Elvis and His Fans

In this section you can submit questions to people that knew Elvis, or to other important people in the Elvis World.

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
mark
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Elvis and His Fans

Post by mark »

This is to anyone who knew Elvis.
The times when Elvis went out ridding in his car or on his bike did he ever pull up to someone and say hi to see what reaction he would get?

DutchLA
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Re: Elvis and His Fans

Post by DutchLA »

mark wrote:This is to anyone who knew Elvis.

The times when Elvis went out ridding in his car or on his bike did he ever pull up to someone and say hi to see what reaction he would get?
**Often- and his favorite place to do it would be at the stoplights on Sunset Blvd.
If he wasn't driving, he'd occasionally stand up thru the sunroof of his Limo while going down Sunset , Hollywood, or Santa Monica Blvds. The absolutely best thing he ever did was once when the traffic signals weren't working on Santa Monica and Beverly Glenn drive - he pulled over his car and to the chagrin of the boys, walked out into the middle of the intersection and started directing traffic until the cops came and took over. People's heads were ripping around left and right. (he did a great job too!!)

debtd1
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by debtd1 »

LOL...........love that Sandi.
Not surprising people were 'rubberneckin'

Deb

"No-one, but no-one, is his equal, or ever will be. He was, and is supreme". Mick Jagger

Little Darlin
Registered for: 17 years
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

I can picture that and it's quite funny! Sandi.........did you take those pics of Elvis with his head stuck out of the roof then........it's a set of 3 I think and I I have them to post if you can't find them :lol:

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

DutchLA

Post by DutchLA »

Little Darlin wrote:I can picture that and it's quite funny! Sandi.........did you take those pics of Elvis with his head stuck out of the roof then........it's a set of 3 I think and I I have them to post if you can't find them :lol:

The ones of him with his head thru the sunroof that you're referring to were taken on Doheny Blvd - he had an entire string of cars following him (fans) so he just pulled over and posed for photos standing up thru the sunroof. Normally fans did not follow him when he'd go out but he made some comment when he left the gates that basically was a dare so of course everyone is going to take him up on it. Once everyone had their photos- no one followed him any further--he said he was on his way to Joe's for dinner.

Little Darlin

Post by Little Darlin »

This is them isn't it?
241170a1si.jpg
2411704wk.jpg
24111970agr1fn.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Axeman
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Post by Axeman »

DutchLA wrote:The absolutely best thing he ever did was once when the traffic signals weren't working on Santa Monica and Beverly Glenn drive - he pulled over his car and to the chagrin of the boys, walked out into the middle of the intersection and started directing traffic until the cops came and took over.
Did he have a badge with him at the time, or was he just a civilian directing traffic?

Your contributions to this forum are priceless... thanks for being here!

Axe

DutchLA

Post by DutchLA »

Axeman wrote:
DutchLA wrote:The absolutely best thing he ever did was once when the traffic signals weren't working on Santa Monica and Beverly Glenn drive - he pulled over his car and to the chagrin of the boys, walked out into the middle of the intersection and started directing traffic until the cops came and took over.
Did he have a badge with him at the time, or was he just a civilian directing traffic?

Your contributions to this forum are priceless... thanks for being here!

Axe
If he had a badge on him, he never hauled it out - he just pulled over the car, got out, walked into the middle of the intersection and started doing his thing-it was the craziest sight I've ever seen..and even stranger, to my knowledge, no one ever wrote about it anywhere. I mean, how often does something like that happen?

Axeman
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Post by Axeman »

DutchLA wrote: If he had a badge on him, he never hauled it out - he just pulled over the car, got out, walked into the middle of the intersection and started doing his thing-it was the craziest sight I've ever seen..and even stranger, to my knowledge, no one ever wrote about it anywhere. I mean, how often does something like that happen?
Yeah, really! But again, how quick would the average person be to believe a claim of "I just saw Elvis Presley directing traffic on Santa Monca?" lol

Axe

DutchLA

Post by DutchLA »

Axeman wrote:
DutchLA wrote: If he had a badge on him, he never hauled it out - he just pulled over the car, got out, walked into the middle of the intersection and started doing his thing-it was the craziest sight I've ever seen..and even stranger, to my knowledge, no one ever wrote about it anywhere. I mean, how often does something like that happen?
Yeah, really! But again, how quick would the average person be to believe a claim of "I just saw Elvis Presley directing traffic on Santa Monca?" lol

Axe
Oh good point!!!! There's many a story I never bring up because I stop and say to myself... "nobody would ever believe it anyway! "

Little Darlin

Post by Little Darlin »

DutchLA wrote:
Axeman wrote:

Axe
Oh good point!!!! There's many a story I never bring up because I stop and say to myself... "nobody would ever believe it anyway! "

Come on then....spill the beans -- we'll believe ya!

debtd1
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by debtd1 »

I second that Sandi,...............I think we'd believe anything Elvis did...LOL

Deb

"No-one, but no-one, is his equal, or ever will be. He was, and is supreme". Mick Jagger

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Cryogenic »

Once again, great stuff, Sandi!

Directing traffic on Santa Monica! Who knew?!

It almost sounds like something out of Monty Python. At the least, someone could wring a pretty nice sketch, or maybe even song, about it.

Any other strange road-related escapades, Sandi? I mean, we know about him stopping to help at the site of a crash (in 1976??? -- well, there's a photo and/or cutting about it, isn't there?), as well as dissolving a fight at a gas station and signing autographs. And now, directing traffic! Always willing to help, it seems. Says a lot about the man, doesn't it?

DutchLA

Post by DutchLA »

Cryogenic wrote:Once again, great stuff, Sandi!

Directing traffic on Santa Monica! Who knew?!

It almost sounds like something out of Monty Python. At the least, someone could wring a pretty nice sketch, or maybe even song, about it.

Any other strange road-related escapades, Sandi? I mean, we know about him stopping to help at the site of a crash (in 1976??? -- well, there's a photo and/or cutting about it, isn't there?), as well as dissolving a fight at a gas station and signing autographs. And now, directing traffic! Always willing to help, it seems. Says a lot about the man, doesn't it?
**Road incidences?** cute! Let's see. There was a couple of fans who had a flat on the fwy (on their way up to Hillcrest I might add) and Elvis knew their car (he knew all the regulars' cars ) He pulled over to the side of the fwy and had (it's kinda funny) he pulls over and then has one of the boys change the tire for them. I didn't see this happen-only heard it second hand from the girls, but Elvis confirmed it by making some cracks to the girls later on in the day saying if their tire fell off it's because he wasn't sure the boys knew how to really change a tire and for them to be sure and have it checked, or something to that effect.

DutchLA

Post by DutchLA »

Little Darlin wrote:
DutchLA wrote:
Axeman wrote:

Axe

Come on then....spill the beans -- we'll believe ya!
I'll give it one shot.....there were a few weekends that were dubbed Pajama weekend...everyone just stayed in their jammies all weekend long- no *new* people were invited or allowed to be there...no one went anywhere...just louged around all day ... kind of like the Hugh Hefner syndrome!.... A lot of jokes made by a couple of the boys who insisted they wore no jammies...too bad!!...Gotta wear em anyway-thems the rules!

minni1
Registered for: 20 years

Post by minni1 »

OMG! A PJ party with Elvis. Lounging around, all casual, watching TV and talking,talking,talking! I can't imagine a better way to spend time with Elvis...well, I can, but that's not for this forum. :oops:

Riverfront Coliseum Cincinnati, Ohio, June 25, 1977

Cryogenic

Post by Cryogenic »

DutchLA wrote:**Road incidences?** cute!
:)
DutchLA wrote:Let's see. There was a couple of fans who had a flat on the fwy (on their way up to Hillcrest I might add) and Elvis knew their car (he knew all the regulars' cars )
Pretty amazing!
DutchLA wrote:He pulled over to the side of the fwy and had (it's kinda funny) he pulls over and then has one of the boys change the tire for them. I didn't see this happen-only heard it second hand from the girls, but Elvis confirmed it by making some cracks to the girls later on in the day saying if their tire fell off it's because he wasn't sure the boys knew how to really change a tire and for them to be sure and have it checked, or something to that effect.
LOL!

Another nice story, Sandi. Thanks.

Little Darlin

Post by Little Darlin »

Come on then....spill the beans -- we'll believe ya
I'll give it one shot.....there were a few weekends that were dubbed Pajama weekend...everyone just stayed in their jammies all weekend long- no *new* people were invited or allowed to be there...no one went anywhere...just louged around all day ... kind of like the Hugh Hefner syndrome!.... A lot of jokes made by a couple of the boys who insisted they wore no jammies...too bad!!...Gotta wear em anyway-thems the rules!

Cooooool 8)

Rocker
Registered for: 16 years

Post by Rocker »

Someone needs to write a book about all this funny stuff. Would be nice to read this instead of another drug-story-book

Well, hello there....

Monique
Registered for: 15 years 8 months

Post by Monique »

Rocker wrote:Someone needs to write a book about all this funny stuff. Would be nice to read this instead of another drug-story-book
That's exactly my opinion.

Always Elvis on my mind

DutchLA

Post by DutchLA »

Monique wrote:
Rocker wrote:Someone needs to write a book about all this funny stuff. Would be nice to read this instead of another drug-story-book
Doing a book on the funny stuff would be easy since I remember more of that than I do the not so funny stuff. Heck, Elvis' one liners in the course of a day could take up a entire chapter - he was QUICK, and very dry in his humor and sometimes it took a second or two to "get it" ---- for me anyway!

Cryogenic

Post by Cryogenic »

"Don't let the lights and cameras throw you, and don't throw the lights and cameras . . . "

Neverending
Registered for: 14 years 7 months

Post by Neverending »

Very nice and funny stories. I enjoy them a lot - specially because there is wirtten too much scrap about Elvis..Thx for sharing, Sandi.

A limited mind cannot think freely - Bruce Lee

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 10 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Thanks Sandi ,interesting replies ,as always

-instagram kenh1964

Rocker
Registered for: 16 years

Post by Rocker »

DutchLA wrote:
Monique wrote:
Doing a book on the funny stuff would be easy since I remember more of that than I do the not so funny stuff. Heck, Elvis' one liners in the course of a day could take up a entire chapter - he was QUICK, and very dry in his humor and sometimes it took a second or two to "get it" ---- for me anyway!

I guess everybody would love that. But we could also open a thread dedicated just to the funny stories so we'll have them all in one place.....

Well, hello there....