Interview With Sandi Miller

In this section you can submit questions to people that knew Elvis, or to other important people in the Elvis World.

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Monique
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Re: Interview With Sandi Miller

Post by Monique »

Barbie wrote:Hi Sandi - thanx SO much for all your fantastic memories of our dear Elvis!!! I only had 2 weekend of opportunities to fly down from Canada to meet Elvis in L.A.(which we did!) in March of '67 and April of '68........he was so very sweet and kind to the fans waiting outside the gates.......very caring and funny.........he asked once why we came down all the way from Canada - we said "to see you Elvis!".........he replied "all that way just to see me!!!!!?" - we told him "yes - because we love you Elvis" and he grinned and kept signing autographs for fans-very accomodating to those fans I must say!!!..............those memories hanging around his homes are so very special ....I suppose it was because he was so real and not on stage and in the spotlight.......and Sandi I have to agree - he WAS so very good looking in person....Ruff!!!!......what picture has possibly captured that magical look?

I wish I could have gone down and stayed in L.A. and been at the gate every nite he was there but one must work and make money.......Unfortunately, I lived 1900 miles away otherwise I would have been there!!!..................You're one lucky lady!!!!

We did go to see Elvis live from '69 to '76 so we were extremely lucky to have done that also!!!!.........(30 shows)

Great memories Sandi!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're very sweet and kind to share your wonderful memories!!!!! Hi to Bud Glass!!

Another lucky lady!

Always Elvis on my mind

DutchLA
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Post by DutchLA »

Barbie wrote:Hi Sandi - thanx SO much for all your fantastic memories of our dear Elvis!!! I only had 2 weekend of opportunities to fly down from Canada to meet Elvis in L.A.(which we did!) in March of '67 and April of '68........he was so very sweet and kind to the fans waiting outside the gates.......very caring and funny.........he asked once why we came down all the way from Canada - we said "to see you Elvis!".........he replied "all that way just to see me!!!!!?" - we told him "yes - because we love you Elvis" and he grinned and kept signing autographs for fans-very accomodating to those fans I must say!!!..............those memories hanging around his homes are so very special ....I suppose it was because he was so real and not on stage and in the spotlight.......and Sandi I have to agree - he WAS so very good looking in person....Ruff!!!!......what picture has possibly captured that magical look?

I wish I could have gone down and stayed in L.A. and been at the gate every nite he was there but one must work and make money.......Unfortunately, I lived 1900 miles away otherwise I would have been there!!!..................You're one lucky lady!!!!

We did go to see Elvis live from '69 to '76 so we were extremely lucky to have done that also!!!!.........(30 shows)

Great memories Sandi!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're very sweet and kind to share your wonderful memories!!!!! Hi to Bud Glass!!
**Well then you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about and if I had one wish, it would be that every fan on earth, could have spent just a few minutes at that gate (or anywhere else) talking with him. He had the quickest wit - a very dry sense of humor - he didn't just stand there and sign things, or pose for photos, he CONNECTED with everyone present! Eye contact, conversation - whatever - but he put everyone at ease immediately. He also had a way of seeking out the timid in the crowd! If there was a fan who stayed in the back or off to the side, he would make it a point to bring them forward, to specifically talk to that person...I have never seen that in any other celebrity and I've met many!

Liverbobs
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Liverbobs »

**Well then you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about and if I had one wish, it would be that every fan on earth, could have spent just a few minutes at that gate (or anywhere else) talking with him. He had the quickest wit - a very dry sense of humor - he didn't just stand there and sign things, or pose for photos, he CONNECTED with everyone present! Eye contact, conversation - whatever - but he put everyone at ease immediately. He also had a way of seeking out the timid in the crowd! If there was a fan who stayed in the back or off to the side, he would make it a point to bring them forward, to specifically talk to that person...I have never seen that in any other celebrity and I've met many!

Fantastic!

"How Do You Expect Me To Soar Like An Eagle When I'm Surrounded By Turkeys? " .Anon.

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by elvisjock »

DutchLA wrote:

I would guess that it was easy for him to spot the outlier in the crowd, since he was that same person, not long before.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Liverbobs wrote:Can we make this a sticky?
I vote for a section -- Sandi's Corner. If she's OK with the idea...

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

riley
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Post by riley »

That is a great idea DrJohnCarpenter ::rocks :smt006

It's hard NOT to imagine Elvis as perfect; how else could someone be THAT good looking, THAT talented, THAT generous & THAT charismatic

drjohncarpenter

riley wrote:That is a great idea DrJohnCarpenter ::rocks :smt006
This is what I do!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
Sergio Luiz

Post by Sergio Luiz »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Hey Doc, Dont spoil the surprise! We are working on that very same idea with Sandi.
Here´s the prototype page, wich I tought to be called...Sandi´s Corner,,, ! :smt006

http://www.elvisbrasil.com.br/epbrasil/sandiscorner.htm

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by Cryogenic »

Sandi, thanks for your continued input here.

It's nice to have a foxy lady giving detailed, insider info on Elvis Aaron Presley.

Life is rarely sweeter than this.

DutchLA

Post by DutchLA »

Dan_T wrote:Hi Sandi,fantastic memories,almost like being there !

I listened to the interview that Joe posted,he asked if you ever dated Elvis,you said no,but did you say that you wouldn't have wanted to either ? if so,why would that be ? just curious.

Thanks,

Dan.
Oh that's simple -- first of all he never asked!!! But if he had, the reason I would have said no is because the girlfriends came and the girlfriends went!!! The friends, on the other hand, stayed, year after year and were welcome at all locations. Girlfriends were not--you were either an LA girl, a Memphis girl, a Palm Springs girl, an out of state girl....but anyway you look at it - after a while, they never returned.

Also - with one exception, being a friend had all the perks being a girlfriend had and in some cases, maybe more, depending on how you look at it.

DutchLA

Post by DutchLA »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

You all are gonna get sick of hearing from me is all I can say! I hope not, but I'm just saying.......

Little Darlin
Registered for: 17 years 4 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

Sergio Luiz wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Hey Doc, Dont spoil the surprise! We are working on that very same idea with Sandi.
Here´s the prototype page, wich I tought to be called...Sandi´s Corner,,, ! :smt006

Now that's something to look forward to. Nice work Sandi and Sergio.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Nora Sivle
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by Nora Sivle »

What a fantastic topic...And ThankYouVeryMuch Sandi, for sharing your fantastic stories. In between the lines I can see you must be a sincere and honest person. Thanks for sharing,and keep on sharing :D :D

FACT is not everything.....It is only what we can prove......REALITY is everything else.

drjohncarpenter

Sergio Luiz wrote:Here´s the prototype page, wich I tought to be called...Sandi´s Corner,,, ! :smt006

Hey, you stole my idea for FECC!

;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Excellent reasoning and explanation Sandi VERY interested to read this -thanks!. 8)
DutchLA wrote:
Dan_T wrote:Hi Sandi,fantastic memories,almost like being there !

I listened to the interview that Joe posted,he asked if you ever dated Elvis,you said no,but did you say that you wouldn't have wanted to either ? if so,why would that be ? just curious.

Thanks,

Dan.
Oh that's simple -- first of all he never asked!!! But if he had, the reason I would have said no is because the girlfriends came and the girlfriends went!!! The friends, on the other hand, stayed, year after year and were welcome at all locations. Girlfriends were not--you were either an LA girl, a Memphis girl, a Palm Springs girl, an out of state girl....but anyway you look at it - after a while, they never returned.

Also - with one exception, being a friend had all the perks being a girlfriend had and in some cases, maybe more, depending on how you look at it.

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Cryogenic

Post by Cryogenic »

DutchLA wrote:**Well then you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about and if I had one wish, it would be that every fan on earth, could have spent just a few minutes at that gate (or anywhere else) talking with him. He had the quickest wit - a very dry sense of humor - he didn't just stand there and sign things, or pose for photos, he CONNECTED with everyone present! Eye contact, conversation - whatever - but he put everyone at ease immediately. He also had a way of seeking out the timid in the crowd! If there was a fan who stayed in the back or off to the side, he would make it a point to bring them forward, to specifically talk to that person...I have never seen that in any other celebrity and I've met many!
Yes!

GREAT stuff!

I was just thinking about what you said re: eye contact.

He displays extraordinary eye contact in this "after party" footage from TTWII SE:

For someone who may have had an inherent shyness around strangers, he sure had a way with people.

I guess that's why we're all here!

drjohncarpenter

And he was very good-looking.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Cryogenic

Post by Cryogenic »

drjohncarpenter wrote:And he was very good-looking.
He was? :wink:

bethann
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by bethann »

More beautiful in person........very difficult to believe, but Sandi and Barbie aren't the only ones that have made this statement.

"More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
University of Memphis

drjohncarpenter

Just like me!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Liverbobs
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Liverbobs »

Refreshing to hear some of the good things about Elvis, I love the little tid bits especially about Elvis picking the shyest looking person out of a group of fans and paying them some attention, and also the fact that Elvis actually blushed when someone told him he was "Drop dead gorgeous" just goes to show what a decent, genuine person he was.

Agree with the Doc that we should have a little corner just for Sandi! these stories are for sharing.

"How Do You Expect Me To Soar Like An Eagle When I'm Surrounded By Turkeys? " .Anon.

DutchLA

Post by DutchLA »

Sandi, the Mike Stone story comes to mind. The "Mike Stone must die" episode happened right after the show where the Peruvian guys jumped on the stage. One interpretation is that Elvis thought Mike sent these people to mess with him. Some other folks say that Mike had suggested to Priscilla that it might be a good idea if Elvis was kept awy from Lisa for awhile, for whatever reason.

None of this justifies taking out a contract on another man's life, but it does provide some context to his bizarre behavior.[/quote]

**Just saw this -- but good points. Other partial stories I can think of (but don't ask me which books they came from because I normally don't read any of the books but catch things as other people post excerpts) So, wasn't there a story about him throwing a pool cue at someone? Did they say why? Anyway, I hope so even though it didn't make it right I think I might have been inclined to get a little ticked off myself! . Also there was someone who said Elvis thought he could move clouds or objects or something ... those are two that come to my mind this morning.
Where's my coffee-that could help!

riley
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Post by riley »

the little stories of eye witnesses are the best. Often too small to be remembered in books but sooooo important and often funny and hearthwarming. Looking forward too many many of those Sandi. I think we will never have enough of those. In some way you bring him a bit closer to those who never were fortunate enough to have seen him in real life.

Wow I envy you for that, even 5 seconds would have been enough. Can't imagine talking to him, seeing him upclose........ :smt007

What a lucky lucky lady you were to get to know him as a friend. To be able to step in his houses , to visit him.

Do you ever still dream of him or of you going back in time and then he suddenly is there again, right in front of you........??????

It's hard NOT to imagine Elvis as perfect; how else could someone be THAT good looking, THAT talented, THAT generous & THAT charismatic

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

DutchLA wrote:Sandi, the Mike Stone story comes to mind. The "Mike Stone must die" episode happened right after the show where the Peruvian guys jumped on the stage. One interpretation is that Elvis thought Mike sent these people to mess with him. Some other folks say that Mike had suggested to Priscilla that it might be a good idea if Elvis was kept awy from Lisa for awhile, for whatever reason.

None of this justifies taking out a contract on another man's life, but it does provide some context to his bizarre behavior.
**Just saw this -- but good points. Other partial stories I can think of (but don't ask me which books they came from because I normally don't read any of the books but catch things as other people post excerpts) So, wasn't there a story about him throwing a pool cue at someone? Did they say why? Anyway, I hope so even though it didn't make it right I think I might have been inclined to get a little ticked off myself! . Also there was someone who said Elvis thought he could move clouds or objects or something ... those are two that come to my mind this morning.
Where's my coffee-that could help![/quote]

The timing of the Mike Stone incident is huge, given what happened on stage that night. By no means am I excusing the contract, but given his mental state of mind, (going through a divorce and the normal hurt feelings and anger that go with it) I can understand why he did what he did. Fact remains, when the final call had to be made, he thankfully backed off!

jbnva58
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by jbnva58 »

Joe Car wrote:
DutchLA wrote:Sandi, the Mike Stone story comes to mind. The "Mike Stone must die" episode happened right after the show where the Peruvian guys jumped on the stage. One interpretation is that Elvis thought Mike sent these people to mess with him. Some other folks say that Mike had suggested to Priscilla that it might be a good idea if Elvis was kept awy from Lisa for awhile, for whatever reason.

None of this justifies taking out a contract on another man's life, but it does provide some context to his bizarre behavior.
Where's my coffee-that could help!
The timing of the Mike Stone incident is huge, given what happened on stage that night. By no means am I excusing the contract, but given his mental state of mind, (going through a divorce and the normal hurt feelings and anger that go with it) I can understand why he did what he did. Fact remains, when the final call had to be made, he thankfully backed off![/quote]

The "pool cue" incident was first reported in the West book,"Elvis What Happened".It has since been verified by Marty and others.Apparently,in 1963,one evening at his home(in Calif.,I think) Elvis and Sonny were playing pool,and a young lady who had been a regular visiter came in and asked to be driven home.Elvis was,for whatever reason,not in the best of moods,and the two had some heated words,at the end of which she called him a "sonofabitch".
Elvis apparently always,took exception to that epithet,as it in his mind reffered to his mother,and at that point hurled the pool stick at her,striking her in the breast.
The other point about Elvis claiming who could move the clouds was also in the above book.