That's The Way It Is (FTD Records/2008)

Post here all reviews related to Offical RCA/BMG/FTD releases

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

ColinB

Re: That's The Way It Is (FTD Records/2008)

Post by ColinB »

javilu wrote:Bollocks. If FTD managed to make Viva Las Vegas and Raised on rock sound just as good as the outtakes, they could have done that with Harum Scarum too, right? RIGHT?
Too right, javilu........................

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Topic author
JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

The sound on VLV (FTD) is too bright, harsh, loud for my taste. All the "warmth" has been blasted away.

Topic author
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

javilu wrote:Bollocks. If FTD managed to make Viva Las Vegas and Raised on rock sound just as good as the outtakes, they could have done that with Harum Scarum too, right? RIGHT?
You can't polish a turd, right? RIGHT?

javilu

Post by javilu »

Well, no matter how crappy is the album, with the price of FTDs I expect a decent sound even on lousy albums like HS.

“Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.”

Topic author
The Welz

Post by The Welz »

I guess they tried to restore the original sound of HS. Too bad that the original sound was something for the trash can......

Davy

Post by Davy »

I was happy with this FTD. TTWII is my favourite Elvis record, and to hear this much more of it is sweet (though where was this material just a few years ago for the 3CD box? :roll: ) Good to hear so much of one of my fave tracks, Patch It Up. The guitar on some of the alternate takes is remarkable. James Burton must have been quite aggrieved at some of the material he played on that didn;t see the light of day, FTD's like this and 6363 Sunset have some great Burton playing.

Topic author
JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Davy: The way I see it the TTWII 3 cd set of 8 years ago was more about promoting the then brand new SE movie than it was about promoting the original album tracks.

That has now been rectified with the release of the 2 cd TTWII FTD. Which has the original album as its focus.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

JerryNodak wrote:Davy: The way I see it the TTWII 3 cd set of 8 years ago was more about promoting the then brand new SE movie than it was about promoting the original album tracks.

That has now been rectified with the release of the 2 cd TTWII FTD. Which has the original album as its focus.
There is no reason for anyone to knock the 3 disc 'Special Edition.' As Jerry points out, the 'Special Edition' set was more of a celebration to coincide with the DVD reissue. The focus was really on the live material and rehearsals - it clearly wasn't intended to be a focus on studio outtakes. Not sure why anyone would complain about the incredible live show released on disc two. I'll take that over all the 'Next Step Is Love' outtakes on the new version any day of the week.

Marc Haegeman

Post by Marc Haegeman »

midnightx wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:Davy: The way I see it the TTWII 3 cd set of 8 years ago was more about promoting the then brand new SE movie than it was about promoting the original album tracks.

There is no reason for anyone to knock the 3 disc 'Special Edition.' As Jerry points out, the 'Special Edition' set was more of a celebration to coincide with the DVD reissue. The focus was really on the live material and rehearsals - it clearly wasn't intended to be a focus on studio outtakes. Not sure why anyone would complain about the incredible live show released on disc two. I'll take that over all the 'Next Step Is Love' outtakes on the new version any day of the week.
Anybody remember how delighted we were back in 2000 to have a complete show from August 1970 in great sound, plus several other unreleased live songs on disc 3 of this set?

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Marc Haegeman wrote: Anybody remember how delighted we were back in 2000 to have a complete show from August 1970 in great sound, plus several other unreleased live songs on disc 3 of this set?
Yes. That was a well-done package in terms of content and design. Would love to see something similar done with the EOT audio material.

Topic author
JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

I thought the music was great. Though the sound on some of the cuts on disc 3 wasn't the best. However, I thought the design as far as packaging, booklet, etc. stunk! It ranks right up there with "Artist of The Century" for bad packaging.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

JerryNodak wrote:I thought the music was great. Though the sound on some of the cuts on disc 3 wasn't the best. However, I thought the design as far as packaging, booklet, etc. stunk! It ranks right up there with "Artist of The Century" for bad packaging.
Nothing will ever top that one.

Marc Haegeman

Post by Marc Haegeman »

midnightx wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:I thought the music was great. Though the sound on some of the cuts on disc 3 wasn't the best. However, I thought the design as far as packaging, booklet, etc. stunk! It ranks right up there with "Artist of The Century" for bad packaging.

What a relief we don't have to listen to the packaging.

eric c

Post by eric c »

another favorite ftd.
just a brilliant album.
beautifully crafted.

ELVIS ROCKS