Drunk on Danny Boy recording?

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Rob

Post by Rob »

ColinB wrote:I don't recall reading or hearing of Elvis being drunk anytime!
The only time I've ever heard of such a thing is during the spraying down the porch scene in Wild In The Country. Legend has it that he had a few drinks to make the scene more realistic.

However, I wasn't on the set during that particular scene, so I cannot say for sure.

Pete Dube
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by Pete Dube »

ColinB wrote:Actually, I don't recall reading or hearing of Elvis being drunk anytime !

I think we can discount the accusation from Stella Stevens about Return To Sender !
Colin -
There is a story told in one of the books where around 73-74 Elvis says to the guys that he wanted to know what it was like to get drunk, they sit around drinking mixed drinks, and he gets drunk pretty quickly. I don't recall how the story ends, I think he ended up passing out. But this was apparently the only occasion that Elvis ever got drunk.

Marko
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Marko »

Pete Dube wrote:
ColinB wrote:Actually, I don't recall reading or hearing of Elvis being drunk anytime !

I think we can discount the accusation from Stella Stevens about Return To Sender !
Colin -
There is a story told in one of the books where around 73-74 Elvis says to the guys that he wanted to know what it was like to get drunk, they sit around drinking mixed drinks, and he gets drunk pretty quickly. I don't recall how the story ends, I think he ended up passing out. But this was apparently the only occasion that Elvis ever got drunk.
I recall reading from MM book that Elvis didn't even keep alcohol in his house in the early 60's. He started having alcohol in the house for guests because he was embarrased one time when someone asked for a drink and he didn't have any. I remember reading that Elvis hated drunken people because when he was a child his relatives would get pissed all the time. Several relatives from his mother's side were alcoholics.

Elvis did drink very rarely and he never learned to control his drinking. When he found a drink that tasted good, he would drink it like water which would end him drinking until he would pass out. Priscilla mentions in her book a couple of times that Elvis did get drunk. In All The Kings Men the MM tells a story about Elvis drinking in a night club and getting so drunk that he couldn't get up and go to the bathroom. He ended up pissing on the floor while sitting on his table. Lamar tells that during the filming of Follow That Dream Elvis had such a horrible time working with the kids that he would drink vodka and oj. Oj would make him blush.

Joe Esposito tells a story that during filming Change of Habit someone offered him some blackberry brandy to warm up. Elvis liked the taste of it and had someone to buy him a couple bottles to drink while they drove to Palm Springs. By the time they got there Elvis had passed out. In the middle of the night Joe woke. Elvis was at his door saying he was feeling sick and needed a doctor. Elvis then proceed to vomit all over Joe. As Joe says, the only reason why Elvis didn't become an alcholic was the fact that he couldn't control his drinking and thus would get sick.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

dl
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Post by dl »

I believe Joe's story. Elvis had an addictive personality. He knew he couldn't control his drinking so he didn't do it. Unfortunately he thought he could control his use of "medication". He believed that, because it worked for so long. I mean, just watch his NBC TV special from 1968. Elvis was abusing that stuff for nearly ten years by then, but he still could get in shape and deliver outstanding performances. I guess that's why he thought it would stay in his control. But slowly it slipped out of his hands and it became harder and harder to be in shape when needed. And suddenly the drugs controlled him. Sad but true. But up to the very end there surely where times when he could deliver. Those moments became rare, but when you listen to "Danny Boy" (from his second to last album) or "Trying To Get To You" (from his last live recording session), you can clearly hear that he still could do it!

elvispresleyfan1935
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by elvispresleyfan1935 »

Some of those stories all pretty funny :lol: , like Elvis vommiting all over Joe :shock: , and Elvis ending up pissing on the floor while sitting on his table. Wonder if these are all true.

Train I ride, sixteen coaches long

TJ
Registered for: 20 years 3 months

Post by TJ »

Marko wrote: Lamar tells that during the filming of Follow That Dream Elvis had such a horrible time working with the kids that he would drink vodka and oj. Oj would make him blush.
Ahh, another heartwarming story from lard ass. Gotta love that guy.

elvispresleyfan1935
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by elvispresleyfan1935 »

TJ wrote:
Marko wrote: Lamar tells that during the filming of Follow That Dream Elvis had such a horrible time working with the kids that he would drink vodka and oj. Oj would make him blush.
Ahh, another heartwarming story from lard ass. Gotta love that guy.
:lol: Lamar just disrupted the room again :lol:

Train I ride, sixteen coaches long

elvis_mania54545

Post by elvis_mania54545 »

We have no one we should be blaming, as it was none of us whos life was lost.i do get a kick out of the he should have did this crowd. as for joe i find him to be a guy who will do anything for a buck. oh yeah im not wearing blinders,i guess i just figure life is tough enough, so on this i rather look at some of the postative things,with that said now u can understand why for years rca kept so much in the vaults,cause even his "fans" try to break down every breath every word etc of what he did.

YDKM
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by YDKM »

Iv'e just heard ledgendary performer vol 8 version of Danny Boy pre- song dialogue and it just sounds like he's mumbling/swearing before a take... obviously it didn't stop him singing well...probably just as 'amazinly' as he sang well on How Great Thou Art,Hurt + It's Now or Never during the bad Omaha 19.6.77 show! Many times he couldn't talk properly but could sing!

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

elvis_mania54545

Post by elvis_mania54545 »

Yes he could still sing, wait :o thats what he got payed to do,again this is why rca for so long edited so much talk about nothing :D

spike
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by spike »

[
I saw this too. There was a Johnny Cash magazine published earlier this year (Uncut or Mojo?). It had photo of a CD-R with a text Danny Boy Elvis' version. Rubin had send it to Cash.[/quote]

I read it in the supermarket, so I couldn't tell you which issue it was, but I remember the picture of the CD-R. Here's a link to an interview with Cash on NPR, where you can hear it from the horse's mouth. It's a great interview by the way.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=832786

“You know who inspired me on that song….it’s Elvis Presley. Elvis has a great recording of Danny Boy, and I played it over and over and over……”[/quote]

Great interview. Man, if only Elvis could have gotten involved with producers like that and recorded some stripped down songs like JC did.Just one album like that would have negated all the negative stuff people say about his other material.
spike