Hacked and Smacked

This section is to discuss forum related matters. Per guidelines, disciplinary actions taken against member(s) past and present will not be discussed.
We understand some discussion may become heated, but all we ask is that you remain civil at all times. This forum is meant to give you, the member, an outlet to discuss how we can improve the forum in many different ways. Therefore, it is to be used to come up with solutions - not cause more problems!

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic


User avatar

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Posts: 7441
Registered for: 8 years 2 months
Location: Playing in the street as the cold wind blows.
Has thanked: 812 times
Been thanked: 9755 times

Re: Hacked and Smacked

Post by Rob »

Jordan knows he's loved.

But just in case, we love you, Jordan.


Image
The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Image
Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

User avatar

Cryogenic
Posts: 6079
Registered for: 18 years 3 months
Has thanked: 816 times
Been thanked: 535 times

Re: Hacked and Smacked

Post by Cryogenic »

Rob wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:12 pm
fecc-mechanic wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:38 am
....my heart aches that we lost a month of content.
I don't care about anyone else's posts, but some of my best comments came during the last month.

Maybe now I'll be appreciated more around here.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob, you knows we loves ya!

Swedish wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:14 pm
The "search bar" is gone!
The "like" function is missing, too.

And yes, as far as the "search" function goes, that's rather annoying. It's hard to use FECC without it -- seems self-defeating, actually. However, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt here and assuming that it has been removed for a temporary spell. The search function, as I understand it, can produce quite a strain on a forum database, and/or server resources that database is held on, sometimes. And I think a forum database may have to be significantly re-indexed before its search function will always comply and start returning coherent results again.



User avatar

Walter Hale 4
Posts: 17641
Registered for: 18 years 1 month
Has thanked: 4859 times
Been thanked: 3713 times

Re: Hacked and Smacked

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:38 am
Turns out in the last 48 hours or so (presumably) Russian hackers have taken down servers worldwide. I have every 3hr backups, dailies, weeklies, and monthly backups spread across servers in various geolocations. They took out everything BUT the monthly backups. We are slowly but surely returning to live.
I apologize for the disruption in service, and I am doing everything in my power to resume normal services, my heart aches that we lost a month of content. But it is better than NO content.
Again, my apologies to all.
Jordan, greetings from AU :D

Great work getting this forum back. I'd like to know what these foreign hackers hoped to gain or achieved by doing this after all it's not as though FECC is a major website.

To all FECC members, yes it's really damned frustrated to loose one months worth of posts and topics but this is a reflection of the cyber world we're living in today. Jordan's done a magnificent job in restoring years of hard work and taking the necessary steps to ensure it does not happen again.



User avatar

emjel
Posts: 12117
Registered for: 16 years 9 months
Location: Liverpool
Has thanked: 1118 times
Been thanked: 4866 times

Re: Hacked and Smacked

Post by emjel »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:38 am
fecc-mechanic wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:38 am
Turns out in the last 48 hours or so (presumably) Russian hackers have taken down servers worldwide. I have every 3hr backups, dailies, weeklies, and monthly backups spread across servers in various geolocations. They took out everything BUT the monthly backups. We are slowly but surely returning to live.
I apologize for the disruption in service, and I am doing everything in my power to resume normal services, my heart aches that we lost a month of content. But it is better than NO content.
Again, my apologies to all.
Jordan, greetings from AU :D

Great work getting this forum back. I'd like to know what these foreign hackers hoped to gain or achieved by doing this after all it's not as though FECC is a major website.
It went further than just the FECC site who like a few other Elvis sites got caught up in a much much bigger event of hacking.


~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

User avatar

Walter Hale 4
Posts: 17641
Registered for: 18 years 1 month
Has thanked: 4859 times
Been thanked: 3713 times

Re: Hacked and Smacked

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

emjel wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:43 am
Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:38 am
fecc-mechanic wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:38 am
Turns out in the last 48 hours or so (presumably) Russian hackers have taken down servers worldwide. I have every 3hr backups, dailies, weeklies, and monthly backups spread across servers in various geolocations. They took out everything BUT the monthly backups. We are slowly but surely returning to live.
I apologize for the disruption in service, and I am doing everything in my power to resume normal services, my heart aches that we lost a month of content. But it is better than NO content.
Again, my apologies to all.
Jordan, greetings from AU :D

Great work getting this forum back. I'd like to know what these foreign hackers hoped to gain or achieved by doing this after all it's not as though FECC is a major website.
It went further than just the FECC site who like a few other Elvis sites got caught up in a much much bigger event of hacking.
And so what do they hoped and wanted to achieve from such an act?



User avatar

emjel
Posts: 12117
Registered for: 16 years 9 months
Location: Liverpool
Has thanked: 1118 times
Been thanked: 4866 times

Re: Hacked and Smacked

Post by emjel »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:48 am
emjel wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:43 am
Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:38 am
fecc-mechanic wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:38 am
Turns out in the last 48 hours or so (presumably) Russian hackers have taken down servers worldwide. I have every 3hr backups, dailies, weeklies, and monthly backups spread across servers in various geolocations. They took out everything BUT the monthly backups. We are slowly but surely returning to live.
I apologize for the disruption in service, and I am doing everything in my power to resume normal services, my heart aches that we lost a month of content. But it is better than NO content.
Again, my apologies to all.
Jordan, greetings from AU :D

Great work getting this forum back. I'd like to know what these foreign hackers hoped to gain or achieved by doing this after all it's not as though FECC is a major website.
It went further than just the FECC site who like a few other Elvis sites got caught up in a much much bigger event of hacking.
And so what do they hoped and wanted to achieve from such an act?
I guess Disruption to start with. One of our big supermarket chains was partially hit and could not process orders etc.


~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

User avatar

Troubleman
Posts: 1069
Registered for: 8 years 9 months
Location: Quebec, Canada
Has thanked: 168 times
Been thanked: 443 times

Re: Hacked and Smacked

Post by Troubleman »

That sucks big time! I was wondering if it was just me.

That explains why the search function is not working.

No need to apologize, these damn hackers do it everywhere.

Good luck in getting back to normal.

::rocks


Troubleman

User avatar

Hans
Posts: 1534
Registered for: 20 years 11 months
Has thanked: 391 times
Been thanked: 784 times

Re: Hacked and Smacked

Post by Hans »

I am just happy the forum is back. Thanks for all the work you do to keep it running Jordan!



User avatar

joekro1977
Posts: 1094
Registered for: 10 years 11 months
Location: Detroit, MI
Has thanked: 502 times
Been thanked: 597 times

Re: Hacked and Smacked

Post by joekro1977 »

Your efforts are appreciated - so sorry that it was necessary.


It's 800 miles from my house to Graceland, but I'm always up for making the trip!

User avatar

Alan_K
Posts: 1334
Registered for: 5 years 7 months
Has thanked: 242 times
Been thanked: 664 times

Re: Hacked and Smacked

Post by Alan_K »

Swedish wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:14 pm
The "search bar" is gone!Image
It was removed deliberately when the site was back up again and the option for "Your posts" (a subsduary of the Search option was missing along with others.
However the Search field is now back. Hurrah!
But the "Your posts" option is not. Boooo! (The link is listed in the drop down, but it gives this message when clicked, "Sorry, search could not be performed. More information about this failure has been logged in the error log."

Back soon Mr Techie Admin Man ?


15562days.com - A chronological profile of the most influential artist of the latter half of the 20th century, Elvis Presley.

User avatar

Cryogenic
Posts: 6079
Registered for: 18 years 3 months
Has thanked: 816 times
Been thanked: 535 times

Re: Hacked and Smacked

Post by Cryogenic »

Alan_K wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:53 pm
Swedish wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:14 pm
The "search bar" is gone!Image
It was removed deliberately when the site was back up again and the option for "Your posts" (a subsduary of the Search option was missing along with others.
However the Search field is now back. Hurrah!
But the "Your posts" option is not. Boooo! (The link is listed in the drop down, but it gives this message when clicked, "Sorry, search could not be performed. More information about this failure has been logged in the error log."

Back soon Mr Techie Admin Man ?
Actually, neither has yet been restored. This is the message presently returned when you try and search a member's posts or run a forum search:

Sorry, search could not be performed. More information about this failure has been logged in the error log.

I blame @Rob. Somehow, I'm sure this is all his fault.



User avatar

Alan_K
Posts: 1334
Registered for: 5 years 7 months
Has thanked: 242 times
Been thanked: 664 times

Re: Hacked and Smacked

Post by Alan_K »

Cryogenic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:55 am
I blame @Rob. Somehow, I'm sure this is all his fault.
On dear, not again.

Also, the Search has disappeared again in both guises. I think that's the main man doing his jiggery pokery in the FECC maintenance broom cupboard where they keep the breakers or he's doing the turning it off and then turning it on again fix


15562days.com - A chronological profile of the most influential artist of the latter half of the 20th century, Elvis Presley.

User avatar

Cryogenic
Posts: 6079
Registered for: 18 years 3 months
Has thanked: 816 times
Been thanked: 535 times

Re: Hacked and Smacked

Post by Cryogenic »

Alan_K wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:03 am
Cryogenic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:55 am
I blame @Rob. Somehow, I'm sure this is all his fault.
On dear, not again.
As Mark Twain said whilst browsing the Internet one day, "History doesn't repeat, but it often Robs."
Also, the Search has disappeared again in both guises. I think that's the main man doing his jiggery pokery in the FECC maintenance broom cupboard where they keep the breakers or he's doing the turning it off and then turning it on again fix
Same with the "like" button -- now you see it, now you don't. Could also be a sign we've slipped into the Twilight Zone, where there both is and isn't a search function, and it both definitely is and definitely isn't Rob's fault.



User avatar

BrianTCB
Posts: 7157
Registered for: 13 years 5 months
Has thanked: 1327 times
Been thanked: 2271 times
Age: 44

Re: Hacked and Smacked

Post by BrianTCB »

Cryogenic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:10 am
Alan_K wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:03 am
Cryogenic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:55 am
I blame @Rob. Somehow, I'm sure this is all his fault.
On dear, not again.
As Mark Twain said whilst browsing the Internet one day, "History doesn't repeat, but it often Robs."
Also, the Search has disappeared again in both guises. I think that's the main man doing his jiggery pokery in the FECC maintenance broom cupboard where they keep the breakers or he's doing the turning it off and then turning it on again fix
Same with the "like" button -- now you see it, now you don't. Could also be a sign we've slipped into the Twilight Zone, where there both is and isn't a search function, and it both definitely is and definitely isn't Rob's fault.
Interesting observation, Cryogenic. I am seeing the same thing.

I'm still gonna blame Rob, though. :wink:



User avatar

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Posts: 6676
Registered for: 21 years 1 month
Location: Memphis, TN
Mood:
Has thanked: 907 times
Been thanked: 496 times
Age: 41

Re: Hacked and Smacked

Post by fecc-mechanic »

The main functionality has returned. Search (next up) is still a work in progress. Then everything else will fall into place.


All the best from Mempihs
Jordan

ImageImage

fa-boltfa-boltPlease send all tech support requests to: tech@elvicities.comfa-boltfa-bolt

Make sure to visit my friends at the EAP society! It's a movement! For all generations of fans! And it's worth supporting!!!

User avatar

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Posts: 6676
Registered for: 21 years 1 month
Location: Memphis, TN
Mood:
Has thanked: 907 times
Been thanked: 496 times
Age: 41

Re: Hacked and Smacked

Post by fecc-mechanic »

This is due to us using a fork of sphinx called mantacore. To make searches and crawls happen in milliseconds, incrementally. (Going back to hang out with the nerds now),


All the best from Mempihs
Jordan

ImageImage

fa-boltfa-boltPlease send all tech support requests to: tech@elvicities.comfa-boltfa-bolt

Make sure to visit my friends at the EAP society! It's a movement! For all generations of fans! And it's worth supporting!!!

User avatar

Cryogenic
Posts: 6079
Registered for: 18 years 3 months
Has thanked: 816 times
Been thanked: 535 times

Re: Hacked and Smacked

Post by Cryogenic »

BrianTCB wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:34 am
Cryogenic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:10 am
Alan_K wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:03 am
Cryogenic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:55 am
I blame @Rob. Somehow, I'm sure this is all his fault.
On dear, not again.
As Mark Twain said whilst browsing the Internet one day, "History doesn't repeat, but it often Robs."
Also, the Search has disappeared again in both guises. I think that's the main man doing his jiggery pokery in the FECC maintenance broom cupboard where they keep the breakers or he's doing the turning it off and then turning it on again fix
Same with the "like" button -- now you see it, now you don't. Could also be a sign we've slipped into the Twilight Zone, where there both is and isn't a search function, and it both definitely is and definitely isn't Rob's fault.
Interesting observation, Cryogenic. I am seeing the same thing.

I'm still gonna blame Rob, though. :wink:
It'll all be back to normally, eventually. FECC, not Rob. Rob'll never be normal.

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:23 am
The main functionality has returned. Search (next up) is still a work in progress. Then everything else will fall into place.
Good to hear. :)

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:28 am
This is due to us using a fork of sphinx called mantacore. To make searches and crawls happen in milliseconds, incrementally. (Going back to hang out with the nerds now),
"A fork of sphinx called mantacore".

Well, then, here's a song you might like:

Froggy went a-courtin' and he did ride, a-hu
Froggy went a-courtin' and he did ride, a-hu
Froggy went a-courtin' and he did ride
He had a nick-nack-nack by his side, a-hu, a-hu, a-hu



User avatar

thommesen
Posts: 522
Registered for: 16 years 5 months
Has thanked: 625 times
Been thanked: 290 times

Re: Hacked and Smacked

Post by thommesen »

Thank you Jordan. I’m so pleased FECC is back.
Thank you ::rocks



User avatar

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Posts: 7441
Registered for: 8 years 2 months
Location: Playing in the street as the cold wind blows.
Has thanked: 812 times
Been thanked: 9755 times

Re: Hacked and Smacked

Post by Rob »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:23 am
The main functionality has returned. Search (next up) is still a work in progress. Then everything else will fall into place.
Thank you, Jordan.

I get blamed for everything around here.


Image
The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Image
Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

User avatar

Cryogenic
Posts: 6079
Registered for: 18 years 3 months
Has thanked: 816 times
Been thanked: 535 times

Re: Hacked and Smacked

Post by Cryogenic »

Rob wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:49 pm
fecc-mechanic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:23 am
The main functionality has returned. Search (next up) is still a work in progress. Then everything else will fall into place.
Thank you, Jordan.

I get blamed for everything around here.
I

LIKE

ROB

:mrgreen:



User avatar

BrianTCB
Posts: 7157
Registered for: 13 years 5 months
Has thanked: 1327 times
Been thanked: 2271 times
Age: 44

Re: Hacked and Smacked

Post by BrianTCB »

Cryogenic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:33 pm
Rob wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:49 pm
fecc-mechanic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:23 am
The main functionality has returned. Search (next up) is still a work in progress. Then everything else will fall into place.
Thank you, Jordan.

I get blamed for everything around here.
I

LIKE

ROB

:mrgreen:

SO

DO

I.
:mrgreen:



User avatar

Cryogenic
Posts: 6079
Registered for: 18 years 3 months
Has thanked: 816 times
Been thanked: 535 times

Re: Hacked and Smacked

Post by Cryogenic »

BrianTCB wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:38 pm
Cryogenic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:33 pm
Rob wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:49 pm
fecc-mechanic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:23 am
The main functionality has returned. Search (next up) is still a work in progress. Then everything else will fall into place.
Thank you, Jordan.

I get blamed for everything around here.
I

LIKE

ROB

:mrgreen:

SO

DO

I.
:mrgreen:
"Like". :)

(Since the "like" button isn't currently available -- in this thread, anyway).



User avatar

Vegas70
Posts: 312
Registered for: 14 years 1 month
Location: Europe
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 81 times

Re: Hacked and Smacked

Post by Vegas70 »

It seems that the search function is gone.



User avatar

drjohncarpenter
Posts: 107690
Registered for: 21 years 1 month
Location: United States of America
Has thanked: 11859 times
Been thanked: 34647 times
Age: 89

Re: Hacked and Smacked

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Rob wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:49 pm
fecc-mechanic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:23 am
The main functionality has returned. Search (next up) is still a work in progress. Then everything else will fall into place.


Thank you, Jordan.

I get blamed for everything around here.



I'd like to have a word.


.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

User avatar

BrianTCB
Posts: 7157
Registered for: 13 years 5 months
Has thanked: 1327 times
Been thanked: 2271 times
Age: 44

Re: Hacked and Smacked

Post by BrianTCB »

Cryogenic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:40 pm
BrianTCB wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:38 pm
Cryogenic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:33 pm
Rob wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:49 pm
fecc-mechanic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:23 am
The main functionality has returned. Search (next up) is still a work in progress. Then everything else will fall into place.
Thank you, Jordan.

I get blamed for everything around here.
I

LIKE

ROB

:mrgreen:

SO

DO

I.
:mrgreen:
"Like". :)

(Since the "like" button isn't currently available -- in this thread, anyway).
Indeed. Here is one more "Like" for you!!

:D