Chat talk and light discussion

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Greystoke
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Re: last movie you watched

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2024 12:41 am
Today I saw The Blue Lamp and The Man They Could Not Hang. I don't think I've seen The Blue Lamp since I was a teenager, but it remains a very fine piece of work, even given the fact that nearly everyone watching today knows about the big dramatic scene that occurs halfway through. Rather like Went the Day Well, it's a dark and surprisingly gritty tale for a studio best known for its comedies. The tight, almost social realist, script is played to perfection by the cast which includes Jack Warner and Dirk Bogarde. Bogarde would often talk disparagingly about his "criminal in a mac" roles, but there's little doubt that they contributed to the more complex roles that came later. Indeed, the Blue Lamp was directed by Basil Dearden, who would go on to direct him in Victim (and he worked with Joseph Losey for the first time in The Sleeping Tiger). The blu ray looks excellent.

This evening, I returned to The Man They Could Not Hang, which is possibly the best movie in Eureka's Karloff at Columbia set. It's the first of Boris's Mad Doctor movies, and here he plays a scientist sentenced to death for "murdering" a student who volunteered to have his heart stopped in a scientific experiment. Karloff then comes back and starts killing off the jury, judge and prosecutor. There are elements here that we associate with Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, but they were released at around the same time as each other. The influence on both seem to come from the 1934 film The Ninth Guest, and the book it is based on. Indeed, the first killing in the Karloff film is by electrocution of the exit to the building everyone's trapped in. But MTCNH is a good movie, even if it's perhaps rushed in the second half, running at just 64 minutes.
Eureka's Karloff at Columbia release is very good, indeed. I'll have to watch a few films from that set again myself.

Last night I watched Alien 3, which isn't nearly as good as Alien and Aliens, or Alien: Romulus, for that matter. But I had been planning on watching it again recently.

pmp
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by pmp »

Yesterday I happened to catch the first few minutes of Scoob! on TV, and thought it looked better than I imagined it would be, and so watched the rest of it today. The first fifteen minutes are utterly charming, with Shaggy meeting Scooby and then becoming friends with Daphne, Velma, and Fred, with this section ending with a nice recreation of the opening credits sequence of the original TV series. Sadly, that's where the charm and fun ends.

After this, the movie moves forward ten years for a "throw in everything but the kitchen sink" approach featuring the Blue Falcon (whoever he is), Dick Dastardly, Muttley, and Captain Caveman. It's a huge disappointment after the opening section, and a complete mess, which is neither funny or particularly exciting, and that (beyond the first 15 minutes) has almost nothing in common with the franchise as a whole, or the general vibe associated with it. It tries far too hard to please, when all it needed to do was continue along the lines of the opening act. The starry cast of Mark Wahlberg, Zac Efron, Jeremy Isaccs, Henry Winkler and...errr...Simon Cowell get completely lost, and don't really add anything to the disappointing proceedings.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Tonight I saw the blu ray (BD-R) of the 1933 horror thriller The Vampire Bat, released by The Film Detective. Considering this was made by a poverty row studio, this is a classy production, helped along by a cast including Melvyn Douglas, Fay Wray, Lionel Atwill and Dwight Frye, and sets leased from Universal's productions of Frankenstein and The Old Dark House. A small village is reeling from a series of murders that involve the draining of blood from the victims. Rumours abound that the killings are the results of either vampires or bats - or both. The film ends up as a kind of mash-up of Dracula, Frankenstein and the mad doctor movies, but it's surprisingly effective for such a low budget production - in fact, it's every bit as good as many horrors and thrillers from the major studios during the same period. Douglas is the man investigating the killings, and seemingly the only one who dismisses the vampire/bats theory. Fay Wray is his girlfriend who works for doctor Lionel Atwill. Dwight Frye is the simpleton that the villagers believe is the vampire, and, while the role is nothing new for him, he's especially effective here. The Film Detective burn on demand blu ray is a crisp and clear transfer, even if there is sign of wear on parts of the film, but thats to be expected on a PD film, but it certainly looks miles better here than on any previous home video release.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2024 1:57 am
Tonight I saw the blu ray (BD-R) of the 1933 horror thriller The Vampire Bat, released by The Film Detective. Considering this was made by a poverty row studio, this is a classy production, helped along by a cast including Melvyn Douglas, Fay Wray, Lionel Atwill and Dwight Frye, and sets leased from Universal's productions of Frankenstein and The Old Dark House. A small village is reeling from a series of murders that involve the draining of blood from the victims. Rumours abound that the killings are the results of either vampires or bats - or both. The film ends up as a kind of mash-up of Dracula, Frankenstein and the mad doctor movies, but it's surprisingly effective for such a low budget production - in fact, it's every bit as good as many horrors and thrillers from the major studios during the same period. Douglas is the man investigating the killings, and seemingly the only one who dismisses the vampire/bats theory. Fay Wray is his girlfriend who works for doctor Lionel Atwill. Dwight Frye is the simpleton that the villagers believe is the vampire, and, while the role is nothing new for him, he's especially effective here. The Film Detective burn on demand blu ray is a crisp and clear transfer, even if there is sign of wear on parts of the film, but thats to be expected on a PD film, but it certainly looks miles better here than on any previous home video release.
That's good to hear. I have The Vampire Bat on DVD, and it's practically unwatchable now. The Film Detective have offered some good releases over the years, so this is one I'll be sure to get hold of.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I saw Sing Sing at the cinema today, which stars Colman Domingo in a compassionate story about John ‘Divine G’ Whitfield, the founder of the Rehabilitation Through the Arts prison theatre group at Sing Sing Correctional Facility.

Domingo has impressed me a great deal in his recent roles, and this film is no exception. Especially under such astute and sensitive direction from Greg Kwedar, and quite marvellous cinematography from Pat Scola, who makes the oppressive and often grim surroundings feel tangible and real.

Paul Raci also appears as the director of the group, and this is the kind of role Raci has eased into in recent years. He brings an intelligence and an authenticity to his character that rings entirely true. Importantly, however, the intention to uplift and reaffirm doesn't undermine or overlook why the characters depicted are in prison. Impressive filmmaking in many respects.

pmp

Post by pmp »

My plans for the week have been rather thrown. I should have been in London for a couple of days at the Proms, but had to stay home as I have to leave off arthritis meds for a month due to having a suspected melanoma excised next week (the meds suppress the immune system, and so would affect healing), and so in a lot of pain right now. And so, I've stocked up on blu rays for my weeks of pain instead!

Tonight I saw Damn Yankees, which came out in the UK on blu ray on Monday. I confess I didn't really know much about it before watching, and I thought it was an uneven film - but perhaps that was always going to be the view from a Brit watching a film about Baseball. It's easy to see how it probably would work better on stage - in fact, for much of its running time it looks like a stage play, and with the acting you would associate with that. Perhaps that's because most of the cast are from the stage show. The only lead actor not in the stage version is Tab Hunter, who often seems ill at ease, and yet shares with Gwen Verdon what is easily the best musical number here: Two Lost Souls, which is really stunning and well worth the 90 minute wait. Rumour has it that the vocals were sung live on set, but I have no idea if that's true. But it's the moment where Hunter finally seems to let rip, and it's a great number. The blu ray from Warner Archive mostly looks excellent, with the exception of random shots and, oddly, the final scene, which appears to come from a different source altogether. Not sure it's something I shall return to very often, but it will remain on my shelves.

Take Me Out to the Ballgame, The Ladykillers, High School Confidential, and Circle of Danger await in the coming days...

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2024 11:25 pm
My plans for the week have been rather thrown. I should have been in London for a couple of days at the Proms, but had to stay home as I have to leave off arthritis meds for a month due to having a suspected melanoma excised next week (the meds suppress the immune system, and so would affect healing), and so in a lot of pain right now. And so, I've stocked up on blu rays for my weeks of pain instead!

Tonight I saw Damn Yankees, which came out in the UK on blu ray on Monday. I confess I didn't really know much about it before watching, and I thought it was an uneven film - but perhaps that was always going to be the view from a Brit watching a film about Baseball. It's easy to see how it probably would work better on stage - in fact, for much of its running time it looks like a stage play, and with the acting you would associate with that. Perhaps that's because most of the cast are from the stage show. The only lead actor not in the stage version is Tab Hunter, who often seems ill at ease, and yet shares with Gwen Verdon what is easily the best musical number here: Two Lost Souls, which is really stunning and well worth the 90 minute wait. Rumour has it that the vocals were sung live on set, but I have no idea if that's true. But it's the moment where Hunter finally seems to let rip, and it's a great number. The blu ray from Warner Archive mostly looks excellent, with the exception of random shots and, oddly, the final scene, which appears to come from a different source altogether. Not sure it's something I shall return to very often, but it will remain on my shelves.

Take Me Out to the Ballgame, The Ladykillers, High School Confidential, and Circle of Danger await in the coming days...
Sorry to hear about your troubles, Shane. I hope it gets easier by the day.

I haven't bought Damn Yankees yet, but I will do. Although I agree with you in respect to how it looks and feels like the stage play without being entirely cinematic. But that's a great selection of films for the coming days. Take Me Out to the Ball Game never fails to delight, and the same is true of The Ladykillers.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I watched Beetlejuice last night, since I was seeing Beetlejuice Beetlejuice at the cinema today, and I'm glad I did, although the original film is quite familiar to me. But I hadn't seen it in a while.

The new film is nostalgic and doesn't hold many surprises, and whilst messy and less certain about where it's going in comparison to the first movie, Michael Keaton is clearly enjoying himself, and so is Winona Ryder. Visually, it looks great, and there's some wild and wicked ideas, and great music. I had fun with both.

I also saw Starve Acre at the cinema today, which is directed by Daniel Kokotajlo and reminded me of Ben Wheatley's best work from some years back. It's steeped in the best folk horror traditions, with Morfydd Clark giving an effective performance in this Yorkshire-set chiller that finds a family learning into the supernatural when all else fails their sick child.

It's very restrained and builds slowly, with eerie photography on the Yorkshire moors, and Matt Smith on fine form as Clark's partner, whilst Matthew Herbert’s haunting score serves the spooky imagery and dark corners of this film exceptionally well. Some of the themes are certainly familiar, and there's echoes of Don't Look Now, with The Wicker Man as an obvious touch point, but I found Starve Acre to be quite an effective horror.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I watched Rebel Ridge tonight, which is Jeremey Saulnier's latest film, and his first since 2018's Hold the Dark. It's on Netflix, where it's finding an audience, which is good to see, considering how low key his films have been. And Rebel Ridge is thematically similar to Saulnier's previous films, with his fondness for wronged men doing right in violent ways central here.

Aaron Pierre stars as the former marine who is stopped by two accusatory and rough-handed cops on his way to post bail for his cousin. He tries to get legal help and to press charges, only to find out that the town sheriff, played by Don Johnson, is complicit in their actions and part of a deeper well of corruption.

You've heard this before, no doubt. It's any number of old westerns, or Walking Tall, First Blood, etc., although Saulnier directs with a typically deft touch, which is bolstered by an assured and persuasive performance from Pierre.

Johnson is fine in a small role, as is James Cromwell, and if it does nothing new, Rebel Ridge does it well and is a fun, engaging action film that's unfortunately too long and baggy in places. But it's largely satisfying. Crisp editing from Saulnier, too. Whilst there's some fine camera work from D.P., David Gallego, which helps to bring some stylistic touches to the proceedings.
Last edited by Greystoke on Sun Sep 08, 2024 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

pmp

Post by pmp »

I'm looking forward to seeing Starve Acre, too.

Over the last couple of days I've see High School Confidential and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. High School Confidential is very silly - especially to modern day audiences - and it definitely has pacing issues, not helped by John Barrymore Jr's loooong comic monologue near the beginning, but it's still entertaining, partly because of its silliness. But the cast is generally good, and it's fun to count all of the "Jrs" in the cast list (John Barrymore Jr, Charles Chaplin Jr, William Wellman Jr).

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is, I think, the Rathbone/Bruce film I have seen least. I'm not sure why that is. It's not the best in the series, but it's a good entry, and the last one before Universal took over with the "modern" setting B movies. It purports to be an adaptation of the William Gillette play but, unlike the 1916 and 1922 films, it actually has next to nothing to do with it. Instead, we have a relatively convuluted plot about Moriarty trying to steal the crown jewels. There's a good supporting cast here, not least Ida Lupino and George Zucco, who makes a fine Moriarty. The German blu ray is "fine," but it's a shame that the 1990s restorations are still being used, when these films clearly deserve a proper clean-up.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2024 2:03 am
I'm looking forward to seeing Starve Acre, too.

Over the last couple of days I've see High School Confidential and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. High School Confidential is very silly - especially to modern day audiences - and it definitely has pacing issues, not helped by John Barrymore Jr's loooong comic monologue near the beginning, but it's still entertaining, partly because of its silliness. But the cast is generally good, and it's fun to count all of the "Jrs" in the cast list (John Barrymore Jr, Charles Chaplin Jr, William Wellman Jr).

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is, I think, the Rathbone/Bruce film I have seen least. I'm not sure why that is. It's not the best in the series, but it's a good entry, and the last one before Universal took over with the "modern" setting B movies. It purports to be an adaptation of the William Gillette play but, unlike the 1916 and 1922 films, it actually has next to nothing to do with it. Instead, we have a relatively convuluted plot about Moriarty trying to steal the crown jewels. There's a good supporting cast here, not least Ida Lupino and George Zucco, who makes a fine Moriarty. The German blu ray is "fine," but it's a shame that the 1990s restorations are still being used, when these films clearly deserve a proper clean-up.
I'm very fond of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, and as opposed to yourself, Shane, it's one of the Holmes films I've seen the most. I would love to see these films newly remastered, too, all the same. I'm surprised that none of the boutique labels in the UK have touched these films yet. Although The Hound of the Baskervilles was released as a standalone Blu-ray by Studio Canal.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I watched Major Dundee this morning, which I think is one of the most interesting westerns of the sixties, especially the longer, restored version. It's still flawed, no doubt, but the story about an obsessive U.S. army major, played.by Charlton Heston, who recruits a rag-tag band of Confederate prisoners to hunt raiding Apaches, is steeped in allegory. With Moby Dick being a major influence.

The performances are largely good, especially Heston and Richard Harris, and there's some great dialogue throughout. Arrow's limited edition Blu-ray release is quite outstanding. I last watched the film in 2021 when this set was released, and it was also good to have another read of the booklet. I think it's still one of Arrow's better releases.

ForeverElvis
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by ForeverElvis »

I watched Asphalt City (originally titled - Black Flies) last night.

I don’t think I’ve seen a film quite like this. Starring Sean Penn and Tye Sheridan, the Acting is first rate with well-written, realistic dialogue.

But, this was a grim, bleak, disturbing, unflinching and incoherent mess. I was not entertained, not emotionally involved in the characters.

The episodic story thread is about a rookie paramedic on the streets of East New York on the overnight shift. He’s an uninteresting nobody at the start and a slightly more confident nobody at the end ….. I was wishing he’d quit the job about 60 minutes in so the movie would end.

It wants to be a portrait of the trauma first responders experience, their mental deterioration from the job. To be successful you need to like a character and care about him or her at the start. I didn’t give a crap about Tye Sheridan at all.

The behavior of one paramedic, played by Michael Pitt, who drinks and consumes drugs on shift and is a disturbing, unrelenting bully to his co-worker is so unrealistic. He’d of been suspended or fired for any one of the things he does.

I wasted two hours on this - I’m never getting that back. Hopefully you won’t make the same mistake.

Always Elvis
Anthony

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

ForeverElvis wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2024 7:13 pm
I watched Asphalt City (originally titled - Black Flies) last night.

I don’t think I’ve seen a film quite like this. Starring Sean Penn and Tye Sheridan, the Acting is first rate with well-written, realistic dialogue.

But, this was a grim, bleak, disturbing, unflinching and incoherent mess. I was not entertained, not emotionally involved in the characters.

The episodic story thread is about a rookie paramedic on the streets of East New York on the overnight shift. He’s an uninteresting nobody at the start and a slightly more confident nobody at the end ….. I was wishing he’d quit the job about 60 minutes in so the movie would end.

It wants to be a portrait of the trauma first responders experience, their mental deterioration from the job. To be successful you need to like a character and care about him or her at the start. I didn’t give a crap about Tye Sheridan at all.

The behavior of one paramedic, played by Michael Pitt, who drinks and consumes drugs on shift and is a disturbing, unrelenting bully to his co-worker is so unrealistic. He’d of been suspended or fired for any one of the things he does.

I wasted two hours on this - I’m never getting that back. Hopefully you won’t make the same mistake.
I haven't seen it, but have been meaning to watch it. I think it's on Prime here. I'll catch up with it at some point.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Today's movie was Guys and Dolls, which I haven't seen for a long time. Despite the quirky casting of Brando in a musical, it's a very fine film, even if several of the show's best songs are omitted, including I've Never Been in Love Before and A Bushel and A Peck. These decisions are rather odd, especially given the former had been recently recorded by Chet Baker, that gave the number a new lease of life. And Bushel and a Peck was one of the most famous songs from the show, and is replaced by a new number that isn't anywhere near as good. That said, I've Never Been in Love Before was replaced by the rather lovely A Woman in Love, which was a sizeable hit for Frankie Laine. Despite being two and a half hours long, the movie moves along a fair lick, and it never seems to drag - perhaps helped by some of the best-known numbers being in the final hour, which is quite the opposite to many musicals from the period. The blu ray on the US version of the Frank Sinatra Collection set is fine. It's not the sharpest looking 50s film I've seen on blu ray, but it's perfectly fine.

As an aside, the next two UK Warner Archive titles are For Me and My Gal and the Janet Gaynor version of A Star is Born. I've got For Me and My Gal already, but might go for Star is Born, although I haven't seen it before.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2024 1:29 am
Today's movie was Guys and Dolls, which I haven't seen for a long time. Despite the quirky casting of Brando in a musical, it's a very fine film, even if several of the show's best songs are omitted, including I've Never Been in Love Before and A Bushel and A Peck. These decisions are rather odd, especially given the former had been recently recorded by Chet Baker, that gave the number a new lease of life. And Bushel and a Peck was one of the most famous songs from the show, and is replaced by a new number that isn't anywhere near as good. That said, I've Never Been in Love Before was replaced by the rather lovely A Woman in Love, which was a sizeable hit for Frankie Laine. Despite being two and a half hours long, the movie moves along a fair lick, and it never seems to drag - perhaps helped by some of the best-known numbers being in the final hour, which is quite the opposite to many musicals from the period. The blu ray on the US version of the Frank Sinatra Collection set is fine. It's not the sharpest looking 50s film I've seen on blu ray, but it's perfectly fine.

As an aside, the next two UK Warner Archive titles are For Me and My Gal and the Janet Gaynor version of A Star is Born. I've got For Me and My Gal already, but might go for Star is Born, although I haven't seen it before.
I'm a big fan of Guys and Dolls, too. It's mightily impressive in a lot of respect, and it's great to have just one film in which Sinatra and Brando co-starred. The Blu-ray is fine, as you've said, but I wouldn't be opposed to a new remaster.

It's the old media book release that I have. It's quite nice, as were most of that type of release from Warners. And again, it's good to see more Warner Archive titles being released in the UK.

IMG_20240909_085957161_MP~2.jpg
IMG_20240909_090023729_MP~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Greystoke wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:10 am
pmp wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2024 1:29 am

I'm a big fan of Guys and Dolls, too. It's mightily impressive in a lot of respect, and it's great to have just one film in which Sinatra and Brando co-starred. The Blu-ray is fine, as you've said, but I wouldn't be opposed to a new remaster.

It's the old media book release that I have. It's quite nice, as were most of that type of release from Warners. And again, it's good to see more Warner Archive titles being released in the UK.

Mine is the US Sinatra collection with Anchors Aweigh, On the Town, Robin and the Seven Hoods, and Oceans 11, but the disc is the same, I think.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Tonight I saw Circle of Danger, a rather low-key mystery-thriller starring Ray Milland as a man trying to find out what happened to his brother who was mysteriously killed in an combat operation in WW2. The title promises much, but the thriller element never really takes off, and there's not really a circle or much danger, and the denouement isn't particularly exciting or unexpected. There are some good performances, though, particularly from Milland and Patricia Roc, although she doesn't have much to work with, and it's professionally directed by the great Jacques Tourneur. The blu ray looks excellent but, while this passed the time effectively, you spend most of the ninety minutes waiting for the film to take off.

Last night I saw Borley Rectory (2017). This is a real oddity that calls itself an animated documentary about "the most haunted house in England." This is another movie that doesn't quite take off, but it does have a kind of hypnotic charm to it, with the visuals a kind of homage to German Expressionism and the Universal horrors of the 1930s. Julian Sands does the narration. While I'd never call the film a rousing success, I would class it as a very interesting failure that is worth a watch, even if you're unlikely to return to it in the future. THe blu ray is generous with its bonus features, and includes two hour-long documentaries.

pmp

Post by pmp »

The announcement from Sony this week about a 20-film package of Frank Capra films from his Columbia years is quite tasty, to say the least. Many are included on both blu ray and 4K. It covers the years 1928 to 1939. The last few chronologically have been around on blu ray before, but it's the other fourteen or fifteen films that will no doubt get pulses racing, but they key will be how much it costs!

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=35166

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:57 pm
The announcement from Sony this week about a 20-film package of Frank Capra films from his Columbia years is quite tasty, to say the least. Many are included on both blu ray and 4K. It covers the years 1928 to 1939. The last few chronologically have been around on blu ray before, but it's the other fourteen or fifteen films that will no doubt get pulses racing, but they key will be how much it costs!

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=35166
That's quite an incredible looking box set. It's one I'll be eager to get hold of. And hopefully there's more to come from Sony, with regards to the 100th anniversary of Columba Pictures. I've got my eye on quite a few box sets that are due next month.

I saw Lee at the cinema this weekend, which stars Kate Winslet as the wartime photographer, Lee Miller, who went on the front lines during World War II to capture some incredible and historic photographs. It's a remarkable story, and Winslet is splendid in the leading role, whilst Andy Samberg is very good as David E. Scherman, a fellow-photographer who supports Lee in spite of everything that's against her.

Directed by Ellen Kuras, this is a film that is unflinching in what it wants to say about war, despite some of the conventional biopic tropes, but the cast is very good and Winslet is a captivating presence throughout. It's one of her best performances in a film for some time. Whilst her efforts to get this film made are highly commendable.

Over the weekend I also watched Red River, which is always great to revisit. And The Big Clock, which is also one of those films that's quite rewatchable, and fascinating in many respects. I also watched Eden Lake again, which I saw on release back in 2008, but I don't think I've watched since. It still holds up well in many respects, and it's great to see how Jack O'Connell's career has flourished since then. He's terrific as the young thug who terrorises a couple who are taking a romantic break by the titular lake.

Michael Fassbender and Kelly Reilly play the couple, whilst the film's director, James Thomas Watkins, has his latest film, Speak No Evil, in cinemas at the moment. I'm planning on seeing that this week. I also watched Against All Odds at the weekend, which is another film I hadn't seen in years. Although I remembered Phil Collins' theme song. It's a reworking of a favourite of mine from the 1940s, Out of the Past, although it's nowhere near as good. But this was good to see again.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Over the last few days...

Die Screaming Marianne. This Pete Walker thriller is somewhat less lurid than his name or the title of the film might suggest, although Leo Genn getting turned on by his daughter and contemplating incest is something I could have done without. It starts off well (the film, not the incest), but soon loses its way, and while Susan George does well here, it's pretty forgettable, and no-one dies screaming.

I revisited Strangers on a Train on Saturday, which is a film I can always rewatch, and Farley Granger and Robert Walker are extremely good in their respective roles. I'm sure Walker's performance gets more outrageous each time you watch. I'd started out giving Dial M for Murder another go, but I can never make it past the half hour mark - there's something about it that I find rather tiresome, and the blu ray is pretty awful in quality, too.

Last night I saw Darkness Falls, which has popped up on Netflix. I rather enjoyed it when it came out twenty years ago, although reviews were pretty horrible. I have to confess I have no idea what I saw in it all those years ago, and found it to be pretty banal.

Today I watched the Warner Archive bluray of The Mask of Fu Manchu, which remains pretty outrageous even when you have a good idea of what to expect. The blu ray has some of the same issues as the DVD, in that the scenes that were censored on re-release come from a different print in different picture quality and different sound quality. There's no real effort to mask that in the HD version. But it is what it is, and it remains an entertaining if rather lurid pre-code horror thriller. Karloff is great, and there's some fun in trying to spot how much Myrna Loy is fuming about being forced to do the role by MGM!

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 4:02 am
Over the last few days...

Die Screaming Marianne. This Pete Walker thriller is somewhat less lurid than his name or the title of the film might suggest, although Leo Genn getting turned on by his daughter and contemplating incest is something I could have done without. It starts off well (the film, not the incest), but soon loses its way, and while Susan George does well here, it's pretty forgettable, and no-one dies screaming.

I revisited Strangers on a Train on Saturday, which is a film I can always rewatch, and Farley Granger and Robert Walker are extremely good in their respective roles. I'm sure Walker's performance gets more outrageous each time you watch. I'd started out giving Dial M for Murder another go, but I can never make it past the half hour mark - there's something about it that I find rather tiresome, and the blu ray is pretty awful in quality, too.

Last night I saw Darkness Falls, which has popped up on Netflix. I rather enjoyed it when it came out twenty years ago, although reviews were pretty horrible. I have to confess I have no idea what I saw in it all those years ago, and found it to be pretty banal.

Today I watched the Warner Archive bluray of The Mask of Fu Manchu, which remains pretty outrageous even when you have a good idea of what to expect. The blu ray has some of the same issues as the DVD, in that the scenes that were censored on re-release come from a different print in different picture quality and different sound quality. There's no real effort to mask that in the HD version. But it is what it is, and it remains an entertaining if rather lurid pre-code horror thriller. Karloff is great, and there's some fun in trying to spot how much Myrna Loy is fuming about being forced to do the role by MGM!
Strangers on a Train is always great to revisit. It's a fascinating film. Although I like Dial M for Murder more than you do, Shane. I might have to give A Perfect Murder a watch again fairly soon. I haven't seen that in a while.

I'm sure we've spoken about Darkenes Falls in the past. It isn't a film I was ever fond of, but I might give it another look since it's on Netflix. I don't think I've seen it a second time. I haven't watched a Fu Manchu film in some time, either. The last time was one of the Christopher Lee instalments, which I was never a big fan of. Although Indicator's box set looked quite impressive. I'll probably pick up The Mask of Fu Manchu at some point, though.