look at him. Elvis was tall enough to carry 15 stone but 18 stone was too much for him and it was bad weight......

rocknroller

Post by rocknroller »

nod3million wrote:hey Im 18 stone!!, ah no Im 17 stone but it depends what kind of weight you are carrying. Arnie was 22 stone when was winning Mr Olympia and look at him. Elvis was tall enough to carry 15 stone but 18 stone was too much for him and it was bad weight......

yeah your right it depends on your height & build but 18 stone was way to much for elvis.

karlos
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by karlos »

Truly Elvis weight didnt drop off in 77 - He was passively eating wrong foods , taking sevral tabs to lose weight etc and medication - He surely never rested due to his Tours and his life style -

If he took care of himself and diet during his 77 Tours I guess it would have been hard for him due to his circumstances -

His vacation in March 77 was not working for him - His April / June Tours were fast approaching - He should have rested more - His circle of friends didnt help him either - Some betrayed him by writing a book about him which i never believed some what - But really Elvis should have managed to live a normal life like any other - His fame / fortune was too much for him - Loneliness could have been a factor too for him - Yes he had a new girl friend Ginger Alden -

But Touring ., commitments to fans by giving concerts etc - was too much for him - He was very sick and it showed on various shows he gave in 77 when at times he didnt know where he was - In which Town / City etc -

Elvis was surely a prisoner engulfed by ''Fame and Fortune'' -
Long Live The King 4Ever -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.