What if Elvis put out a secular album in 1971?

Here you can post your review!!
Or direct your thoughts towards facts & details of Elvis' Records/Films/Magazines & Trivia

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
familyjules
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by familyjules »

Coincidence! I was writing out a possible tracklisting for a secular '71 CD just the other day. Whilst I do think you could make a strong single CD out of Elvis's '71 sessions, it's always going to pale next to his towering achievements from 1970.

I just compiled a double CD for the car of all of his studio masters from 1970 and it's just staggering! BMG should have put this together years ago.

Getting back on topic - I would include A Thing Called Love on my secular '71 CD. It's always baffled me how this song could ever have been considered a 'sacred' number.

Jules

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

01. Help Me Make It Through The Night (alternate take 3)
02. Early Morning Rain
03. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
04. It’s Only Love
05. I’m Leaving
06. Until It’s Time For You To Go
07. We Can Make The Morning
08. (That’s What You Get) For Loving Me
09. Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right (jam edit)
10. It’s Still Here (unedited version)
11. I’ll Take You Home Again Kathleen (undubbed version)
12. My Way

:D

moodyblue1
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Post by moodyblue1 »

Time for Ernst to release a comprehensive '71 collection with alt. takes and such.

BigredG
Registered for: 19 years 7 months
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

Sorry, I thought I was in the Review section :oops:

BigredG
Registered for: 19 years 7 months
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

Hey hang on, I am in the review section - what are you guys up to???

:lol:

Inigo Montoya

Re:

Post by Inigo Montoya »

Matthew wrote:01. Help Me Make It Through The Night (alternate take 3)
02. Early Morning Rain
03. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
04. It’s Only Love
05. I’m Leaving
06. Until It’s Time For You To Go
07. We Can Make The Morning
08. (That’s What You Get) For Loving Me
09. Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right (jam edit)
10. It’s Still Here (unedited version)
11. I’ll Take You Home Again Kathleen (undubbed version)
12. My Way

:D
Nice record!

I'd probably ditch "My Way," for now, and maybe -- at the risk of having too much of the Elvis-and-piano theme -- insert the lovely "I WIll Be True."

Really, though, if I was Elvis' producer or even a band member or studio go'fer on these sessions I'd have done all I possibly could, upon hearing Elvis' between-takes jams, to convince Elvis that it was his destiny to record full versions of "Lady Madonna" and "I Shall Be Released."

kajsa89
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Re:

Post by kajsa89 »

familyjules wrote: I would include A Thing Called Love on my secular '71 CD. It's always baffled me how this song could ever have been considered a 'sacred' number.

Jules
I'm baffled that you are baffled... Listen one more time and listen carefully for metaphors. To me, it is clearly about the alleged love of God/Jesus and it fit perfectly on He Touched Me. Plus, watch the performance of The Imperials on a DVD in the Complete Works/Shows sets. Interesting how one can perceive things differently.

Anyway, he did release "Love Letters from Elvis" in 1971, and to me that album is IN GENERAL a secular album. Even if "Only Believe" - and arguably also "Life" - is a sacred/religious song.

Let's get a deluxe Blu-Ray with "Elvis On Tour", too! A release that has unrelased footage, not merely the original movie minus Johnny B!!