Poll # 2 - Hitchcock Best Films (1950 -1976)

Chat talk and light discussion

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Hitchcock Best Films (1950 -1976)

Poll ended at Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:51 am

Vertigo (1958)
14%
North by Northwest (1959)
21%
Psycho (1960)
17%
I Confess (1951)
7%
Strangers on a Train (1951)
7%
Dial M For Murder (1954)
3%
The Birds (1963)
7%
Marnie (1964)
No votes
Rear Window (1954)
7%
To Catch a Thief (1955)
No votes
Frenzy (1972)
10%
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)
3%
The Wrong Man (1956)
No votes
Family Plot (1976)
3%
Others ?...
No votes

Total votes: 29

Topic author
Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years

Poll # 2 - Hitchcock Best Films (1950 -1976)

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Hey all,

I reckon we should bring back the movies and movies-themed polls including famous producers and directors.

Now last year i had a Hitchcock poll but the cut off point was around 1950.

So with Part two this covers the second Hollywood Years Chapter.

I look forward to your votes, feedback and any suggestions on future polls of this kind 8)

Cheers...

Mine are:

NORTH BY NORTHWEST
STRANGERS ON A TRAIN
REAR WINDOW
PSYCHO
I CONFESS
THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Re: Poll # 2 - Hitchcock Best Films (1950 -1976)

Post by brian »

On that list I have to go with North by northwest. I liked most of those films. I haven't seen Vertigo or The Wrong man. Marnie was okay but not great. Every other film was really good but that's my favorite one.

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

brian wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:22 am
On that list I have to go with North by northwest. I liked most of those films. I haven't seen Vertigo or The Wrong man. Marnie was okay but not great. Every other film was really good but that's my favorite one.
i'll have to re-visit 'Marnie' as i only saw it twice and not since 1991. I vaguely recall that it was a psychological love triangle with Tippi Hedren, Sean Connery and another female in the cast.

Expect to see North by Northwest win this thing :lol:

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

To promote the film, Nat King Cole was hired by Alfred Hitchcock to record lyrics for a "Marnie" theme song.

Bernard Herrmann himself wrote the theme which was then recorded by Nat King Cole and producer Ralph Carmichael.

The promotional advertising read: "Nat the King sings the beautiful lyrics of the tune inspired by the brilliant Alfred Hitchcock production for the Capitol Records Label"

The single was later released on the album "The Beautiful Ballad" (Capitol ST-2820) in 1967.

ForeverElvis
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by ForeverElvis »

I’m supposed to pick my six from the 1950-1976 period?

North by Northwest
Rear Window
Vertigo
Strangers on a Train
Psycho
The Birds

I Confess

Could you post a link to your previous Hitchcock poll please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always Elvis
Anthony

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

ForeverElvis wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:05 pm
I’m supposed to pick my six from the 1950-1976 period?

North by Northwest
Rear Window
Vertigo
Strangers on a Train
Psycho
The Birds

I Confess

Could you post a link to your previous Hitchcock poll please?

Thanks. You'll find it over on the Classic Artists feature, where i should a posted this topic but forgot :shock:

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Greystoke wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:30 pm
My top five is,

Vertigo
Psycho
North by Northwest
The Birds
Rear Window

Choosing a sixth is pretty tricky, I’m very fond of the others, with the least of them being Marnie, in my opinion.

Great poll, Robt.
You got eight days to pick one more :D

pmp
Registered for: 4 years 11 months

Post by pmp »

I found myself going with Vertigo, I Confess,Psycho, North by Northwest and Strangers on a Train for the first five. I agree with Hugh that a sixth is more difficult. Can you leave out Rear Window? Well,I have because I think it has been over-egged somewhat by critics and academics (possibly Vertigo has been too).

The rest are all flawed in one way or another, but I went with Frenzy for my final choice, probably because it's the most interesting of the others rather than because it's the best. It's an elderly Hitchcock trying to recapture the great movie-making he hadn't really produced in over a decade, and I admire its style, its brutality, and the fact it is pure Hitchcock in a way that the remaining. Movies really were not.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 9 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Psycho
Vertigno
North by northhwest
Family plot
Frenzy ,i really do like this one

-instagram kenh1964

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

keninlincs wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:44 am
Psycho
Vertigo
North by Northwest
Family plot
Frenzy ,i really do like this one
Good on you ken. "Frenzy" another one i haven't seen a long time.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Greystoke wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:10 pm
pmp wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:05 am
I found myself going with Vertigo, I Confess,Psycho, North by Northwest and Strangers on a Train for the first five. I agree with Hugh that a sixth is more difficult. Can you leave out Rear Window? Well,I have because I think it has been over-egged somewhat by critics and academics (possibly Vertigo has been too).

The rest are all flawed in one way or another, but I went with Frenzy for my final choice, probably because it's the most interesting of the others rather than because it's the best. It's an elderly Hitchcock trying to recapture the great movie-making he hadn't really produced in over a decade, and I admire its style, its brutality, and the fact it is pure Hitchcock in a way that the remaining. Movies really were not.
I’m certainly fond of Frenzy, although Family Plot has never really found much interest and quickly became obscure, or certainly overshadowed by Hitchcock’s better-known and more renowned films. And coming at the end of his career, being his last film, in fact, that can elevate a film’s status, or render it inconsequential in light of what has come before, if we’re discussing a career like Hitch’s.

What I like about Family Plot, is the way it plays with coincidence and in telling a story in such a meticulous, yet subtle, way, it’s almost like a Swiss watch in having so many moving parts. I think it’s delightfully well-crafted, although he done this before, and to better effect. But this film really works for me. And the cast is great. I think it warrants a revisit from anyone who hasn’t seen it in a while.
I confess I used to be rather fond of Family Plot until I saw it again a few years ago and was rather disappointed by it that time around. But I certainly think it's a much better film than it's given credit for, and a relative high note for Hitch to end his career on, especially given that he was making Topaz seven years earlier.

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Poll has become a two horse race with North by Northwest and Psycho.

Surprised, however, that Rear Window is not faring well.

Also, surprised to find To Catch a Thief hasn't brought about any votes, so far.

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

If this thing does resonate and becomes a grower, we'll mix things up with a themed-films poll here and there, such as I put up a carefully selected poll where film titles that (for one example) featured the word 'Sweet'. What do you think ? Will it work ?

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Greystoke wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:51 pm
Robt wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:10 pm
If this thing does resonate and becomes a grower, we'll mix things up with a themed-films poll here and there, such as I put up a carefully selected poll where film titles that (for one example) featured the word 'Sweet'. What do you think ? Will it work ?
Some words in a title may be more tricky to think about than others, but I’m all for more film polls, and if you don’t mind some suggestions, maybe years, decades, perhaps more themes or musical elements would be worth thinking about.
thank you greystoke. Decades theme would be good to have such as the 1960's...

pmp

Post by pmp »

Robt wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:05 pm

Also, surprised to find To Catch a Thief hasn't brought about any votes, so far.
I think that, like most things, films go in and out of fashion. Fifteen years ago, Rear Window would probably have been in the top three - but perhaps it was the critics and academic's darling for too long, and the shine has gone off it, at least temporarily. As for To Catch A Thief, I saw it a few weeks back and wrote on here how disappointing and generally dull I find it. Conversely, I think that I confess is faring much better than it would have done a decade ago. It seemed to be underrated for so long, but a quality blu ray release (which it has had) then makes it grab some attention, and I wonder if Clift has become more of a cult figure over the last decade, too. Certainly much has been written about him recently.

The two that genuinely surprise me as doing poorly are The Trouble with Harry and The Wrong Man - there was a time not very long ago when these were being hailed as unjustly neglected masterpieces. I don't like either of them, but I'm surprised that sentiment is more widespread!

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Aw I forgot The Trouble with Harry in my poll. The only blemish. I can't believe i forgot :x

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Greystoke wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:18 am
pmp wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:45 am
Robt wrote:

I think that, like most things, films go in and out of fashion. Fifteen years ago, Rear Window would probably have been in the top three - but perhaps it was the critics and academic's darling for too long, and the shine has gone off it, at least temporarily. As for To Catch A Thief, I saw it a few weeks back and wrote on here how disappointing and generally dull I find it. Conversely, I think that I confess is faring much better than it would have done a decade ago. It seemed to be underrated for so long, but a quality blu ray release (which it has had) then makes it grab some attention, and I wonder if Clift has become more of a cult figure over the last decade, too. Certainly much has been written about him recently.

The two that genuinely surprise me as doing poorly are The Trouble with Harry and The Wrong Man - there was a time not very long ago when these were being hailed as unjustly neglected masterpieces. I don't like either of them, but I'm surprised that sentiment is more widespread!
The Trouble With Harry is a bit of a curio, and a film I haven’t watched in maybe twelve years, or more, in fact. I think it’s far from Hitchcock’s best, but I’ve always liked its quirky gallows humour. I do like The Wrong Man, though. It’s well written and acted, beautifully photographed and it’s a film that I find slowly involving. The Blu-ray is great, I might add.
I saw it a number of years ago and must've found it boring certainly unmemorable.
Still that's not an excuse for me not to have featured it on the poll list.

ForeverElvis
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by ForeverElvis »

Greystoke wrote:
pmp wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:45 am
Robt wrote:

The Trouble With Harry is a bit of a curio, and a film I haven’t watched in maybe twelve years, or more, in fact. I think it’s far from Hitchcock’s best, but I’ve always liked its quirky gallows humour. I do like The Wrong Man, though. It’s well written and acted, beautifully photographed and it’s a film that I find slowly involving. The Blu-ray is great, I might add.
We are certainly in alignment here. With a great cast The Trouble With Harry just never seemed to work.

The Wrong Man, Henry Fonda was terrific. As was the location shooting inside and out.

Always Elvis
Anthony

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Only one day left, folks :)

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Alfred Hitchcock best films 1950 - 1976 poll has ended.

Predictably it comes down to North by Northwest and Psycho, with the former taking out top honors.

Thanks, everyone for your votes, comments and support, particularly after a few months break. I have more polls coming up of this kind and some complimentary themed ones too 8)

eric c
Registered for: 2 years 8 months

Post by eric c »

1.rear window
2.vertigo
3.the birds

ELVIS ROCKS

jetblack
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by jetblack »

Psycho
Dial M For Murder
Rear Window
Frenzy
The Birds

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts