ELVIS last performance

In this section you can submit questions to people that knew Elvis, or to other important people in the Elvis World.

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Elvis A. Presley
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Re: ELVIS last performance

Post by Elvis A. Presley »

Yes. I read the same thing too somewhere, probably some website ....

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man »

The audience recording on ADIOS is beautiful. A flat soundboard would ruin it forever.

Listen to ADIOS with earphones. You are THERE on the second row.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS, SON!!! Excusez-moi monsieur ?
Image Image

Monique
Registered for: 15 years 8 months

Post by Monique »

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:The audience recording on ADIOS is beautiful. A flat soundboard would ruin it forever.

I can't imagine that a soundboard could compete with ADIOS.

Always Elvis on my mind

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

The ideal release of June 26, 1977 would mesh the in-line recording with the high-quality audience tape. It can be difficult to do from a technical standpoint, but it is not impossible. Such a historic occasion deserves the extra mile.

Of course, the imperfections of the evening would also be laid bare by such a release, making this idea a bit of a double-edged sword.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

joeroberts
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by joeroberts »

Dr -

From what I understand, it is nearly impossible to do so with unprofessional tape sources. This has to do with the physical nature of the tape and the fact that it does warp enough so that while we may be unable to detect it on a listen by itself, it would be unbearable to do so with two sources layered on top of one another. The same problem does not exist when talking about combining digitally recorded ALD signals, for example, and audience recordings. I'm sure you are familiar with bootlegs released this way.

Some evidence of this can be heard on ELV1S when even highly professional sources cannot sync perfectly. You'll remember that for the remix of Suspicious Minds, they had to source the horns from (if I remember correctly) the original master mix. If these were originally digital recordings that would have stood absolutely no warping at all (impossible when your source is tape) than we wouldn't have had that wooshing sound in Suspicious Minds.

Unfortunately for us, I understand it would be impossible to obtain a satisfactory result from combining a soundboard recording and the brilliant audience capture from June 26, 1977.

Joe

Topic author
Elvis A. Presley

Let's just hope that the soundboard is in some hands and that one day it will see the light ........

Marko
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by Marko »

joeroberts wrote:Dr -

From what I understand, it is nearly impossible to do so with unprofessional tape sources. This has to do with the physical nature of the tape and the fact that it does warp enough so that while we may be unable to detect it on a listen by itself, it would be unbearable to do so with two sources layered on top of one another. The same problem does not exist when talking about combining digitally recorded ALD signals, for example, and audience recordings. I'm sure you are familiar with bootlegs released this way.

Joe
I can see your point. There probably is a problem to combine them but I imagine that today with digital technology they just might be able to do it.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

Axeman
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Post by Axeman »

It is entirely possible, though not necessarily easy, to do. I am confident I could do it myself.

Axe

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by stevelecher »

I think there would be some disappointment with "Bridge," "Release Me," and "Can't Stop Loving You," amongst others, like Doc said.

Steve L.

bondpa
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by bondpa »

The combination of AUD & SBD tapes are commonly called MATRIX recordings. They're done all the time, especially in Grateful Dead circles. A lot of times they're made to improve the quality of a flat sounding soundboard and to give you more of a feel of being there. I've done several of them with Grateful Dead tapes. Problems with recordings this old can be tape stretching and the fact that every tape player actually plays at slightly different speeds, etc. You need to match up the two tape sources and usually, one tape will either end up slightly faster or slower than the other. You then have to stretch or compress the tape to get it to sync up again. This can be very tedious work and may need to be done every few seconds or so. So doing a whole show can take a lot of time. It wouldn't be impossible at all to do a matrix of 6/26/77, just could take some time depending on tape sources.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

bondpa wrote:The combination of AUD & SBD tapes are commonly called MATRIX recordings. They're done all the time, especially in Grateful Dead circles. A lot of times they're made to improve the quality of a flat sounding soundboard and to give you more of a feel of being there. I've done several of them with Grateful Dead tapes. Problems with recordings this old can be tape stretching and the fact that every tape player actually plays at slightly different speeds, etc. You need to match up the two tape sources and usually, one tape will either end up slightly faster or slower than the other. You then have to stretch or compress the tape to get it to sync up again. This can be very tedious work and may need to be done every few seconds or so. So doing a whole show can take a lot of time. It wouldn't be impossible at all to do a matrix of 6/26/77, just could take some time depending on tape sources.
Nice reply.

Did you know your avatar is an uncropped, colourized version of the photo used for the Oct 3, 1977 TV Guide entry?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

bondpa
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by bondpa »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
bondpa wrote:The combination of AUD & SBD tapes are commonly called MATRIX recordings. They're done all the time, especially in Grateful Dead circles. A lot of times they're made to improve the quality of a flat sounding soundboard and to give you more of a feel of being there. I've done several of them with Grateful Dead tapes. Problems with recordings this old can be tape stretching and the fact that every tape player actually plays at slightly different speeds, etc. You need to match up the two tape sources and usually, one tape will either end up slightly faster or slower than the other. You then have to stretch or compress the tape to get it to sync up again. This can be very tedious work and may need to be done every few seconds or so. So doing a whole show can take a lot of time. It wouldn't be impossible at all to do a matrix of 6/26/77, just could take some time depending on tape sources.
Nice reply.

Did you know your avatar is an uncropped, colourized version of the photo used for the Oct 3, 1977 TV Guide entry?
Yep, 'cause I'm the one who colorized it and originally posted the TV Guide images in another thread. LOL

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

I knew that looked so familar! I used to have that TV Guide! I was staring at it wondering why it looked familar , besides looking the way I don't like to remember him....and just found the thread. I get a kick out of what else was on back then...!

By the way I'm partial to the 1998 upgrade of "Adios" on Rainbow Records with a new title and a fatter booklet with notes and photos.

I just miss some of the "sweetened" applause during the introductions or final comments.

Ton Bruins
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Ton Bruins »

I have information there exists a soundboard from his last show. The owner asks too much money for it though..same goes for Pittsburgh 1976..this soundboard is incomplete but it does exsist...

Gregory Nolan Jr.

That stinks. People missed the boat on cashinig in on these.

I just hope they don't end up in the Camden River like the RCA tapes.

Ton Bruins
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Ton Bruins »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:That stinks. People missed the boat on cashinig in on these.

I just hope they don't end up in the Camden River like the RCA tapes.
Yes, I have this information from someone who should know...and they ask a lot of money for it...too bad indeed...

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Does that person know that the retail CD market is almost dead except for specialty titles?

Even FTD is sitting on it's own motherlode. They don't need such a tape if its over priced. They have enough to have the solid fanbase turn out for a long time at $30 a crack.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

rampage
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by rampage »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I knew that looked so familar! I used to have that TV Guide! I was staring at it wondering why it looked familar , besides looking the way I don't like to remember him....and just found the thread. I get a kick out of what else was on back then...!

By the way I'm partial to the 1998 upgrade of "Adios" on Rainbow Records with a new title and a fatter booklet with notes and photos.

I just miss some of the "sweetened" applause during the introductions or final comments.

I have this one Great quality. I also like the poster that came with it.

Christopher
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Christopher »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:By the way I'm partial to the 1998 upgrade of "Adios" on Rainbow Records with a new title and a fatter booklet with notes and photos.

i think, this album was released in 2008.

Give a man a fish and he´ll have dinner for a day.
Teach a man how to fish and he´ll have dinner for a lifetime!

(signature borrowed from treasured fecc member lovin´ EP Linda ... until she wants it back)

More important than ever: https://blacklivesmatter.com/

G.I. Blues
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by G.I. Blues »

Ton Bruins wrote:I have information there exists a soundboard from his last show. The owner asks too much money for it though..same goes for Pittsburgh 1976..this soundboard is incomplete but it does exsist...
What's the asking price?

Daddy has left the Wohnzimmer!
Thank You and Good Night!

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

G.I. Blues wrote:
Ton Bruins wrote:I have information there exists a soundboard from his last show. The owner asks too much money for it though..same goes for Pittsburgh 1976..this soundboard is incomplete but it does exsist...
What's the asking price?
i think 1 million dollars like the colonel :lol: :lol: :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Topic author
Elvis A. Presley

I wanted to add one thing about the "PRE" Elvis' Last Concert ( Cincinnati ) and Indianapolis.
He "sounds" with no doubt and absolutely, less stoned than what he was in Omaha ... He sings quite clear and seems particularly focused.
By the way, it is such a shame that the recordings sound slow ... I guess it's a pitch recording problem and the records sound as he's singing in "slow motion" mode :D

promiseland
Registered for: 13 years

Post by promiseland »

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:The audience recording on ADIOS is beautiful. A flat soundboard would ruin it forever.

:wtf:

Christopher
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Christopher »

promiseland wrote: :wtf:
didya ever?

(listen with headphones)

Give a man a fish and he´ll have dinner for a day.
Teach a man how to fish and he´ll have dinner for a lifetime!

(signature borrowed from treasured fecc member lovin´ EP Linda ... until she wants it back)

More important than ever: https://blacklivesmatter.com/

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

unfortunately this is becoming quite a problem... with good concerts not getting heard because of greedy people!~ :(

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!