last movie you watched

Chat talk and light discussion

Moderators: FECC-Moderator, Moderator5, Moderator3, Site Mechanic

Greystoke
Registered for: 6 years 5 months

Re: last movie you watched

Post by Greystoke »

I watched Stowaway this afternoon, which just debuted on Netflix. It's a science fiction film that is of a familiar type in many respects, but with a human element at its core. Three astronauts are on a spacecraft bound for Mars. They're preparing work for a colony that's being developed, only to find an unwitting stowaway on board.

How he got there isn't explained, which I did have an issue with, but I don't think it would be a spoiler to say that this isn't a film about alien threat or a creature on board. Which has been done to death. Instead, the threat is a man whose very existence on a carefully planned mission in which he wasn't factored, causes jeopardy and raises questions about hope, risk, the value of life and the greater good.

Joe Penna ably directs a script written by him and Ryan Morrison, with keen cinematography by Klemens Becker, whose camera work is smooth and unfussy, with nice SteadiCam work and the negotiation of a small space.

Toni Collette is the ship's commander, with Anna Kendrick as the doctor and mechanic, Daniel Dae Kim the botanist, and Shamier Anderson the stowaway. There's contact with earth, but nobody else is seen on screen, and whilst the inevitable happens in leaving the ship, mostly, the visual effects are good and it earns a degree of intensity in what is suggested when questions are asked about how the mission can continue.

It's low key for the most part, with little interest in heroics. And if exposition gets too heavy in the final act, again, by that stage I was invested enough to stay in the film. Which is good. But I did need just a bit more character depth in the end.

keninlincs
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Greystoke wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:32 pm
keninlincs wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:25 pm
Greystoke wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:59 pm
Just received Arrow’s UHD Battle Royale box set, which is truly fantastic -- and I hope the new 4K master is as impressive. But their packaging and delivery leaves a lot to be desired for such a release.

I dont know if its a bit of chemo brain,but i cannot remember seeing any of those films?
The first one is an incredible film. The second one, not so much. I think you would love Battle Royale, though. It's spiky and provocative, but thoughtful. Such a thrilling film. I loved it when I saw it on release and have bought every new DVD, Blu-ray, and now UHD release of the film.

I just received the Warner Archive Dracula Blu-ray, too, incidentally. By courier, just like the other Warner Archive Blu-rays I recently ordered. Unlike Battle Royale, which looked like it had been kicked about by the postman.
Ahh yes now i saw the trailer i remember it,thanks Hugh!
-instagram kenh1964

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I'm not the biggest fan of the Conjuring films and its spinoffs, although the second in the series is probably the best of them, in my opinion. The trailer for the third film dropped today, and I can't say that it's that enticing. Shades of The Exorcist, all the same.

pmp
Registered for: 2 years

Post by pmp »

Greystoke wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:26 pm
I'm not the biggest fan of the Conjuring films and its spinoffs, although the second in the series is probably the best of them, in my opinion. The trailer for the third film dropped today, and I can't say that it's that enticing. Shades of The Exorcist, all the same.

I always seem to like the first 40 minutes of The Conjuring films, and then they go to pot for the last hour, when they become utterly preposterous. Interestingly, though, I have The Demon Murder Case, a TV movie about the same events, on my hard drive, but I've never got around to watching it. It has quite a good cast, including a young Kevin Bacon, Cloris Leachman, Eddie Albert and Andy Griffith - with Harvey Fierstein as the voice of the demon!!

I wandered down to the antique-y part of Norwich today, and picked up The Omen trilogy on blu ray for £11. Also I got two region A double bills - 13 Ghosts and 13 Frightened Girls, and When a Stranger Call and Happy Birthday to Me. Both double bills were £8, which is pretty good going. (sorry if this info is hiding somewhere on the thread and I missed it - it's another of those posts that disappeared, I think).
Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

With Holmes being discussed a fair bit of late, and needing something a bit lighter tonight, I watched Guy Ritchie’s Sherlock Holmes again, and enjoyed a great deal. I probably watched it last around four years ago, but it still holds up nicely, and whilst Downey may not be one of the better Sherlocks, I think Law is one of the better Watsons.

Their interplay is just great fun, and I like the sense of the macabre, Mark Strong on odious form, and shades of Hammer along with nods to previous adaptations. Rachel McAdams doesn't bring much to an Irene Adler who is more of a plot device than a character, and if most of the henchmen are disposable, Eddie Marsan makes for a welcome - if underused - Inspector Lestrade. Although William Houston has a nice role as the police office who likes to accommodate Holmes.

I'll probably watch A Game of Shadows again pretty soon, but this is far and away Guy Ritchie’s best and most even-handed film to date.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:10 am
Greystoke wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:26 pm

I always seem to like the first 40 minutes of The Conjuring films, and then they go to pot for the last hour, when they become utterly preposterous. Interestingly, though, I have The Demon Murder Case, a TV movie about the same events, on my hard drive, but I've never got around to watching it. It has quite a good cast, including a young Kevin Bacon, Cloris Leachman, Eddie Albert and Andy Griffith - with Harvey Fierstein as the voice of the demon!!

I wandered down to the antique-y part of Norwich today, and picked up The Omen trilogy on blu ray for £11. Also I got two region A double bills - 13 Ghosts and 13 Frightened Girls, and When a Stranger Call and Happy Birthday to Me. Both double bills were £8, which is pretty good going. (sorry if this info is hiding somewhere on the thread and I missed it - it's another of those posts that disappeared, I think).
I think I'm about due another look at The Omen, too. I think it also holds up pretty well, certainly in the acting and the narrative, if not some of the visual effects, although the impalement was always quite unconvincing.

I have much the same problem with the Conjuring films, which often have an issue in creating a genuine sense of fear and tension for want of jump scares. Which is and has been a driving force that's to the detriment of modern horror at worst, although, at best, there's more subtle and intelligent films from the past decade, or so. But these films have been very successful and have really carved a niche for themselves.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I'm really pleased to see Millionaires’ Express coming to Blu-ray from Eureka, and in a true limited edition release -- not just a slipcase and a booklet, but a disc featuring a new and exclusive edit of the film. An easy pre-order for me.

51sq6BSI-YS._AC_SY780_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hobbes
Registered for: 5 years 5 months

Post by Hobbes »

Greystoke posted about this movie a few weeks back. It intrigued me, so I put it on my 'watch later' list (I found it on Youtube). I watched it with my son the other day; I found it to be a pretty fun movie!

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Hobbes wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:00 am
Greystoke posted about this movie a few weeks back. It intrigued me, so I put it on my 'watch later' list (I found it on Youtube). I watched it with my son the other day; I found it to be a pretty fun movie!

Yes the "Devil ship pirates"is a very good film especially for a U certificate!
-instagram kenh1964

pmp

Post by pmp »

Hobbes wrote:

Network in the UK is releasing a blu ray of this at the end of May.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I carried on with Sherlock Holmes tonight and A Game of Shadows, which doesn't bristle with the same sense of urgency and invention as Ritchie’s first Holmes film, but it's smart, funny, and well-cooked with adventure.

Rachel McAdams doesn't stay around long as Irene Adler, and whilst Noomi Rapace does well with an underwritten role, it's Jared Harris's Professor Moriarty that comes to the fore with a sinister, serpentine presence. And whilst there's never really a sense of threat and danger to Holmes and Watson, there are casualties. And high stakes.

Stephen Fry, bringing aspects of his own personality, makes a welcome appearance as Mycroft, whilst a thuggish Colonel Sebastian Moran makes for an additional element that works pretty well. It was good to revisit both films over the past couple of nights.

pmp

Post by pmp »

I watched 13 Ghosts today, which was considerably more fun than I thought it might be. The Mill Creek double bill region A blu ray is a bare bones affair, with none of the extras of the Indicator release, but at two films for half the price, I'm not complaining. The transfer and print is excellent, too. Good, harmless end-of-the-week stuff.

Delboy
Registered for: 5 years

Post by Delboy »

Sorry if this has has been answered before but this is a long thread.😀 Has anyone seen Godzilla vs Kong? 16 quid for rental is high.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Delboy wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:01 am
Sorry if this has has been answered before but this is a long thread.😀 Has anyone seen Godzilla vs Kong? 16 quid for rental is high.
I can't say that it's a film I would recommend. There's better films and better films of this type that are on release just now. It basically does as promised, mostly. And it's better than King of the Monsters, but it doesn't have the vibrancy and pacing of Kong: Skull Island, for example. It's diverting enough, but I think your money would be better spent elsewhere. That's just my opinion, of course.

If this is the type of film you're looking for, Love and Monsters on Netflix is so much better.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:35 pm
Hobbes wrote:

Network in the UK is releasing a blu ray of this at the end of May.
I'm sure Indicator would have been looking to obtain the rights to Devil Ship Pirates for another Hammer box set in the future. This is quite a coup for Network, although Indicator have slated some reissues that are newly remastered. I'll buy the Network release, but I would still like to see this in an Indicator box set.

ForeverElvis
Registered for: 18 years

last movie you watched

Post by ForeverElvis »

Greystoke wrote:
Delboy wrote:
Sorry if this has has been answered before but this is a long thread.Image Has anyone seen Godzilla vs Kong? 16 quid for rental is high.
I can't say that it's a film I would recommend. There's better films and better films of this type that are on release just now. It basically does as promised, mostly. And it's better than King of the Monsters, but it doesn't have the vibrancy and pacing of Kong: Skull Island, for example. It's diverting enough, but I think your money would be better spent elsewhere. That's just my opinion, of course.

If this is the type of film you're looking for, Love and Monsters on Netflix is so much better.

The modern Godzilla/Kong movies are a hit and miss affair.

Godzilla 2014 and Kong Skull Island 2017 were both very good. They balanced the human and monster stories well without too much of either. King of the Monsters leaned more on effects, less human story and suffered for it. Godzilla v Kong does a better job at this balance than the last film but not as well as the first two films.

The effects in this new film are tremendous and would have been a thrill to see on cinema screen. The last film had great effects too but overused them that I felt like I was being bludgeoned by cgi.

These films aren’t high art. If you like monster films you’ll like these films, if your looking for a character study or high drama look elsewhere.

Where the monster verse goes now - I don’t know.
Always Elvis
Anthony

ForeverElvis
Registered for: 18 years

Post by ForeverElvis »

I watched “Mank” tonight with Gary Oldman and directed by David Fincher.

This film, in black and white, is exquisitely photographed, the lighting, sets, costumes are perfect and create the time and place well.

1940 - depicts the backstory behind the writing of Citizen Kane with forays into 1930’s Hollywood via flashbacks.

The performances are first rate; Amanda Seyfried has an Oscar Nom for her performance as Marion Davies. Gary Oldman is solid, as always, as Herman Mankiewicz. The rest of the cast is meticulous.

The screenplay is a knockout, every character has a moment. Arilss Howard as Louis B Mayer is excellent. Never more so than his walk and talk on what MGM is, who the audience is, what the stars are; all before he announces to a gathered group of actors and technicians that they are all getting a 50% pay rollback due to the depression.

Word of warning, this is a dialogue heavy film, pay attention or you’ll get lost.

Highly recommended.
Always Elvis
Anthony

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

ForeverElvis wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:12 pm
Greystoke wrote:
Delboy wrote:
Sorry if this has has been answered before but this is a long thread.Image Has anyone seen Godzilla vs Kong? 16 quid for rental is high.

The modern Godzilla/Kong movies are a hit and miss affair.

Godzilla 2014 and Kong Skull Island 2017 were both very good. They balanced the human and monster stories well without too much of either. King of the Monsters leaned more on effects, less human story and suffered for it. Godzilla v Kong does a better job at this balance than the last film but not as well as the first two films.

The effects in this new film are tremendous and would have been a thrill to see on cinema screen. The last film had great effects too but overused them that I felt like I was being bludgeoned by cgi.

These films aren’t high art. If you like monster films you’ll like these films, if your looking for a character study or high drama look elsewhere.

Where the monster verse goes now - I don’t know.
I like monster movies. But I'm not especially fond King Kong vs Godzilla and I very much dislike King of the Monsters. However, 2016’s Shin Godzilla is the best of the recent Godzilla films, in my opinion. It harkens back to the 1954 film in tone, and a more thoughtful nature than its Hollywood counterparts. It's unfortunate that the pacing goes awry, with the satirical elements sometimes landing with a thud, whilst sidelining Godzilla for a prolonged period was a mistake. But it's far more rewarding than the woefully stupid, overloaded, and poorly shot King of the Monsters, or the brainless Kong vs Godzilla.

There is, however, a difference between stupid and silly, and there's plenty of sillines in Love and Monsters, for example. But it's rarely stupid. The visual effects are superb here, although Kong vs. Godzilla is superior in this regard, but it doesn't have the same visual appeal or charm. Unlike the totally charmless, often incoherent, and incredibly thin King of the Monsters, which gives even the worst of the Transformers series a run for their money.

I think it's unclear as to what the next steps will be for this franchise, although I can't say that I'm eagerly awaiting more Kong or Godzilla. But Skull Island has been the standout among these films, in my opinion. And for numerous reasons in respect to what this film gets right, and what the others get wrong. Although, as I mentioned when I previously discussed Kong vs. Godzilla, the most interesting and authentic part of the film is how sign language is used as a means of communication with Kong.

Unfortunately, the undoing of this film is the disparate elements tugging the narrative in too many directions, because, unlike King of the Monsters, there are kernels of a better film here. And this type of film can be done so much better -- Love and Monsters is a perfect example of just that. As is Skull Island.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

ForeverElvis wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:26 pm
I watched “Mank” tonight with Gary Oldman and directed by David Fincher.

This film, in black and white, is exquisitely photographed, the lighting, sets, costumes are perfect and create the time and place well.

1940 - depicts the backstory behind the writing of Citizen Kane with forays into 1930’s Hollywood via flashbacks.

The performances are first rate; Amanda Seyfried has an Oscar Nom for her performance as Marion Davies. Gary Oldman is solid, as always, as Herman Mankiewicz. The rest of the cast is meticulous.

The screenplay is a knockout, every character has a moment. Arilss Howard as Louis B Mayer is excellent. Never more so than his walk and talk on what MGM is, who the audience is, what the stars are; all before he announces to a gathered group of actors and technicians that they are all getting a 50% pay rollback due to the depression.

Word of warning, this is a dialogue heavy film, pay attention or you’ll get lost.

Highly recommended.
I think you enjoyed Mank more than I did. It's well made, but on the nose, too. Here's my thoughts from a few months ago.
Greystoke wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:57 am
I watched Mank last night, David Fincher’s latest film, and his first since Gone Girl in 2014, with his work on the series, Mindhunter, also occurring over this period of time. Mank tells the story of screenwriter Herman J. Mankiewicz’s time writing the screenplay for Citizen Kane whilst convalescing after a car crash. With flashbacks to earlier in his career and his time as a bright young writer for M.G.M. When Orson Welles was a boy.

Fincher’s father, Jack, wrote the screenplay over twenty years ago, with this project first in development in the 1990s, although here, with Netflix producing, somebody like a David Fincher had a lot at his disposal, from the budget to a terrific cast, including Gary Oldman who, despite being far too old, is great in the central role.

Fincher’s direction is superb, and he certainly echoes Welles in certain shots and in his framing, most effectively when Mank, in a stupor, lets an empty bottle of booze slip from his hand, much like Kane lets a snow globe fall from his as he takes his dying breath.

Eric Messerschmidt’s cinematography is marvellous throughout, with his use of closeups and camera movement just one of several reasons to watch this film again. And whilst the past is evoked, this is still a modern-looking film, visually, with a keen feeling for the period and great set design.

The narrative itself isn't entirely straightforward, as the dual timeframes create an image of a man who has been broken by life, through experiences, yet he is still able to turn in his best work. Although here lies one of the film's major problems, in that it clings to the idea of Mank having sole ownership of the Citizen Kane script, which is untrue and has been disproven, this, after Pauline Kael’s erroneous piece on this very subject.

Granted, biopics aren't documentaries, as I've said on many occasions, and I certainly do expect creative license, fabrication and a story being told. However, a good biopic is still based on truth in being true to the characters and their story, and when something false or incorrect is able to loom over a script, that is problematic.

Welles, played by Tom Burke, is very much a cipher in this film, as we hear him on the phone, see him in makeup as he tests for Heart of Darkness, or occasionally as a looming presence when he visits Mank. Burke doesn't resemble Welles, physically, but he really gets his voice right.

Amanda Syfried is also well cast as Marion Davies, and gives one of her better performances to date, as does Tuppence Middleton as Mank’s wife, Sarah, whilst Arliss Howard as a conniving Louis B. Mayer. But this is certainly no love letter to M.G.M. or indeed Hollywood, with the characters often a miserable lot amidst the name dropping.

This is a film that expects you to know who's who, and whilst the pace is initially stately, and less immediately involving than Fincher’s films typically are, the tempo soon quickens and the story becomes more involving, with the mentality of a page-turner. Great score, too, from Trent Reznor, who has worked with Fincher before.

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Yesterday i watched four more films from Universals monster cycle-.The son of Frankenstein with Basil Ratbone,Bela Lugosi and Karloff,i am very fond of this one,with Lugosi at his best as Ygor,followed by 3 not so good Chaney heavy features,although i quite liked him he was very wooden and 1 dimensional,but still i enjoyed watching them
The wolf man,ghost of Frankenstein and Frankenstein meets the wolfman,only House of Frankenstein and Dracula to go
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-instagram kenh1964

pmp

Post by pmp »

keninlincs wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:51 pm
Yesterday i watched four more films from Universals monster cycle-.The son of Frankenstein with Basil Ratbone,Bela Lugosi and Karloff,i am very fond of this one,with Lugosi at his best as Ygor,followed by 3 not so good Chaney heavy features,although i quite liked him he was very wooden and 1 dimensional,but still i enjoyed watching them
The wolf man,ghost of Frankenstein and Frankenstein meets the wolfman,only House of Frankenstein and Dracula to go
I'm not very fond of the 1940s Universal horror movies that are part of these ongoing cycles. The Wolf Man works well, as does She-Wolf of London, but most of the sequels of Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Mummy are pretty dull affairs. In fact, I'm pretty sure all four Mummy sequels are the exact same story. They are really rather poor. The stand-alone Universals are better during the 1940s, I think - as are the Lewton films and some of the Fox films (The Lodger, Hangover Square, Undying Monster etc).

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I'm with Ken on Son of Frankenstein, which I like a great deal. But it does crack me up. It's so broad as to be near parody at times. Mel Brooks had a great springboard for Young Frankenstein this one. But I think Rathbone has a wink in his eye here -- he's so good. As is Lugosi, who gives one of his best performances as Ygor, in my opinion. But the son of the son of Frankenstein -- who would be the grandson of Frankenstein!!! Where, when, or how was it thought right to have somebody that seems like an extra from Gone With the Wind in this movie. The moment he yelps his first line, “weyall hallo.” It floors me every time.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I watched Unhinged this evening, which stars Russell Crowe as a lunatic on the road who, after remaining static at a green light, puts all of his ire into a murderous rage aimed at the woman who dared honk her horn at him.

Seen at first in the film's best sequence through the open door of a house in which he murders its inhabitants and sets the place alight, Crowe is reminiscent of Orson Welles in Touch of Evil, due to his girth and overpowering presence. With the help of some padding, I believe.

His prey, played by Caren Pistorious, is somebody very normal and ordinary, with a son and a young brother, she's fighting a custody battle and to stay in employment, and now this. In a film which sets out its stall with satirical intentions and ideas about holding a mirror up to society and a culture of carelessness, bad manners, stress, congestion and overwork.

It's on the nose, however, and casts its net just too wide, especially in how it not only signposts the next steps, but how much it seems to relish in nihilism and carnage despite what it's trying to say. Certainly, there's a horror pedigree in screenwriter Carl Ellsworth’s work, and whilst there's echoes of Duel here, I can imagine Wolf Creek being influential, too. Perhaps even Maniac Cop.

Unfortunately, it's just too straight and narrow, and whilst ludicrous at times, and hardly gripping, Unhinged unravels in never being able to fully grasp what it's trying to do. It's fast paced, certainly, and whilst hardly original, the overcast cinematography does, at times, evoke a grim mood. But with an unstoppable Crowe grimacing and growling in one of the worst performances of his career, and cars piling up like it's the Fast and Furious, this film fell wide of the mark for me.

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

pmp wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:04 pm
keninlincs wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:51 pm
I'm not very fond of the 1940s Universal horror movies that are part of these ongoing cycles. The Wolf Man works well, as does She-Wolf of London, but most of the sequels of Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Mummy are pretty dull affairs. In fact, I'm pretty sure all four Mummy sequels are the exact same story. They are really rather poor. The stand-alone Universals are better during the 1940s, I think - as are the Lewton films and some of the Fox films (The Lodger, Hangover Square, Undying Monster etc).
I shall certainly be skipping all of the Mummy sequels and the Invisible man sequels,and moving on to more Hammer and the recently talked about "Rathbone" and "Bruce"Holmes films of the 30s and 40s
-instagram kenh1964

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I find quite a lot to enjoy in the Mummy and Invisible Man sequels, although they are patchy and pulpy. And became increasingly formulaic with each new instalment. But I have a real fondness for The Mummy’s Hand and its hapless pair of heroes. I like the cast, too. Cecil Kellaway as a soft-hearted old magician, and his young daughter. And George Zucco on typically villainous form.

I like the way it all plays out, although it's hokey -- but the ceremonies, and tana leaves, and a back story that has a bearing on events in the film always get me involved in this one. It's one of my favourites from Universal’s horror cycle.