last movie you watched

Chat talk and light discussion

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Re: last movie you watched

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

While The City Sleeps (1956) , a black and white RKO film-noir.

The cast included Dana Andrews, Rhonda Fleming (Bless her, she died not so long ago), Vincent Price, Ida Lupino and Howard Duff.

It had a good start but then it falls away and became more of a talkactive product i thought. Thankfully the last part of the movie it does pick up again.

Anyone here seen this movie before?
while the city sleeps.jpg

Spoiler alert...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049949/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pmp
Registered for: 4 years 10 months

Post by pmp »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 8:33 am
While The City Sleeps (1956) , a black and white RKO film-noir.

The cast included Dana Andrews, Rhonda Fleming (Bless her, she died not so long ago), Vincent Price, Ida Lupino and Howard Duff.

It had a good start but then it falls away and became more of a talkactive product i thought. Thankfully the last part of the movie it does pick up again.

Anyone here seen this movie before?

Spoiler alert...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049949/
Vincent Price in shorts is about the most memorable thing in the film! I think Lang was running out of steam by this point, and he had done the film noir genre too often to breathe any real life into it. That said, there are others who rate this very highly.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

Troubleman
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Troubleman »

Just viewed the original theatrical version of 'Close encounters of the third kind' today. I had forgotten that Carl Weathers, who played Apollo Creed in Rocky, had a cameo in it.

Still a classic.

Troubleman

pmp

Post by pmp »

Troubleman wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:54 am
Just viewed the original theatrical version of 'Close encounters of the third kind' today. I had forgotten that Carl Weathers, who played Apollo Creed in Rocky, had a cameo in it.

Still a classic.
I've had the blu ray for ages, but still haven't got around to watching it yet. It's on the list for a Friday night - when I make sure I watch something that is just good old fashioned entertainment.

It's impossible to call Vampyr, which I watched yesterday, just good old fashioned entertainment. This 1932 movie by Carl Dreyer is one of the weirdest horror films ever made. It was Dreyer's first sound film, but there's actually not much dialogue. It's just been released in the UK from a new restoration that took over ten years to do. The film was funded by Baron Nicolas de Gunzberg, who also stars in the film - credited as Julian West. Vampyr is based on Sheridan Le Fanu's short stories, and is a dreamlike and hallucinatory experience that, I confess, I still don't quite understand despite having seen it three or four times over the years. What can't be denied is that it's remarkably haunting and eerie, and the Baron's performance (such as it is) adds to that - and, despite a heterosexual coupling at the end of the film, he also brings a strange queerness to the film, too. It's difficult to like Vampyr, but it's difficult not to like it and be sucked in by the strangeness of the whole thing. The Eureka release - out this week - has copious extras and a good thick booklet, too.

Tonight, I returned to the 1925 silent version of The Phantom of the Opera with Lon Chaney. Well, actually it's 1929, as this is the reissue version from that year, which has some changes to the first issue. Oddly, I saw this when I was studying at university and just didn't get what the fuss was about, and then saw it again a couple of years back and suddenly DID get what the fuss is about. Chaney is superb in a performance where we never get to see his real face, so to speak, and the phantom here is not the semi-sympathetic character of the Claude Rains remake. There are problems with the film - mostly because of problems with the prints, and the current version we have is pulled together from prints of starkly different quality. But it's highly entertaining, and the lavish sets are quite remarkable. Plus there's that two-strip technicolor sequence, too, with Chaney entering dressed as death, wearing red from head to foot, together with a skeleton mask. The BFI blu-ray release is excellent, and has numerous extras and an interesting booklet.

pmp

Post by pmp »

I've been sticking with the silent film theme this week, for some reason. Two F W Murnau films over the last couple of days. The first was Schloss Vogelod, a murder mystery that doesn't require a great deal of ingenuity to work out whodunnit. Nicely filmed, though. That was followed by Nosferatu, the next film Murnau made. I have to say I didn't think much of it last time I saw it, but warmed to it more this time around, although I still don't think it's as good as its reputation.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Two horror movies over the weekend, more than 75 years apart.

I Walked With a Zombie was up first. Despite its title, this remains one of the eeriest and intelligent horror films ever made. It's loosely based on Jane Eyre. While Universal were churning out increasingly-mediocre monster sequels, Val Lewton at RKO was creating films like this, Cat People, and The Body Snatchers. I Walked With a Zombie is just beautifully done and, just like the other Lewton horrors, it's hard to tell what might be supernatural and what is just all in the mind. Viewed now as a classic, it certainly wasn't viewed that way when released in 1943. For me, it's simply stunning.

Tonight I saw Come Play, made in 2020, which is currently showing on Sky Movies. This is about a monster (called Larry, would you believe?) that comes after a young autistic boy, trying to get at him through the digital devices the boy uses to communicate. It has its problems, and it's not equal to the Lewton films, but there's much to enjoy here. The performances from the kids are superb, and the film manages to be genuinely creepy despite there not being any gory images in its 95 minute running time. It might be just a bit TOO low-key, but that's a minor flaw really, in a film that bucks the trend in recent horror movies of throwing everything at the third act of the film. That doesn't happen here, and the film is all the better for it.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Tonight I took a look at Young Torless, a German film from 1966 that I last saw a long time ago. The French blu ray from Gaumont looks excellent, I might add. As for the film, it's a tougher watch than I remembered. I think I have got perhaps a bit more mellow in my old age, and found these kinds of films a tougher watch. Set in a prestigious boarding school, Torless finds himself involved in a group of boys who take pleasure in humiliating another boy at the school. Torless doesn't get involved a great deal; he just watches, trying to understand what's happening from a psychological point of view. Much of the humiliation occurs off-camera, and perhaps this works better, leaving it to the imagination of the viewer as to what is going on. The film is made in stark black and white, and there are certain sequences and characters that remind me of "If..." which was made two years later. I had read the book of Young Torless many moons ago, and I seem to think the film is perhaps more explicit that there is something (homo)erotic going on - not through what we see, but through accounts of it told to other characters afterwards. Mathieu Carriere, just 16 when the film was made, is really quite stunning in the title role. A loose remake was made about twelve years ago called Teenage Angst, again a German film.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Two more films this week. Firstly The Leopard Man, one of the Val Lewton "horror" movies of the 1940s. This is a love or hate one from what I can gather. For me, after watching it again, it's the weakest of the entire series. Neither horror or even a decent whodunnit. The culprit is quite easy to work out from the twenty minute mark, which makes the film limp along to its unsurprising conclusion.

The other film was Diabolique, the famous French thriller of the 1950s which, for some reason, I'd never seen. It is as good as its reputation, and is very much a thriller in the Hitchcockian mode. To be fair to The Leopard Man, I don't think the big twist here is that much of a twist - it's the only way the film could end. But it's brilliantly made, and well worth a watch. Criterion have issued the blu ray.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Kramer Vs Kramer , made in 1979.

Loved the movie for decades but not so much now as it hasn't exactly stood the test of time.

especially cringeworthy was the silly, inconsequential scene where a nude JoBeth Williams is caught walking across the hallway
by 8 year old Justin Henry (Billy).

I would like to see a remake but perhaps from the perspective of the Meryl STREEP character. Maybe they could alter the story-line a bit more and provide a new reason she walked out on a husband and young son.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079417/trivia

MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by MikeFromHolland »

Watched The Tenant (1976) by and with Roman Polanski. It’s still a great watch with a fantastic ending.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

MikeFromHolland

pmp wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:31 am
Two more films this week. (..)

The other film was Diabolique, the famous French thriller of the 1950s which, for some reason, I'd never seen. It is as good as its reputation, and is very much a thriller in the Hitchcockian mode. To be fair to The Leopard Man, I don't think the big twist here is that much of a twist - it's the only way the film could end. But it's brilliantly made, and well worth a watch. Criterion have issued the blu ray.
Clouzot made some terrific films and Diabolique was surely one of them. Did you see the documentary about the making of his L’Enfer (Inferno), the film with Romy Schneider he never finished? Fascinating. He drove everybody insane with his working schedule and perfectionism.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

MikeFromHolland wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:23 pm

Watched The Tenant (1976) by and with Roman Polanski. It’s still a great watch with a fantastic ending.

Good one, Mike.

Your post brought back some memories as i have forgotten the horror movie. At least twenty three years since i saw it last, maybe 1998.

pmp

Post by pmp »

MikeFromHolland wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:32 pm
pmp wrote:

Clouzot made some terrific films and Diabolique was surely one of them. Did you see the documentary about the making of his L’Enfer (Inferno), the film with Romy Schneider he never finished? Fascinating. He drove everybody insane with his working schedule and perfectionism.

I seem to have avoided Clouzot's films entirely up to now. Not sure why certain things fly under out radar for some reason!

MikeFromHolland

pmp wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:51 pm
MikeFromHolland wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:32 pm
pmp wrote:

I seem to have avoided Clouzot's films entirely up to now. Not sure why certain things fly under out radar for some reason!
If you’ll ever come across Clouzot’s “La Vérité” (1960) with Brigitte Bardot you’ll be surprised how good it is. My absolute favorite of his (and her). The scene at the trial where Bardot totally gets loose, is unforgettable. It doesn’t look like acting at all. The overall story is very strong as well. Highly recommended.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

pmp

Post by pmp »

I rewatched House of Tomorrow this evening, which I first saw a year or so after it came out. Asa Butterfield stars in this, a coming-of-age story that offers little that is new, but is utter charming.

MikeFromHolland

Read this (very accurate, even on details) comic book:
19F80D09-82BC-4A4E-90F6-B69951710BF0.png

which inspired me to watch his A Woman of Paris (1923) last night, and it was still quite entertaining. Though he wasn’t in it, one could easily spot his sense of humor, while it actually is a dramatic film.

Wanted to post a trailer, but found this short docu instead:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Watched two Robert MITCHUM medical-related film noirs yesterday (Thurs).

ANGEL FACE (1952) and NOT AS A STRANGER (1955), the latter film , despite having a top-notch cast with Frank Sinatra, Olivia de Havilland, Charles Bickford and Lee Marvin, was too long , i thought (about 130 mins) and was produced by Stanley Kramer.

"Angel Face" by contrast, was by a far, much engrossing film that co-starred Jean SIMMONS in a unusual (for her) conniving role, which she was very good at. I would even go so far to say she upstages Mitchum !
Directed by Otto Preminger.

Any one here seen and liked (or even dislike) either Angel Face or Not as a Stranger ?

Spoilers alert...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044357/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048432/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

pmp

Post by pmp »

MikeFromHolland wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:22 pm

Read this (very accurate, even on details) comic book:

which inspired me to watch his A Woman of Paris (1923) last night, and it was still quite entertaining. Though he wasn’t in it, one could easily spot his sense of humor, while it actually is a dramatic film.

Wanted to post a trailer, but found this short docu instead:

I rather enjoy A Woman of Paris, too!

pmp

Post by pmp »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:32 am
Watched two Robert MITCHUM medical-related film noirs yesterday (Thurs).

ANGEL FACE (1952) and NOT AS A STRANGER (1955), the latter film , despite having a top-notch cast with Frank Sinatra, Olivia de Havilland, Charles Bickford and Lee Marvin, was too long , i thought (about 130 mins) and was produced by Stanley Kramer.

"Angel Face" by contrast, was by a far, much engrossing film that co-starred Jean SIMMONS in a unusual (for her) conniving role, which she was very good at. I would even go so far to say she upstages Mitchum !
Directed by Otto Preminger.

Any one here seen and liked (or even dislike) either Angel Face or Not as a Stranger ?

Spoilers alert...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044357/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048432/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I haven't seen Angel Face, to my knowledge. Not As a Stranger though is, I agree, rather hard work!

pmp

Post by pmp »

Last night I revisited Unman, Wittering and Zigo, a rather sinister thriller starring David Hemmings. He plays a teacher who arrives mid-term to take "class 5B" after their previous teacher had an accident and died. However, the class then tell their new teacher that they killed their previous one, and he had better do as they say or he and his wife will be next. Classrooms were clearly quite terrifying places in the late 1960s and early 1970s, if "If...," "Young Torless," "Child's Play" and this film are anything to go by. I like Unman Wittering and Zigo very much, but, having watched several David Hemmings films in the last few weeks, it's fair to say that there is a rather unpleasant sexist and misogynistic vibe running through all of his characters - beyond what you might expect for a fifty year old film. Quite why he kept taking these roles is something I'm not sure of, but it does leave one with a slightly bad taste in the mouth.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

this here is the trailer/promo for Angel face (1952)... forgot to add it on my previous post.

eric c
Registered for: 2 years 7 months

Post by eric c »

Out_of_the_Past_(1947_poster_-_retouched).jpg

ELVIS ROCKS

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Can i just add, a big thanks to pmp and his efforts in keeping this thread alive and active. Well done pmp!

BTW my friend the RKO "Angel Face" film is 100 percent recommended. Like i said in the post before, it's unusual to see Jean Simmons in a conniving role , and she does not disappoint, nuff said.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Watched another epic "In Harm's Way" - a 1965 black and white WWII movie and another one directed by Otto Preminger. The movie featured many famous names, led by John Wayne ,Patricia Neal, Kirk Douglas, Henry Fonda and Burgess Meredith.

The storyline was based in the Pacific and while it is a full-on patriotic drama , it does contain a love interest angle with Rear Admiral Torrey (John Wayne) and nurse Lieutenant Maggie Haines (Patricia Neal).
Need to check but this black and white epic must have been the final Wayne War-related movie and his last B/W.

An 9/10 for me.

spoiler alert...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059309/?ref_=tt_urv

Tang Lungs side kick
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by Tang Lungs side kick »

June 20th , 1977 : filming begins in OH/WV for Deer Hunter...... a sgd Cazale photo sold for whopping 8k recently , might be the only one he sgd during filming , he died before it came out (bone cancer)