Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
frus75
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Question about mastering of the original LP It Happened At The World’s Fair

Post by frus75 »

Today I've been listening to original living stereo Elvis albums and I played it happened at the world's fair between golden records 3 and Pot Luck and noticed that world's fair sounds much more louder than the others and also there's like a silibance. I noticed it too on Girls Girls Girls.

Iván

La voz del Rey

clambake1967
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Re: Question about mastering of the original it happened at

Post by clambake1967 »

With an excellent audiophile stereo system there is no better thing that those US first pressing living stereo albums!

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by minkahed »

So what's the question ?

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Topic author
frus75

Post by frus75 »

clambake1967 wrote:With an excellent audiophile stereo system there is no better thing that those US first pressing living stereo albums!
I find that to be the case if we talk about Nashville recordings. Otherwise, for me, Fun in Acapulco sounds better than It Happened at the world's fair. By the way, the switch from Living Stereo to plain Stereo meant anything technically?

Iván

La voz del Rey

clambake1967
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by clambake1967 »

It is only a logo trademark. Logically it is not another form of recording very different. What happens is that it coincides with the best years in terms of that clarity of sound. I agree that Fun in Acapulco sounds great too.

Claus

Post by Claus »

frus75 wrote:
clambake1967 wrote:With an excellent audiophile stereo system there is no better thing that those US first pressing living stereo albums!
I find that to be the case if we talk about Nashville recordings. Otherwise, for me, Fun in Acapulco sounds better than It Happened at the world's fair. By the way, the switch from Living Stereo to plain Stereo meant anything technically?
No.

Topic author
frus75

Post by frus75 »

Thanks, Claus and Clambake.

Iván

La voz del Rey

Claus

Post by Claus »

The Canadian pressings had Living Stereo on the label a bit longer. The Canadian Roustabout had said Living Stereo.

minkahed

Re: Question about mastering of the original it happened at worl

Post by minkahed »

I just played this soundtrack, "It Happened At The World's Fair" 2 nites ago and I had a blast listening to my LPM Mono copy.

Yes, it's not gr8, per se, but Elvis' vocals are fabulous.

One of my personal favorites in this album is the opener, "Beyond the Bend".

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Buddy
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Buddy »

The sound of these recordings is really bad compared with the Blue Hawaii session. I will never understand that Elvis didn't care at all to record/deliver fine sounding records. During that time he recorded real "sound pearls" with Porter at the Studio B. If these soundtrack songs would have been used during the screening but selling them on records is unbelievable. And I bet (at least during that time when Elvis was a great seller ) NO ONE at the Hollywood Studios would have had the power to deny, if Elvis would have forced them to record as usual at the Studio B with Porter etc...

Mike Windgren
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

I don´t have an original U.S 1960 "Living Stereo" release of His Hand In Mine in my collection, I just have the U.S LPM release. I´ve been told that the U.S 1960 "Living Stereo" release sounds much better than a U.S 1964 "Stereo" release of the same album. I don´t know if it´s true or not.... :roll:.

What I know is that sound quality depends on what RCA pressing plant was the record pressed, the best are Hollywood & Indianapolis, the worst Rockaway!. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

Mike Windgren wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:19 pm

I don´t have an original U.S 1960 "Living Stereo" release of His Hand In Mine in my collection, I just have the U.S LPM release. I´ve been told that the U.S 1960 "Living Stereo" release sounds much better than a U.S 1964 "Stereo" release of the same album. I don´t know if it´s true or not.... :roll:.

What I know is that sound quality depends on what RCA pressing plant was the record pressed, the best are Hollywood & Indianapolis, the worst Rockaway!. Bye for now :smt006.
You now have me on a mission, as I am the proud owner of 3 LPM mint Mono Copies of "His Hand in Mine".

I'll now have to go listen to my "Living Stereo" version and maybe the 1976 re-release.. a substantial wedge as a subsandwich a subsandwich, not a man which....LOL

londonflash
Registered for: 21 years

Post by londonflash »

minkahed wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:15 pm
I just played this soundtrack, "It Happened At The World's Fair" 2 nites ago and I had a blast listening to my LPM Mono copy.

Yeah, that's a breezy little number.

Shame about the rather dry sound quality on those recordings, especially compared to the Studio B material and Fun In Acapulco, which is alive!

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

I'm curious if you could elaborate a bit, as I thought my Mono copy sounded wonderful.

I do have a Living Stereo copy with "bonus photo", still sealed and I have another that's open so I guess when I get off of work, I'll go home and check it out.

Thanks for the reply.

londonflash wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:14 am
minkahed wrote:

Shame about the rather dry sound quality on those recordings, especially compared to the Studio B material and Fun In Acapulco, which is alive!

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Buddy wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:44 pm
The sound of these recordings is really bad compared with the Blue Hawaii session. I will never understand that Elvis didn't care at all to record/deliver fine sounding records. During that time he recorded real "sound pearls" with Porter at the Studio B. If these soundtrack songs would have been used during the screening but selling them on records is unbelievable. And I bet (at least during that time when Elvis was a great seller ) NO ONE at the Hollywood Studios would have had the power to deny, if Elvis would have forced them to record as usual at the Studio B with Porter etc...
Agreed.

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

With a little bit of added reverb they can sound quite nice.

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

skabillyrebels
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by skabillyrebels »

JimmyCool wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:14 am
off topic
True but don't ask M.R.S to do the job. :smt003

Buddy
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Buddy »

JimmyCool wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:14 am
Let us say "better".
Play a song and compare it with a song from Somehing For Everybody, His Hand In Mine, Golden Records Vol.3 or Pot Luck etc. There is a very huge different. I would say the only soundtracks of the 60s which sounded really great were Blue Hawaii, Fun In Acapulco, Follow That Dream, Roustabout and Kid Galahad (just the Stereo masters of course) and the next one we had to wait about 4 years till Stay Away Joe. The ones inbetween are more or less really bad.

put a best of CD together and mix it like one studio B recording, next a soundtrack song and so on. very bad listening expierence. better to seperate them then you will hear the big difference not so much (like hearing the Command Performances...
really worse is GI Blues. about half of the tunes are sounding good, the others really bad because recorded on different locations.

You really notice that while listening to a Studio B LP like Something For Everybody when the final song I Slipped I Stumble I Fell appears. It is soundwise 3 levels below the others. The same with Steppin Out Of Line on Pot Luck. Listen to the Clambake LP were soundtrack- and non-soundtrack numbers were mixed together.
Almost on each Soundtrack album (Spinout, Double Trouble, Acapulco, Speedway) the Bonus Songs are far better recorded then the movie numbers.

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

Mike Windgren wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:19 pm

Thanks for the info, Mike. I own both the 1960 Living Stereo pressing and the 1964 Stereo pressing so will have to play them and compare. Also need to check where they were pressed.

Just curious regarding IHWTF, does anyone own a copy of the White Top Version of the LP released between 1964 and 1968 (pic below)? I picked up a copy a last year and was wondering if anyone else had a copy.

I have heard that this pressing is somewhat rare.
Last edited by Mike C on Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

As a whole the Paramount soundtracks sound better than the MGM soundtracks. I seem to remember Ernst saying MGM wanted Elvis recorded “dry.” Perhaps that’s part of the explanation.

MT

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Mike C wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:32 am
Just curious regarding IHWTF, does anyone own a copy of the White Top Version of the LP released between 1964 and 1968 (pic below)?

Mike, there's one on ebay right now... https://www.ebay.ca/itm/115000144497?hash=item1ac68af271:g:TUUAAOSwte5hR8dr

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

minkahed wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:35 am
I'm curious if you could elaborate a bit, as I thought my Mono copy sounded wonderful.

I do have a Living Stereo copy with "bonus photo", still sealed and I have another that's open so I guess when I get off of work, I'll go home and check it out.

Thanks for the reply.

londonflash wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:14 am
minkahed wrote:

Sorry for the late reply.

Ernst writes in A Life In Music that, for soundtracks, MGM insisted on recording everything "dry" / without echo so the results sound duller than the Studio B cuts.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

elvis-fan wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:35 am
Mike C wrote:
Just curious regarding IHWTF, does anyone own a copy of the White Top Version of the LP released between 1964 and 1968 (pic below)?

Mike, there's one on ebay right now... https://www.ebay.ca/itm/115000144497?hash=item1ac68af271:g:TUUAAOSwte5hR8dr
Thanks. In my earlier post, I meant to say I already owned a copy. Does anyone else on the board own this pressing?

Elvis as Danny Fisher

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Mike C wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:20 am
elvis-fan wrote:
Mike C wrote:

Thanks. In my earlier post, I meant to say I already owned a copy. Does anyone else on the board own this pressing?
I have a bid in for one... as well as a "white top" Fun In Acapulco...

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

elvis-fan wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:03 am
Mike C wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:20 am
elvis-fan wrote:
Mike C wrote:

I have a bid in for one... as well as a "white top" Fun In Acapulco...
Good luck!

Elvis as Danny Fisher