KISSOLOGY 3

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
genesim
Registered for: 21 years

Re: KISSOLOGY 3

Post by genesim »

No more "sleazy" then Elvis was in his day. Though the obvious difference is that Gene has more control over his own destiny and will probably live to a ripe old age.

That said, he is way less of a talent, and often tries to take credit for things he didn't do...and conversely won't admit his mistakes.

But that isn't necessarily a bad thing. One does what it takes to survive and it has obviously served him well. Other stars that died prematurely could have learned a thing or two from this metality. Care about yourself FIRST and you life will be much better for it.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Back to Kissology. The best filmed performance I have to say was the VMA's. Too bad that this technique wasn't used on the rest of the set. I hate the camera work and it was filmed too close thus masking the greatness of the full picture. While the millenium easter egg was interesting with Ace singing 2000 man, I couldn't help but feel sad at how horrible he looked and sang. It reminded me of EIC. He was actually crying(I think) and to have a moment go to waste, is plum pitiful. Ace can't blame Gene for all of it. He did it himself. On a side note, I think the VMA's would have been much better with New York Groove rather then the usual tired RNRoll All Nite that has been done to death!

All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for noone-Tony Montana

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

Yea the VMA gets my vote for the best footage from '96, too bad they didn't put on a full show under the Brooklyn Bridge. Still they did do like 5 songs, so that was cool! I also love the Detroit Rock City premier concert... its like they stuffed the whole "Kiss" experience into the 5 songs performed. Genesim the reason that so much of the '96 footage is filmed so "upclose" is that they just used on the Kissology sets the video feeds that were shown on the jumbotrons at the concerts... the NYC '96 show from MSG was much better presented than the show they had from Tiger stadium '96. They had to include the Tiger stadium show in the main set for obvious reasons. But over all I like the NYC show better...... I also hated how on the Detroit '96 footage they just left the screen you are watching completely BLANK between songs!! WTF?? I can understand that maybe they didn't film those parts but they could have edited in some still photos while the band is talking... instead of leaving it completely blank! I've enjoyed this third volume already more than the other two... I haven't watched the '98 Psycho Circus show yet from Dodgers stadium(i will this weekend though) I've had a bootleg version of "The Last Kiss" from the 2000 tour for at least 6 years now.... I enjoy that show alot also, and its great to have it included in the set. Thumbs up all the way around on Vol3 of Kissology! :D

Merry Kissmas!!

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

genesim wrote:No more "sleazy" then Elvis was in his day.
That's a good one!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by midnightx »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
genesim wrote:No more "sleazy" then Elvis was in his day.
That's a good one!
Yes, genesim should elaborate on that one.

Topic author
genesim

Post by genesim »

Ummm do I really need to?

Here is a clue. POOL STICK. We have all discussed these things before. Not to diss E, but he was obviously no saint, and yes some of the things he has done through the year are downright sleazy. Again, as a person(not as a better star or person etc), who has had more control of his life, I take offense at someone calling Gene Simmons SLEAZY as I would if someone called Elvis Presley this. Doc c'mon, is this really worth the time and effort? Are you really questioning these facts??

Actually Gene Simmons is someone worth admiring for the opposite reasons above. Been with the same women for a number of years. Raising great kids(and yes his son's presence on the Carnival of Souls sessions on the box set also solidifies my assessment). Being a great salesman or caring about yourself first is also a good thing to be and not worthy of this label. Hell even having worthy acting nods such as the Movie Runaway or Wanted Dead or Alive.

While I don't agree with everything he does, there is obviousy much to admire about the man. And many aspects where Elvis fell short. Elvis was a great entertainer and had a lot of love for his fans, but he wasn't exactly a great husband, great to even his girlfriends, didn't have judgement when he picked his friends or movies he worked in, and for all the dreck that Genes Simmons recorded in the 80's, there wasn't anything that hit a number of Elvis' lows, not to mention the fact that he wrote and composed his own songs and arguably came up with part of THE most catchy Rock N Roll songs of all time(thats right WROTE), and not to mention Elvis was a drug addict. If Gene Simmons is sleazy for not having these attributes, then I don't know what gives.

It is sleazy to fire your friends after having them for so many years on your payroll with no notice. It is sleazy to actively betray your wife(and yes, some of the comments he made while he was married and the way he acted make it more then obvious). Gene Simmons obviously has an open relationship with his wife and has stated that she is free to do what she chooses. A bit different then what Elvis did to Precillia. What about feeding her drugs while she was a minor??

It is sleazy for Elvis to be screwing around with a 14 year old and then coming back and lying about it on a taped interview. Etc. etc.

I like Elvis and Kurt Cobain's work, but I don't see a whole lot to emulate when it comes to their personal lives.

That said, when it comes to Elvis, I still liked him. And sometimes it is his faults that make me at least understand that alot of it was indicative of his circumstances. But truth is truth.

But yes this all goes off track. This post is about the box set. Same as the Led Zeppelin post was about the reunion.

If you don't celebrate KISSOLOGY and appreciate the art, then good. Go away and haunt somebody else.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Jeff D, I agree all the way. More later. Still working on them too!

All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for noone-Tony Montana

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by minkahed »

I have always been a moderate KISS fan and have only recently started really respecting their musicianship and craft a great deal within the past year or so.

My wife bought me a copy of "KISSOLOGY III" this past week, but it's still sealed.

Bless her heart, she didn't know about Volumes 1 and 2, nor did I even think she would care.

I've seen footage from the Volume 2 box, (thought it ROCKED), but My question is:

Should I go back and start from Volume 1, or should I just go for broke and open up Volume 3 and work my way back :?:

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

minkahead, if it were me I would just go ahead and watch your KV3.

KV1 and KV3 are the most essential sets IMO...

Volume 2 was a very frustrating experience to me.... because there is soo much left out from those years. They don't have any full concerts from the Asylum tour(I saw this tour and it was a kick a** show the best tour I saw with them in the 80s)... they did not include the Animalize Live show which was a disapointment again that they had NOTHING on the set from that tour as well... and they only show TWO songs from a Lick It Up show where they first performe without makeup.

Basicly this is what is on Vol2:
Kiss Meets the Phantom movie (if you can make it though this flick without falling asleep congrats!)
Australia '80 (full show, but overdubbed quite abit, which gets annoying to me)
Brazil '82 show with V. Vincent on guitar (good show highly edited though)
Kiss unmasking special from MTV
First show without makeup in Portugal (two songs only)
Crazy Nights show from Philly (again only a partial show, about 5 or 6 songs, kinda boring and the constumes suck)
Hot in The Shade tour show from Detroit '90 (full show presented, FINALLY a full nonmakup show on this set)

....also I would go ahead and open your KV3 set and look for scratches on the discs, that seems to be a problem with fans that have purchased this set.... I had scratches on discs from KV2 but not the others.

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Topic author
genesim

Post by genesim »

For a KISS fanatic, you must have all 3.

But the first volume is the most essential historically. The latest version. The best technically. The Unplugged alone is worth the price of admission.

Great stuff all the way around.

On a side note. KISS Symphony is another great one to have!

Still haven't got KISS Rock The Nation. That one is probably cool too!

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Do any of the volumes have a documentary on how to apply make-up as well as Gene Simmons?

Topic author
genesim

Post by genesim »

No. But I think there may be some easter egg clues to who your real father is. With your mothers promiscuous history, this a rare find indeed.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

No make-up tips? That's a shame. Any tips on how to squeeze a big gut into a leather jumpsuit? That may be just what you need.

JonRomanovich

Post by JonRomanovich »

Gene sleazy - similar to Elvis.

Gene on his best day is an average bassist with alot of luck. He became a "businessman" after he made his millions, not before. Most of his philosophies related to business are horse sh*t. (Granted I started playing bass because of him-so I dont mean to hammer him). I would compare Gene to Col Parker before I compare anybody associated with KISS to Elvis.

I guess you could say they were both "Rebels" and took certain music to another level.

iF iT'S tOO lOUD, yOU ARE tOO oLD

I'm on facebook!! Jon Romanovich

Topic author
genesim

Post by genesim »

Now you are making fun of my big gut....you have gone too far!!! :P

xxxxxxxxxx

I don't agree that Gene became a business man after KISS. He clearly bankrolled alot of their success. He obviously had many career aspirations, and his book outlines this in detail.

I don't fault anyone that is doing the best they can with what they are given.

Greatest bass player..no. Greatest songwriter...no. But a hell of alot more talented then some of the "typist" bass players out there. He has been involved with some of the catchiest bass lines every put to paper, and also layed down some lyrics that got the whole damn world singing.

The people that put him down need to take a good look at theirselves and aske "just what have I accomplished lately?...if not EVER!"

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

genesim wrote:Now you are making fun of my big gut....you have gone too far!!! :P

xxxxxxxxxx

I don't agree that Gene became a business man after KISS. He clearly bankrolled alot of their success. He obviously had many career aspirations, and his book outlines this in detail.

I don't fault anyone that is doing the best they can with what they are given.

Greatest bass player..no. Greatest songwriter...no. But a hell of alot more talented then some of the "typist" bass players out there. He has been involved with some of the catchiest bass lines every put to paper, and also layed down some lyrics that got the whole damn world singing.

The people that put him down need to take a good look at theirselves and aske "just what have I accomplished lately?...if not EVER!"
You don't have to be the best of anything, to accomplish things in life. I'm sure he's extremely proud of what he's accomplished musically, as well as that big bankroll he has!

Topic author
genesim

Post by genesim »

I don't know whether Gene Simmons would have been a millionaire, but he clearly would have been a financial success. Which isn't bad for the offspring of a holocaust survivor.

Despite not having a father and his mom working two jobs to make ends meet, he has done quite well for himself.

While making a nice sum of money from his comic book ventures, as well as being a school teacher and working at cosmopolitan, he no doubt would have never settled for less.

Which of course is what I preach on this board as well. No happy to take a handout, you have to fight for what you get in the USA. Some people hate this, because they look at the own life and realize how much is missing. So they only thing they have is to put down others that have done well for themselves...and even further try to have that wealth taken from them.

When I look at Gene Simmons life so far, I don't see a whole lot not to admire. I don't agree with all his decisions, I certaintly can understand why he feels the way he does.

With all his shameless KISS Coffins or faking with the Ace and Peterless makeup, one doesn't have to look far to know that he has done a hell of alot right. To promote your success is not a bad thing, and even in his books, he shows an underlying doubt. In other words, perhaps he knows he isn't "all that", but he certaintly gives a nice impression, to the point that others actually flip their wigs and call him names because of his confidence.

I remember reading an article called Staight From The Lips Of Gene Simmons and it changed me forever(I might have said this on the board before). Hell I have it framed. :oops: To me, this was my Ed Sullivan show. I never looked at my friends, direction, loves, peers..etc the same anymore. Sure there are better motivational speakers out there, but it was at that point of my life that counted the most. To this day I try to live up to the standard that he preached back then first.
At every stage of my career, people told me things I don't want to hear. It's nice to listen to others, but you must ultimately listen to yourself. Lead, don't follow. Believe in yourself. Everybody gets on a bandwagon, good or bad, but your original thought is what's important. Now what "everyone" thinks, what YOU think. That's what matters.
You know, I look at some of the nimrods that make fun of KISS for dressing up, and they almost always don't understand the meaning. KISS is about being individuals. 4 guys getting together and being whatever they want to be. It is what they preach in their music. There is no "WE" in I Want To Rock And Roll All Nite.

To spell it out here in its entirety would take forever. All I can do is paint part of the picture. But damn do they make you feel good if you are ever feeling down. I remember Doc making fun of Lick It Up as not having deep enough lyrics compared to Kurt Cobain and I can't think of many better words to live by.

"Life such a treat and its time you taste, there ain't a reason on earth to waste it!"

Patrick68
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Patrick68 »

Kissology 3 is very good, got it in Montreal for only $19.99!!!
Anyways for a 5 disc set, this is one is the best of the 3 in sound and quality. There has been talk that all things that had to be left off the first 3 volumes for whatever reason, will be included in future volumes, maybe they will call them "KISSOLOGY-The RARITIES"????

I am pissed that the bonus disc in Canada is the same in all stores (LA 1996 Dress Rehearsal) I would love to get the version with the 1994 Brazil bonus disc, does anyone have paypal so I could buy that version off of them??

ELVIS ROCKS!

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

Well I STILL... haven't seen that Brazil '94 show, I ordered the set from BestBuy.com and they were very prompt and my package was delivered to me on Christmas eve... BUT the bonus disc that they sent me was the KROQ Weenie Roast '96 show! Instead of the Brazil '94 show they had listed on their website. I really couldn't complain very much because I thought this show was really cool! This is actually the real first time that all original members played together again since 1979, not the Tiger stadium gig! Yes there are some miner things that go wrong with the pryro and what not, no biggie really & it is also filmed better with more hidef cameras than the other '96 shows. It was also kinda cool to see them on a different/smaller stage set up than they actually ended up using on the '96 tour. ANYWAY.... i really liked the KROQ show just fine. I'm going to try to get that Brazil '94 show from other means.

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Topic author
genesim

Post by genesim »

Jeff D. I am going to tell you now. Yes it is nice to have an alternate to the Hills show in 1992. And the quality is very good and any thing with Bruce and Eric is a good thing.

But I think the Wheenie Roast is more historic and the better one to have. Just my opinion. But hey, who knows, this might be the last set, so raise some more money and find it again!!! 2 done, one more to go. Yeah it hurts the pocket book, but I was a sucker too, and I have no regrets. I am glad I did it. Best box set yet!!

Incidently, I got Rock The Nation for Christmas. Great disc, and I don't see what the big deal was with Paul Stanleys terrorist speech. Kiss doesn't make pollitical speeches often, so when it was done, it was articulate and precise. I think it was heartfelt and worth saying.

The rest of the show I thought was entertaining, and it makes me want more. I can't believe I am saying this, but yes, even without Peter and Ace, the show was very well done.

On a side complaint though, Tommy Thayer isn't half the player Bruce is, and it is apparent when they cut Unholy solo short, and the robot way he does the solo in Tears Are Falling. He can't nail it, and it is painfully obvious. There is a finnesse with playing a solo, and on the Kiss Symphony this is a problem as well with certain Ace solos. In contrast take a look at Bruce on the Unplugged special or Animalize. Is there anything he can't play!! Vinnie was no slouch and Bruce absolutely nails them all! I wish he was with the group again. I don't care if he wears the makeup, he needs to be back. The only real Ace replacement IMHO.

Patrick68
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Patrick68 »

genesim, I agree Bruce Kulick is a great guitar player, maybe even the best KISS has ever had. I met him in 1992 backstage during the Revenge tour, and once again in 2001 during a KISS convention, this guy is so down to earth, and he clearly is not a big headed person.
Back to Kissology 3, the worst disc/show on the set is the Tiger Stadium show, between each song the screen goes totally black!! You hear Paul talking but the screen is black, and during God Of Thunder u do not see Gene go up to the rafters, the screen is once again dark, I don't know why this is. Very frustrating.

ELVIS ROCKS!

Topic author
genesim

Post by genesim »

Yes I agree. A total abomination. Horrendous that such a high profile show be filmed like sheeite!

Still, at least we got the others. I prefer they film just a little farther back, but I guess it is better then nothing at all. Kind of reminds me of the San Fransico 75 where they keep focussing on the candles in between each song.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

ColinB wrote:
ColinB wrote:
midnightx wrote:There is nothing sexier than Gene Simmons in leather and make-up.
How about Jean Simmons ?
Nobody remember Jean ?

She was pretty tasty in her day........................

So, it's official, then.

I'm the only one on here who remembers Jean Simmons............................

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

genesim wrote:Been with the same women for a number of years.
Yep, all 200 of them. With some, he even remembers their name!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
genesim

Post by genesim »

I thought it was alot higher then that....but what does this have to do with being mutually in love and devoting to someone? Thats what I meant.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

genesim wrote:I thought it was alot higher then that....but what does this have to do with being mutually in love and devoting to someone? Thats what I meant.
Yes, hundreds, if not thousands of one-night-stands and affairs shows great devotion and love towards a significant other. Simmons is truly a role model.

Topic author
genesim

Post by genesim »

And you obviously don't know the difference between sex and love.

No matter, I doubt very seriously with that mentality you are hardly fit to judge Gene and Shannons relationship or his place as a father.

Meanwhile...I wonder how you historically came to your conclusions.

Whatever the situation, it has obviously worked so far for them and yes this is obviously someone to look up to in many facets. What have you done lately?
Last edited by genesim on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.