A Short Interview with Monique Brave

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Thomas
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Post by Thomas »

dannyboy1 wrote: You don't know what difficulties she may be facing. From what little I know, I think we need to show compassion in this case.
Yes. You are right.

dreambear
Registered for: 19 years

Post by dreambear »

Perhaps she will donating the money to the Sioux nation or to some aid organisation. We shouldn´t judge her.

//Björn

paulsweeney
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by paulsweeney »

Well done in getting the interview 8)

Gregory Nolan Jr.
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Thanks to DJC to for alerting me to this thread, via that interminable "EIC" thread elsewhere...!

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
Here is some of that imagery of Elvis being presented with an award by Monique ...
Doctor John Carpenter replied:
It was not an award, little Monique Brave gave Elvis a MOST ironic gift backstage in Rapid City -- a sacred, Sioux Nation "Medallion of Life."

Good call and interesting post. I called it an award in a most general sense as I couldn't recall, but I had heard was a "medallion of life" and, boy, are your comments seem ever too fitting....! Perhaps Cyrogenic is correct, but your first take seems to put your finger on what's wrong about this all-too-often sad but somehow compelling final TV special.

ImageImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Robert »

ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Who is the interviewer? Tom Hulett?

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Robert wrote:Who is the interviewer? Tom Hulett?
IIRC, that is Hulett, but there was no interview -- he just did simple introductions of the Rapid City mayor and little Miss Brave.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Lew Nyack

Post by Lew Nyack »

Interesting follow up to this topic, via a recent Rapid City Journal article:

"Inside, Elvis met then-Mayor Art LaCroix as well as Sharon Brave and her 10-year-old daughter, Monique.

The brief encounter with "The King" left a lasting impression on Sharon.

"I can still remember everything; we were in and out in a few minutes," the longtime Elvis fan said. "We had the best seat in the house for a couple of minutes."

Monique wore a full buckskin American Indian dress and presented Elvis with an eight-point beaded medallion. He gave her a scarf that she still has.

"He's part Native American. He looked at her and had the most peaceful look on his face. It was the most fabulous thing I've ever seen," Sharon said about their encounter with Elvis. "He had a lot of charisma. He was just so real."
The mother and daughter are also featured on the CBS live taping of the Rapid City concert."

I guess he came across well, considering the drug f*cked persona many would like to propagate.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Lew Nyack wrote:I guess he came across well, considering the drug f*cked persona many would like to propagate.
Elvis always coped very well in these situations, straight or not, and perhaps even more so with the bright lights of the CBS-TV cameras in his dressing room. Anyone viewing this -- still officially unreleased -- footage can discern this wonderful, warm talent.

And no doubt, Elvis' charisma was undeniable until his final show five days later. Sometimes it was the only thing that kept the later shows from being a total disaster.

What is unfortunate is the cold, hard view of the camera lens does not lie or "propagate" -- the footage captured in June 1977 shows a very ill man, not the bright-eyed king of the hill from 1969-70.

Even in the dressing room with Monique he looks awful, and his voice is weak. It's not a surprise the sequence was left out of the October 1977 broadcast, besides which the irony of his receiving a "Medallion of Life" just weeks before his death is almost too much for any caring fan to bear, then or now.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by elvisjock »

I vaguely recall seeing one of the posed photos of Elvis and Monique. If it's out there, can someone please post?

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

kajsa89
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Re:

Post by kajsa89 »

dannyboy1 wrote:Jeff d - not having seen the scarf myself, I don't really know whether it's a pre-printed one or an original signature.

Thomas - I think you need to lighten up. Don't judge her so harshly. You don't know what difficulties she may be facing. From what little I know, I think we need to show compassion in this case.
I have seen the footage of the meeting (like many of you, I am sure), and I can not see/ recall Elvis WRITING anything during the short meeting. But I could of course be wrong. Btw, I almost feel pity for the mayor, who certainly did not get much attention from Elvis - not even a handshake. He held out his hand....in vain (right?).

The fact that she tries to sell the scarf for sure does not mean she wants to! I try to sell some stuff to make life a bit easier these days. Do I want to part with my "babies"? H...., no. On the other hand, if she is not a fan, there's a good chance she can need premium bucks instead of the scarf. IF she got the scarf Elvis wore as he walked on stage,that was in much better quality (right?) than the ones he handed out by the dozens?! This will remain speculation, and we certainly should not expect her to provide the reason for selling it.

THANKS VERY MUCH for doing the Q&A and for sharing!! I just saw an fb post about this from a friend active in Native American issues.

Let's get a deluxe Blu-Ray with "Elvis On Tour", too! A release that has unrelased footage, not merely the original movie minus Johnny B!!

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Mood:

Re: A Short Interview with Monique Brave

Post by JimmyCool »

This is her in 2013:

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by elvisjock »

Isn't she pretty?

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by rjm »

Yes!

rjm

Sent via mobile

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

Jim Dandy
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Jim Dandy »

What a cracker, elvisjock lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

Elvisfan88
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by Elvisfan88 »

I can't see the pics

Domino
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Domino »

8) "Well sir,to be honest with you,we just stumbled upon it." - 1954
ImageImage

karlos
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by karlos »

Really interesting interview with Monique
- tyvm for this : the video footage is really great to see.
Long Live The King Forever