Chat talk and light discussion

Moderators: FECC-Moderator, Moderator5, Moderator3, Site Mechanic

pmp
Registered for: 2 years

Re: last movie you watched

Post by pmp »

Greystoke wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:06 am
They did announce new restorations of Drunken Master II , The Tender Trap, The Yearling, The Private Lives of Elizabeth & Essex, Escape from Fort Bravo and Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream House, around the same time as the closure, although I haven't listened to the podcast yet -- the last one. I tried to when I was working today, but Alexa wouldn't play it for some reason.

Recent announcements have been really strong, but it seems as though it's a change in administration across the board, which is dubious in some ways. In many ways, in fact, given that there hasn't been a statement or a clear outline of what their plans are going forward. Why scrap the podcast?! Unless it has very, very few listeners, but it is publicity for the label and individual titles, most of which probably don't sell very many copies. Which has perhaps raised questions about sustainability if there's a whole new approach to archive titles being considered.

I do hope HMV will be able to secure more titles for their Premium Collection, but I'm on the cusp of buying up most of the titles I've been gradually catching up with. Just incase.
The 1951 Show Boat arrived last week, but there are a few I need to grab at some point.
Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

Greystoke
Registered for: 6 years 5 months

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:47 am
Greystoke wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:06 am
They did announce new restorations of Drunken Master II , The Tender Trap, The Yearling, The Private Lives of Elizabeth & Essex, Escape from Fort Bravo and Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream House, around the same time as the closure, although I haven't listened to the podcast yet -- the last one. I tried to when I was working today, but Alexa wouldn't play it for some reason.

Recent announcements have been really strong, but it seems as though it's a change in administration across the board, which is dubious in some ways. In many ways, in fact, given that there hasn't been a statement or a clear outline of what their plans are going forward. Why scrap the podcast?! Unless it has very, very few listeners, but it is publicity for the label and individual titles, most of which probably don't sell very many copies. Which has perhaps raised questions about sustainability if there's a whole new approach to archive titles being considered.

I do hope HMV will be able to secure more titles for their Premium Collection, but I'm on the cusp of buying up most of the titles I've been gradually catching up with. Just incase.
The 1951 Show Boat arrived last week, but there are a few I need to grab at some point.
That's one I will get round to buying, too. I do think there may be some DVDs that won't get an upgrade any time soon, but I do see Ride the High Country available at HMV now via their Premium Collection. It looks like a single new addition to their range, though.

keninlincs
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Yesterday was Hammer Time with these 3 films revisited
"Crescendo"A real oddity starring James Olson as a wheelchair bound heroin addict
"Night Creatures" AKA "Captain Clegg" with Peter Cushing and Oliver Reed in one of my favourite Hammer Non Horror movies.
"The Witches" with Joan Fontaine and Leonard Rossiter,a very interesting film that i had not seen in years.all in all a good days viewing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-instagram kenh1964

pmp

Post by pmp »

keninlincs wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:33 pm
"Crescendo"A real oddity starring James Olson as a wheelchair bound heroin addict
"Night Creatures" AKA "Captain Clegg" with Peter Cushing and Oliver Reed in one of my favourite Hammer Non Horror movies.
"The Witches" with Joan Fontaine and Leonard Rossiter,a very interesting film that i had not seen in years.all in all a good days viewing
I'm not a huge lover of Hammer, but I'm very fond of The Witches. It's a kind of folk-horror that almost works as a precursor to The Wicker Man in some respects. You can certainly how it sowed the seeds for the later film. I have Night of the Eagle to watch, too, which is a remake of the Inner Sanctum movie Weird Woman, which I rewatched a few days ago.

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

pmp wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:40 pm
keninlincs wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:33 pm
I'm not a huge lover of Hammer, but I'm very fond of The Witches. It's a kind of folk-horror that almost works as a precursor to The Wicker Man in some respects. You can certainly how it sowed the seeds for the later film. I have Night of the Eagle to watch, too, which is a remake of the Inner Sanctum movie Weird Woman, which I rewatched a few days ago.
I will look out for night of the eagle,i have twice told tales with me so will be watching that again soon,more hammer tonight and maybe start Universal legacy collections probably start with Dracula and watch all of the monster cycle in order,classic easy viewing.
-instagram kenh1964

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Just watched "The curse of Frankenstein" With Cushing and Lee on great form again as the Baron and the creature another Hammer classic!
Now im moving back in time to the 30s and 40s and spending some time with the Original masters of monsterdom,Boris,Bela and Chaney for a few days
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-instagram kenh1964

MrMisery
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by MrMisery »

Man, you guys are pretty crazy to watch all these horror movies during your Easter break :mrgreen: Instead, I try to fight the depressing weather (and lockdown situation) these days here in Germany (no sunshine at all, it's grey and cold outside) with light, colorful films. So today I chose the ultimate Hawaii travel promotional film: "Blue Hawaii".
:smt006
Once and for all: Sorry for my bad english :wink:

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I watched Fuzz last night, which I think I've only ever seen on VHS -- the 1972 police story set in Boston, which stars Burt Reynolds, Tom Skerritt and Raquel Welch. It's an ensemble, though, with various strands barely hanging together in a film that deliberately has a skewed tone. Which is to its detriment when off beat simply plays more as uneven and ramshackle. It doesn't work, in my opinion. And often feels like a skit or under-rehearsed.

It's pretty stupid, too -- and yet for all its leering, especially at Welch. There are attempts to be progressive and current, such as a casually off-hand racial slur being met with a physical reply. Or Burt’s mute wife and her use of sign language -- which isn't especially well handled and does play like a plot device, given that the major villain, played by Yul Brynner, needs a hearing aid.

However, neither character are treated like novelties, although Yul is too heavy for such an insubstantial role. His character progressing from assassin to terrorist. This, whilst two kids are setting fire to tramps on the street, and there's a serial rapist going around -- cue Raquel. Whose character is pretty useless. But no more than any of the men on the force. Burt and Jack Weston even dress as nuns to go undercover in the Boston Gardens. Raquel gets to roll around in a sleeping bag in broad daylight with Skerritt at this stage.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

MrMisery wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:21 pm
Man, you guys are pretty crazy to watch all these horror movies during your Easter break :mrgreen: Instead, I try to fight the depressing weather (and lockdown situation) these days here in Germany (no sunshine at all, it's grey and cold outside) with light, colorful films. So today I chose the ultimate Hawaii travel promotional film: "Blue Hawaii".
Easter break?! I'm working. Well . . . the work is kinda there whilst I post on here and think about what films I'll be watching when I'm done. Horror I'm thinking.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Tonight I watched Wolfen (1981), which is part of the HMV premium range of blu rays. What I saw was certainly not what I expected, but this is a fine and intelligent thriller, that could easily have gone down the horror/werewolf route but doesn't do so. Albert Finney is excellent as the troubled detective (is there any other kind?) and Gregory Hines is very good too. But the real star here is the location shooting in New York - although apparently the ruined church in the film was built and burned specifically! As for Finney, it's quite striking to note that he was only 44 or 45 when this was made, as he looks considerably older, just as he did in Looker, made at around the same time. The blu ray picture is excellent, but I had to turn the sound right up to be able to hear it. Hopefully that's just the blu ray and not player!

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Got The Set Up for a decent 16.00 on Amazon -- gradually going to make a move on some of those Warner Archive titles that I'm still after. I do see a lot of older releases aren't available, although they may have been in the WA shop.
SET-UP.jpg

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

MrMisery wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:21 pm
Im not on easter break im detained in hospital.Blue Hawaii is a film i enjoy though.
-instagram kenh1964

pmp

Post by pmp »

Greystoke wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:12 am
Got The Set Up for a decent 16.00 on Amazon -- gradually going to make a move on some of those Warner Archive titles that I'm still after. I do see a lot of older releases aren't available, although they may have been in the WA shop.

It's very difficult to actually find stuff on eBay, alas, especially it you're browsing.

WowHD is always worth a look, as there's no postage, and the prices sometimes go as £12. They seem intent on adding VAT on to that these days, but that still works out at about £15 or £16.

https://www.wowhd.co.uk/search?mod=AV&ft=3D+Blu-ray%7cBlu-ray&lb=Warner+Archives#!?pagenum=1&sortby=PriceLowHigh

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I watched Moon of the Wolf tonight, which is on YouTube in watchable enough quality for a 1972 television movie, although it's pretty weak to be fair. With a soapy, Peyton Place quality in a southern town, where the locals live in the shadow of a colonial mansion and a rich brother and sister.

A young girl is found dead. The doctor looking into her death is hiding things. And the local cop can't get any answers. It's all pretty obvious stuff, with the eventual appearance of the werewolf being concealed by blurred images and sharp cuts. Although it's clear that Lon Chaney, Jr. is the inspiration -- only for him to look more like Joe Cocker when he's eventually seen.

There's no attempt to gain much sympathy, if any, for the wolfman -- this is taken from the side of an investigation, and that's how it plays out, like a television murder mystery. Underwhelming and a drag at around 72 minutes.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:58 pm
Tonight I watched Wolfen (1981), which is part of the HMV premium range of blu rays. What I saw was certainly not what I expected, but this is a fine and intelligent thriller, that could easily have gone down the horror/werewolf route but doesn't do so. Albert Finney is excellent as the troubled detective (is there any other kind?) and Gregory Hines is very good too. But the real star here is the location shooting in New York - although apparently the ruined church in the film was built and burned specifically! As for Finney, it's quite striking to note that he was only 44 or 45 when this was made, as he looks considerably older, just as he did in Looker, made at around the same time. The blu ray picture is excellent, but I had to turn the sound right up to be able to hear it. Hopefully that's just the blu ray and not player!
Finney was one of those actors that looked older than his years. Although quite a few actors had old fashioned styles before their time -- which was or is a sign of the times. Especially in the 1970s.

I'm reminded of Paul Stewart in King Creole, who was cast in the wrong role in any regard, asking Jan Shepard what a forty year-old says to a twenty year-old, or something to that effect. Stewart was an old-looking 49, never mind suggesting this character was ten years younger.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Greystoke wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:16 am
pmp wrote:
Finney was one of those actors that looked older than his years. Although quite a few actors had old fashioned styles before their time -- which was or is a sign of the times. Especially in the 1970s.

I'm reminded of Paul Stewart in King Creole, who was cast in the wrong role in any regard, asking Jan Shepard what a forty year-old says to a twenty year-old, or something to that effect. Stewart was an old-looking 49, never mind suggesting this character was ten years younger.
Yes, it's very strange. It's the same for the father in the Jolson Story, played by Ludwig Donath. He was only 46, too. He was probably made to look a bit older as the film progressed, though. But he doesn't look a day older in 1966 for Torn Curtain. It's also hard to believe that Matthau was only 38 in King Creole. Some hard lives were being lived, I think!

On the other extreme, Dirk Bogarde was made up to look older in order to play his own age for Victim. But hey, I'm still rather woozy at whoever-it-was assuming I was in my twenties last year on here!

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:25 am
Greystoke wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:16 am
pmp wrote:

Yes, it's very strange. It's the same for the father in the Jolson Story, played by Ludwig Donath. He was only 46, too. He was probably made to look a bit older as the film progressed, though. But he doesn't look a day older in 1966 for Torn Curtain. It's also hard to believe that Matthau was only 38 in King Creole. Some hard lives were being lived, I think!

On the other extreme, Dirk Bogarde was made up to look older in order to play his own age for Victim. But hey, I'm still rather woozy at whoever-it-was assuming I was in my twenties last year on here!
I think Matthau was miscast in King Creole and would have made for a better choice as Charlie LeGrand -- with Stewart as Maxie Fields. The ages would have been right in that regard, but they would have been better suited to those respective roles. Especially Stewart.

There was different ideas about maturity at that time, of course, although age could be a limiting factor, as it still is in some respects. Bette Davis even took out an ad to find work. Which speaks volumes not only in this regard, but perhaps to her financial situation by the early-sixties. She was around 54 at the time. The same year she appeared in What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?. She was still mobile at least.

Capture+_2021-04-01-14-27-50-1.png

Rob
Registered for: 5 years 2 months

Post by Rob »

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Netflix just dropped a teaser for season two of their Selena series, which I enjoyed a great deal. It's pretty ethereal, and surreal to some degree, without heavily foreshadowing future events. This is the Houston Astrodome set. It will be interesting to see how they've recreated this iconic performance.

MrMisery
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by MrMisery »

keninlincs wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:16 am
Im not on easter break im detained in hospital.Blue Hawaii is a film i enjoy though.
I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you get well soon!

Today I watched "That Touch of Mink" (1962) with Doris Day and Cary Grant.
Funniest line: "I drew up a list of eligible bachelors and he turned them all down [...] He even turned him down" - "Rock Hudson?" :lol:
Once and for all: Sorry for my bad english :wink:

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I'm still finding the new version of Magnum P.I. to be entertaining and over three seasons, it has managed to find increasingly more depth for something that is episodic by nature, and by design. The cast is really good and that Fast & Furious sensibility it had early on has been retained. It doesn't have the broader scope or cinematic production values, or acting, of the better series in recent years, but it's an enjoyable hour every Sunday night.

ForeverElvis
Registered for: 18 years

Post by ForeverElvis »

Greystoke wrote:I'm still finding the new version of Magnum P.I. to be entertaining and over three seasons, it has managed to find increasingly more depth for something that is episodic by nature, and by design. The cast is really good and that Fast & Furious sensibility it had early on has been retained. It doesn't have the broader scope or cinematic production values, or acting, of the better series in recent years, but it's an enjoyable hour every Sunday night.
Agree with you.

My Dad and I watched the Tom Selleck original every week and when this new series started I was ready to ridicule it in comparison. But, the makers made a specific change which made this a different series. They changed the Higgins/Magnum relationship. Not only in Higgins’ gender but the relationship dynamic.

The charisma that Selleck and Hillerman created together is rare. The sense of fun, one ups man ship, camaraderie, depth and sense of family they found in the writing and brought to their work on screen couldn’t be duplicated on the new show. Trying would have doomed this new iteration in its first season.

The new show is; slick, well photographed, fast paced, decently written. It gives the ensemble a good character moment each, quite often outside of the two leads. Bringing depth and an extra dimension to the characters.

I will say that the character of Kumu played by Amy Hill seems wholly unnecessary, I’m not sure why the character exists.

My hope for the series is that they don’t jump the shark and get magnum and Higgins together romantically.
Always Elvis
Anthony

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

ForeverElvis wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:14 pm
Greystoke wrote:I'm still finding the new version of Magnum P.I. to be entertaining and over three seasons, it has managed to find increasingly more depth for something that is episodic by nature, and by design. The cast is really good and that Fast & Furious sensibility it had early on has been retained. It doesn't have the broader scope or cinematic production values, or acting, of the better series in recent years, but it's an enjoyable hour every Sunday night.
Agree with you.

My Dad and I watched the Tom Selleck original every week and when this new series started I was ready to ridicule it in comparison. But, the makers made a specific change which made this a different series. They changed the Higgins/Magnum relationship. Not only in Higgins’ gender but the relationship dynamic.

The charisma that Selleck and Hillerman created together is rare. The sense of fun, one ups man ship, camaraderie, depth and sense of family they found in the writing and brought to their work on screen couldn’t be duplicated on the new show. Trying would have doomed this new iteration in its first season.

The new show is; slick, well photographed, fast paced, decently written. It gives the ensemble a good character moment each, quite often outside of the two leads. Bringing depth and an extra dimension to the characters.

I will say that the character of Kumu played by Amy Hill seems wholly unnecessary, I’m not sure why the character exists.

My hope for the series is that they don’t jump the shark and get magnum and Higgins together romantically.
I like the cultural identity and understanding Kumu brings to the show -- and also being a Mrs. Hudson-type character. And I reckon Magnum and Higgins will get together at some point, which I'll be fine with. It's obvious. But it's hardly a daring show. Or subversive. I'll be interested to see if Robin Masters makes an on screen appearance, and who that may be, if that's the case. Orson Welles played Robin Masters in the 1980s series.

ForeverElvis
Registered for: 18 years

Post by ForeverElvis »

Greystoke wrote:
ForeverElvis wrote:
Agree with you.

I like the cultural identity and understanding Kumu brings to the show -- and also being a Mrs. Hudson-type character. And I reckon Magnum and Higgins will get together at some point, which I'll be fine with. It's obvious. But it's hardly a daring show. Or subversive. I'll be interested to see if Robin Masters makes an on screen appearance, and who that may be, if that's the case. Orson Welles played Robin Masters in the 1980s series.
Maybe cultural identity is the sole purpose of this character. It’s just in most episodes the character has so little to do that if kumu wasn’t in the scene she wouldn’t be missed.

If they get magnum/Higgins together romantically on a permanent basis it becomes a show about a PI couple (aka Hart to Hart) rather than a partnership. It would also lose the sexual tension that exists between them.
Always Elvis
Anthony

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

ForeverElvis wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:04 pm
Greystoke wrote:
ForeverElvis wrote:
Agree with you.

Maybe cultural identity is the sole purpose of this character. It’s just in most episodes the character has so little to do that if kumu wasn’t in the scene she wouldn’t be missed.

If they get magnum/Higgins together romantically on a permanent basis it becomes a show about a PI couple (aka Hart to Hart) rather than a partnership. It would also lose the sexual tension that exists between them.
I can see them getting together more as an end game and a means to an end, than taking the series down the route of them being a working couple for a prolonged period.