Drunk on Danny Boy recording?

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
philobeddo
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Drunk on Danny Boy recording?

Post by philobeddo »

On the new Legendary Performer volume 8 the cd ends with take 9 of Danny Boy. On this track we can hear the pre banter of Elvis before launching into take 9. He speaks something like: i know you don't, cause you know, you record all them, **** i don't eigther, oké , i want Danny Boy god d**. Well, the way he speaks he sound drunk or stoned to me. Or was he just pissed about something?

"Right turn Clyde"

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by elvisjock »

His speech is consistent with other samples from these sessions. It's amazing how he could "snap to" and sing a difficult song like Danny Boy under an obviously heavy load of "medication."

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

minkahed
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by minkahed »

I can't buleeve someone brought this up!

Last week, I played the new ELVIS country cd and a couple of my friends were over and got to hear sum of the trax.

Well, on came Danny Boy and 1 of my amigos turned around and said that Elvis sounded "wasted" :!: :?:

He said he'll take "50's Elvis" over that crap anyday... :lol:

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

elvispresleyfan1935
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by elvispresleyfan1935 »

Elvis didn't sound drunk or "stoned" on this song, not that I can tell.
I love this song. He recorded it for his father didn't he because it was his father's favorite song.

Train I ride, sixteen coaches long

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Re: Drunk on Danny Boy recording?

Post by drjohncarpenter »

philobeddo wrote:... he sound drunk or stoned to me. Or was he just pissed about something?
Elvis was not a happy person in February 1976, and it's likely he was at least exhausted while doing these sessions. Or perhaps more than that.

DJC

Topic author
philobeddo

Post by philobeddo »

elvispresleyfan1935 wrote:
Elvis didn't sound drunk or "stoned" on this song, not that I can tell.
Now you're talking, during the song he sounds GREAT. i mean not a single minor on the vocal. But when he spoke he sound weird. It's like when he's singing he is in full controle, but when he's speaking it's like his mind is somewhere between Tupelo and Memphis. He did the same in the last tour especially Rapid City and Omaha, All the vocals on the songs are thrilling great but when he tries to say something it sounds weird like he is trying to say something nice or funny but he sounds like he's not getting it. Likes his mind is not at it. Why couldn't he speak in a normal way and at the same time sing like an angel?

"Right turn Clyde"

elvispresleyfan1935

elvisjock wrote:It's amazing how he could "snap to" and sing a difficult song like Danny Boy under an obviously heavy load of "medication."
Just goes to show how talented our man was.

bajo

Post by bajo »

Maybe he was so painfully bored with the whole thing. But, singing was the only way to "get away with it"!
I hope one day they will remix the entire output from those sessions and release the Boulevard/ Moody Blue album in upgraded sound.
The Jungle Room Sessions CD shows how good those sessions may sound if treated right. Ligthen the Jarvis syrup a little and we may have a brand new album on our hands.

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

elvispresleyfan1935

bajo wrote:Ligthen the Jarvis syrup a little and we may have a brand new album on our hands.
One can only hope so

Gillybee

Post by Gillybee »

minkahed wrote:I can't buleeve someone brought this up!

Last week, I played the new ELVIS country cd and a couple of my friends were over and got to hear sum of the trax.

Well, on came Danny Boy and 1 of my amigos turned around and said that Elvis sounded "wasted" :!: :?:

He said he'll take "50's Elvis" over that crap anyday... :lol:
Interestingly, Rick Rubin played Elvis' version of "Danny Boy" to Johnny Cash, before Johnny recorded it for his last album.

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

drunk on

Post by Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff »

... "Medication"...?
... Booz...?
... I dont think so.
... They are called drugs, over here.
... Those substances that makes the user high as a kite...
... That said, Elvis must have had a very strong mind, still being able to sing, as good as he did, during the JR sessions...
He, and just about everybody else, in the studio,during the 70s used drugs. only in much smaller quantities, than in the later years, 74- 76. An insider, who listened back to one of the Stax sessions, years later, couldnt believe how worn out they all were, when listening to the conversations that took place, in between songs...

... But surely, you dont have to agree drugs ever happened, in Elvis his life, and it was the "medication", prescribed by his doctors [ like the one, that was nicknamed: Doc Feelgood, from Vegas...] that took him down at age 42...

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Gillybee wrote:Interestingly, Rick Rubin played Elvis' version of "Danny Boy" to Johnny Cash, before Johnny recorded it for his last album.
Where did you learn this? It's news to me.

DJC

Marko
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Marko »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Gillybee wrote:Interestingly, Rick Rubin played Elvis' version of "Danny Boy" to Johnny Cash, before Johnny recorded it for his last album.

DJC
I saw this too. There was a Johnny Cash magazine published earlier this year (Uncut or Mojo?). It had photo of a CD-R with a text Danny Boy Elvis' version. Rubin had send it to Cash.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

I was listening to the JRS alternate of Danny Boy over the weekend. For me, there's a wonderful few seconds that I play repeatedly - the very soft and controlled blending of voices on the final "I love you so."

The JRS take is a much stronger performance than the version on Platinum. Too bad more music buyers have heard that one. He's flat on "when summer's in the meadow." It's also a little sparse for my taste, with the absence of backing vocals. I wonder if they were mixed out for the Platinum release?

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Elvis' voice displays a noticeable decline in timbre during these February '76 sessions. It's been variously described as 'creaky', 'leaden', 'ragged'. What these words are meant to convey is that his voice has a draggy, inflexible quality to it. It lacks the fluidity it had at the Dec. '73 and March '75 sessions. Elvis sounds older than 41 years. Granted he does come across better on the Jungle Room Sessions FTD, but he's still off his game vocally. Still, there are decent efforts. Hurt is strong, he gives it everything he's got. Moody Blue is a good performance, although he occasionally sounds as if he's having a little difficulty keeping on pitch. The shopworn vocals actually add a sense of world weariness to Danny Boy, enhancing the emotional impact of the performance. He gives a committed reading to For The Heart. She Thinks I Still Care is a masterful performance, a great latter-day example of the emotionalism Elvis brought to popular music singing. Lastly, on Solitaire Felton thankfully kept the backing vocals to a minimum, allowing Elvis' nakedly emotional performance to come through. As with Danny Boy the shopworn nature of his voice enhances the overall atmoshpere of this performance.

I think his voice sounded better in Oct. '76. Too bad those sessions only produced 4 masters.

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

Pete Dube wrote:Elvis' voice displays a noticeable decline in timbre during these February '76 sessions. It's been variously described as 'creaky', 'leaden', 'ragged'. What these words are meant to convey is that his voice has a draggy, inflexible quality to it. It lacks the fluidity it had at the Dec. '73 and March '75 sessions. Elvis sounds older than 41 years. Granted he does come across better on the Jungle Room Sessions FTD, but he's still off his game vocally. Still, there are decent efforts. Hurt is strong, he gives it everything he's got. Moody Blue is a good performance, although he occasionally sounds as if he's having a little difficulty keeping on pitch. The shopworn vocals actually add a sense of world weariness to Danny Boy, enhancing the emotional impact of the performance. He gives a committed reading to For The Heart. She Thinks I Still Care is a masterful performance, a great latter-day example of the emotionalism Elvis brought to popular music singing. Lastly, on Solitaire Felton thankfully kept the backing vocals to a minimum, allowing Elvis' nakedly emotional performance to come through. As with Danny Boy the shopworn nature of his voice enhances the overall atmoshpere of this performance.

I think his voice sounded better in Oct. '76. Too bad those sessions only produced 4 masters.
He seems to have been suffering from a head cold at the October sessions. It's very noticeable on He'll Have To Go. Perhaps his decision to cut the sessions sort was for just the reason he gave - he didn't feel well.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Pete Dube wrote:Elvis' voice displays a noticeable decline in timbre during these February '76 sessions. It's been variously described as 'creaky', 'leaden', 'ragged'. What these words are meant to convey is that his voice has a draggy, inflexible quality to it. It lacks the fluidity it had at the Dec. '73 and March '75 sessions. Elvis sounds older than 41 years. Granted he does come across better on the Jungle Room Sessions FTD, but he's still off his game vocally. Still, there are decent efforts. Hurt is strong, he gives it everything he's got. Moody Blue is a good performance, although he occasionally sounds as if he's having a little difficulty keeping on pitch. The shopworn vocals actually add a sense of world weariness to Danny Boy, enhancing the emotional impact of the performance. He gives a committed reading to For The Heart. She Thinks I Still Care is a masterful performance, a great latter-day example of the emotionalism Elvis brought to popular music singing. Lastly, on Solitaire Felton thankfully kept the backing vocals to a minimum, allowing Elvis' nakedly emotional performance to come through. As with Danny Boy the shopworn nature of his voice enhances the overall atmoshpere of this performance.

Our guy had been singing his ass off for so long, it's too bad that he never had the luxury of a full year off when he became older and was unhealthy. He deserved that much.

Steve Morse
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by Steve Morse »

Elvisjock - re. your comment - "He's flat on 'when summer's in the meadow' ".

If you're referring to the Platinum version (take 9), I think that's the one where he sings "valley" instead of meadow. It's a very naked performance, without the backing vocals, and I like it.

The master take 10, however, is just superb.

Steve Morse

"Won't you sing me away to a summer night - let me hold her in my arms again"

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

Steve Morse wrote:Elvisjock - re. your comment - "He's flat on 'when summer's in the meadow' ".

If you're referring to the Platinum version (take 9), I think that's the one where he sings "valley" instead of meadow. It's a very naked performance, without the backing vocals, and I like it.

The master take 10, however, is just superb.

Steve Morse
Correct, it's "valley," not "meadow."

But "summer's" still a stinker!

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

elvisjock wrote:I was listening to the JRS alternate of Danny Boy over the weekend. For me, there's a wonderful few seconds that I play repeatedly - the very soft and controlled blending of voices on the final "I love you so."

The JRS take is a much stronger performance than the version on Platinum. Too bad more music buyers have heard that one. He's flat on "when summer's in the meadow." It's also a little sparse for my taste, with the absence of backing vocals. I wonder if they were mixed out for the Platinum release?
Mixed out? They were overdubbed later and thus do not exist on alternate takes. I have to agree, the raw Jungle Room outtakes are a very bland affair to begin with.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

thenexte wrote:
Mixed out?
Have you not heard the JRS CD? There were background singers recorded before overdubs.

JamieAKelley
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by JamieAKelley »

It couldn't have been overdubbed, since take 8 has voices in it (maybe they just laid out on the last takes because Elvis thought they could do better that way - is that what you mean)? Also, it might be my imagination, but I can barely hear (at the end after Elvis sings the last "to me") a very faint "O Danny..." which seems to quickly trail off (maybe one of the Stamps singing it softly to himself as a mental rehearsal?). Also interesting is that Elvis' vocal channel is faded out before the end of the song (noticable on both Platinum and Leg Perf 8 CDs), so I guess that's how it is on the tape.

I think I hear a slight hint of a chuckle after "I want Danny Boy, __ __ it", so I think he's either being funny or only half-serious. Also, you can barely hear the engineer in the Leg 8 version when he says "we're rolling", would be interesting to know 1: who he's talking to (though likely Felton) and 2: the other half of the conversation.

Sincerely,
Jamie

(singer/songwriter/performer/self-proclaimed "Elvis geek"/all-around geek)
(geek - yeah, you heard me.)

http://www.jamiekelleymusic.com

New CD - ALL ORIGINAL SONGS! Adult Contemporary/Light Rock/Pop/More
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jamiekelley

Gillybee

Post by Gillybee »

Marko wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

DJC
I saw this too. There was a Johnny Cash magazine published earlier this year (Uncut or Mojo?). It had photo of a CD-R with a text Danny Boy Elvis' version. Rubin had send it to Cash.
I read it in the supermarket, so I couldn't tell you which issue it was, but I remember the picture of the CD-R. Here's a link to an interview with Cash on NPR, where you can hear it from the horse's mouth. It's a great interview by the way.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=832786

“You know who inspired me on that song….it’s Elvis Presley. Elvis has a great recording of Danny Boy, and I played it over and over and over……”

ritchie valens
Banned for Political Trolling
Banned for Political Trolling
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

Post by ritchie valens »

danny boy live 1976 or the germany home recording i like over the graceland recording.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

JamieAKelley wrote:It couldn't have been overdubbed, since take 8 has voices in it (maybe they just laid out on the last takes because Elvis thought they could do better that way - is that what you mean)? Also, it might be my imagination, but I can barely hear (at the end after Elvis sings the last "to me") a very faint "O Danny..." which seems to quickly trail off (maybe one of the Stamps singing it softly to himself as a mental rehearsal?). Also interesting is that Elvis' vocal channel is faded out before the end of the song (noticable on both Platinum and Leg Perf 8 CDs), so I guess that's how it is on the tape.

I think I hear a slight hint of a chuckle after "I want Danny Boy, __ __ it", so I think he's either being funny or only half-serious. Also, you can barely hear the engineer in the Leg 8 version when he says "we're rolling", would be interesting to know 1: who he's talking to (though likely Felton) and 2: the other half of the conversation.
Yes, the overdubs would only be done to master. I was trying to point out to thenexte that voices apart from Elvis were recorded at the session and could be mixed out unless unavoidable by leakage.