Leaving hotel in Atlanta June 30 1973

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, drjohncarpenter, Site Mechanic

Topic author
argentelvis
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Leaving hotel in Atlanta June 30 1973

Post by argentelvis »

Hi Doc, Do you know about the short footage of Elvis leaving and returning to his hotel in Atlanta? And which hotel was it? I saw this some time ago in perfect condition but didn´t download and now I completely regret. Thank you buddy.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Leaving hotel in Atlanta June 30 1973

Post by drjohncarpenter »

argentelvis on Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:44 am wrote:Hi Doc, Do you know about the short footage of Elvis leaving and returning to his hotel in Atlanta? And which hotel was it? I saw this some time ago in perfect condition but didn´t download and now I completely regret. Thank you buddy.

The video online is poor quality. It appears to be a VHS copy of the original Super 8 films. You do clearly see a blonde woman get absolutely manhandled by a local security man, though. This is most likely from the downtown Atlanta Hilton.

Here's a great preview of the summer 1973 shows in Atlanta:

730616_Atlanta Constitution_p65.JPG
The clothes have changed -- they're more modish now -- but the entertainer inside them is still Elvis, even though he is now 38. Elvis Presley's name is still a magic name in show business.

Elvis

The King Is Coming Back to Atlanta Thursday for the First of 5 Shows

By JIM GRAY

Elvis Presley will rock and roll into Atlanta Thursday for the first of five shows of crooning and swooning with more than 85,000 ticket-buying fans.

At 38, Elvis "The Pelvis" is the same, yet modernized, performer who came to Atlanta in 1956 and was dubbed "A young man who plays guitar" -a less than ecstatic label considering Elvis' stardom since then.

That was just two years after the young truck driver and gospel singer from Memphis had been signed by RCA Victor for an amazingly low $40,000.

RCA took the young man who used to sit in the front row at Blackwood Brothers gospel sings in Memphis and made him into the hottest recording and movie star in two decades.

The five performances at the Omni, which will be spread over three weeks, will be the biggest money-maker ever at the Omni with the exception of the circus.

As of last Monday, all but 2,000 tickets for the last show July 3 had been sold at prices ranging from $10 to $5.

Omni officials will not reveal total proceeds expected, but the Omni Group plans to present him an award entitled, "To the Greatest Attraction by an Individual Performer in Atlanta History."

When Elvis played and sang at the Fox Theater here in 1956, some parents were disgusted by his gyrations while the kids went wild.

He returned several months later to the Paramount Theater, and fans tore a $15 shirt from his back. Just $15?

The fans have clamored for an Atlanta performance since then.

But space stood in the way. Elvis wanted to start his 1970 tour here but could not because only 5,000 indoor seats were available.

He had won over some of the parents by releasing two albums of religious songs. And the Ed Sullivan Show when cameras stayed above his twisting waist hooked more and more moderate fans.

Elvis used to sling his guitar around his neck and strum in now and then, but he has abandoned the prop mainly because he can play only chords.

But his voice is still flamboyant. Sam Wallace, a retired salesman and promoter for RCA Victor's Elvis records, knows Elvis personally and recalled last week that Elvis is modest and never arrogant off the stage.

"He's a millionaire several times over, but contributes heavily to charities," Wallace said. "Because people would mob him, he has lost his freedom to go out into public and has become introverted."

Fans streaming to the Omni won't see an introvert. If you want to see some shaking goin' on, he'll do it. If it's love songs you want, he'll sing them. If by chance your goal in life is to catch a sweaty scarf thrown from the stage, limber up your fingers.

The man dressed in sequins will almost certainly lean into such favorites as "Blue Suede Shoes," "Are You Lonesome Tonight," "Hound Dog," and "Jailhouse Rock."

His latest hit "Steamroller Blues" will not be forgotten that is if his Atlanta fan club has its way. The 800-member "Can't Get Enough of King Elvis Fan Club" will give him a flower arrangement of a steam roller. They also plan to hold up a large banner of Elvis wearing a gold-glittered crown.

The club also will welcome him to town with a newspaper ad "as large as we can buy," according to president Mrs. Louise McCurley.

They, and the millions of other fans, remember Elvis' Army days pictured in Life magazine. Generals and the such kept trying to lure him into singing at their parties, but Elvis said he was a soldier and just wanted to drive tanks in Germany.

He has grown up since then, taking gimmicks as his prop and abandoning movies for road shows. He'll probably run out onto the stage while the bands builds suspense with the theme from the movie "2001."

He'll just stand there, soaking up the adulation.

The word from Hollywood recently was that Elvis is getting tired of the screaming masses. But Wallace talked to Elvis in January and can assure his fans that boredom is not part of Elvis' tour. "That's just propaganda," Wallace said.

The fans keep coming to buy tickets, so Elvis keeps on traveling. His three-week tour of eight cities begins in Mobile and ends in Atlanta. All seats, with the exception of a few $5 bleacher types on Long Island, have been sold long ago.

After a brief rest, Elvis will head to the Las Vegas Hilton for shows from Aug. 6 to Sept. 3.

If fans here have the idea they might get a word with Elvis or his autograph, forget it.

He'll run in and out of Atlanta in his three private jets and will grant no interviews. His bodyguards will stop anyone trying to reach the entire floor of a hotel rented by Presley.

Elvis once said he did not like to taunt fans by appearing off the stage because he was afraid someone would get hurt.

The clamoring for those last 2.000 tickets may not cause injuries here, but nevertheless be prepared to duck when hands start grasping for Elvis "The Pelvis" Presley, the gyrating King of Rock and Roll.

Atlanta Constitution - Saturday, June 16, 1973
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/398779691/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

swagers
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by swagers »

i had a look at the video and i thought i saw a glimps of the peacock on his back
and he wore that in 74
so what is he wearing here and is this really 1973

drjohncarpenter

swagers on Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:30 am wrote:i had a look at the video and i thought i saw a glimps of the peacock on his back
and he wore that in 74
so what is he wearing here and is this really 1973

The films are from before and after the 6-30-1973 AS (Atlanta). Presley wore the fabulous "Thunderbird" suit for this performance.

Thunderbird suit.JPG
http://www.b-k-enterprises.com/store/thunderbirdsuit_info.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
argentelvis

Post by argentelvis »

Thank you buddy, you´re the most. Superb info.

robbie
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by robbie »

drjohncarpenter

Do you have any screen grabs of the lady getting man-handled by the security guy?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

robbie

Post by robbie »

robbie

Post by robbie »

drjohncarpenter

It would seem that the YouTube upload is taken from a 10th generation copy of your film.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

robbie

Post by robbie »

drjohncarpenter on Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:02 pm wrote:It would seem that the YouTube upload is taken from a 10th generation copy of your film.
yes looks bad, i don't have the reel only a transfer, you don't see that many outdoor shots like these so they are nice,

looking cool june 74 no date

robbie

Post by robbie »

Topic author
argentelvis

Post by argentelvis »

The sequences wearing the "Thunderbird suit" are leaving the Stouffer's Atlanta Inn. I had watched this footage somewhere. If anybody has this short video to post would be great!!!