Topic author
The fool
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Kid Galahad interview (1962 article)

Post by The fool »

Elvis´ Little Brothers
by Nancy Anderson
Movieland And TV Time, March 1962
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drjohncarpenter

Re: Kid Galahad interview (1962 article)

Post by drjohncarpenter »

As always, these shares have something to offer any dedicated fan, either rare photos or previously-unknown facts. Thank you for your latest gift to us here at FECC.

Some background on this article:

Nancy Anderson covered Elvis in Hollywood for years. Although really more a PR person than a journalist, at least she had access and could do these simple interviews. This time, circa November 1961, it seemed her mission was to convey a certain harmony between Elvis and his new extended family. His father had remarried in July, and with it came three small step-brothers. Elvis was not thrilled with the union, but did his best to accept it as time passed.

It's interesting to read he visited his fifth grade school teacher, Mrs. Oleta Grimes, at Lawhon Elementary School in Tupelo. Elvis completely describes the scene, and it is really a wonderful, touching little story. It was the same room and everything. His teacher was speechless at the surprise visit!

It was back in October 1945, when Elvis was ten and in her class, that Mrs. Grimes encouraged him to enter the talent contest at the annual "Children's Day" at the Mississippi-Alabama State Fair. All of the schools were let out for the day (October 3rd), and Elvis did as she suggested. Unlike what Miss Anderson claims, he did not win the contest, sponsored by local radio station WELO. Wearing overalls and corrective spectacles, Elvis sang "Old Shep" acapella, and won fifth place.

When did he pop by and visit? My guess is the beginning of the school year, in September-October 1961. I wonder if any of those Tupelo kids have ever written about the experience? They would be about 65 years old now!

Thanks again.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
The fool

Post by The fool »

The same visit was also mentioned in the Tupelo Mississippi View magazine published after Elvis´ death in 1977. I have posted several articles from this magazine here before. But it´s nice to know what Elvis had to say about this visit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drjohncarpenter

The fool on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:32 pm wrote:The same visit was also mentioned in the Tupelo Mississippi View magazine published after Elvis´ death in 1977. I have posted several articles from this magazine here before. But it´s nice to know what Elvis had to say about this visit.

Is this article from the Tupelo Mississippi View magazine?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
The fool

Post by The fool »

drjohncarpenter on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:27 am wrote: Is this article from the Tupelo Mississippi View magazine?
Yes. Here are a few more articles from that magazine:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=78819&p=1207700&hilit=tupelo#p1207700

drjohncarpenter

The fool on Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:17 pm wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:27 am wrote: Is this article from the Tupelo Mississippi View magazine?
Yes. Here are a few more articles from that magazine:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=78819&p=1207700&hilit=tupelo#p1207700
Oh, that's a wonderful topic, thanks for the reminder.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.