Re: last movie you watched

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2024 11:34 pm
Greystoke wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:25 pm
pmp wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2024 7:01 pm
Arrived this morning - a treat for myself after a sh*t month. Pandora's Box is also on its way, as is the first 5 blu ray box in Kino's Dark Side of Cinema series, which is currently just £25 on Amazon. Oh, and 200 classical records. Busy week!

Very nice, Shane. I'll probably get hold of The Suspect and The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry at some point.
The Suspect is actually from an Arrow Film Noir box, I think, as it says not to be sold separately on the back - but having it pulled from the box suits me fine as I didn't want the other from it. They all come from an ebay seller in the UK. The region A discs were not exactly cheap, but cheaper than importing them, and I got the lot for £60, which I was pleased with. The Dumb Girl of Portici would have been £25 on its own if I bought it from the States.

The rest of the year is going to be expensive, I think, what with the Warner Archive horror titles, the Criterion Val Lewton double bill, and the Eureka Feuillade serials box. Thankfully I'll be getting the Columbia Horror box as a Christmas present. Undercrank have also announced their restoration of the 1926 version of The Bat, which is another one I'll grab before it disappears.

I saw Uncle Harry tonight which is a solid drama/thriller which is completely spoiled by the ridiculous ending which was pretty much demanded by the Hays Office. The Olive Films blu ray is good, but there are no special features to speak of, and picture quality is just fine. But, as always, good to get these films in even average blu ray quality compared to what we have had in the past.
It's going to be the same for me. I'm prioritising some box sets and limited editions that are due in late October and November, then I'll probably make a big purchase around Christmas. I might hold off on the Columbia Horror set since it won't sell out fast, but the likes of Arrow's J-Horror box set and Radiance's upcoming box sets probably won't stick around too long.

They'll get standard releases later on, no doubt. Although I have noticed a few Radiance titles being single print releases, which is worth keeping an eye out for, just in case.

pmp
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by pmp »

Greystoke wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2024 1:03 am
pmp wrote:
Greystoke wrote:
pmp wrote:
Arrived this morning - a treat for myself after a sh*t month. Pandora's Box is also on its way, as is the first 5 blu ray box in Kino's Dark Side of Cinema series, which is currently just £25 on Amazon. Oh, and 200 classical records. Busy week!

Very nice, Shane. I'll probably get hold of The Suspect and The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry at some point.
The Suspect is actually from an Arrow Film Noir box, I think, as it says not to be sold separately on the back - but having it pulled from the box suits me fine as I didn't want the other from it. They all come from an ebay seller in the UK. The region A discs were not exactly cheap, but cheaper than importing them, and I got the lot for £60, which I was pleased with. The Dumb Girl of Portici would have been £25 on its own if I bought it from the States.

The rest of the year is going to be expensive, I think, what with the Warner Archive horror titles, the Criterion Val Lewton double bill, and the Eureka Feuillade serials box. Thankfully I'll be getting the Columbia Horror box as a Christmas present. Undercrank have also announced their restoration of the 1926 version of The Bat, which is another one I'll grab before it disappears.

I saw Uncle Harry tonight which is a solid drama/thriller which is completely spoiled by the ridiculous ending which was pretty much demanded by the Hays Office. The Olive Films blu ray is good, but there are no special features to speak of, and picture quality is just fine. But, as always, good to get these films in even average blu ray quality compared to what we have had in the past.
It's going to be the same for me. I'm prioritising some box sets and limited editions that are due in late October and November, then I'll probably make a big purchase around Christmas. I might hold off on the Columbia Horror set since it won't sell out fast, but the likes of Arrow's J-Horror box set and Radiance's upcoming box sets probably won't stick around too long.

They'll get standard releases later on, no doubt. Although I have noticed a few Radiance titles being single print releases, which is worth keeping an eye out for, just in case.
Rarewaves currently have a 2 for £16 offer on "collectors blu rays" - that includes some of Radiance's past titles.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

Greystoke
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2024 3:32 am
Greystoke wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2024 1:03 am
pmp wrote:
Greystoke wrote:
pmp wrote:

Rarewaves currently have a 2 for £16 offer on "collectors blu rays" - that includes some of Radiance's past titles.
Thanks, Shane. I'll take a look. They've really come into their own as one of the most interesting labels around.

ForeverElvis
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

last movie you watched

Post by ForeverElvis »

Has anybody tried the Netflix series mr. and Mrs. Smith?

I started to watch episode one last night and only got about 25 minutes in and had to turn it off. I was bored to death. That is rare for me. I think I’ve turned off maybe three or four things my entire life once I’ve started them. Now, I may have been tired at the end of a workday or it was just boring.

Anyone out there thinks I should maybe give it another shot? When I’m more awake or, is the pacing in that first half hour foreshadowing the pacing of the whole thing?

I also recently watched “the perfect couple”, that moved along at a nice clip. I also guessed the murderer at the second episode - very superficial.

The other day I watched Rebel Ridge, which I thought was a well shot suspenseful thriller. The lead actor has riveting eyes that really would’ve stood out on a large theater screen..

Don’t think about it too hard, because what sets the film in motion is the police seizing the lead characters money, the cash. This money was going to be used to bail his cousin out of jail.

Why wouldn’t he just be carrying a money order or certified check from a bank?

Because then there would be no movie.

I was a bit surprised that the whole movie hinged on one line of dialogue across a radio that was hard to hear at the end.

I actually had to rewatch the last five minutes to make sure I picked up on it . It’s nothing great but it’s a passable time filler.

Always Elvis
Anthony

Greystoke
Registered for: 1 year 7 months

Post by Greystoke »

ForeverElvis wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2024 4:38 am
Has anybody tried the Netflix series mr. and Mrs. Smith?

I started to watch episode one last night and only got about 25 minutes in and had to turn it off. I was bored to death. That is rare for me. I think I’ve turned off maybe three or four things my entire life once I’ve started them. Now, I may have been tired at the end of a workday or it was just boring.

Anyone out there thinks I should maybe give it another shot? When I’m more awake or, is the pacing in that first half hour foreshadowing the pacing of the whole thing?

I also recently watched “the perfect couple”, that moved along at a nice clip. I also guessed the murderer at the second episode - very superficial.

The other day I watched Rebel Ridge, which I thought was a well shot suspenseful thriller. The lead actor has riveting eyes that really would’ve stood out on a large theater screen..

Don’t think about it too hard, because what sets the film in motion is the police seizing the lead characters money, the cash. This money was going to be used to bail his cousin out of jail.

Why wouldn’t he just be carrying a money order or certified check from a bank?

Because then there would be no movie.

I was a bit surprised that the whole movie hinged on one line of dialogue across a radio that was hard to hear at the end.

I actually had to rewatch the last five minutes to make sure I picked up on it . It’s nothing great but it’s a passable time filler.
I haven't seen Mr. and Mrs. Smith or The Perfect Couple, but I have watched Rebel Ridge. I can't imagine that I'll watch those two series, all the same.