last movie you watched

Chat talk and light discussion

Moderators: FECC-Moderator, Moderator5, Moderator3, Site Mechanic

keninlincs
Registered for: 12 years 9 months
Mood:

Re: last movie you watched

Post by keninlincs »

Last night i watched "Return of the vampire" that Shane recently mentioned,i rate the film quite highly and think Andreas's werewolf makeup was excellent as was Bela Lugosi,who seemed much more at ease in his role.Next up was another Hammer revisit to a film that should not work but which i have always enjoyed,the uncut version of "The legend of the 7 golden vampires" pure Hammer and Shaw brother's hokum,strangely enjoyayable.Peter Cushing was pure class! out acting the entire crew with ease.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by keninlincs on Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-instagram kenh1964

Greystoke
Registered for: 6 years 5 months

Post by Greystoke »

keninlincs wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:48 pm
Last night i watched "Return of the vampire" that Shane recently mentioned,i rate the film quite highly and think Andreas's werewolf makeup was excellent as was Bela Lugosi,who seemed much more at ease in his role.Next up was a ammer revisit to a film that should not work but which i have always enjoyed,the uncut version of "The legend of the 7 golden vampires" pure Hamer and Shaw brother's hokum,strangely enjoyayable.Peter Cushing was pure class out acting the entire crew with ease.
The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires was such a timely project, with Hammer finding new stories and the martial arts craze of the 1970s. It's just a pity that Christopher Lee wasn't on board as Dracula. I really like this one, too, Ken. And Cushing was just class, as you've said.

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

41Mhy7eFFLL._AC_UL600_SR429,600_.jpg
Tonights viewing was a Hammer double bill, both films starring the wonderful Bette Davis.
First up was "The nanny"from 1965 quite a tense thriller about a nanny who is harboring a dark secret,excellent acting from Ms Davis,almost as good as she was in "Whatever happened to baby Jane?"

Next up was "The anniversary" from 1968 a black comedy about the matriarch of a dysfuntional family on the annual family anniversay get together,choas ensues,worth a watch even if just to watch Bette in color co ordinated eye patches.
The_Anniversary_(film)_poster.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-instagram kenh1964

pmp
Registered for: 1 year 11 months

Post by pmp »

keninlincs wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:48 pm
Last night i watched "Return of the vampire" that Shane recently mentioned,i rate the film quite highly and think Andreas's werewolf makeup was excellent as was Bela Lugosi,who seemed much more at ease in his role.
Yes, Lugosi is very good here, even if there is the inevitable close-up of the eyes every so often!
Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Tonight I saw "Daniel Isn't Real," which I'm rather surprised hasn't popped up here before. The movie stars Miles Robbins (son of Tim) and Patrick Schwarzenegger (son of Arnie) in a film about a young man who brings his childhood imaginary friend back from the purgatory where he had put him when he was a kid and had become a bit too dangerous. Except now, as an adult, he's even more dangerous. I went into this a bit warily, as I think we should be beyond making horror movies out of mental health issues, and this has been advertised as a schizophrenic-goes-nuts movie. Luckily, it doesn't really go there, with it going into trippy Lovecraftian territory instead. Miles Robbins is superb as the angst-ridden student at the heart of the film, even if Schwarzenegger is maybe over-egging it as the "Daniel" of the title. It borrows heavily from other films, not least the many schizophrenic-based horror movies of the past, but it also reminded me of Nowhere by Gregg Araki (which I must rewatch) and even the body-horror of Society, but thankfully not as stomach-churning. The booklet contains a pretentious essay which waffles on in academic fashion about how the film is really about toxic masculinity and other nonsense, whereas it's just a modest film with a modest budget that's extremely entertaining, even if it doesn't quite know how to explain who or what Daniel actual is. Recommended. I think it might be on Sky Cinema - it certainly was at one point. Otherwise, the blu ray is issued by Arrow.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:43 am
Tonight I saw "Daniel Isn't Real," which I'm rather surprised hasn't popped up here before. The movie stars Miles Robbins (son of Tim) and Patrick Schwarzenegger (son of Arnie) in a film about a young man who brings his childhood imaginary friend back from the purgatory where he had put him when he was a kid and had become a bit too dangerous. Except now, as an adult, he's even more dangerous. I went into this a bit warily, as I think we should be beyond making horror movies out of mental health issues, and this has been advertised as a schizophrenic-goes-nuts movie. Luckily, it doesn't really go there, with it going into trippy Lovecraftian territory instead. Miles Robbins is superb as the angst-ridden student at the heart of the film, even if Schwarzenegger is maybe over-egging it as the "Daniel" of the title. It borrows heavily from other films, not least the many schizophrenic-based horror movies of the past, but it also reminded me of Nowhere by Gregg Araki (which I must rewatch) and even the body-horror of Society, but thankfully not as stomach-churning. The booklet contains a pretentious essay which waffles on in academic fashion about how the film is really about toxic masculinity and other nonsense, whereas it's just a modest film with a modest budget that's extremely entertaining, even if it doesn't quite know how to explain who or what Daniel actual is. Recommended. I think it might be on Sky Cinema - it certainly was at one point. Otherwise, the blu ray is issued by Arrow.
I'll check for it on Sky. It has passed me by, though.

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

This morning the wife was up early for work so i watched ànother 2 Hammer films from my collection
First up was "Terror of the Tongs"from 1961 and starrjng Christopher Lee as the leader of the Red Dragon Tongs, opium traders sex and people traffickers and all, round crooks,interessting to see Roger Delgado in a supporting role,he was better known as The Master in Doctor Who.
images.jpeg
Next up was"To the devil a daughter" from 1976 starring ...
Christopher Lee
Richard Widmark
Denholm Elliot
Natasha Kinski
Honor Blackman
AnthonyValentine
Hammer horror certainly assembled a fine cast for their filmed Version of the Dennis Wheatley classic.?
American expatriate occult writer John Verney (Widmark) is asked by Henry Beddows (Elliot) to pick up his daughter Catherine (Kinski) from London Heathrow Airport. Catherine is a member of the Children of the Lord, a mysterious heretical religious order based in Bavaria that was founded by excommunicated Roman Catholic priest Michael Rayner (Lee). Catherine's deceased mother was part of the order, and had arranged for her daughter to be brought up as a member of the order. Once Catherine arrives in London, Beddows then insists that she stays with Verney for the time being. The order, however, under Rayner, makes all efforts to get Catherine back and uses black magic to stop Verney as he protects her. Verney learns that the order really harbours a group of practicing Satanists, who have prepared Catherine to become an avatar of Astaroth upon her eighteenth birthday. Upon learning that Verney has discovered his secret, Rayner kills off Verney's occult writer friends while in the midst of retrieving Catherine from Verney. Using his knowledge of the occult, Verney battles the priest and his henchmen in order to rescue Catherine, who was taken back by Rayner. As Rayner prepares to baptise Catherine in blood, Verney manages to save Catherine by knocking the priest unconscious and carrying her out of the circle of blood created by Rayner.
A great ending to Hammer films horror cycle of the 50s,60s and 70s.
to-the-devil-a-daughter-poster.jpg
-instagram kenh1964

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Talking of Hammer, I just bought Warner Archive’s release of Dracula, or The Horror of Dracula, on Blu-ray, along with their new release of Sergeant York. Which comes from a new 4K restoration.

I already have the Lions Gate Dracula Blu-ray, which includes the long lost Japanese edits, seamlessly branched, incidentally. The Warner Archive release is the U.S. release, but they've remastered and enriched the image, with the colour timing and detail very much improved to my eyes. From the caps below, at least. I'm eager to see what it looks like in motion.

Capture+_2021-04-13-19-43-46-1.png
Capture+_2021-04-13-19-44-14-1.png

mike edwards66
Registered for: 9 years

Post by mike edwards66 »

Antebellum - intriguing, if misleading, trailer - awful movie - like a bad version of Fantasy Island. First half an hour, the set up, is pretty good, goes downhill rapidly from there. Avoid.
>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

pmp

Post by pmp »

Greystoke wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:48 pm
Talking of Hammer, I just bought Warner Archive’s release of Dracula, or The Horror of Dracula, on Blu-ray, along with their new release of Sergeant York. Which comes from a new 4K restoration.

I already have the Lions Gate Dracula Blu-ray, which includes the long lost Japanese edits, seamlessly branched, incidentally. The Warner Archive release is the U.S. release, but they've remastered and enriched the image, with the colour timing and detail very much improved to my eyes. From the caps below, at least. I'm eager to see what it looks like in motion.

I saw a comparison video somewhere - maybe even on here? - and the difference was startling.

Talking of restorations, I just tried to buy Dr X from WowHD and they are currently sold out. But it's something I will hunt down.

I picked up "The New Kids" (1985) cheap(ish) in CEX yesterday and watched it tonight. It falls very much into the rather unpleasant juvenile delinquent cycle of the 1980s, but oddly is surprising non-grisly when it comes to on-screen violence. Most of it is implied, which must be the reason for the 15 certificate. This is a Sean Cunningham film, and it's decent enough, if somewhat ugly, but not something I'm likely to ever watch again, and so it will go on the eBay pile! Parts of it are very over-the-top, including James Spader's performance as the leader of the gang which is, by turns, rather reptilian and rather camp. The real star of the show is actually Homer the goose, who really should have got an award!

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

mike edwards66 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:16 am
Antebellum - intriguing, if misleading, trailer - awful movie - like a bad version of Fantasy Island. First half an hour, the set up, is pretty good, goes downhill rapidly from there. Avoid.
My thoughts exactly:
Greystoke wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:36 am
Next tonight I watched Antebellum, which is ostensibly set in the American South during the civil war and on a slave plantation where horrible acts of mistreatment are depicted over and over again.

Janelle Monae plays Eve, a character central to the events in a film written and directed by Gerard Bush and Christopher Renz, with this being their feature debut after a history working on music videos with Jay-Z.

And this is certainly a film with something to say, but in doing so, it's walking a narrative tightrope that it can't quite find balance on, which, despite how well sketched Eve is, everyone around her is quite hollow and in spite of truth, it doesn't really ring true. Yes, it's about systemic racism and black people's voices being taken away, but it's a film of a certain type, and this type of film is difficult to truly get right.

As such, there's nuance and balance amiss, and whilst it doesn't need reason, because it's undoubtedly timely in equating confederate soldiers with the likes of the Proud Boys, it's quite on the nose and forced as opposed to being genuinely satisfying.

Monae is good, though, and there's a visually striking sequence in the final act, whilst I do admire the ambition and to some extent, the vision here. But it also falls foul of poor plotting and inconsistencies that raise questions more than creating tension.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:36 am
Greystoke wrote:

I saw a comparison video somewhere - maybe even on here? - and the difference was startling.

Talking of restorations, I just tried to buy Dr X from WowHD and they are currently sold out. But it's something I will hunt down.

I picked up "The New Kids" (1985) cheap(ish) in CEX yesterday and watched it tonight. It falls very much into the rather unpleasant juvenile delinquent cycle of the 1980s, but oddly is surprising non-grisly when it comes to on-screen violence. Most of it is implied, which must be the reason for the 15 certificate. This is a Sean Cunningham film, and it's decent enough, if somewhat ugly, but not something I'm likely to ever watch again, and so it will go on the eBay pile! Parts of it are very over-the-top, including James Spader's performance as the leader of the gang which is, by turns, rather reptilian and rather camp. The real star of the show is actually Homer the goose, who really should have got an award!
I have been looking for Doctor X and Crossfire, too. Although I'm making a dent in some of the titles I've been delaying on getting.

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Greystoke wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:20 am
pmp wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:36 am
Greystoke wrote:

I picqked up "The New Kids" (1985) cheap(ish) in CEX yesterday and watched it tonight. It falls very much into the rather unpleasant juvenile delinquent cycle of the 1980s, but oddly is surprising non-grisly when it comes to on-screen violence. Most of it is implied, which must be the reason for the 15 certificate. This is a Sean Cunningham film, and it's decent enough, if somewhat ugly, but not something I'm likely to ever watch again, and so it will go on the eBay pile! Parts of it are very over-the-top, including James Spader's performance as the leader of the gang which is, by turns, rather reptilian and rather camp. The real star of the show is actually Homer the goose, who really should have got an award!
I have been looking for Doctor X and Crossfire, too. Although I'm making a dent in some of the titles I've been delaying on getting.
The new Dracula does look very good but i dont think i will be buying it yet again for obvious reasons,i am just watching all the films i have in my collection again for now,i thinks my buying days are at an end now,the wife will have little interest in my dvd an bluray collection without me , so it seems a little bit pointless to carry on collecting films,i missed out out the shakin stevens box set for the same reason although i would have loved a copy just to hear some of the unreleased stuff.
-instagram kenh1964

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Last night i watched "Twice told tales" with Vincent Price in 3 stories of the macabre,i had forgotten i had it until Shane mentioned it a while back,pretty Hammy but a nice waste of 2 hours.
-instagram kenh1964

mike edwards66
Registered for: 9 years

Post by mike edwards66 »

Greystoke wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:30 am
mike edwards66 wrote:
My thoughts exactly:
Greystoke wrote:
Next tonight I watched Antebellum, which is ostensibly set in the American South during the civil war and on a slave plantation where horrible acts of mistreatment are depicted over and over again.

Janelle Monae plays Eve, a character central to the events in a film written and directed by Gerard Bush and Christopher Renz, with this being their feature debut after a history working on music videos with Jay-Z.

And this is certainly a film with something to say, but in doing so, it's walking a narrative tightrope that it can't quite find balance on, which, despite how well sketched Eve is, everyone around her is quite hollow and in spite of truth, it doesn't really ring true. Yes, it's about systemic racism and black people's voices being taken away, but it's a film of a certain type, and this type of film is difficult to truly get right.

As such, there's nuance and balance amiss, and whilst it doesn't need reason, because it's undoubtedly timely in equating confederate soldiers with the likes of the Proud Boys, it's quite on the nose and forced as opposed to being genuinely satisfying.

Monae is good, though, and there's a visually striking sequence in the final act, whilst I do admire the ambition and to some extent, the vision here. But it also falls foul of poor plotting and inconsistencies that raise questions more than creating tension.
I hadn't seen your review, Greystoke. You hit the nail on the head regarding poor plotting and inconsistencies, inconsistencies that are glaringly obvious once we've had the 'reveal', which itself is telegraphed way too early. It's a shame, because it is a good-looking movie, especially at the start, the scenes at the plantation and then the apartment are rich in colour.
>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

mike edwards66 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:16 pm
Greystoke wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:30 am
mike edwards66 wrote:
My thoughts exactly:
Greystoke wrote:

I hadn't seen your review, Greystoke. You hit the nail on the head regarding poor plotting and inconsistencies, inconsistencies that are glaringly obvious once we've had the 'reveal', which itself is telegraphed way too early. It's a shame, because it is a good-looking movie, especially at the start, the plantation and then the apartment are rich in colour.
It's telegraphed so early that it's in the trailer, which I managed to avoid beforehand, being quite selective in watching certain trailers before seeing the movie, and for this very reason.

The colour palette is gorgeous, though. And I liked the cinematography. Although some of the experience the directors have in short form and music videos - as opposed to feature films - shows in how dynamic individual scenes are, but not the whole.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

keninlincs wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:18 pm
Last night i watched "Twice told tales" with Vincent Price in 3 stories of the macabre,i had forgotten i had it until Shane mentioned it a while back,pretty Hammy but a nice waste of 2 hours.
I think you've mentioned a few Vincent Price films recently, Ken. One you might really enjoy is a pretty obscure western called More Dead Than Alive. You might have seen it, of course. It was made around the same time as The Trouble With Girls, and Price has a similar look and character to his role in that film, playing the manager of a small wild west show.

Clint Walker stars as a former outlaw trying to go straight, and this would have been a great role for Elvis, although there would have been no money in it. Mike Henry is one of the antagonists, and whilst the kid is a bit miscast, this is quite an adventurous film. And I hope it isn't a spoiler to say that Price has one of the best death scenes of his career.

vincent-price-paul-hampton-more-dead-than-alive-1968-2BKBJR0.jpg
killer-cain-more-dead-than-alive-killer-cain-clint-walker-l-billy-D220B5.jpg

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Another week, another Paramount Blu-ray, and it's great to see In Harm's Way scheduled for release. I hope that True Grit gets a new upgrade or becomes the first John Wayne UHD release.

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Greystoke wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:32 pm
keninlincs wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:18 pm
I think you've mentioned a few Vincent Price films recently, Ken. One you might really enjoy is a pretty obscure western called More Dead Than Alive. You might have seen it, of course. It was made around the same time as The Trouble With Girls, and Price has a similar look and character to his role in that film, playing the manager of a small wild west show.

Clint Walker stars as a former outlaw trying to go straight, and this would have been a great role for Elvis, although there would have been no money in it. Mike Henry is one of the antagonists, and whilst the kid is a bit miscast, this is quite an adventurous film. And I hope it isn't a spoiler to say that Price has one of the best death scenes of his career.

Thanks Hugh,i shall watch that this week and let you know what i think.
-instagram kenh1964

pmp

Post by pmp »

Today the German blu ray edition of the Rathbone Sherlock Holmes films arrived through the door. Having had a quick glance at a few of them, I can confirm that they are the same restorations that we already have on DVD. The main difference is that the picture is considerably sharper on the blu ray, and the black and white cinematography is, well, a little blacker and a little whiter. Sadly, I can't show you a comparison as my PC for some reason doesn't like the DVDs!

I watched Hound of the Baskervilles tonight, and will hopefully watch the rest in order over the coming weeks. It must have been longer than I thought since I had watched it last as I had forgotten about certain sequences. Not only does version benefit from Rathbone and Bruce, but also a twenty-year-old Richard Greene is very good, too. But I'm not going to go into a review here as most will have already seen it. Since I saw it last, though, I've seen the German production from 1929, a very fine late silent starring Carlyle Blackwell as Holmes. This is available on a region A blu ray from Flicker Alley and comes with the 1914 German production, too (which is absolutely bonkers, I might add!). The 1929 version is, I think, even better than the Rathbone one and well worth seeking out if you can. But the 1939 version clearly has more historical significance as it kicked off the Rathbone/Bruce partnership of 14 films and dozens of radio adaptations.

There is an extra on the disc that wasn't on the DVD set, which is the East German TV version of the film, first aired in 1984. From what I've read, there are certain sequences that are slightly different, and the dubbed dialogue is also not always a direct translation of the actual dialogue - so I've read online, but I'm not going to watch 80 minutes of it to find out! I believe both films are included in regular German-dubbed versions on this set, but I didn't check - I will when I watch Adventures in a day or two. Menus are in English, Italian or German.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:06 am
Today the German blu ray edition of the Rathbone Sherlock Holmes films arrived through the door. Having had a quick glance at a few of them, I can confirm that they are the same restorations that we already have on DVD. The main difference is that the picture is considerably sharper on the blu ray, and the black and white cinematography is, well, a little blacker and a little whiter. Sadly, I can't show you a comparison as my PC for some reason doesn't like the DVDs!

I watched Hound of the Baskervilles tonight, and will hopefully watch the rest in order over the coming weeks. It must have been longer than I thought since I had watched it last as I had forgotten about certain sequences. Not only does version benefit from Rathbone and Bruce, but also a twenty-year-old Richard Greene is very good, too. But I'm not going to go into a review here as most will have already seen it. Since I saw it last, though, I've seen the German production from 1929, a very fine late silent starring Carlyle Blackwell as Holmes. This is available on a region A blu ray from Flicker Alley and comes with the 1914 German production, too (which is absolutely bonkers, I might add!). The 1929 version is, I think, even better than the Rathbone one and well worth seeking out if you can. But the 1939 version clearly has more historical significance as it kicked off the Rathbone/Bruce partnership of 14 films and dozens of radio adaptations.

There is an extra on the disc that wasn't on the DVD set, which is the East German TV version of the film, first aired in 1984. From what I've read, there are certain sequences that are slightly different, and the dubbed dialogue is also not always a direct translation of the actual dialogue - so I've read online, but I'm not going to watch 80 minutes of it to find out! I believe both films are included in regular German-dubbed versions on this set, but I didn't check - I will when I watch Adventures in a day or two. Menus are in English, Italian or German.
That's encouraging. I should make a move and get this set. But I did think a U.K. release would have happened by now.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Greystoke wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:25 pm
pmp wrote:

That's encouraging. I should make a move and get this set. But I did think a U.K. release would have happened by now.
Especially as this one was released in 2012, and in 2011 in the US. Only Hound is available in the UK, which is ridiculous. As it is, the difference isn't great enough between DVD and blu ray (same restorations) to spend a vast amount of money on this as it is, but for £40ish for 14 films, this is a bargain - and it's likely to cost more than that if a UK release appears.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:55 pm
Greystoke wrote:
pmp wrote:

Especially as this one was released in 2012, and in 2011 in the US. Only Hound is available in the UK, which is ridiculous. As it is, the difference isn't great enough between DVD and blu ray (same restorations) to spend a vast amount of money on this as it is, but for £40ish for 14 films, this is a bargain - and it's likely to cost more than that if a UK release appears.
I did think when Hound of the Baskervilles was released on Blu-ray, that it would have been followed by a box set, and whilst it was Optimum that released the DVD set, the way Eureka have been digging into the Universal vaults had me thinking it might be on their slate.

40odds is a good price, though. And I have seen it much higher. I just bought Indicator’s Sweet Charity Blu-ray, which I've also been delaying in getting, but 17.99 was also too good of a price. And I finally managed to get Second Sight’s Walkabout Blu-ray, which vanished soon after release, but has never appeared as a standard edition. I paid over the odds, but I'm really looking forward to seeing the restoration. And what seems to be a nice package.

Talking of Optimum, and Eureka, there's still several DVD titles from them which have never seen an upgrade, which is something that crossed my mind last night. Considering the way 88 Asia and Eureka are handling so many martial arts movies, and oddities from Hong Kong and Japan, the Sonny Chiba sets from Optimum are long overdue for an upgrade. As is Eureka’s release of Hanzo the Razor.

Some of the Eureka titles are selling out on pre-order or just days after going on sale, and it's difficult to determine what might go, when some titles do hang around. I cancelled my Lucky Stars pre-order for the sake of waiting a week and getting it packaged in with a few other things, and as luck would have it, it was out of print in about two days.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Greystoke wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:05 pm
pmp wrote:
Greystoke wrote:
pmp wrote:

I did think when Hound of the Baskervilles was released on Blu-ray, that it would have been followed by a box set, and whilst it was Optimum that released the DVD set, the way Eureka have been digging into the Universal vaults had me thinking it might be on their slate.

40odds is a good price, though. And I have seen it much higher. I just bought Indicator’s Sweet Charity Blu-ray, which I've also been delaying in getting, but 17.99 was also too good of a price. And I finally managed to get Second Sight’s Walkabout Blu-ray, which vanished soon after release, but has never appeared as a standard edition. I paid over the odds, but I'm really looking forward to seeing the restoration. And what seems to be a nice package.

Talking of Optimum, and Eureka, there's still several DVD titles from them which have never seen an upgrade, which is something that crossed my mind last night. Considering the way 88 Asia and Eureka are handling so many martial arts movies, and oddities from Hong Kong and Japan, the Sonny Chiba sets from Optimum are long overdue for an upgrade. As is Eureka’s release of Hanzo the Razor.

Some of the Eureka titles are selling out on pre-order or just days after going on sale, and it's difficult to determine what might go, when some titles do hang around. I cancelled my Lucky Stars pre-order for the sake of waiting a week and getting it packaged in with a few other things, and as luck would have it, it was out of print in about two days.
Yes, I was too late initially for the latest (last?) Buster Keaton set from Eureka. Luckily, they got some returns, which I managed to pick up further down the road.

Returning to the Holmes set, apparently the restorations being used on DVD and blu ray were all done between 1993 and 2001, which might explain why they are hardly jumping off the screen.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:17 pm
Greystoke wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:05 pm
pmp wrote:
Greystoke wrote:
pmp wrote:

Yes, I was too late initially for the latest (last?) Buster Keaton set from Eureka. Luckily, they got some returns, which I managed to pick up further down the road.

Returning to the Holmes set, apparently the restorations being used on DVD and blu ray were all done between 1993 and 2001, which might explain why they are hardly jumping off the screen.
I didn't think anything new was done with them -- this is where the terminology between remastering and restoration often gets muddled. If there's nothing to restore, even if there's been a new scan or an upgrade, it isn't a restoration. And the DVDs were really good. As are lots of the Warner Archive DVDs. Which are more than acceptable if a Blu-ray never materialises. Although that would be much better, of course.

Indicator announced their July slate today, although Ishtar, The Day of the Dolphin, The Big Fix, and Invincible do very little for me. Maybe The Day of the Dolphin at some point, but this isn't one of their better announcements.