Topic author
Matt Ashton
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Norfolk VA July 20th 1975

Post by Matt Ashton »

11PC1.jpg
5PC1.jpg
3PC1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes."

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 8 months
Mood:

Re: Norfolk VA July 20th 1975

Post by rlj4ep »

Matt Ashton wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:22 pm
ImageImageImage
Thanks Matt for these pics. Aren't these pictures from the afternoon show in Norfolk?

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

rlj4ep wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:44 am
Thanks Matt for these pics. Aren't these pictures from the afternoon show in Norfolk?

They do appear to be the afternoon gig that day.

The evening set would be a foreshadowing of the next two years.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

colobone
Registered for: 1 year 2 months

Post by colobone »

thank you for pics

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:52 am
rlj4ep wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:44 am

I have not heard any recording of that event show, but I understand that Elvis was rude on stage to some of the Sweet's and Kathy Westmoreland. Is that the show Kathy walked off the stage?
I thought I had read somewhere that before that show Joe Esposito told Elvis about a love interest Kathy had with someone else and he became very angry about that. Is there any truth to that story?

drjohncarpenter

rlj4ep wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:37 pm
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I have not heard any recording of that event show, but I understand that Elvis was rude on stage to some of the Sweet's and Kathy Westmoreland. Is that the show Kathy walked off the stage?
I thought I had read somewhere that before that show Joe Esposito told Elvis about a love interest Kathy had with someone else and he became very angry about that. Is there any truth to that story?

It was a strange time. Just a day after the memorable shows on July 19th in Uniondale, New York, Elvis began to go off the rails.

The next day, after an afternoon set with the latest in a series of inappropriate introductions towards soprano Kathy Westmoreland, assistant Joe Esposito delivered a message to Presley from management (Tom Diskin) about cutting out derogatory stage comments.

Bad idea.

That evening, he went postal during the introductions, made more inappropriate comments to the Sweet Inspirations and Westmoreland, and all of them left the stage, except for Myrna Smith. His remarks, which some interpreted as racist, also made the national newswire.

After the tour finished up a few days later, there'd be only a few more shows until December in Las Vegas, and 16 days at Baptist Memorial in Memphis starting August 21, due to "a problem with fatigue."

A foreshadowing of things to come.

Ironically, Elvis would never again deliver as exciting a show on tour as that July 1975 event.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:03 pm
rlj4ep wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:37 pm
drjohncarpenter wrote:

It was a strange time. Just a day after the memorable shows on July 19th in Uniondale, New York, Elvis began to go off the rails.

The next day, after an afternoon set with the latest in a series of inappropriate introductions towards soprano Kathy Westmoreland, assistant Joe Esposito delivered a message to Presley from management (Tom Diskin) about cutting out derogatory stage comments.

Bad idea.

That evening, he went postal during the introductions, made more inappropriate comments to the Sweet Inspirations and Westmoreland, and all of them left the stage, except for Myrna Smith. His remarks, which some interpreted as racist, also made the national newswire.

After the tour finished up a few days later, there'd be only a few more shows until December in Las Vegas, and 16 days at Baptist Memorial in Memphis starting August 21, due to "a problem with fatigue."

A foreshadowing of things to come.

Ironically, Elvis would never again deliver as exciting a show on tour as that July 1975 event.
Thanks very much for the insight to that event. It's interesting, if not alarming, that Elvis changed so suddenly with regard to the Sweet Inspirations and Kathy. There are so many shows we've heard, earlier than this of course, where Elvis is demonstrating amazing respect for both.
Fortunately for Elvis both came back to appear with him and support him. It would be interesting to read any comments which may have been offered by the fans in attendance that evening. While I am sure it reached the news media to some extent, here in the Northeast where I was living there was no mention of it. The only reason I know that is my Dad watched the evening news with dinner every night and I looked at the newspaper everday cutting out and saving anything Elvis. So sad on many levels....., Thank you again for the insight.....

drjohncarpenter

More on a bad day for Elvis:

Tom Diskin talked Joe Esposito into telling Elvis ( just before he went on stage ) to STOP bad mouthing Kathy during her intro- which fired Elvis right up like a red flag to a bull! Straight after the first song Elvis decided to mention what it was like having 11,000 fans breathing on him-he said he smelt “ Garlic and Green Onions and that the Sweet Inspirations had been eating Catfish ”. Then the show continues normally with a STRONG version of Hound Dog then Elvis remarks adding ‘ This show maybe ‘ old hat’ to you, but this audience haven’t seen it before ’ ‘ Stamps, Sweets, if you don’t look up I’m going to kick your ass ’.The Wonder of You and Polk Salad Annie are well sung then . During the Intros Kathy at first gets a more ‘ normal ’ intro first with Elvis saying “ The little girl with the high voice singing is from Los Angeles her name is Kathy Westmoreland ”…then he adds the ‘ sting ’ “ If you don’t like the way I introduce you and can’t take it, then get off the pot! ”.

During this show the Sweet Inspirations and Kathy Westmoreland walked off because these comments by Elvis towards them. Only Myrna Smith remained on stage to which Elvis took off one of his rings and gave it to her as a gesture-at first she didn’t accept it but then did eventually. Oddly enough to a ‘ casual ’ listener to this Evening show you may be almost unaware that anything is going on indeed many fans may have thought it was just a part of the show?!. Tom Diskin talked the Sweets into performing at the next show in Greensboro but Kathy Westmoreland missed this show.

July 1975- part two G. McDonnell
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/july75downunder-2.html

Another look:
snopes.com: Elvis Presley Catfish Remark
http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/presley3.asp

And one more view:

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

And contrary to what some claim today, the statements made by Elvis on that Sunday evening about "catfish" and getting "off the pot" were noticed by the media and explicitly reported the VERY NEXT DAY nationally, including Memphis.

Jet magazine, a famous Black-oriented publication, also reported on the story in its August 14th issue.

'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Rob »

This is the show in which the incident occurred.

Not fun to listen to.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

drjohncarpenter

He has that "College Park" look in his eyes. Not good.

Note the policeman's badge on his chest. Apparently a gift before going on. It did not help.

Rob wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:39 pm

Not fun to listen to.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:43 am
He has that "College Park" look in his eyes. Not good.

Note the policeman's badge on his chest. Apparently a gift before going on. It did not help.

Rob wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:39 pm

Not fun to listen to.
Wow..., that's all I can say. A sad moment indeed....,
Thanks John for the information and thanks Rob for the mention of the CD which recorded that show.