Moderators: FECC-Moderator, Moderator5, Moderator3, Site Mechanic

keninlincs
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Mood:

Re: last movie you watched

Post by keninlincs »

Rob wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:04 pm

I hadn't seen this in years. I remember when this was released and people were actually scared to go into the water at many beaches in the summer of '75. I also remember people screaming in the theater.
Still a great movie 46 years later!
-instagram kenh1964

pmp
Registered for: 2 years 1 month

Post by pmp »

The blu ray of The House of the Long Shadows arrived this morning. I loved that film as a young teenager. I can't think how many times I watched it back then. I had a quick look at the blu ray tonight and the quality is rather disappointing. This is the German edition, but apparently the Kino one doesn't exactly get glowing reviews either from blu-ray.com. So, I'm assuming they are likely the same print and transfer. The German disc is certainly the same print as the DVD (which was also disappointing), but anyway, will get to watch it properly tomorrow.

Tonight, I ploughed on with Love Victor, which is on Disneyplus, and is a TV series that takes Love Simon as its starting point. Nick Robinson acts as producer here, and it's Simon (Robinson) who Victor communicates with via email when he starts at the same school and begins to come to terms with his sexuality. There was quite a furore within the gay community when Disney passed the series to Hulu in the States, but the decision was the right one, I think. The main section of the Disney streaming service probably isn't the best place for a series like this which deals with sexual situations, infidelity, etc. They would have got away with it on Disney for the first season, but it wouldn't have been able to grow. And it reminds me a little of the situation with The Wonder Years, where the network wanted more series but refused to allow it to move into a more adult direction as Kevin got older. And so it ended. In the UK, Love Victor is on Disneyplus.

The series itself is pleasant enough, but it lacks a narrative drive - partly because it doesn't quite know what its focus is. Is it Victor's coming out? Or the problems with his parent's marriage? Or the quirky kid in the flat upstairs who has the hots for Victor's girlfriend's friend? Or the disintegration of the gay relationship of the guy who works at the coffee shop? And so it goes on. With only 30 minute episodes (at most), this often feels like it doesn't have time to deliver on all these plotlines. That said, it's very charming, and Michael Cimino is perfect for the role of Victor, and it's nice to see that the parts are generally played by people not too far removed from the age they are playing. The second series drops next week, and so it will be interesting to see in what direction it continues, and whether it can really find its feet.
Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

InheritTheWind
Registered for: 3 years 8 months

Post by InheritTheWind »

Rob wrote:

I hadn't seen this in years. I remember when this was released and people were actually scared to go into the water at many beaches in the summer of '75. I also remember people screaming in the theater.
I’ll never forget when my brother took me to see this when I was a little kid in 1975. I not only remember the screaming throughout the theater, I also remember that the terrified person behind me kicked the back of my chair during the scene where fisherman Ben Gardner’s mutilated head suddenly appears in the sunken boat that Matt Hooper was investigating. I was terrified throughout the movie to the point where I felt sick. But the moment it was over I wanted to see it again and again. It is easily in my top five favorite films of all time.

When watching the film now it seems crazy that we were all so terrified because we’re all so jaded now, but the movie still holds up as great filmmaking. Brilliant performances by Roy Scheider as Martin Brody and especially Robert Shaw as Quint. As a child I was thankful for Richard Dreyfuss’s performance as Matt Hooper because he served as much needed comedy relief. This film had a huge impact on me and was one of the reasons I became such a movie fan.

ForeverElvis
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by ForeverElvis »

InheritTheWind wrote:
Rob wrote:

I’ll never forget when my brother took me to see this when I was a little kid in 1975. I not only remember the screaming throughout the theater, I also remember that the terrified person behind me kicked the back of my chair during the scene where fisherman Ben Gardner’s mutilated head suddenly appears in the sunken boat that Matt Hooper was investigating. I was terrified throughout the movie to the point where I felt sick. But the moment it was over I wanted to see it again and again. It is easily in my top five favorite films of all time.

When watching the film now it seems crazy that we were all so terrified because we’re all so jaded now, but the movie still holds up as great filmmaking. Brilliant performances by Roy Scheider as Martin Brody and especially Robert Shaw as Quint. As a child I was thankful for Richard Dreyfuss’s performance as Matt Hooper because he served as much needed comedy relief. This film had a huge impact on me and was one of the reasons I became such a movie fan.

My older brother took me, against my parents wishes. I wouldn’t go to the beach, GOD forbid the water, the whole summer.
Always Elvis
Anthony

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

My copy of this new BluRay arrived this week. It contains the 1976 theatrical version as well as the 1978 TV edition with 46 additional minutes. Both in 2.35:1.

A 1970’s weekend coming up!
I saw this in 1976 in the theatre, I was 12. Doesn’t replace the original 1933 film but this remake is not as bad as its reputation- it’s actually quite good.
Always Elvis
Anthony

Greystoke
Registered for: 6 years 6 months

Post by Greystoke »

I had a good time revisiting the Phantasm series on Friday night -- certainly the first two, which are streets ahead of parts three to five. I also revisted The Reptile and The Devil Rides Out a few days ago. The latter is especially good, and The Reptile is solid stuff from Hammer, too. Although it's a familiar story with a different creature, or curse.

I also watched Mega Time Squad, Raya and the Last Dragon, and The New Mutants for the first time this weekend.

I think Shane might have mentioned watching The New Mutants a few weeks ago, and here, still in the same world as populated by the X-Men, this is quite a banal YA tale that's well cast, but not well-written or directed with any real flavour. Yet there's kernels of something better here, as five young mutants are held in a secure facility where they are being watched and tested.

It's quite small scale and intimate, and is seen from the perspective of Blu Hunt’s Dani Moonstar, a young Native American mutant, whose home was destroyed by an unseen force. And now, orphaned and alone, she has to contend with an unfriendly environment, and hostility from the likes of Anya Taylor Joy’s Illyana Rasputin. But she also finds a kindred spirit and a love interest in the timid Rahne Sinclair, played by Maise Williams.

There's certainly shades of The Breakfast Club and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest here, but for a movie that wants to probe deeper into the characters on screen, it's quite superficial in many respects. Whilst the facility is overseen by a single doctor, played by Alice Braga. Who is hardly a formidable presence, despite the shields and lockdown procedures. But good ideas and some great visual effects amount to a film that isn't as involving or as exciting as it could have been under surer direction. Especially in exploring the horror elements, cultural themes and religious aspects that are only touched on.

Conversely, Raya and the Last Dragon, is a wonderful film that fully realises almost everything intended of a story set in an ancient Chinese wasteland, where greed and fear have ravaged the land. Warring factions, who have coveted the last remnants of dragon magic, held by a king who would rather talk and share a meal, than fight, soon finds his good intentions backfiring as the magic gem is broken, stolen, and scattered across the land.

Young Raya, who sees her father fall and turn to stone, grows up and goes on a quest to find and unite the pieces of a magic gem that's scattered in regions named Claw, Fang, Tail, etc. Parts of a dragon. The writing is just great, as is the visual design of a world that's quite striking, although the titular Last Dragon, voiced brilliantly by Akwafina, is more comical than ferocious.

Kelly Marie-Tran is equally good as the voice of Raya, in a film that I found quite magical. Great score, too, and a hints of a romance between princesses that could be built on in a sequel. An exciting, often touching film, and one with some brave and bold ideas. Ideas that make sense. I loved it.

Rob
Registered for: 5 years 3 months

Post by Rob »

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Rob wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:16 pm
I've been hovering around watching Life again for the past few weeks. Maybe over the next few days or at the weekend.

pmp

Post by pmp »

I watched The House of Fear last night, a Rathbone Holmes outing that doesn't do a great deal to stop people working out the rather obvious ending. The first reel looks decidedly murky on blu ray, but the rest looks very good.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I haven't seen this since it aired. But it was uploaded to YouTube yesterday. I've often found Siskel a bit disagreeable, but it's always good to hear or read Ebert’s comments, although I can't say that I always agree with him. But I do like and prefer his approach -- Siskel actually spends time talking about Streisand’s nose and what he would prefer to look at.

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

Greystoke wrote:I haven't seen this since it aired. But it was uploaded to YouTube yesterday. I've often found Siskel a bit disagreeable, but it's always good to hear or read Ebert’s comments, although I can't say that I always agree with him. But I do like and prefer his approach -- Siskel actually spends time talking about Streisand’s nose and what he would prefer to look at.

Happily there are tons of Siskel and Ebert clips and full shows on YouTube. I watched their show every week from the 80’s until it’s cancellation after both their deaths, I rarely missed an episode.

I often agreed with Ebert more than Siskel and often disagreed with both. But, my film education came from them having watched them from the age of 16.

Once I had my drivers license my friends and I would often see a film once a week. I was lucky to rarely choose a piece of crap, having learned to recognize potential turkeys with Siskel and Ebert’s guidance. This was invaluable in the pre-home video days as it really pissed us off to walk out of a bad film having wasted our time and money.

I really miss those guys.

Nowadays, with the internet everyone’s a critic, not an informed critic and certainly not a trained writer with a Pulitzer on their shelf.
Always Elvis
Anthony

pmp

Post by pmp »

Tonight I got around to The House of the Long Shadows, which arrived at the weekend. The blu ray certainly isn't the best I've ever seen, but a bit better than my first impressions a few days ago.

The movie is a comedy horror based on George M. Cohan's play "Seven Keys to Baldpate" which had already been filmed a whopping six times before during the period 1916-1945! This 1983 edition is the last official adaptation of a Cohan play to date. It tells the story of a writer who takes a bet that he can't write a novel within 24 hours. He goes off to deepest darkest Wales for the job, but once he gets to Baldpate Manor, all kinds of strange happenings occur. I loved this as a kid, but watching it now it is certainly a case of being more hammy than Hammer. But there is much to enjoy in this Pete Walker-directed gothic nonsense, not least a wonderful ensemble cast that includes Vincent Price, John Carradine, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing and Richard Todd. Desi Arnaz Jr is the likeable lead. But there are also some awful performances by Julie Peasgood and Louise English. REALLY awful in the case of the latter. It is great to see the four great horror stars all on screen at the same time, although Vincent Price seems most at home in this kind of send-up. It's also the last time that Cushing and Lee worked together. The story is totally silly, but it's still darned good fun.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Having finished watch Love Victor on Disney, I've turned to something far less innocent, Love and Anarchy, a Swedish series on Netflix. A woman starts her new job in a publishing company, and is caught in a compromising position on her first day by a young employee, taking a photo of the incident. He tells her to take him to lunch in order for him to wipe the photo. At the lunch she steals his phone, and she gives him a forfeit to complete before he gets his phone back, and so it begins - and gets out of hand rather quickly. It's not for the prudish, that's for sure, but it is rather fun (so far, at least), and reminds me a little of the French film Love Me If You Dare.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Tonight I saw the blu ray of The Great Caruso, which was recently issued by Warner Archive. The upgrade on previous versions is significant, and the film looks wonderful. Mario Lanza plays Caruso in what is a very fictionalised account of his life story. Richard Thorpe (Jailhouse Rock, Fun in Acapulco) directs. Lanza was rarely as good as he is here. He is in wonderful voice throughout, and this film and the later Serenade (1956) sees him singing far more serious opera than in his other movies. In both films, he proves himself to be a good actor, too, clearly having improved from his rather naive performance in That Midnight Kiss just two years earlier. Highly entertaining, even if it isn't highly accurate!

MrMisery
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by MrMisery »

pmp wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:06 pm
Tonight I saw the blu ray of The Great Caruso, which was recently issued by Warner Archive. The upgrade on previous versions is significant, and the film looks wonderful. Mario Lanza plays Caruso in what is a very fictionalised account of his life story. Richard Thorpe (Jailhouse Rock, Fun in Acapulco) directs. Lanza was rarely as good as he is here. He is in wonderful voice throughout, and this film and the later Serenade (1956) sees him singing far more serious opera than in his other movies. In both films, he proves himself to be a good actor, too, clearly having improved from his rather naive performance in That Midnight Kiss just two years earlier. Highly entertaining, even if it isn't highly accurate!
What a coincidence, I mentioned that movie not long ago here. Or did I inspired you, to watch it? :wink: This was probably the first music biopic I've ever seen. It made a great impression on me as a child (seen it only once about 35 years ago and I still remember it today!) and it certainly contributed to the fact that I had/have no reservations about operas and classical music. I would like to watch it again (with German dubbing), but apparently there is still no proper DVD/BR release yet.
Once and for all: Sorry for my bad english :wink:

pmp

Post by pmp »

MrMisery wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:37 pm
pmp wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:06 pm
What a coincidence, I mentioned that movie not long ago here. Or did I inspired you, to watch it? :wink: This was probably the first music biopic I've ever seen. It made a great impression on me as a child (seen it only once about 35 years ago and I still remember it today!) and it certainly contributed to the fact that I had/have no reservations about operas and classical music. I would like to watch it again (with German dubbing), but apparently there is still no proper DVD/BR release yet.
No, I had it marked to buy when it was mentioned it was being released, but took me a while to find a copy. The Warner Archive blu ray out in America is region free, but obviously no German dubbing or subs.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Loki started streaming on Disney + today -- the latest MCU series on this platform, and whilst it's set after Avengers: Endgame, it's also a bridge towards the forthcoming Eternals movie and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. Tom Hiddleston returns as Loki, with Kate Herron directing a series created and written by Michael Waldron, who is also the writer on the next and aforementioned Doctor Strange movie.

None of this will mean anything to anyone that isn't interested in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, of course, where Loki certainly was a favourite. Here's the problem, though -- there's a long history of very good films and a terrific story throughout this series of films. Films and characters that have been very popular and very successful. But here, with the timeline splitting and time travel coming into play, the presence of any jeopardy becomes precarious when characters can go back and change things. Also, there's the looming spectre of fan service in spite of telling a story, and here, there's a lot of harking back to the previous movies, including scenes lifted from those movies, which Loki watches like a reaction video.

That's the negative. Mostly. The positive, is that Hiddleston brings all of the charm and charisma he had in this role, back quite completely. Loki has broken the timeline, which, like any time travel film or series, means consequences, and here, there's a mysterious, bureaucratic organisation called the Time Variance Authority, which interjects and brings the God of Mischief to trial.

This, I liked, and there's certainly a Kafkaesque quality to their headquarters, whilst I was reminded of Orson Welles’ The Trial in the low camera angles, looming ceilings, and retro art direction. And there's certainly a sixties sensibility here, too -- including a nice animation that serves as exposition.

Here, Loki meets Morbius, a member of this organisation who seems to have a degree of authority. Owen Wilson fills this role and is very well cast in the way he provides a soothing, but canny presence opposite Loki’s guile and conniving ways. But also his frustration at what's going on.

Occasionally, there's little kernels of the Wilson persona that is so endearing, whilst Gugu Mbatha-Raw is effective in a small role as the judge overseeing Loki’s trial, until Morbius halts proceedings. I hope there's more from Gugu as the series progresses, and whilst some of the writing misses the mark in stating the obvious, much like zombie movies, time travel stories also play by certain rules. This said, the prospect of the multiverse has been looming over the MCU for some time, and I do like what it promises to reveal. Loki is off to a fairly good start.

pmp

Post by pmp »

I finished up watching the Swedish series Love and Anarchy on Netflix tonight. The 8 thirty minute episodes are about two employees of a book publishing company that begin a game of dare that ultimately put their private lives and the company itself into jeopardy. It's refreshingly quirky and great fun. Season 2 has been commissioned.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Nice article about the Ellie Norwood Holmes series being restored.

https://www.bfi.org.uk/news/silent-sherlock-holmes-series-restoration

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Rob wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:16 pm
Without a doubt my favourite Eddie Murphy film!
-instagram kenh1964

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Greystoke wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:27 pm
I had a good time revisiting the Phantasm series on Friday night -- certainly the first two, which are streets ahead of parts three to five. I also revisted The Reptile and The Devil Rides Out a few days ago. The latter is especially good, and The Reptile is solid stuff from Hammer, too. Although it's a familiar story with a different creature, or curse.

IMust get to watch The devil rides out and Phantasm again sometime next week!
-instagram kenh1964

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Last night i watched The latest Guy Ritchie film 'The wrath of man with" Jason Statham às his usual character,quite enetertaing but notheing earth shattering
-instagram kenh1964

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I watched Lost Girls & Love Hotels this afternoon, which is a curio in some ways, although it falls totally flat and quite vapid in too many other areas. With Alexandria Daddario starring as a girl in Tokyo who, for reasons that aren't really mined, randomly picks up strange men and has kinky sex with them in Love Hotels. She has a troubled past, and likes to be dominated. She has two friends, Andrew Rothnay’s Liam, a Scot. And Clarice Van Houton in a totally wasted role as Ines.

Her day job is as an English language teacher, or a teacher of pronunciation, for trainee air hostesses -- although she's squandering this in a haze of hangovers and being late for work. But her students look up to her. She dresses like a rock star. Whilst her mentor, the female boss of this agency, gives her every chance she can.

Daddario, who can be quite good, is fine here, although she doesn't play drunk convincingly, but does convey a sadness and the forlorn nature of a character that badly needed more on the page. Especially when she falls for a yakuza in quite an amusing meet cute, where he sees her looking at the images of sexual positions in a book on Hokusai -- he asks if she likes Hokusai, she says it looks fun.

They strike up a romance, although why she falls for him, again, isn't really probed, but it works to some extent. She's a fish out of water. He's a shark. But he treats her tenderly, even lambasting a local bar into silence when she's out of the room after a drunken patron bumps into her. When she returns, she knows something has changed, but a grand and heartfelt gesture later on, doesn't connect and comes at the expense of her job.

It doesn't know where to go in a final act that feels very contrived, and whilst I liked the location work and appreciated how tasteful the sex scenes are, with no leering at Daddario, ultimately, what does have some promise is just too hollow.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Greystoke wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:03 pm
Nice article about the Ellie Norwood Holmes series being restored.

https://www.bfi.org.uk/news/silent-sherlock-holmes-series-restoration
Yes, let's just hope that we actually get to see the results of these restorations, unlike the situation with the Hitchcock silents, of which you can only access The Lodger (blu ray) and Downhill (BFI player).

Tonight I saw Kiss of the Vampire, a rather odd Hammer effort that is perfectly decent for the first hour before it ups the ante and goes in a somewhat more unexpected direction for around twenty minutes, and then has one of the silliest finales I have seen for a very long time.

pmp

Post by pmp »

The Christie Estate have announced a new adaptation of Agatha Christie's Why Didn't They Ask Evans has started production this week. It's been adapted twice before, in 1979 and then about a dozen years ago (with Miss Marple shoehorned in, but she's not in the book). Hugh Laurie appears in the new version and has also written the adaptation and is directing - it is very much a "bright young things" effort from Christie, which has very much a P G Wodehouse feel at times, and so this bodes well. Will Poulter and Lucy Boynton star as the bright young things who find themselves hunting down a murderer.