Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

MaryAnn
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Re: coronavirus

Post by MaryAnn »

daylon wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:30 pm
My unvaccinated 16yr old caught it last week, he’s getting a little better but he’s had a rough time of it.

With the infectious period being a few days before the symptoms came, I thought myself, wife and other boy would miss it ……. No such luck…..we’ve all got it…… for the 2nd time. My boys are in high school, we’re high risk of catching it.

I’m double vaccinated with the Astra and my wife with the Pfizer. Even being vaccinated, this virus still kicks VERY hard.
I had no symptoms the last time I got it but this time it isn’t very nice. You think you’re getting better then bang.. it’s back again with the nausea, high temps, headaches, coughing, body aches etc. Weirdest virus I’ve ever had.
Hopefully we’re on the mend?

Don’t underestimate this virus even if vaccinated, I know it’s hard but try to keep your guard up.
Daylon, thank you for sharing your (and your family’s) story. I will keep all of you in thought and prayer as you face this ordeal. We all need to take this virus seriously.

My granddaughter turned 12 on Sept. 2. She got her first dose of the Pfizer vaccine on Sept. 3. No side effects. Not even a sore arm.

I got my second dose of the Pfizer back on March 18. When I go into stores, church, etc., I wear my KN95 mask which is very comfortable. I plan to get my flu shot around Oct. 1 and my COVID booster shot around the middle of November. Bring on the Holidays! Only the vaccinated need attend! :wink: Luckily, my immediate family members are sensible, responsible people who are making good choices as we all move together through this pandemic.

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 9 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

daylon wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:30 pm
My unvaccinated 16yr old caught it last week, he’s getting a little better but he’s had a rough time of it.

With the infectious period being a few days before the symptoms came, I thought myself, wife and other boy would miss it ……. No such luck…..we’ve all got it…… for the 2nd time. My boys are in high school, we’re high risk of catching it.

I’m double vaccinated with the Astra and my wife with the Pfizer. Even being vaccinated, this virus still kicks VERY hard.
I had no symptoms the last time I got it but this time it isn’t very nice. You think you’re getting better then bang.. it’s back again with the nausea, high temps, headaches, coughing, body aches etc. Weirdest virus I’ve ever had.
Hopefully we’re on the mend?

Don’t underestimate this virus even if vaccinated, I know it’s hard but try to keep your guard up.
Wishing you all a speedy recovery!

-instagram kenh1964

Ciscoking
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Ciscoking »

My cousin from Tennessee just did of corona. Delta. She was 70. It went so very fast. Few days in hospital. She was healthy throughout her life. May she RIP.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

MaryAnn
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by MaryAnn »

My sincere condolences to you and your family on the loss of your cousin, Ciscoking.

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

Ciscoking wrote:My cousin from Tennessee just did of corona. Delta. She was 70. It went so very fast. Few days in hospital. She was healthy throughout her life. May she RIP.
Very sorry to hear this news. My condolences.

Always Elvis
Anthony

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Ciscoking wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:37 pm
My cousin from Tennessee just died of corona. Delta. She was 70. It went so very fast. Few days in hospital. She was healthy throughout her life. May she RIP.
Condolences to you and your family.

daylon
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by daylon »

Ciscoking wrote:
My cousin from Tennessee just did of corona. Delta. She was 70. It went so very fast. Few days in hospital. She was healthy throughout her life. May she RIP.
So sorry to hear that.

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Rob »

MaryAnn wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:14 am
Bring on the Holidays! Only the vaccinated need attend! :wink:
Completely agree. Everyone that I even slightly give a damn about is fully vaccinated. It will be a COMPLETELY different Christmas this year than it was last year.

Fa la la la la la la la la!

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

BrianTCB
Registered for: 13 years 4 months

Post by BrianTCB »

Rob wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:57 pm
MaryAnn wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:14 am
Bring on the Holidays! Only the vaccinated need attend! :wink:
Completely agree. Everyone that I even slightly give a damn about is fully vaccinated. It will be a COMPLETELY different Christmas this year than it was last year.

Fa la la la la la la la la!
Exactly. Seconded on only the vaccinated may attend.

:D :D :D :D :D

Mister Mike
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Mister Mike »

Just make sure you only spread holiday cheer....

Elvis fan. From Sun to Sundial.

elvis4life
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Post by elvis4life »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2021/09/20/us-international-travel-restrictions-travel-ban/8357843002/

US to drop travel ban for vaccinated international travelers starting in early November

Bailey Schulz , Eve Chen | USA TODAY

The United States announced a new international air travel system Monday, opening travel for all vaccinated foreign nationals in early November, including those currently impacted by the U.S. travel ban.

"This vaccination requirement deploys the best tool we have in our arsenal to keep people safe and prevent the spread of the virus," said White House COVID-19 Response Coordinator Jeff Zients. "Vaccines continue to show that they're highly effective, including against the delta variant, and the new system allows us to implement strict protocols to prevent the spread of COVID-19."

Travelers will need to show proof of full vaccination prior to boarding U.S.-bound planes. A COVID-19 test will also continue to be required within three days of departure and proof of negative results must be shown. Enhanced contact tracing and masking will also be required, but there will be no quarantine mandate.

The new policy also adds more stringent testing requirements for unvaccinated U.S. travelers, who will need to test within one day of departure and once again after arrival.

Zients said the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will release a list of accepted vaccinations before the new policy goes into effect, as well as a contact tracing order that requires airlines to collect information such as phone numbers and email addresses of all U.S.-bound travelers.

"This will enable CDC and state and local public health officials to follow up with inbound travelers and those around them as someone has potentially been exposed to COVID-19 or other pathogens," Zients said. "(It) will also strengthen our public health surveillance system against any future public health threats."

Vaccinated Americans are still subject to the CDC's requirement, put in place in January, to test negative for COVID no more than three days before an international flight to the US.

The U.S. ban on nonessential travel has been in place since early 2020, starting with China and expanding to visitors from, the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, the 29 regions in the European Schengen region, Iran, Brazil, South Africa and India.

European Union Ambassador to the U.S. Stavros Lambrinidis hinted at the decision on Twitter earlier Monday, before sharing the news: "Travel ban lifted! Vaccinated, pre-flight tested Europeans will again be able to travel to the US from November, just as vaccinated Americans are today allowed to travel to the EU."

The U.S. has been among the slowest countries to lift its travel restrictions. While Canada reopened its land borders to U.S. travelers in early August, the U.S. has yet to announce when it will ease its land border restrictions. And even as European countries eased travel restrictions on U.S. travelers in the early summer months, the U.S.'s travel ban held fast.

In mid-July, as the country was under mounting pressure from European capitals and travel industry leaders to lift the travel ban, President Joe Biden said his response team was reviewing the travel restrictions and suggested changes would be announced in the coming days. White House press secretary Jen Psaki noted later that month that there were “ongoing working groups” focused on how to reopen international travel into the U.S.

But as COVID-19 cases began to spike once again, the administration pivoted and announced that travel restrictions would remain in place.

"Given where we are today … with the delta variant, we will maintain existing travel restrictions at this point for a few reasons," Psaki said at a press briefing in late July.

The U.S. has already reported more COVID-19 deaths in September than in all of August, with deaths now averaging nearly 2,000 per day, according to USA TODAY analysis of Johns Hopkins data.

'Travel bans are really kind of silly'

In recent months, countries in the U.S. travel ban – including Italy, France, Spain and Sweden – have tightened entry requirements for travelers from the U.S. due to rising COVID-19 cases. Quarantine mandates, vaccine requirements and outright bans are some of the restrictions international U.S. travelers now face.

Critics and health experts have also questioned the effectiveness of the travel bans, especially after the U.S. took on its fourth surge of COVID-19 with the mandates in place.

When COVID-19 case counts are high, "travel bans are really kind of silly," Susan Hassig, an epidemiologist at the Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, told USA TODAY. "We've already got more than enough virus circulating."

U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Monday on Twitter that he was "delighted" to hear that the travel ban would drop on vaccinated U.K. residents, and called the new travel policy a "fantastic boost for business and trade."

U.S. Travel Association President and CEO Roger Dow said the new policy should help revive the American economy.

“This is a major turning point in the management of the virus and will accelerate the recovery of the millions of travel-related jobs that have been lost due to international travel restrictions," Dow said in a Monday statement.

The Association of Flight Attendants-CWA, which represents nearly 50,000 Flight Attendants at 17 airlines, said the new travel policy "only increases (the) health and safety" in air travel.

"We applaud the Biden Administration for announcing plans to reunite families and open travel with strict procedures to ensure transportation doesn't aid in the spread of the virus," AFA President Sara Nelson said in a Monday statement. "International travel is essential to the stability of our jobs and the full recovery of the U.S. airline industry, but recovery is only possible if we remain focused first on safety and health.

elvis4life

Post by elvis4life »

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Sometime soon but certainly by December Australia will lift its travel bans.However just as different states change the covid regulations (such as England/Wales/Scotland )and in Australia every one of the 8 states has different Covid rules with naybe WA and Queensland ending up behind the rest and isolated until 2022.

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 7 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

Ciscoking wrote:
So sorry to hear this Ciscoking. Keeping all of your family in prayers and wishing you peace in these days.

elvis4life

Post by elvis4life »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/shopping/2021/09/24/costco-limiting-purchases-toilet-paper-other-items/5841158001/

Costco placing purchase limits on toilet paper, other products due to COVID-related demand
Brett Molina
USA TODAY

If you're planning to get toilet paper, paper towels or bottled water on your next Costco shopping trip, you might find there's a limit to how much you can buy. You can blame supply-chain issues and the rise of the delta variant.

During the retailer's quarterly earnings call Thursday, Costco chief financial officer Richard Galanti cited supply chain issues such as port delays, container shortages and COVID disruptions for the limits on purchases.

Galanti also cited a spike in demand linked to the delta variant, which has quickly spread across the U.S.

"We're putting some limitations on key items, like bath tissues, roll towels, Kirkland Signature water, high-demand cleaning-related SKUs related to the uptick in delta-related demand," Galanti said.

Galanti noted delays and shortages on furniture as well as chip shortages impacting the availability of items such as computers, tablets and appliances.

In August, Costco posted an update saying some items at its locations may impose temporary purchase limits.

More Americans are reportedly stockpiling toilet paper again as the delta variant surges. During similar upticks in toilet paper buying last year, retailers placed limits on how much consumers could buy in one shopping trip.

In a recent statement to USA TODAY, Kimberly-Clark, which makes Cottonelle and Scott toilet tissue, and Kleenex, said it "is monitoring the situation closely." Georgia-Pacific, which makes Angel Soft and Quilted Northern toilet paper as well as Brawny and Sparkle paper towels, said customers "may be experiencing small demand surges locally and we are responding."

Mike Snider contributed to this report. Follow Brett Molina on Twitter: @brettmolina23.

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

U.S. Coronavirus Death Toll Surpasses 700,000 Despite Wide Availability of Vaccines.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/01/us/us-covid-deaths-700k.html?referringSource=articleShare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always Elvis
Anthony

elvis4life

Post by elvis4life »

Former WWE wrestler, now politician Glenn "Kane" Jacobs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kane_(wrestler) regarding mandates:

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Well Australia in N.S.W. is basically opening up come monday 11th October with case loads about 1/3rd of the peak and 70% vaccinated double dose .Change of premier but only slight changes.Have to see how it goes but i have been enjoying outdoor swimming for 2 weeks since 27th Sept now! Next week i can swim, have a pub lunch and a haircut if i want ( providing i show my vaccination certificates) so indeed worst seems to be over i guess until alarms about rising Covid?

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

pmp
Registered for: 4 years 11 months

Post by pmp »

A good news story from the UK today, has Sir Simon Rattle and the London Symphony Orchestra performing a concert to be streamed free to care homes across the country "as a thank you and gift to staff and residents for their hard work and resilience during the pandemic." Much preferable to a patronising round of applause led by the PM.

https://www.thestrad.com/news/care-homes-to-receive-free-lso-concert-livestream-tonight/13788.article

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

elvis4life

Post by elvis4life »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-10-08/merck-s-covid-pill-faces-risk-that-virus-could-outsmart-it

Merck’s Covid Pill Faces Risk That Virus Could Outsmart It
By Thomas Mulier and Riley Griffin
October 8, 2021, 12:00 AM EDT Updated on October 8, 2021, 10:00 AM EDT

Merck & Co.’s experimental pill for Covid-19 should be accompanied by other treatments as soon as they’re available to cut the risk of drug resistance that would limit its effectiveness, Wellcome foundation director Jeremy Farrar said.

While yet to be cleared by regulators, Merck’s molnupiravir has been hailed as a potential breakthrough, as it could be relatively cheap and easy to make, doesn’t require infusion and has shown it reduces the risk of hospitalization in a trial. Yet it may need to be combined with other drugs to head off resistance, Farrar said.

Resistance occurs when viruses and bacteria evolve to blunt or defeat drugs’ mechanism of attack. It’s a constant concern for antivirals and antibiotics and has already been seen with Covid treatments such as Eli Lilly & Co.’s antibody therapy. Farrar suggested Merck’s pill would be no exception, despite optimism that it may be a potent new weapon to fight the pandemic.

“The thought that you could have an oral drug readily available that you could take as soon as you have a suspicion of infection -- that’s a huge step forward globally,” Farrar said. But he emphasized the importance of combining it with other drugs as soon as possible to “delay the onset of resistance.”

Earlier Experiments
While this is always a concern for anti-infectives, the likelihood that it will become a severe problem for molnupiravir appears to be low, said Nick Kartsonis, senior vice-president of clinical research for infectious diseases and vaccines at Merck Research Labs. Earlier experiments with other viruses showed that the evolution of resistant mutations was rare, he said.

The course of treatment is short, meaning that viruses get few chances to evolve into resistant forms. Another reason lies in the drug’s mechanism of action. Pioneered by researchers at Emory University and other academic centers and later licensed by Merck’s partner Ridgeback Therapeutics LP, molnupiravir works by introducing errors into the coronavirus’s genetic material. The errors are then replicated until the virus is defunct.

Merck’s analysis has shown that the errors induced by the drug are spread more or less randomly throughout the viral genome. That means that the virus has fewer opportunities to develop mutant forms that will overcome those errors.

“That in and of itself makes resistance a tough thing,” Kartsonis said.

Still, although Merck isn’t pursuing combinations right now, molnupiravir may be more effective if used with other drugs that prove successful, Kartsonis said. That may also lower the potential for resistance even further, he said.

Merck shares fell as much as 1% as of 10 a.m. in New York.

Attacking Pathogens
Many drugs have been far more effective in combination than when used on their own. The first drugs developed for HIV, when used singly, quickly stopped working because resistant strains evolved that could defeat the drugs’ attack. By attacking pathogens from several angles, drug cocktails make the evolution of such variants less likely. Now, HIV combination treatments stay effective in individual patients for years.

Numerous other companies are working on pills to treat Covid through a variety of approaches. Pfizer Inc. began late-stage trials of an oral treatment this summer and expects data before the end of the year. Israel-based Redhill Biopharma Ltd.’s experimental therapy, opaganib, cut deaths in a group of patients with moderately severe Covid, according to data released earlier this month. Wellcome itself has pledged 8 million pounds ($11 million) for a project, called Covid Moonshot, to find a drug that would block a key protein the coronavirus uses to replicate.

An early study published last week showed molnupiravir has the potential to cut the rate of hospitalization and death by around 50% in mild to moderate Covid patients. A widely available Covid pill could be “massively important” in developing countries where hospital access is limited and vaccinations aren’t readily available, Farrar said.

Lining Up
Countries are already lining up to secure supplies of the Merck drug. The company has said it will file for U.S. authorization as soon as possible, and European Union drug authorities may begin a rolling review of the drug that could speed clearance there.

Still, preventing the disease through vaccines remains a better strategy than relying on treatment, U.S. presidential adviser Anthony Fauci said Wednesday.

The Wellcome foundation has been fighting for more equitable access to vaccines, tests and treatments for Covid-19 and is funded by a 29 billion-pound ($39 billion) investment portfolio. Farrar spoke in an interview ahead of a conference of Gesda, the Geneva Science and Diplomacy Accelerator, a group that tries to bring scientists and politicians closer together.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Great news from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia - the worlds most lockdown state - is that lockdown number six is over !!!
The bad news is their daily community cases numbers remains shockingly high - 2232 new locally acquired cases of COVID-19, the state's second highest daily total of the pandemic but Victoria has passed the 70 per cent full-vaccination milestone. My State of South Australia is very complacent as we've seen very few cases but vaccine rate is 59 percent double-dosed. Speaking of which, i get my second pfizer jab this morning.

Melbourne lockdown ends 22nd October 2021

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/oct/22/melbourne-covid-lockdown-...

You can have visitors in your home
In Victoria you can have 10 visitors including dependents in your home a day.

Haircuts
Hairdressers and personal care venues can have up to five fully vaccinated customers. There is no limit once 80% is reached.

Travel
The 15km travel limit in Melbourne ends when lockdown ends, however people in Melbourne cannot travel to regional Victoria and vice versa until the 80% target is reached.

Retail
Still closed except for outdoor service and click and collect. Retail is fully open once the 80% target is reached.

Pubs and restaurants open
In Melbourne, pubs and restaurants can accept 20 fully vaccinated people indoors, and 50 outdoors.
Entertainment venues cannot host people indoors in Melbourne, but can host up to 50 vaccinated people outdoors.

https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/face-masks#when-do-i-need-to-wear-a-face-mask

When do I need to wear a face mask?
Anyone 12 years and over must wear a fitted face mask whenever they leave their home, indoors or outdoors, unless lawful exception applies.

pmp
Registered for: 4 years 11 months

Post by pmp »

The problem we have at the moment in the UK is that there are endless amounts of scientists and health experts on our TV screens and quoted in newspapers, and they all predict different things. Yes, we hit 50,000 cases a day last week, and there were calls for increased restrictions. But people forget that we also hit 50,000 cases just two days before we came out of lockdown. And the media are acting as if the current rise in infections is equivalent to rises we have had before. But cases have risen (up to Friday) by about 10-15% in a week. There have been times when they have nearly doubled in that time. And cases this weekend there has been around 4000 fewer than last weekend - but that doesn't make for such a sensational headline, of course.

Meanwhile, experts are saying that the public is ignoring their advice. But it's hardly surprising. Here's two headlines, both from the Daily Telegraph, posted 24 hours apart...

Screenshot 2021-10-24 230557.jpg
Screenshot 2021-10-24 230734.jpg

And so it's hardly surprising that anyone taking the paper on a daily basis is going to be somewhat confused. Are the cases rising enough to change rules in schools, or are they about to slump?

And just to add to the confusion, despite one paper saying there is going to be a slump, another (the Mirror) posted this headline a few hours later...

Screenshot 2021-10-24 233503.jpg

It's hardly surprising why people have just stopped trying to work out what the hell is going on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

Beale
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Beale »

It's been a devastating past 19 months. I was nervous about the vaccine but I recently got my second, and in the end, mainly did it to try and do my small part to help, and protect myself aswell.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Big news if you're living in the U.K.
This is also great news for people with diabetes and heart disease.

Britain approves Merck's COVID-19 pill in world first -

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/britain-approves-mercks-oral-covid-19-pill-2021-11-04/

Australia's Therapeutic Goods Administration has not yet approved the drug but the federal government announced last month it has ordered 300,000 courses.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Hot on the heels of the Merck, there's news of a Pfizer tablet version (albeit not formally approved at this stage).

I expect there will be more anti virus pills before too long. This is wonderful news to folks who are, for one reason or another, against vaccine treatment.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59178291