last movie you watched

Chat talk and light discussion

Moderators: FECC-Moderator, Moderator5, Moderator3, Site Mechanic

Greystoke
Registered for: 6 years 5 months

Re: last movie you watched

Post by Greystoke »

It's good to hear that Hitchcock’s Stage Fright has been approved for a restoration or a remaster by Warner Archive, this, according to their final podcast. They hadn't pulled the negative at the time of recording, and it will probably be 2022 due to the fact that it can take 8 months to a year for a quality restoration to be undertaken, but this is encouraging.

That's Dancing also came up in the discussion, but it's not planned or likely to be released on Blu-ray any time soon, due to where the rights lie for various clips.

They are hoping for more Goldwyn restorations with help from the Film Foundation and the Academy, which, again, is encouraging. As is a suggestion that some Garbo films will come to Blu-ray in 2022 or 2023.

Artwork for Drunken Master II has also been released. This is a very exciting title.

IMG_20210405_213723.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ForeverElvis
Registered for: 18 years

last movie you watched

Post by ForeverElvis »

Greystoke wrote:It's good to hear that Hitchcock’s Stage Fright has been approved for a restoration or a remaster by Warner Archive, this, according to their final podcast. They hadn't pulled the negative at the time of recording, and it will probably be 2022 due to the fact that it can take 8 months to a year for a quality restoration to be undertaken, but this is encouraging.

That's Dancing also came up in the discussion, but it's not planned or likely to be released on Blu-ray any time soon, due to where the rights lie for various clips.

They are hoping for more Goldwyn restorations with help from the Film Foundation and the Academy, which, again, is encouraging. As is a suggestion that some Garbo films will come to Blu-ray in 2022 or 2023.

Artwork for Drunken Master II has also been released. This is a very exciting title.

IMG_20210405_213723.jpg
I’ve not listened to it yet but is there a restoration of “PL of Liz and Essex” coming? I saw the HD open on the channel.
Last edited by ForeverElvis on Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always Elvis
Anthony

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I watched Countdown tonight, the 2019 horror film about an app that tells the person who downloads it, how long they have to live. For some, it's years. Others, days. Even hours. As depicted in a prologue where a group of teens at a party, discover the app and download it as a dare.

The story, however, centres around a young nurse, who first learns of the app through a patient, and one of the kids at the party. He's soon dead. She downloads the app. Then there's a curse upon her.

Essentially, this is a reworking of any number of similar urban legends in horror cinema, from Night of the Demon, to Ringu, Final Destination, It Follows, etc. Although it's an expansion of a short film of the same name, by the same writer and director, Justin Dec, which I also watched afterwards.

The problem here, is that it works better as an idea, and as a short, but doesn't translate well into a feature because there's little to work with. Certainly in original terms, despite the originality of an app being the catalyst for some gruesome deaths. But this is no different to the runes in Night of the Demon or a videotape in Ringu -- less a better crafted story around the premise.

The cast tries, and there's an amusing salesman who sells a new phone to Elizabeth Lail’s Quinn, who plays the nurse. Although he has one scene too many. There's also an amusingly eager priest, who listens to hip-hop and snacks on sacramental bread whilst waiting on a food order, only to be interrupted by a desperate Quinn. But it's a film with little flavour and poor plotting, and is so obvious at times, that it feels like a pastiche. Whilst a distinct lack of suspense and chills is further hindered by a skewed tone.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

ForeverElvis wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:55 am
Greystoke wrote:It's good to hear that Hitchcock’s Stage Fright has been approved for a restoration or a remaster by Warner Archive, this, according to their final podcast. They hadn't pulled the negative at the time of recording, and it will probably be 2022 due to the fact that it can take 8 months to a year for a quality restoration to be undertaken, but this is encouraging.

IMG_20210405_213723.jpg
I’ve not listened to it yet but is there a restoration of “PL of Liz and Essex” coming? I saw the had open on the channel.
It isn't mentioned on this episode and I'm not sure if it's a restoration yet, but it's on their slate for May, along with Drunken Master II, The Yearling, Mr. Blanding Builds his Dream House, They Won't Believe Me, and Escape from Fort Bravo.

pmp
Registered for: 1 year 11 months

Post by pmp »

Greystoke wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:15 am
It's good to hear that Hitchcock’s Stage Fright has been approved for a restoration or a remaster by Warner Archive, this, according to their final podcast. They hadn't pulled the negative at the time of recording, and it will probably be 2022 due to the fact that it can take 8 months to a year for a quality restoration to be undertaken, but this is encouraging.

Garbo's absence is rather startling, to be honest, although Warner Archive did some fine DVD releases of both her silent and sound films. But Warner Archive has almost totally avoided silent films on blu ray. The only exception I know of is the re-release of The Big Parade. Certainly Flesh and the Devil starring Garbo and John Gilbert would be an obvious choice. And strangely, the 1927 Student Prince of Old Heidelberg starring Ramon Novarro has never been released on DVD even. The same is true of Greed, although that's now in the public domain, and that may stop it being released, I suppose, in case they fear other labels using the restoration. But sometimes the absences are more notable than the things released.

Good to see that Stage Fright will be looked at. It's not my favourite Hitchcock by any means, but I saw it around Christmas, I think, and enjoyed it. I'm still shocked we haven't got Spellbound, Notorious and Rebecca on blu ray in the UK. That just seems ludicrous more than a decade into the blu ray era.
Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:31 am
Greystoke wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:15 am

Garbo's absence is rather startling, to be honest, although Warner Archive did some fine DVD releases of both her silent and sound films. But Warner Archive has almost totally avoided silent films on blu ray. The only exception I know of is the re-release of The Big Parade. Certainly Flesh and the Devil starring Garbo and John Gilbert would be an obvious choice. And strangely, the 1927 Student Prince of Old Heidelberg starring Ramon Novarro has never been released on DVD even. The same is true of Greed, although that's now in the public domain, and that may stop it being released, I suppose, in case they fear other labels using the restoration. But sometimes the absences are more notable than the things released.

Good to see that Stage Fright will be looked at. It's not my favourite Hitchcock by any means, but I saw it around Christmas, I think, and enjoyed it. I'm still shocked we haven't got Spellbound, Notorious and Rebecca on blu ray in the UK. That just seems ludicrous more than a decade into the blu ray era.
This actually came up to some degree in the last podcast, in respect to decisions made that have left certain eras in the lurch, and from what was said, it seems as though they wanted to specifically focus on the thirties and forties. Although there's been great releases of films right up to the 1990s on the label.

With regards to Notorious at least, I saw the new 4K remaster at a cinema screening in 2019, and thought a 4K disc or at least an upgraded Blu-ray would have been released by now. It looks fantastic. They also mentioned Mr. and Mrs. Smith, although I would have to listen again to hear exactly what they said about that one, but it's an RKO film and Warners do have the rights now.

The Garbo films that are on DVD mostly look really good, as you've said. Although I haven't watched any of her films in a while -- but several are crying out for a restoration and a Blu-ray release.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Another new trailer -- this time for Loki. Which I'm really looking forward to. It's good to see Owen Wilson in the MCU, and this has a Kafkaesque quality to it. Pretty intriguing. And I'm really liking where The Falcon and the Winter Soldier is going. Episode three was very good.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex Blu-ray from Warner Archive is indeed a new restoration, as is The Tender Trap. But that artwork. Yikes!!!

Capture+_2021-04-06-02-25-17-1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

Greystoke wrote:The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex Blu-ray from Warner Archive is indeed a new restoration, as is The Tender Trap. But that artwork. Yikes!!!

Where did you see info for Essex?
Always Elvis
Anthony

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

ForeverElvis wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:48 am
Greystoke wrote:The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex Blu-ray from Warner Archive is indeed a new restoration, as is The Tender Trap. But that artwork. Yikes!!!

The press release. It's on various sites now.

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

This should look great on BluRay

Coming July 20th!

Unconquered (1947)
• Audio Commentary by Film Critic Nick Pinkerton
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

Legendary director Cecil B. DeMille (The Sign of the Cross, Cleopatra, The Ten Commandments) delivers his trademark lavish spectacle, sizzling romance and intense drama in the grand historical epic Unconquered. Screen icon Gary Cooper (The Plainsman, High Noon) stars as peace-loving Chris Holden, an 18th-century militiaman who buys and then frees beautiful English slave Abby Hale (Paulette Goddard, The Cat and the Canary, Reap the Wild Wind). When a supplier of illegal firearms covets Abby for himself, he sparks a vicious battle between a Native American tribe and a few brave colonists. The eye-popping Technicolor cinematography by Ray Rennahan (Gone with the Wind) vividly captures the early American frontier. The star-studded supporting cast includes Howard Da Silva (The Lost Weekend), Boris Karloff (Frankenstein), Cecil Kellaway (Female on the Beach), Ward Bond (Canyon Passage), Henry Wilcoxon (Caddyshack), C. Aubrey Smith (Love Me Tonight), Virginia Grey (Madame X) and Mike Mazurki (I Walk Alone).
Unconquered.jpg
Always Elvis
Anthony

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

ForeverElvis wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:00 am
This should look great on BluRay

Coming July 20th!

Unconquered (1947)
• Audio Commentary by Film Critic Nick Pinkerton
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

Legendary director Cecil B. DeMille (The Sign of the Cross, Cleopatra, The Ten Commandments) delivers his trademark lavish spectacle, sizzling romance and intense drama in the grand historical epic Unconquered. Screen icon Gary Cooper (The Plainsman, High Noon) stars as peace-loving Chris Holden, an 18th-century militiaman who buys and then frees beautiful English slave Abby Hale (Paulette Goddard, The Cat and the Canary, Reap the Wild Wind). When a supplier of illegal firearms covets Abby for himself, he sparks a vicious battle between a Native American tribe and a few brave colonists. The eye-popping Technicolor cinematography by Ray Rennahan (Gone with the Wind) vividly captures the early American frontier. The star-studded supporting cast includes Howard Da Silva (The Lost Weekend), Boris Karloff (Frankenstein), Cecil Kellaway (Female on the Beach), Ward Bond (Canyon Passage), Henry Wilcoxon (Caddyshack), C. Aubrey Smith (Love Me Tonight), Virginia Grey (Madame X) and Mike Mazurki (I Walk Alone).

Kino are certainly consistent. It's already had a European release, but I would expect more from Kino.

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

Greystoke wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:49 am
ForeverElvis wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:48 am

The press release. It's on various sites now.
found it!

THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH & ESSEX (1939) New 2021 1080p HD Master sourced from 4k scan of Original Technicolor Negatives!

Run Time 106:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English, MONO - English
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1, 4x3 FULL FRAME
Disc Configuration BD 50

SPECIAL FEATURES: Leonard Maltin Hosts Warner Night at the Movies 1939 with Newsreel, Musical Short "The Royal Rodeo", Cartoon "Old Glory" and Theatrical Trailer; Featurette "Elizabeth and Essex: Battle Royale"
Bette Davis and Errol Flynn made The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex fascinatingly public, striking sparks in this lavish Technicolor® tale of the ill-fated love between the aging Elizabeth I and the dashing Earl of Essex. Thoroughly unglamorous here – eyes and hairline shaved, face painted chalky white – double Academy Award® winner* Davis exudes such intelligence, energy and ardor that her romance with the decades-younger Essex (Flynn at the peak of his remarkable good looks and athletic verve) is completely believable. Based on Maxwell Anderson’s play Elizabeth the Queen and directed by Michael Curtiz, this nominee for five Oscars® takes liberties with historical accuracy, but none with dramatic impact. Long may these tempestuous, titled lovers reign!
Elizabeth and essex.jpg
Always Elvis
Anthony

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

Another one to look forward to:

MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAMHOUSE (1948) New 2021 1080p HD Master sourced from 4k scan of Original Nitrate Camera Negative!

Run Time 94:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English, MONO - English
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1, 4x3 FULL FRAME
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: Classic Cartoon: "House of Tomorrow"; Lux Radio Theater with Cary Grant and Irene Dunne; Screen Director's Playhouse with Betsy Drake and Cary Grant (radio program); Theatrical Trailer

New York adman Jim Blandings is ready to say goodbye to his cramped city apartment and build, from the ground up, a Connecticut home with room enough for his growing family and dreams. All it will cost him is his time and money…and perhaps his job, marriage, happiness and what’s left of his sanity. Goodbye, Manhattan. Hello, comedy. As Jim, Cary Grant is a flustered poster boy for homeowner anxiety in this gleeful laughfest. Myrna Loy, her voice and line phrasing like musical chimes, plays Jim’s ever-patient wife. Louise Beavers is the sunny housemaid whose enthusiasm for Wham Ham saves Jim’s career bacon. And Melvyn Douglas is the perhaps-too-friendly family friend. “Drop in and see us sometime,” Jim says. Invitation accepted!
Blandings.jpg
Always Elvis
Anthony

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

I also saw announcements for:

Coming 2021!
Brand New 4K Restoration by Universal Pictures!
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923) Starring Lon Chaney, Patsy Ruth Miller, Norman Kerry & Kate Lester – Based on the Novel by Victor Hugo (Les Misérables) – Directed by Wallace Worsley (The Penalty).

and

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!
Brand New HD Master from a 2K Scan of the Interpositive!
Flower Drum Song (1961) Starring Nancy Kwan, James Shigeta, Benson Fong, Jack Soo & James Hong – Shot by Russell Metty (Touch of Evil) – Screenplay by Joseph Fields (Gentleman Prefer Blondes) – Directed by Henry Koster (The Robe, The Bishop’s Wife).
Always Elvis
Anthony

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

ForeverElvis wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:26 am
I also saw announcements for:

Coming 2021!
Brand New 4K Restoration by Universal Pictures!
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923) Starring Lon Chaney, Patsy Ruth Miller, Norman Kerry & Kate Lester – Based on the Novel by Victor Hugo (Les Misérables) – Directed by Wallace Worsley (The Penalty).

and

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!
Brand New HD Master from a 2K Scan of the Interpositive!
Flower Drum Song (1961) Starring Nancy Kwan, James Shigeta, Benson Fong, Jack Soo & James Hong – Shot by Russell Metty (Touch of Evil) – Screenplay by Joseph Fields (Gentleman Prefer Blondes) – Directed by Henry Koster (The Robe, The Bishop’s Wife).
Both have had tentative release dates for a while now, but it will be interesting to see what The Hunchback of Notre Dame looks like, although I would like to see it with the tint removed, which worked wonders for Nosferatu.

keninlincs
Registered for: 12 years 9 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Last night i revisited Tod Browning's "Dracula"from 1931 with Bela Lugosi, had not seen it for many years,still looks good 90 years after it was made.
-instagram kenh1964

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

keninlincs wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:11 pm
Last night i revisited Tod Browning's "Dracula"from 1931 with Bela Lugosi, had not seen it for many years,still looks good 90 years after it was made.
I think it looks fantastic on Blu-ray, too, Ken.

ForeverElvis

last movie you watched

Post by ForeverElvis »

keninlincs wrote:Last night i revisited Tod Browning's "Dracula"from 1931 with Bela Lugosi, had not seen it for many years,still looks good 90 years after it was made.
I’ve been watching a few 80’s and 90’s Kurt Russell films the last few days. I revisited “Breakdown” (1997) the other day. This still holds up as a solid little thriller involving a cross country trip and a kidnapping. I think it is one of Russell’s best performances. JT Walsh is also excellent.

In contrast I tried to sit through 1989’s “Tango & Cash” tonight. My goodness what crap used to pass for entertainment. I remember liking this when I saw it in Cinemas 32 years ago.....what the hell drug I was on I don’t know.

A poor man’s Lethal Weapon. The writing is terrible. It goes from one bad pun to another. This isn’t dialogue it’s a succession of sound bites they could use in the trailer.

The plot is simple - bad guys frame cop duo that is causing them most trouble. Cops break out of prison, get help from a very young Teri Hatcher and ...........

This is where I fell asleep. I never fall asleep watching a film. But, this campy drivel for simpletons couldn’t hold my attention.

I can NOT recommend this any stronger.

The other night I watched, with Russell again, “Soldier” (1998). I hadn’t seen this. A standard, tired SciFi about a super soldier thrown away by the military to a garbage planet. He eventually has to defend the settlement there from extinction by those that tossed him aside. But not before we are bored with scenes of the Soldier trying to fit in with the settlers. Real mundane dialogue and narrative structure here. Unimaginative direction - Blade Runner this isn’t, the final confrontation plays out a bit like Predator with Schwarzenegger. There are much better movies in Russell’s filmography. Russell has 104 words of dialogue in total.

Russell has been a very solid actor since 1962 and has grown into character roles in recent years. With over 100 films to his credit I look forward to what might be next.

For me - “Big Trouble In Little China”
Always Elvis
Anthony

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I'm hoping Arrow has a UHD release of Big Trouble in Little China to come, although I'm sure The Thing will be on UHD sooner rather than later. It's 30 years old in 2022, whilst there is a new 4K master, which was supervised by John Carpenter and was used for Arrow’s Blu-ray release, which looks incredible, incidentally.

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

Greystoke wrote:I'm hoping Arrow has a UHD release of Big Trouble in Little China to come, although I'm sure The Thing will be on UHD sooner rather than later. It's 30 years old in 2022, whilst there is a new 4K master, which was supervised by John Carpenter and was used for Arrow’s Blu-ray release, which looks incredible, incidentally.
Interestingly, in 1982 “The Thing” got lousy reviews and poor box office. I remember being surprised that the theatre was empty when I went it’s first week.

I really liked the film then and now.
Always Elvis
Anthony

pmp
Registered for: 1 year 11 months

Post by pmp »

Tonight I saw Amityville: The Awakening, which is one of the dullest, most ridiculous, and not to mention tasteless films I have seen for some considerable time. Quite how Jennifer Jason Leigh and Thomas Mann (at the height of his film career) got involved in such cobblers is a complete mystery - much more mysterious than the film.

Leigh, her two daughters and her brain-dead son move into the infamous house and odd things start happening. That's roughly it. Using the ill son as the centre of the events is reminiscent of A Haunting in Connecticut, but that looks like a masterpiece compared to this. The movie looks like it might get vaguely interesting for all of about five minutes in a meta type of way when the earlier films are talked about and the friends of one of the daughters bring the dvd over to the house to watch, but then it all gets silly as you realise that somehow the daughter has never heard of the films, the house or the case, which seems a little unlikely.

According to Wikipedia, the release of the film was pushed back 6 times over the course of three years, and had reshoots some two years after it was originally meant to be released - and we thought Death on the Nile had problems.
Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

ForeverElvis wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:17 pm
Greystoke wrote:I'm hoping Arrow has a UHD release of Big Trouble in Little China to come, although I'm sure The Thing will be on UHD sooner rather than later. It's 30 years old in 2022, whilst there is a new 4K master, which was supervised by John Carpenter and was used for Arrow’s Blu-ray release, which looks incredible, incidentally.
Interestingly, in 1982 “The Thing” got lousy reviews and poor box office. I remember being surprised that the theatre was empty when I went it’s first week.

I really liked the film then and now.
Reviews and box office returns often say absolutely nothing about how good a film is, and are rarely indicative of how any film may endure. As I've said before -- who is saying what, and why, is important to consider. And whilst even the most astute of film journalists can get it wrong, time and place can be a determining factor, too. Which has a bearing on how well audiences will accept a film. This being further to my point about the pitfalls of test screenings.

Take this review of Evil Dead. Not only does the writer fail to understand the film, she doesn't understand its audience, yet it's tarred with a typically provocative headline, as was common in reviews of horror films at the time. The same was true of The Thing and even Big Trouble in Little China, in fact.

IMG_20210304_143521.jpg

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:02 am
Tonight I saw Amityville: The Awakening, which is one of the dullest, most ridiculous, and not to mention tasteless films I have seen for some considerable time. Quite how Jennifer Jason Leigh and Thomas Mann (at the height of his film career) got involved in such cobblers is a complete mystery - much more mysterious than the film.

Leigh, her two daughters and her brain-dead son move into the infamous house and odd things start happening. That's roughly it. Using the ill son as the centre of the events is reminiscent of A Haunting in Connecticut, but that looks like a masterpiece compared to this. The movie looks like it might get vaguely interesting for all of about five minutes in a meta type of way when the earlier films are talked about and the friends of one of the daughters bring the dvd over to the house to watch, but then it all gets silly as you realise that somehow the daughter has never heard of the films, the house or the case, which seems a little unlikely.

According to Wikipedia, the release of the film was pushed back 6 times over the course of three years, and had reshoots some two years after it was originally meant to be released - and we thought Death on the Nile had problems.
I think it's on Prime and passed me by on release. I'll have a look.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I'm delighted to see that Ang Lee will be the recipient of the BAFTA Fellowship at this year's ceremony, which is going to be interesting in its staging and presentation, although it's great to see more diverse and deserving nominees than last year.

The ceremony is on television at 7:00 p.m. this year, as opposed to 9:00 p.m., which has been its timeslot for years now. Which may be a good move with regards to gaining a wider audience.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ang-lee-to-be-awarded-bafta-fellowship