Elvis Presley: Norfolk Scope July 20, 1975

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
memphisound
Banned - Previously Banned Member Who Returned.
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Elvis Presley: Norfolk Scope July 20, 1975

Post by memphisound »

During the July 20, 1975 show, between songs Elvis was joking around and giving out scarves when he noticed a little girl standing on the far left of the stage. He walked over and knelt down on one knee in front of her. Realising she was blind, Elvis held her hands and spoke to her for a few minutes. The audience could not hear as he kept the microphone away from his mouth. He then kissed his scarf and touched both her eyes with it. When he was finished he took the scarf and held it to the child's face. The little girl stood there with complete confidence in what Elvis was doing. The girl had been blind since birth.

We all know this was a rough time for Elvis, and he was clearly unhappy. But this goes to show how big a heart he had. I hadn't come across it before and after reading and knowing of the events with the Sweet Inspiration's and Kathy Westmoreland I was surprised this happened at the show same.

PREVIOUSLY BANNED MEMBER "BRADM".

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Elvis Presley: Norfolk Scope July 20, 1975

Post by Johnny2523 »

from another angle
Clipboard38.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

bajo
Registered for: 21 years 2 months

Post by bajo »

Touching!

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Yes it was a sheer Stunning Moment from Elvis the Humanitarium :D :shock: :roll: :lol: 8)

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

robbie
Registered for: 15 years 8 months

Post by robbie »

Never knew that :shock: people sometimes forget the sweet side of the MAN
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

robbie
Registered for: 15 years 8 months

Post by robbie »

Maybe some of that can be heard on the cd 8)

Rob

Post by Rob »

robbie wrote:Never knew that :shock: people sometimes forget the sweet side of the MAN
Elvis had a "sweet side" like no other. I talked to a lady a few years ago who could confirm this first hand.

Many of you know that during Elvis' evening show in Cincinnati in 1976, he makes an emergency announcement. He tells Carla Mulford of Lawrenceburg, Indiana to report to the emergency first aid station. Normally, he would not have made such an announcement. However, in this case, it definitely was an emergency.

I did a little investigative work recently and found the one and only Carla Mulford. She was a little hesitant to talk with me. Once she found out that I had a CD of the show and I was merely trying to find out the story behind the emergency, she opened up a little. She is now in her late 60's and at the time had a three-year old daughter named Beth. Beth was mentally retarded because of being born with fluid on her brain. Carla was very protective of the little girl and was hesitant to leave her alone to go see Elvis' show at the Riverfront Coliseum in Cincinnati on the evening of March 21, 1976.

With a little coaxing from her family, she did attend the concert. Unfortunately, Beth had a seizure while her mother and father were at the show. Family members rushed the girl to the hospital. At that time she was unresponsive. The medical staff said that they could not treat the girl without permission from the parents. They called the coliseum and asked that Beth's parents be paged immediately because it was a matter of life and death. One of the employees at the coliseum went on stage and handed the information to Elvis who promptly read it.

Carla Mulford heard the announcement and in a panic rushed to the emergency station and gave the doctors permission to treat Beth.

The little girl survived that night and lived for 23 more years. She finally passed away in 1999 after a lifetime of medical problems due to her condition. It was the only time that Carla Mulford ever attended an Elvis concert. She and her husband left the concert immediately following Elvis' announcement and rushed to the hospital, therefore missing much of the show.

Here's the great part of this story. When Elvis came off stage, he wanted to know what the emergency was all about. When he was told what had happened, he instructed someone to call the hospital to find out the condition of the little girl. Elvis specifically asked to talk to one of Beth's parents. He talked to Carla and found out that the little girl looked as if she was going to make it. She said her conversation with Elvis lasted about 5 minutes after she realized it was actually Elvis that she was talking to. She obviously did not believe him at first.

I am going to send her a copy of "Holding Back The Years" so that she can hear the rest of what she missed 31 years ago.

Carla and her husband still get around very well and are currently on vacation in Mexico.

Lawrenceburg, Indiana is about 45 minutes from here. It took a little detective work, but I was relieved to know that I finally found her. Maybe I should open up my own private investigation firm.

Anyway....that's the story of the Carla Mulford emergency in Cincinnati on the night of March 21, 1976.

Elvis Presley was certainly one of a kind and each day I am proud to call myself a fan.

bajo

Post by bajo »

Great story Rob, thanks for sharing! :)

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Memphisound, Rob, thanks for posting these. It truly says a lot about the man as a human being.

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 11 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Thanks for the stories Memphishound and Rob

-instagram kenh1964

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

:D REAL Heart warming stories and i bet you won't find a Justin Beiber story liked that~~!!!!!!! :?

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

stevelecher
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by stevelecher »

Never heard the girl in Norfolk was blind.

chris j
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by chris j »

Thanks, Rob, and to all who commented. That's a very important reminder - or maybe it's a side of Elvis some of our board members were unaware of.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

Great story. Thanks a lot, Rob!

memfisking
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by memfisking »

These kind of stories are what make many of us fans of every aspect of Elvis Presleys career. From 1954 to 1977 he gave us so much, that when I see, so called "fans", critisize him so often during his 70's period, that I wonder if they ever actually "got" what was so great about the man at all.

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

Moody_Blue

Post by Moody_Blue »

Great story, thanks for sharing. I think that's why we love Elvis so much, not only was he so talented and charismatic but he was a very special tender empathetic human being. He really accomplished so much in his 42 years....

Ricky
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Post by Ricky »

Yes she was blind. Elvis took off his scarf and and kissed it, touching both of eyes with it and whispered into her ear. Later, we were told she when asked what he said, she answered " that's between me and Elvis".

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

YDKM wrote::D REAL Heart warming stories and i bet you won't find a Justin Beiber story liked that~~!!!!!!! :?
Not sure why this is being said. I am sure you will find many stories of a similar nature with almost any pop star, including Justin "Beiber."

---

Thanks, memphisound for the topic. The Norfolk visit is almost a summary of that tour, both the highs and the lows. One wonders what could have happened to make the afternoon and evening shows so different.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

DEH
Registered for: 16 years

Post by DEH »

to get special attention from that douche Bieber or other pop stars these days u have to pay for a meet and greet. not happening for free.

stevelecher

Post by stevelecher »

A lot of animus for the young star. I only wish some of these youngsters could learn from the mistakes of some of their predecessors.

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by elvisjock »

Rosemarie Leech told me the story of the blind girl, many years ago. Her husband, Len Leech, photographed the encounter.

Linda Thompson often says that Elvis was either as good and kind as an angel, or downright vicious and cruel, with not much in-between. As John points out, that day and night in Norfolk bear witness.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

DEH
Registered for: 16 years

Post by DEH »

these youngsters careers are not going to last as as long as their predecessors. half of them are lip synchers and their music has no depth. these type of acts come and go. they will be performing on cruise ships eventually. u think One direction will be around in 10 years? Jonas Bros were the next big thing and they are already done. remember avril lavigne? she can't attract 5,000 people at 20,000 seater anymore. all those boy bands have to go away so they can have a reunion tour 15 years later.lol

Topic author
memphisound
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Post by memphisound »

Rob wrote:
robbie wrote:Never knew that :shock: people sometimes forget the sweet side of the MAN
Elvis had a "sweet side" like no other. I talked to a lady a few years ago who could confirm this first hand.

Many of you know that during Elvis' evening show in Cincinnati in 1976, he makes an emergency announcement. He tells Carla Mulford of Lawrenceburg, Indiana to report to the emergency first aid station. Normally, he would not have made such an announcement. However, in this case, it definitely was an emergency.

I did a little investigative work recently and found the one and only Carla Mulford. She was a little hesitant to talk with me. Once she found out that I had a CD of the show and I was merely trying to find out the story behind the emergency, she opened up a little. She is now in her late 60's and at the time had a three-year old daughter named Beth. Beth was mentally retarded because of being born with fluid on her brain. Carla was very protective of the little girl and was hesitant to leave her alone to go see Elvis' show at the Riverfront Coliseum in Cincinnati on the evening of March 21, 1976.

With a little coaxing from her family, she did attend the concert. Unfortunately, Beth had a seizure while her mother and father were at the show. Family members rushed the girl to the hospital. At that time she was unresponsive. The medical staff said that they could not treat the girl without permission from the parents. They called the coliseum and asked that Beth's parents be paged immediately because it was a matter of life and death. One of the employees at the coliseum went on stage and handed the information to Elvis who promptly read it.

Carla Mulford heard the announcement and in a panic rushed to the emergency station and gave the doctors permission to treat Beth.

The little girl survived that night and lived for 23 more years. She finally passed away in 1999 after a lifetime of medical problems due to her condition. It was the only time that Carla Mulford ever attended an Elvis concert. She and her husband left the concert immediately following Elvis' announcement and rushed to the hospital, therefore missing much of the show.

Here's the great part of this story. When Elvis came off stage, he wanted to know what the emergency was all about. When he was told what had happened, he instructed someone to call the hospital to find out the condition of the little girl. Elvis specifically asked to talk to one of Beth's parents. He talked to Carla and found out that the little girl looked as if she was going to make it. She said her conversation with Elvis lasted about 5 minutes after she realized it was actually Elvis that she was talking to. She obviously did not believe him at first.

I am going to send her a copy of "Holding Back The Years" so that she can hear the rest of what she missed 31 years ago.

Carla and her husband still get around very well and are currently on vacation in Mexico.

Lawrenceburg, Indiana is about 45 minutes from here. It took a little detective work, but I was relieved to know that I finally found her. Maybe I should open up my own private investigation firm.

Anyway....that's the story of the Carla Mulford emergency in Cincinnati on the night of March 21, 1976.

Elvis Presley was certainly one of a kind and each day I am proud to call myself a fan.
Great story Rob, thank you for sharing. Certainly he had a big heart. And I'm glad you all enjoyed this story.

PREVIOUSLY BANNED MEMBER "BRADM".

stevelecher

Post by stevelecher »

DEH wrote:these youngsters careers are not going to last as as long as their predecessors. half of them are lip synchers and their music has no depth. these type of acts come and go. they will be performing on cruise ships eventually. u think One direction will be around in 10 years? Jonas Bros were the next big thing and they are already done. remember avril lavigne? she can't attract 5,000 people at 20,000 seater anymore. all those boy bands have to go away so they can have a reunion tour 15 years later.lol
This was said about Elvis in 1956. It seems Colonel Parker managed Elvis as if he would be a flash in the pan. If they're talented, they can stay around. Madonna's lasted many years, which I don't clearly understand. Timberlake's been around for awhile. Bieber's been in the spotlight for a few years now, hasn't he? Who knows what the future holds?