Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years

Martha Burks with Elvis at Audubon Drive, Memphis

Post by MikeFromHolland »

Lots of nice Elvis related memories on this site:
https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/news/20170813/readers-share-memories-of-elvis-king-of-rock-n-roll

183BB231-AE98-46EF-9B3B-F50B338A68BA.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Martha Burks with Elvis at Audubon Drive, Memphis

Post by drjohncarpenter »

MikeFromHolland wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:27 pm

Lots of nice Elvis related memories on this site:
https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/news/20170813/readers-share-memories-of-elvis-king-of-rock-n-roll

Neat candid, the photo may be cropped on the right side. I don't think we see Martha Burks though.

The linked article reads:

Pink Cadillac

Martha Burks of Birmingham remembers Elvis not from Graceland, but from that Audubon Drive Memphis home.

"My high school band went to Memphis to march in the Cotton Carnival Parade and my parents took me by his house," she wrote. "Two more girls were there and we knocked on his door and Elvis came out and preened and posed with us, around and in his new pink Cadillac.

"He sure was pretty. I still have eight pictures made with him that day, and also a Memphis parking ticket we had gotten that morning, which he signed."

The pink Cadillac wasn't exactly new, it'd been around for a while. And Bob Neal’s "Cotton Pickin’ Jamboree" on May 15th in Memphis saw Elvis headlining over Hank Snow and others, so he wouldn't be back home until late. Plus he had two shows the next day in Little Rock, Arkansas.

But if Martha visited, the photo we have doesn't seem like a match. The article and the photo appear far apart from each other on the web page. There's nothing actually linking them together. Elvis' appearance is very much like several candids taken when he was home in July on a vacation break. I would place it there, noting it's him meeting some other fans.

'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

drjohncarpenter

Here's another mid-July 1956 shot where Elvis seems to be wearing a similar outfit while greeting fans at 1034 Audubon.

'

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

peacock74
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by peacock74 »

Wow! The last one really made my week! Thank you so much for the contribution Doc :D

drjohncarpenter

peacock74 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:00 pm
Wow! The last one really made my week! Thank you so much for the contribution Doc :D

Always a pleasure to share moments from the fabulous career of the kid from Tupelo.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.