"HITSTORY" released this Tuesday....Who's buying?

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

RKSNASHVILLE
Registered for: 21 years

Post by RKSNASHVILLE »

Question:

Wasn't the version of Way Down on E1 not the original master?

There is a part where Elvis begins to come in too soon
on the last verse on the E1 version which Felton Jarvis
edited on the Moody Blue album.

Which version is on the Hitstory CD?

RKS

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:Question:

Wasn't the version of Way Down on E1 not the original master?

There is a part where Elvis begins to come in too soon
on the last verse on the E1 version which Felton Jarvis
edited on the Moody Blue album.

Which version is on the Hitstory CD?

RKS
Well, none of the E1/E2 versions are actually original masters, they have all been tempered with in one way or the other, making use of heavy compression and equalization.

Rich_TCB

Post by Rich_TCB »

minkahed wrote: THE WONDER OF YOU...The undubbed, unrepaired version first released on 1999's upgrade ON STAGE :!: this sounds remixed to me. the drums sounds incredibly good, especially the bass drum...
That version on the '99 "On Stage" CD was way too slow.

Was the tempo corrected?

Rich

ImageImageImage

Topic author
minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by minkahed »

JLGB wrote:
minkahed wrote:another point being, this set states that the tape transfers were done by Andreas Meyer at SONY studios, New York City...

why would he not use the remixed versions Ferrante did on the 70's box, or the 2000 upgrade, instead of going back to the original Lp Masters... :?:

Maybe that's what was given to him :?:

Maybe he couldn't find them :?:

I also noticed he did the same thing with I Got A Feelin' In My Body on the Elvis By The Presleys cd...

I jus find this too be a distraction, corrected mistakes made on the 30 #1 Hits disc, remixed versions found on both cd 1 and 2 and not on disc 3 :?:

too much inconsistency... :roll:
The Best sounding version of ALWAYS ON MY MIND is on the Elvis by the Presleys.
No doubt, but that's because it's the same remixed version that was found on the 2003 SECOND TO NONE release... :!: :wink:

If you doubt my answer, check out the recent remaster that was found on the Love , Elvis disc and you will easily hear the difference...

at least, I hope you do :!:

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Topic author
minkahed

Post by minkahed »

thenexte wrote: What about the flanging in "Suspicious Minds" between 1:35 and 1:40? Have they completely replaced the remixed versions on E1/E2 with the DSD remasters? Now that would be something...
didn't you read my post :?: :?: :?:

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Topic author
minkahed

Post by minkahed »

buddy holly wrote: Whatever, every time you post I enjoy that sexy thing at the bottom of your post. Who is she?
don't tell, but she's my sister in law and I got more of where that came from... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Graceland Gardener

Post by Graceland Gardener »

I'M NOT
BUYING HITSTORY

:!:

gimme a break. I ALREADY OWN 30 #1s and 2nd To None.

and I've got every other Top 20 hit and top 40 hit and top 100 flop and all the 50s, 60s, 70s masters and most outtakes available.

---- this is ridiculous and insulting that Elvis fans are supposed to [must] buy the same *#%^! recordings over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

the label repackages us to death, all in the name of $$$

Elvis fans get no respect.
Just reissues.
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Renan -

You wrote:
Actually Elvis guitar is in the wrong direction on this pic
That puzzled me for a bit.

Then the penny dropped !

Stand in the corner and repeat 1,000 times:

I must keep it clean, and not be obscene.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Claus

Post by Claus »

I have received the European edition of Hitstory and guess what!

The first two discs have not been remastered!!!!!! They are straight reissues of the old discs.

I'm seriously p***ed now :x :x :x

I wanna throw the whole thing out of the window.

(I also received the new box set by The Band which I will listen to instead.

buddy holly
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by buddy holly »

Claus wrote:I have received the European edition of Hitstory and guess what!

The first two discs have not been remastered!!!!!! They are straight reissues of the old discs.
So the US version has the errors corrected but the European version has not. Well that makes sense :wink: . I've just ordered a copy today, the european one off course. This serves me right. :evil:

I might just as well buy Love Elvis too :cry: :cry: :cry:
Last edited by buddy holly on Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bring joy, avoid misery and be grateful

buddy holly
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by buddy holly »

This review I found on country weekly;

The King's chart-toppers were collected on the outstanding 30 #1 Hits in 2002, followed the next year by the dodgier 2nd to None, which showcased lesser chart entries. Now comes this box set, which includes both those CDs plus a third featuring 19 hits the first two missed.

The effect is an Elvis best-of that tells the same story three times, less effectively with each go-round. New fans should stick with the stand-alone 30 #1 Hits—or, if you simply must have a three-disc set, 1999's far superior Artist of the Century.

—Chris Neal

Bring joy, avoid misery and be grateful

elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by elvissessions »

Jesus, what a mess ...

For those of you who -- like me -- might have thought minkahed was pulling our legs ... nope, it won't be that easy.

I haven't had a chance to test every one of his examples, but I can tell you that a) this is not a duplicate of the Elv1s 30 #1 Hits disc and b) it appears different transfers WERE used for at least some of the tracks.

I've freshly processed the original 30 #1 Hits issue and compared it with disc 1 of Hitstory. They don't match. That much is immediately obvious.

So far, I've only done an A-B listening test on "A Big Hunk o' Love" -- 'cause that's a real easy one and I've got to run to work -- but I can tell you, he's right.

I'll work my way through the rest of his points tonight, but this collection may not be quite so easy to dismiss as we all assumed.

There's something going on here, though the liner notes certainly don't give a hint of what it is.

Everybody who has a copy, please post your comparisons ... who knows what's lurking here?

Peter66

Post by Peter66 »

Claus wrote:I have received the European edition of Hitstory and guess what!

I'm seriously p***ed now :x :x :x

I wanna throw the whole thing out of the window.

(I also received the new box set by The Band which I will listen to instead.
Do you want to say, after having 2 versions of E1 and the DVD and two versions of 2nd, I will have to buy the American AND the European version if I want the optimum sound (corrected American on E1 and 2nd) and a complete nr 3 (30 songs instead of a lousy couple of songs) ?????

Oh my God, if this should be true I have to consider asking some friend who has friends who has friends who know someone who has bought both versions...... I never did this with regular CDs (asking I mean) and I truley was willing to give my money away, but in this case........ for me there would be only one answer to that.

Peter

elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by elvissessions »

Although the big questions probably will be about the first two discs, I'm happy to report that the third disc's single master of I'm Yours corrects the tape glitch that was in the version just released on the FTD Tickle Me disc.

It's good to finally have a good clean copy of that single master done the right way.

splanky

Post by splanky »

For those of you who make comparisons between HITSTORY and the previous issues ofthe hits,please state clearly if you have the US or the EU versions.I hope somebody will also make comparisons between different versions of HITSTORY.

Already there are signs that there are more hidden things than we anticipated.

Best always,
Splanky

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

So we in Europe are getting more tracks on the 3rd disc, but no remastering !

And no errors corrected ?

Does anyone at BMG know what they're doing ?

Come on, Roger !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Kingtiger0321

Post by Kingtiger0321 »

ColinB wrote:
Does anyone at BMG know what they're doing ?

Come on, Roger !
Did you really have to ask? :oops:

Random qoutes:

"I'll be dog gone Nick! Your house done blowed up, s'on fire too!" - Elvis

"You fed them DOG FOOD! How Dare!!!!" - "Paradise, Hawaiian style"

PiersEIN

Post by PiersEIN »

obtained Hitstory yesterday. I echo Minkahed's comments. It's great to have the best version yet of "Hound Dog" with no "pop".
So if it is the 'best version yet, what is the difference EXACTLY between this Hound Dog and the one on Elvis '56 2002 DSD CD version?
Have they really improved it yet again?
'Heartbreak Hotel' best version yet too?
I'm a little suspicious.

Hasn't come out yet in Australia - but I'm interested in the CD3 audio improvements.

Cheers
Piers

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

PiersEIN wrote:
obtained Hitstory yesterday. I echo Minkahed's comments. It's great to have the best version yet of "Hound Dog" with no "pop".
So if it is the 'best version yet, what is the difference EXACTLY between this Hound Dog and the one on Elvis '56 2002 DSD CD version?

Cheers
Piers
This Rhino CD (originally issued in 1989) has arguably
the best "sound quality" version of Hound Dog (IMO)
released to date... and it's still available.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by midnightx »

Yet another compilation. Colonel Parker lives on. It is nice to see BMG keeping his legacy alive year after year with their releases. :roll:

Topic author
minkahed

Post by minkahed »

elvis-fan wrote:
PiersEIN wrote:

Cheers
Piers
This Rhino CD (originally issued in 1989) has arguably
the best "sound quality" version of Hound Dog (IMO)
released to date... and it's still available.

I gotta admit, that remaster of Hound Dog found on the Rhino cd sounds great.

I also liked the version that was remastered by Steve Hoffman in 1997 for the 24 Karat Hits Gold disc.

The version found on the new Hitstory set sounds like the 2002 DSD remaster, but, again, no pop, and still sounds a bit clearer and crisp than the original DSD transfer from '02.

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

YES! I'm def gonna get it now! I will move heaven and earth to have it! Just so I can hear Hound Dog without that pop in it before I die!! 8)

JEFF d
Elvis fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Topic author
minkahed

Post by minkahed »

I'm curious to know...

when FTD starts putting out the rest of the album catalog from the 70's, if they will go back and use the original Lp Masters, or the remixed versions Ferrante did from '95-2000 :?:

Still, we get some pretty good sounding remixed versions of Promised Land and Moody Blue on Second To None, a punched up version of Burning Love on E1, but no such thing done on the Story Continues disc of this set :?:

just baffling...

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

minkahed wrote:I'm curious to know...

when FTD starts putting out the rest of the album catalog from the 70's, if they will go back and use the original Lp Masters, or the remixed versions Ferrante did from '95-2000 :?:

Still, we get some pretty good sounding remixed versions of Promised Land and Moody Blue on Second To None, a punched up version of Burning Love on E1, but no such thing done on the Story Continues disc of this set :?:

just baffling...
I am glad the revisionist remixing has finally come to an end and with the advent of DSD we are getting what we were supposed to get in the first place: the original masters!

Claus

Post by Claus »

thenexte wrote: I am glad the revisionist remixing has finally come to an end and with the advent of DSD we are getting what we were supposed to get in the first place: the original masters!
I second that!!!!!