The Toledoan Balladeer - Elvis In Concert - April 23 1977

Here you can post your review!!
Or direct your thoughts towards facts & details of Elvis' Records/Films/Magazines & Trivia

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

The Toledoan Balladeer - Elvis In Concert - April 23 1977

Post by Johnny2523 »

Written while listening (Added soundboard songs to get a better listening view). Inspired by the topic that was started by Poormadpeter in the All Elvis Section

- See See rider: Great version reminds me of the rapid city version, Elvis delivers the goods and gives a great version!

- I Got A Woman/Amen - Great version, ofcoarse nothing like previous years, but elvis seems happy, and in a great mood, and sings great on this version, Again this reminds me much of the rapid city version. Altough this one sounds slightly better. Only one divebomb this time this version only runs for about 4 minutes and 50 seconds.
Elvis even introduces him as wayne newton much like rapid city. ''We got lost in the rain, while we where over, but just enjoy urself, we gonna do alot of songs old ones new ones''.

Love Me - The crowd goes nuts, and elvis delivers a good vocal. Singing most of the lyrics, Near the end elvis jokes a little bit, but not much. It's an okay version, and not as long as he would do it sometimes, this version ends after 2:15!.

If You Love Me Let Me Know - Always loved this song, At this moment it was still a new song as it wouldnt be out until July. Great pace not rushed, and elvis vocal is great. Great version. an highlight for sure.

You Gave Me A Mountain - It has a false start, Elvis laughs a bit before he starts it again, then he gives a great and strong version, a song that could be done no wrong. Another Highlight for sure!.

Jailhouse Rock - Extended intro, An okay version, nothing what it used to be, But i enjoy it. There are however better versions. nothing more then a okay version.

It's Now Or Never - The first soundboard song from this night. It was released on the Fortbaxter CD called: Goodbye Memhis. Sherrill does his ''Thing''. elvis makes his ''Smart Alleck'' remark. elvis jokes a bit during the beginning. There are better versions from this year, It seems to have less power during this show. He gets more into it as the song progresses. An okay version.

Little Sister - Good version, Elvis vocal is good and the band nicely jams along. One of the highlights of this show (Atleast for me)

Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel - Trowaway, Nothing special.

And I Love You So - Elvis done better versions, He's serious all the way, But it's not much different then the Omaha version thou, Yet i enjoy it. not an highlight, but still quite a beautiful live version thou.

Fever - Quite a rarity, elvis only done a handfull of versions during '77. It's an enjoyable version, Elvis laughs a few times during the song, but it's not annoying. Elvis is having fun, and the ladies are goin nuts! (Because of the gyrations ofcoarse). ''Fever, till youre silly'' is actually quite funny.

Polk Salad Annie - Great pace, not to fast not to slow. Elvis actually gives a bit of a growl during ''Where the alligators grow so mean-ah''. Instead of singing ''Her daddy was a lazy at no count'' he sings ''Her momma was a lady at no count!''. And laughs a few times, But it's cute!. Instead of Chain Gang, he sings Chain Gun! lol. The band is cooking aswell!. Great, a highlight for me. Jerry's bass is getting more upfront which is awesome to hear!.

My Way - Elvis doesn't mention that he's using lyric sheets!. So most likely he isn't. He delivers a beautiful version. Straight and serious, with a great vocal to add. Altough the ending could have been slightly better.

Time to get back to the audience recording, as the band introductions are incomplete on the soundboard (including the near to complete early morning rain :( )

The band introductions are what they are. So let's not talk about those, as we know how those are.

Early Morning Rain - Always loved this song, and this is a great performance, im glad elvis sung it near-complete this time. great version
The band solo's are as usual good. noticeable thou, elvis starts of Johnny Be Goode quite strong but then goes back to his soft voice.
Back to the Soundboard section of this show. Another highlight!.

School Day - Elvis sings most of the lyrics, Always enjoyed this short but cute performance. He ends it strong.

Hurt - It's time for hurt!. very strong version, killer ending! Beautiful. Highlight!

Hound Dog - Does it even need a mention?. You ain't you ain't elvis repeats for 8 times. Then does a trowaway version, Nothing interesting. Understandable as after more then 1200 live versions.. who wouldn't have gotten tired of singing this day in day out. I like the Rapid City version, mainly for elvis his moves during the break. Elvis growl a bit during the break in this concert.

Can't Help Falling In Love/Closing Vamp - ''we were a little slow getting here, i hope that you enjoyed the show, we gonna be around here for the next couple of days, if you got a chance come and see us, but until we meet you again, god bless you''. An okay version, nothing interesting but okay i guess. The ending is strong.

So conclusion:
A enjoyable concert, quite strong for 1977. Elvis seemed to be happy, and enjoying himself. The show is about 1 hour and 7 minutes.
If you get a chance get the CD. It's quite an enjoyable show, where the Good outweight the bad.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

poormadpeter

Re: The Toledoan Balladeer - Elvis In Concert - April 23 197

Post by poormadpeter »

Johnny2523 wrote:Written while listening (Added soundboard songs to get a better listening view). Inspired by the topic that was started by Poormadpeter in the All Elvis Section

- See See rider: Great version reminds me of the rapid city version, Elvis delivers the goods and gives a great version!

- I Got A Woman/Amen - Great version, ofcoarse nothing like previous years, but elvis seems happy, and in a great mood, and sings great on this version, Again this reminds me much of the rapid city version. Altough this one sounds slightly better. Only one divebomb this time this version only runs for about 4 minutes and 50 seconds.
Elvis even introduces him as wayne newton much like rapid city. ''We got lost in the rain, while we where over, but just enjoy urself, we gonna do alot of songs old ones new ones''.

Love Me - The crowd goes nuts, and elvis delivers a good vocal. Singing most of the lyrics, Near the end elvis jokes a little bit, but not much. It's an okay version, and not as long as he would do it sometimes, this version ends after 2:15!.

If You Love Me Let Me Know - Always loved this song, At this moment it was still a new song as it wouldnt be out until July. Great pace not rushed, and elvis vocal is great. Great version. an highlight for sure.

You Gave Me A Mountain - It has a false start, Elvis laughs a bit before he starts it again, then he gives a great and strong version, a song that could be done no wrong. Another Highlight for sure!.

Jailhouse Rock - Extended intro, An okay version, nothing what it used to be, But i enjoy it. There are however better versions. nothing more then a okay version.

It's Now Or Never - The first soundboard song from this night. It was released on the Fortbaxter CD called: Goodbye Memhis. Sherrill does his ''Thing''. elvis makes his ''Smart Alleck'' remark. elvis jokes a bit during the beginning. There are better versions from this year, It seems to have less power during this show. He gets more into it as the song progresses. An okay version.

Little Sister - Good version, Elvis vocal is good and the band nicely jams along. One of the highlights of this show (Atleast for me)

And I Love You So - Elvis done better versions, He's serious all the way, But it's not much different then the Omaha version thou, Yet i enjoy it. not an highlight, but still quite a beautiful live version thou.

Fever - Quite a rarity, elvis only done a handfull of versions during '77. It's an enjoyable version, Elvis laughs a few times during the song, but it's not annoying. Elvis is having fun, and the ladies are goin nuts! (Because of the gyrations ofcoarse). ''Fever, till youre silly'' is actually quite funny.

Polk Salad Annie - Great pace, not to fast not to slow. Elvis actually gives a bit of a growl during ''Where the alligators grow so mean-ah''. Instead of singing ''Her daddy was a lazy at no count'' he sings ''Her momma was a lady at no count!''. And laughs a few times, But it's cute!. Instead of Chain Gang, he sings Chain Gun! lol. The band is cooking aswell!. Great, a highlight for me. Jerry's bass is getting more upfront which is awesome to hear!.

My Way - Elvis doesn't mention that he's using lyric sheets!. So most likely he isn't. He delivers a beautiful version. Straight and serious, with a great vocal to add. Altough the ending could have been slightly better.

Time to get back to the audience recording, as the band introductions are incomplete on the soundboard (including the near to complete early morning rain :( )

The band introductions are what they are. So let's not talk about those, as we know how those are.

Early Morning Rain - Always loved this song, and this is a great performance, im glad elvis sung it near-complete this time. great version
The band solo's are as usual good. noticeable thou, elvis starts of Johnny Be Goode quite strong but then goes back to his soft voice.

School Day - Elvis sings most of the lyrics, Always enjoyed this short but cute performance. He ends it strong.

Hurt - It's time for hurt!. very strong version, killer ending! Beautiful. Highlight!

Hound Dog - Does it even need a mention?. You ain't you ain't elvis repeats for 8 times. Then does a trowaway version, Nothing interesting. Understandable as after more then 1200 live versions.. who wouldn't have gotten tired of singing this day in day out. I like the Rapid City version, mainly for elvis his moves during the break. Elvis growl a bit during the break in this concert.

Can't Help Falling In Love/Closing Vamp - ''we were a little slow getting here, i hope that you enjoyed the show, we gonna be around here for the next couple of days, if you got a chance come and see us, but until we meet you again, god bless you''. An okay version, nothing interesting but okay i guess. The ending is strong.

So conclusion:
A enjoyable concert, quite strong for 1977. Elvis seemed to be happy, and enjoying himself. The show is about 1 hour and 7 minutes.
If you get a chance get the CD. It's quite an enjoyable show, where the Good outweight the bad.

I can't comment on the show, as I haven't heard most of it, but If You Love Me wasn't a new song - Elvis was singing it by the summer Vegas season in 74!

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Johnny2523 wrote:Written while listening (Added soundboard songs to get a better listening view). Inspired by the topic that was started by Poormadpeter in the All Elvis Section

So conclusion:
Wow.

With all due respect, a show on 4-23-1977 in Toledo, Ohio merits a song-by-song review with the adjective "great" used 14 times, not to mention excusing away hapless renditions of several #1 hits?

I believe these are yours:

RC Glasses.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

So conclusion:
Wow.

With all due respect, a show on 4-23-1977 in Toledo, Ohio merits a song-by-song review with the adjective "great" used 14 times, not to mention excusing away hapless renditions of several #1 hits?

RC Glasses.jpg
No they aren't. I wrote this all when listening to the show and how i felt about it.
It's my opinion, my point of view

Topic author
Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

poormadpeter wrote:

So conclusion:

I can't comment on the show, as I haven't heard most of it, but If You Love Me wasn't a new song - Elvis was singing it by the summer Vegas season in 74!
for us it wasn't a new song. Back then people didnt had the hundreds of soundboards and audience recordings we have now. It wasn't on any studio album. so it was a new song in 1977.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Johnny2523 wrote:No they aren't. I wrote this all when listening to the show and how i felt about it.
Your opinion is overly forgiving. Because you are far less kind to far superior performances eight years earlier, it seems fair to point that out.

Johnny2523 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I can't comment on the show, as I haven't heard most of it, but If You Love Me wasn't a new song - Elvis was singing it by the summer Vegas season in 74!
for us it wasn't a new song. Back then people didnt had the hundreds of soundboards and audience recordings we have now. It wasn't on any studio album. so it was a new song in 1977.
The facts are that "If You Love Me (Let Me Know)" was a March 1974 single release by Olivia Newton-John that made it to #5 on Billboard's "Hot 100" (June 29, 1974), and became the lead-off track on her first U.S. #1 album (October 12, 1974).

In other words, it was a huge hit, and few who heard Elvis sing it in Toledo three years later said to themselves, "Hey, a new song!"

Presley followed the arrangement of the Olivia single, right down to the bass voice. Elvis was a sucker for a bass harmony, and this hit and another by John, "Let Me Be There," feature one.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

I think what Johnny is trying to say is that for the fans who attended the show in 1977, it was a song they probably hadn't heard Elvis sing before, on any album, and chances are they may not have seen him before.

As for the review itself, it is Johnny's opinion of how he felt listening to the various sources of the show. It probably wouldn't be my opinion, but it is his, and he's entitled to it. We're all Elvis fans, at the end of the day...

Topic author
Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

DarrylMac wrote:I think what Johnny is trying to say is that for the fans who attended the show in 1977, it was a song they probably hadn't heard Elvis sing before, on any album, and chances are they may not have seen him before.

As for the review itself, it is Johnny's opinion of how he felt listening to the various sources of the show. It probably wouldn't be my opinion, but it is his, and he's entitled to it. We're all Elvis fans, at the end of the day...
Thanks darryl, atleast you are respectful with your comment.
and that's exactly how i meant it.

Topic author
Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Wow.

No they aren't. I wrote this all when listening to the show and how i felt about it.
Yes, and the only way you could have written it is while wearing those.

That's my opinion, and I'll wager it is not uncommon.

Johnny2523 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I can't comment on the show, as I haven't heard most of it, but If You Love Me wasn't a new song - Elvis was singing it by the summer Vegas season in 74!
Please.

"If You Love Me (Let Me Know)" was a March 1974 single release by Olivia Newton-John that made #5 on Billboard's "Hot 100" (June 29, 1974), and became the lead-off track on her first U.S. #1 album (October 12, 1974).

It was a huge hit, and no one who heard Elvis sing it in Toledo three years later said to themselves, "Hey, a new song!" It didn't help that Presley followed the arrangement of the Olivia single, right down to the bass voice. Elvis was a sucker for a bass harmony, and both this hit and another by John, "Let Me Be There" feature one.
Again you're wrong, I wrote it because thats how i felt.. Because unlike you, there ARE people who still enjoy shows like these, and can listen to them with an open mind. You don't see any good concerts in 1977, So maybe your the one wearing rose colored glasses. thats my opinion

SouthernMan
Registered for: 9 years 10 months

Post by SouthernMan »

When it comes to opinions, there is no right or wrong. If you ask 100 Elvis fans the same question, you'll most likely get 100 different answers.

Personally, I don't really care to listen to anything (live) after 1974.

But if someone thinks it 'great', more power to them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 6 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

Thanks for the review and your insights from this show, Johnny. Appreciate your post.

rlj

vinelvis
Registered for: 10 years

Post by vinelvis »

Thanks for this review!