1971 onwards. the tendency to blame elvis

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Joe Car
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: All Elvis

Post by Joe Car »

Lonely Summer wrote:RCA should have got off his back about recording. Sometimes a rest from studio work will pay off in the long run. Assuming Elvis had lived a few more years, something might have come along that energized him - the right song, a change in the music climate, maybe a gospel project with the Stamps. When Elvis died, it's like RCA and Colonel didn't even blink, just kept on cranking out the comps - He Walks Beside Me, Mahalo from Elvis, Elvis Sings for Children, A Canadian Tribute, A Legendary Performer Volume 3 - those all in just the first year! the only thing missing was tours.
Very good post Lonely Summer! There was a picture of a happy and relaxed Colonel posted just last week, I believe taken a few weeks after Elvis died. God knows how much money he and his cronies at RCA made the weeks following August 16/77. I just bumped it up, it's under the "Vern, are you home thread" posted by FunkyAngel.

Scott Haigh 781990EP
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Scott Haigh 781990EP »

RCA did offer to build Elvis a recording studio i think in the 60s when ever he might get soem inspiration, but i think the colonel stopped him for some reason

i watched bits of Aloha and the rehearsal today, ok, so he was'nt on par with his TTWII kind of shows, but did the man look good or what?!

when i watched the complete Aloha show, i saw flashes of meaness in him, the flash of the TTWII Elvis. in burning love he punches the air after the song, which i'd never seen before, then in 'mountain', he has this mean awesome look while doing his arm movements. these little bits i'd never saw before improved my view of aloha that he was'nt so sluggish and tamed as i'd seen him in the original

and about the public thinking he was fat in this. when i started out as an Elvis fan 3 years ago, i watched him in this and i thought he looked brilliant, but in those close up poses where his eyes seem glazed, i thought there was something strangely wrong. something told me there was more he had to offer, and this was before i really became a fan, but i still realized it. but the thing i did'nt take in to perspective at the time was he was doing a global broadcast, and i thought in those slow moments, 'what is wrong with him?', which was a bit mean i guess, but i'd never seen any other 70s performances at the time other than Aloha

Scatter
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by Scatter »

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:RCA did offer to build Elvis a recording studio i think in the 60s when ever he might get soem inspiration, but i think the colonel stopped him for some reason
It was because the Colonel feared that the in-home studio would leave them without leverage with RCA.

The Colonel would use RCA's desire for new material as a club to bludgeon them for perks.

Scott Haigh 781990EP
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Scott Haigh 781990EP »

leverage? bludgeon them for perks?

please translate 8)

JamieAKelley
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by JamieAKelley »

Just means that RCA would need new recording material for Elvis, and the Colonel would say "well, we need this and this to make it easier for Elvis to fulfill his obligations".

If Elvis had a studio in Graceland, RCA could then:

1. More easily request/demand new material

2. Have a reason to have more direct contact with (and thus possibly influence on) Elvis.

And the Colonel wasn't about to have either of those.

Sincerely,
Jamie

(singer/songwriter/performer/self-proclaimed "Elvis geek"/all-around geek)
(geek - yeah, you heard me.)

http://www.jamiekelleymusic.com

New CD - ALL ORIGINAL SONGS! Adult Contemporary/Light Rock/Pop/More
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jamiekelley

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Re: 1971 onwards. the tendency to blame elvis

Post by jurasic1968 »

In which countries Aloha was showed live? I think only in South East Asia and Western Europe. USA never saw it until April 1973, 3 month later. So maybe the stress wasn't so much to perform live for Japan, Malayezia, Taiwan, Philipines, France, Belgium, Holland and so on. The only Europe country with native English was Great Brittain .