The two Aloha Jumpsuits

(Closed, Archive only)Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes. (Closed, Archive only)

Moderators: Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Tony Trout
Registered for: 21 years

Re: The two Aloha Jumpsuits

Post by Tony Trout »

iplayastrat wrote:Thanks for the list Tony T.
You're welcome.

Ciscoking wrote:Who can add pictures for all the suits..?
CK,

Give me some time to find pictures and I will add them.

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

That`s a word...we will make something very special..THANK YOU..!!

::rocks

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

jon_burrows
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by jon_burrows »

burroughs wrote:
Neverending wrote:There are three versions of the Aloha Eagle.
Two identical jumpsuit he received on 17.th January 1973 for the Aloha special and he used them for the Aloha and his Jan./Feb. 73 engagement in Las Vegas and one larger version for going on tour in April.
a little late for the aloha special, huh? :wink:

@jon:
as far as I know, there were 2 belts.
the original one, he wore and gave away during the aloha-show (with 4 red stones on the buckle) and a second one with 6 red stones.
about the cape, I just heard or read the story about the second cape (that was abviously too long and too heavy to wear it on stage) :oops:

The first belt was given to Jack Lord a couple of days before the concerts. The second belt was made specially and flown to Hawaii in time for the shows.

jon_burrows

Post by jon_burrows »

How are you gonna add the photos to the relevant jumpsuit? Use a separate post or add them to the OP?

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Any suggestions..?

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

jon_burrows wrote:
burroughs wrote:
Neverending wrote:There are three versions of the Aloha Eagle.
Two identical jumpsuit he received on 17.th January 1973 for the Aloha special and he used them for the Aloha and his Jan./Feb. 73 engagement in Las Vegas and one larger version for going on tour in April.
a little late for the aloha special, huh? :wink:

@jon:
as far as I know, there were 2 belts.
the original one, he wore and gave away during the aloha-show (with 4 red stones on the buckle) and a second one with 6 red stones.
about the cape, I just heard or read the story about the second cape (that was abviously too long and too heavy to wear it on stage) :oops:

The first belt was given to Jack Lord a couple of days before the concerts. The second belt was made specially and flown to Hawaii in time for the shows.

The "floor-length" cape was the one that was too large for him to wear - that was the FIRST cape made. When Elvis tried it on, he fell backwards and laughed like crazy after trying it on - that's when he told Bill Belew to just make a "calf-length" cape. That date of January 17, 1973 is the date of the invoice for the jumpsuits and capes.

Below are pictures of the capes: The "calf-length" cape that Elvis wound up wearing for the bot the January 12, 1973 & January 14, 1973 shows, respectively and the "floor-length" cape that he never wore and Graceland sold at an auction in the 1990s..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

jon_burrows

Post by jon_burrows »

Ciscoking wrote:Any suggestions..?

You could have a sub-forum for jumpsuits/stage wear only. In this sub-forum a separate thread for each jumpsuit in which information and photos could be added.

burroughs
Registered for: 18 years

Post by burroughs »

jon_burrows wrote:The first belt was given to Jack Lord a couple of days before the concerts. The second belt was made specially and flown to Hawaii in time for the shows.
is there a picture of the very first belt available?
or did it look just like the one he wore during the 2 shows in hawaii?

..it´s the feelin´ that I get
lookin´ down at my brand new baby..

jon_burrows

Post by jon_burrows »

burroughs wrote:
jon_burrows wrote:The first belt was given to Jack Lord a couple of days before the concerts. The second belt was made specially and flown to Hawaii in time for the shows.
is there a picture of the very first belt available?
or did it look just like the one he wore during the 2 shows in hawaii?

I haven't seen any pictures of the first belt. But I would assume it would've been exactly the same design as there wouldn't have been enough time to design a new belt from scratch.

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

elvis8atari wrote:anyone have close up photos of the rings Elvis wore during aloha from hawaii?
I don't have close-ups of the three rings that Elvis wore on his right hand during the "Aloha" show but I'm only assuming that they were the same type of rings he wore during the November 20, 1972 Honolulu, HI press conference but the ring he wore on his left hand was the large "Horseshoe" ring with either twelve or thirteen small diamonds shaped like a horseshoe and a bigger diamond in the middle.

torbjorn94
Registered for: 14 years

Post by torbjorn94 »

I have heard that a photographer caught the cape. But do anyone know when Graceland got the cape back? And why?

NikkiTCB

Post by NikkiTCB »

When the gentleman who caught the cape passed away, the cape was given to Elvis' estate.
I don't remember when he passed away, but it seems like it was the mid 1990s.

Nikki

srlogicom
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by srlogicom »

Perhaps I'm mistaken but I thought the later Aloha suit had blue kick pleats. The list shows them as red. Am I remembering incorrectly? Thanks

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

NikkiTCB wrote:When the gentleman who caught the cape passed away, the cape was given to Elvis' estate.
I don't remember when he passed away, but it seems like it was the mid-1990s?
Nikki,

The man who originally caught the cape was a man named Bruce Spinks, who was a sportswriter for the Honolulu Advertiser. A year after AFH, a man by the name of Andrew Kern ( a HUGE Elvis fan!) learned of the whereabouts of the cape and purchased it from Mr. Spinks.

Mr. Spinks, as far as I know is reportedly still alive. Sadly, Mr. Kern is not. Andrew Kern passed away from cancer in 1995.

Andrew's father telephoned Graceland and spoke to the late Toddd Morgan about the cape. Graceland/EPE had known all along of the whereabouts of the cape but never made any attempts to acquire it until the day Andrew's father called them and asked them if they would be interested in the cape. Of course, they said, "Yes!" and asked how much and they were floored when Andy's father DONATED the cape back to Graceland and had it put on permanent display as Andy had requested.

NikkiTCB

Post by NikkiTCB »

Thanks Tony!

Nikki

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

NikkiTCB wrote:Thanks Tony!

Nikki

You're welcome, Nikki.

The fool

Post by The fool »

Tony Trout wrote: The man who originally caught the cape was a man named Bruce Spinks, who was a sportswriter for the Honolulu Advertiser.
Here´s a photo of Bruce Spinks with the cape.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Toddman38
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by Toddman38 »

The fool wrote:
Tony Trout wrote: The man who originally caught the cape was a man named Bruce Spinks, who was a sportswriter for the Honolulu Advertiser.
Here´s a photo of Bruce Spinks with the cape.

Thank you Tony.

I realize this is a old Thread, but Im a new member. I enjoyed this one alot.

I bet EPE s**t themselves, when they found the Kearn Family wanted nothing for the 2nd Aloha cape... To bad C. Parker didnt do the same, when his E.P. collection, was aquired by EPE! :roll: :facep: