last movie you watched

Chat talk and light discussion

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

pmp
Registered for: 5 years 2 months

Re: last movie you watched

Post by pmp »

Tonight's movie was a fascinating one called Late Night with the Devil, made in 2023. This takes the form of a short news or documentary piece, followed by the "found footage" of a notorious late night TV show from 1977 where one of the guests was a young girl supposedly possessed by the devil. The whole thing is complete fiction, but it's really done excellently. The late night TV show episode (which is shown in its entirety) is a brilliant recreation of the sub-Tonight Show genre of the period, and David Dastmalchian does a wonderful job of making the host seem realistic, and the scenario plausible. The only time I've seen a film or drama take this form before was in the BBC's notorious Ghostwatch. This is more realistic than that, and it doesn't make a misstep at all until the final ten minutes where it can't resist the chance to go batshit crazy (sadly, the problem with so many modern horror movies). That final ten minutes ruins some of the spell of what has gone before, but not completely. This is an unusual and absorbing little movie, and well worth a watch.

Last night I saw the Imprint release of The Unseen, a 1945 movie that was set up as being in the mould of The Uninvited, but really has nothing to do with that movie except the director and star. The Unseen is one of those films that flickered away on our TV screens quite regularly forty to fifty years ago, and then disappeared entirely. The only copy I had prior to this was less "unseen" and more "unwatchable." But it's a case of "after you get what you want, you don't want it." The chance to see a decent print of it reveals this sought-after film to actually be quite ordinary, really. There's nothing wrong with it, and it's entertaining enough, but it's not as good as I remembered, and the relationship between Joel McCrea and Gail Russell is never really convincing. There are shades of Turn of the Screw here - a new governess arrives to look after two kids who haven't completely said goodbye to their old governess yet. However, in this instance, there's nothing ghostly going on, just a couple of cases of murder. There's also elements of Gaslight. The print used by Imprint is, oddly, the very same one that I had as a computer file which was unwatchable. Now it looks mostly fine - certainly not the best 1945 film I've ever seen on blu ray - but the weird buzzing noises are still there, and quite off-putting when they appear. You'd think Imprint would have made an explicit warning about the deficiencies of the print considering how much they're charging for it. But hey, I never thought we'd see The Unseen on blu ray, so it's good to have the movie back out there and in circulation - although the issues with the print might well mean that it doesn't get taken up by labels outside of Imprint itself.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Last night I revisited Teaching Mrs Tingle, a film which is very silly indeed, but rather fun.

Tonight, watched V for Vendetta which, oddly, I had never got around to seeing before, despite there being quite a fuss about it at the time of release. It's easy to see why, given the anti-establishment messaging throughout (which isn't exactly subtle). Watching it in 2024 is a rather odd experience, not least because British Television News, the TV station featured in the film, is almost a prototype for GBNews, and there is reference to a pandemic and a contaminated water supply - we had Covid in 2020, and water supplies in a couple of regions of the Uk have been contaminated this year. If you throw in the anti-establishment underpinnings, it's almost as if those wrote the film in 2005 were psychic. It gets a rating of 8.2 on IMDB, but I don't think it's quite as good as that, although it's very entertaining and there are some fine performances and direction. But there are parts that just don't hold together, and other parts that are more than a little disturbing in the current climate. That doesn't mean I think anyone is likely to blow up Parliament anytime soon - but, as we have seen with Trump and people like Farage, the anti-establishment message always comes from people who are in themselves establishment figures.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Last week, I managed to pick up volumes 2 and 3 of the "Noir Archive" series issued by Mill Creek. I already had volume 1. Each volume contains three discs with three films on each. All (or nearly all) are B-movies from Columbia, some of which have been issued in the UK in the Indicator series. I'm not sure I'd characterise them all as film noirs, but they are B-movie crime stories, and they all look pretty good for sets of nine that cost about £30 each - although I got these latest volumes for £20 each. All are region A coded.

Tonight I watched the first film from volume 3, which is The Shadow on the Window, a crime thriller from 1957 in which a young boy sees his mother attacked by a trio of hoodlums and then goes into shock. The film switches between the hoodlums holding the mother hostage and the police trying to find them. It's a decent time-filler, even if it's pretty run-of-the-mill. Philip Carey as the detective (and father of the boy) gives a pretty low key performance given what's at stake for the character, and the hoodlums are headed up by John Barrymore Jr - who never could act very well, and would, no doubt, have never had a career if it wasn't for being part of the Barrymore clan. At 70 minutes or so, it doesn't outstay its welcome, and it's never dull. And in a set where each film is about £3, it's hard to complain.

ForeverElvis
Registered for: 21 years 2 months

Post by ForeverElvis »

ForeverElvis wrote:As the summer movie season progresses, I wanted to mention the films I have seen so far at the cinema. In the past few years, I haven’t had the opportunity to go very often, but employment now affords me that opportunity to go with friends and family.

In the past six or seven weeks I have seen -

Civil War
Kingdom of the planet of the apes
Godzilla X Kong
The fall guy
Furiosa

And upcoming films, I hope to catch -
The bike riders
Horizon parts one and two
Twisters

I missed Ghostbusters -frozen empire but I’ll catch that at home.

Civil War -
Excellent, thought-provoking film. Solid performances all around, but especially Jesse Plemons’s brief appearance.
The $50 million budget, the largest for an independent film, shows on the screen. This isn’t a large scale action film, but a character study. It doesn’t take one side or the other of current American politics, but it does make you think. The oft-repeated saying, “those who forget history are doomed to repeat it“ applies here. it will disturb you. Don’t miss it.

Kingdom of the planet of the apes -
I have been so impressed with the modern retelling of this franchise. I find it hard to fault any of the first films. Rise, Dawn, and War were all strong films. Kingdom lives up to these and it is a welcome addition.
The special effects are fantastic, CGI is seamless. In the future when actors are recognized for performance capture these films will be seen as groundbreaking. I urge those on the fence about seeing any of these to dive in and start with Rise of the planet of the apes and follow them in order with Dawn, War and this film, kingdom.

Godzilla x Kong -
This is the weakest in the Legendary series of Godzilla/Kong films of the last decade. Godzilla(2014) and Kong skull Island (2017) we well-made, fun, monster films. These films had great action sequences and equal parts human story. The last three - Godzilla: King of the monsters, Godzilla vs Kong and now Godzilla x Kong all share my main criticism of any superhero or monster film - the CGI and monster sequences become highly repetitive, go on too long leaving little time for the human story. That is woefully apparent in this film, which must have the fewest dialogue scenes in the series. This film has done well worldwide which means they’ll be another, but I am growing tired of it all.
But, on the bright side, I am really looking forward to seeing Godzilla minus one.

The fall guy -
This is a wonderful cinematic movie experience. Blunt and Gosling have real chemistry. The rest of the cast is very good and the Stunt sequences are spectacular. It has mystery, thrills romance, comedy- everything a summer blockbuster needs. It’s a fun movie, a damn good time at the theater. Even though its premise is based on an old TV show, it is original filmmaking. It’s a shame it’s a financial flop at the box office - people are really missing out.

Furiosa
This is spectacular filmmaking. The desert hasn’t looked this fantastic on film since Lawrence of Arabia. Direction, Cinematography, editing, and especially sound mix are a filmmaking achievement.

I always find the Mad Max films hard to describe to somebody. It doesn’t seem enough to say it’s set in the post apocalyptic future where roving gangs roam the Australian outback and indiscriminately kill over food, water, oil and gas.

The vehicle designs are imaginative mashups of multiple cars. The villain rides around in a chariot, not pulled by horses, but by three motorcycles.

This is a revenge film about a young girl that is kidnapped from her home, loses her family and must survive amongst the crazed dictators of the Wasteland. Chris Hemsworth is outstanding as the lead villain that Furiosa seeks revenge against. Anya Taylor-Joy as the adult Furiosa is very good. She possesses an expressive face and is able to convey so much with her eyes and body movement. Alyla Browne as the young Furiosa is excellent. This is a must see in the cinema seeing it at home will diminish your enjoyment of the film.

Go to the Cinema, have a great time at the movies!
Godzilla Minus One
Wonderful film.
This is everything Godzilla x Kong should have been.
The Oscar-Winning visual effects are spectacular. The effects don’t overwhelm and there is lots of room for the touching, realistic human story.

Don’t let this being a Godzilla film turn you off, Godzilla is only on screen for about 12 minutes, the rest of the film is spent on the characters.

Take a chance, you’ll be glad you did.

Always Elvis
Anthony

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

I've re-watched Giant (1956)--with Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson and James Dean. I last played my copy of it in 2019. I found GIANT is still a timeless epic after all these years.

Anyone here a fan of the movie?

Spoiler alert...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_(1956_film)

I liked this quote by Ivan Moffat: The Making of Giant :D

"There are scenes that weren't in the book. For instance, the scene where Rock Hudson fights in a bar while the jukebox plays The Yellow Rose of Texas was our invention. Also, that wake scene at the ranch that gets out of hand and turns into a Texas "whoop-de-do." Edna Ferber didn't like that: She said to me, "You are a lot of necrophiliacs."

Full article here, if anyone is interested?

https://americanlegends.com/Interviews/dean_moffat.htm

pmp

Post by pmp »

Today, I received in the post the newly-released (in the US) three film set of early movies by Francois Ozon. It contains Sitcom, Criminal Lovers, and Water Drops on Burning Rocks - Ozon's first three feature length movies. A nice package for £22 for three movies.

It was always a must buy because of Sitcom, which is up there with my favourite movies. It's bizarre, subversive and, it's fair to say, pretty perverted, too. An upper class French family finds itself being changed by the arrival of ... a pet rat. As it bites each member of the family (and their spouses), the rat affects them. The son turns gay and starts hosting orgies, the daughter throws herself out of the window and becomes a wheelchair-bound sadomasochist. Her boyfriend (poor chap) has an affair with the maid. As for the mother and the father...well, errr...we won't mention that. It is bizarre and sometimes unsettling, but often very funny, and benefits from a very fine cast including Evelyne Dandry and the then up-and-coming Stephane Rideau - I'm not sure there was ever a more handsome actor on the screen. It's relatively brief at just under 80 minutes, and director Ozon (directing his first feature) is still learning his craft, and some things don't work (including the flashback structure and, in many respects, the completely bonkers climactic scene). But it's great fun, and the release of this was enough to turn him into the latest enfant terrible of French cinema. The film looks great on the blu ray (with the exception of the opening scene and one shot lasting a few seconds), and the set has an interview with Rideau (sadly we all have to grow older) and a video essay on the three films

Word of warning: if you ever seek out Sitcom, don't watch it with your parents.

pmp

Post by pmp »

It's nice to see Eureka returning to silent movies in their more recent announcements. Last month a Laurel and Hardy set was announced - I'm no fan, to be honest, but it's good to see L&H silent movies coming out nonetheless. This month they've announced a 10 blu ray set of the four surviving silent serials made by Louis Feuillade - Fantomas, Les Vampires, Tih-Minh and Judex. Of the four, I've only seen Fantomas from beginning to end, but it's great to see how influential these serials were when it comes to criminal masterminds in fiction and film - from Dr Mabuse through to the various criminal characters in Batman. And at £79 for a 10 blu ray set in a 2000 limited print run, that's pretty good going. Anyone still think 3 soundboards for £50 is a bargain?

Greystoke
Registered for: 1 year 5 months

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:27 am
It's nice to see Eureka returning to silent movies in their more recent announcements. Last month a Laurel and Hardy set was announced - I'm no fan, to be honest, but it's good to see L&H silent movies coming out nonetheless. This month they've announced a 10 blu ray set of the four surviving silent serials made by Louis Feuillade - Fantomas, Les Vampires, Tih-Minh and Judex. Of the four, I've only seen Fantomas from beginning to end, but it's great to see how influential these serials were when it comes to criminal masterminds in fiction and film - from Dr Mabuse through to the various criminal characters in Batman. And at £79 for a 10 blu ray set in a 2000 limited print run, that's pretty good going. Anyone still think 3 soundboards for £50 is a bargain?
Much like last year, and over recent years, we're spoiled for choice with regards to Blu-ray and 4K releases, and it's always encouraging to have a new announcement from Eureka. Their Louis Feuillade box set is very appealing, and it certainly looks like the second half of the year is going to be stacked with releases from numerous labels that I'm eager to get hold of. It will be interesting to see what Arrow announce for their next slate later today.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Greystoke wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:22 pm
pmp wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:27 am
Much like last year, and over recent years, we're spoiled for choice with regards to Blu-ray and 4K releases, and it's always encouraging to have a new announcement from Eureka. Their Louis Feuillade box set is very appealing, and it certainly looks like the second half of the year is going to be stacked with releases from numerous labels that I'm eager to get hold of. It will be interesting to see what Arrow announce for their next slate later today.
Indeed. Warner Archive also announced their slate for August today, which includes Words and Music, Three Little Words, and the complete Top Cat!

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

I have watched the 60-year old Sci-Fi/ Drama "Fail Safe" saturday night...

Anyone here a fan of the movie? I still am :D

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:08 am
I have watched the 60-year old Sci-Fi/ Drama "Fail Safe" saturday night...

Anyone here a fan of the movie? I still am :D

I haven't seen it in a long time, but it's certainly a film that I like. I'm sure we've discussed it on here at some point over the years.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Tonight I saw the 1976 thriller, Two Minute Warning, which stars Charlton Heston as a cop trying to avert a disaster when he learns that there is a sniper at a key American football match. The first hour of the movie is really rather dull. We get introduced to the various groups of people in the crowd whose lives will be impacted, but their back stories are uninvolving, and we don't get to know any of them particularly well - so there's little effect on the viewer when they start getting killed or injured. The second hour is better, and the scenes of crowd panic are handled particularly well, but it's not enough to save the film from being in the third tier of the distaster movie cycle of the period.

Meanwhile, as we have reached the middle of the year, here's a list of all films viewed so far in 2024. Asterisks mean that I haven't seen the film before. The score reflects how much I enjoyed it on that particular day rather than the film's worth.

The Amityville Horror. 1979. 5/10
*Athena. 1955. 5/10
The Black Cat. 1934. 8/10
*Body Snatchers: The Invasion Continues. 1993. 5/10
Bride of Chucky. 1998. 8/10
*Captain Clegg. 1961. 5/10
The Case of the Black Cat. 1936. 6/10
Cast a Dark Shadow. 1955. 8/10
The Cat and the Canary. 1927. 7/10
Cherry Falls. 2000. 7/10
*Chevalier. 2022. 6/10
*Children of the Corn. 1984. 7/10
*Children of the Corn: Final Sacrifice. 1992. 5/10
*Children of the Corn 3. 1955. 6/10
The Chocolate War. 1988. 8/10
Citizen Kane. 1942. 8/10
City of Fear. 1958. 6/10
The City of the Dead (aka: Horror Hotel). 1961. 7/10
Crossfire. 1947. 8/10
*Convict 13. 1920. 6/10
*Count Dracula. 1970. 5/10
*Curse of Chucky. 2013. 7/10
*The Curse of the Crying Woman. 1963. 5/10
Cursed. 2005. 6/10
The Cry of the Werewolf. 1944. 5/10
*Danza Macabra. 1964. 6/10
*Daughter of the Dragon. 1931. 5/10
*Dead of Night. 1977. 7/10
*The Devil Doll. 1936. 6/10
Disturbing Behaviour. 1998. 6/10
Double Trouble. 1967. 6/10
*Duke Bluebeard’s Castle. 1963. 7/10
*Dracula AD 1972. 1972. 5/10
The Eagle has Landed. 1975. 7/10
Extreme Ops. 2002. 6/10
*The Fall of the House of Usher. 1928. 5/10
*The Fall of the House of Usher. 1942. 5/10
*Femme. 2023. 7/10
*Figaro. 1929. 9/10
Final Destination 2. 2003. 7/10
Final Destination 3. 2006. 5/10
The Final Destination. 2009. 5/10
Final Destination 5. 2011. 7/10
The First Time. 2012. 8/10
*Five Nights at Freddy’s. 2023. 7/10
The Ghost Writer. 2010. 7/10
Great Expectations. 1946. 9/10
*Hard Luck. 1921. 6/10
*The Haunted House. 1921. 7/10
Hellbent. 2004. 6/10
*Hello, Frisco, Hello. 1943. 8/10
*Hit the Deck. 1955. 6/10
The Horrors of the Black Museum. 1959. 7/10
The Hound of the Baskervilles. 1959. 7/10
*The Howling. 1980. 5/10
The Hunger Games. 2012. 9/10
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. 2013. 7/10
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay part 1. 2014. 6/10
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay part 2. 2015. 5/10
*Inner Sanctum. 1948. 6/10
*Island of Terror. 1966. 6/10
It Came from Outer Space. 1953. 7/10
Jack the Ripper. 1959. 5/10
*The Johnstown Floor. 8/10
*Late Night with the Devil. 2023. 8/10
*The Life of Emile Zola. 1937. 10/10
*The Long Arm. 1956. 9/10
*The Lost World. 1925. 8/10
The Man Who Knew Too Much. 1934. 6/10
My Name is Julia. 1945. 8/10
My Soul to Take. 2010. 6/10
The Mystery of Marie Roget. 1942. 5/10
The Nanny. 1965. 9/10
Nerve. 2016 8/10
Night of Terror. 1933. 5/10
*The Night of the Party 1934. 5/10
A Nightmare on Elm Street 5. 1988. 6/10
Peeping Tom. 1960. 8/10
*Permission to Kill. 1975. 6/10
*The Pioneers of British Cinema (doc). 2022. 7/10
The Quatermass Experiment. 1955. 6/10
The Raven. 1935. 8/10
Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase. 2001. 7/10
Scooby-Doo and the Lake Monster. 2010. 6/10
Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island. 1998. 8/10
*See No Evil. 1971. 6/10
*Seed of Chucky. 2004. 3/10
*The Shadow on the Window. 1957. 7/10
*The Shed. 2018. 7/10
*Sherlock Holmes’s Fatal Hour. 1931. 6/10
Sherlock Holmes: Masks of Death. 1984. 4/10
Sinister. 2012. 7/10
Sinister 2. 2015. 5/10
Sitcom. 1998. 8/10
The Skull. 1965. 6/10
The Skulls. 2000. 7/10
The Sorcerers. 1967. 6/10
Spellbound. 1944. 7/10
*Stage Mother, 2020. 7/10
*A Study in Scarlet. 1933. 4/10
Teaching Mrs. Tingle. 1999. 7/10
*Thanksgiving. 2023. 6/10
The Tijuana Story. 1957. 6/10
*The Tomb of Ligeia. 1964. 7/10
Trage Liefde. 2007. 7/10
Two Minute Warning. 1976. 6/10
Un Chant d’Amour. 1950. 8/10
The Unseen. 1945. 6/10
Unman, Wittering and Zigo. 1971. 8/10
*V for Vendetta. 2005. 7/10
*Walk a Crooked Mile. 1948. 7/10
Went the Day Well. 1942. 10/10
*The Whistler. 1944. 6/10
White Zombie. 1932. 7/10
*The Witch’s Mirror. 1962. 7/10
*Wonka. 2023. 9/10
X The Unknown. 1956. 8/10

Miscellaneous:
Vienna Blood (series 3) 7/10
*The Nutcracker (ballet) 7/10
Wreck (season 1) 8/10
*Wreck (season 2) 6/10
*The Hardy Boys (Disney plus, season 1) 7/10
*Famous Five (3 feature-length episodes, BBC) 8/10
*Dead Boy Detectives (Netflix) 8/10
*Verdi: Attilla (opera) 8/10

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I watched Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F last night, which isn't a film I was eagerly anticipating, and whilst it's affable, I also found it rather stale and flat, with a dependence on goodwill for the central character and brand for it to work. I couldn't afford it that much goodwill, especially when Eddie Murphy, returning to probably his most famous role, can't muster the same kind of anarchic and subversive energy he once did.

Granted, Murphy is able and he's able to do other things, but this isn't a film that's asking anything else or anything more of him than we've seen before. This is a film that wants to do what it says on the tin. But with a thin plot and an underused Kevin Bacon, I was mildly amused more than wholly entertained.

Over the past couple of days I've also watched The Kentuckian, which I hadn't seen in a while; one of my favourite films of the past year, Monster, the original Thomas Crown Affair, and the effervescent and evergreen, Bande à part.

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

Greystoke wrote:I watched Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F last night, which isn't a film I was eagerly anticipating, and whilst it's affable, I also found it rather stale and flat, with a dependence on goodwill for the central character and brand for it to work. I couldn't afford it that much goodwill, especially when Eddie Murphy, returning to probably his most famous role, can't muster the same kind of anarchic and subversive energy he once did.

Granted, Murphy is able and he's able to do other things, but this isn't a film that's asking anything else or anything more of him than we've seen before. This is a film that wants to do what it says on the tin. But with a thin plot and an underused Kevin Bacon, I was mildly amused more than wholly entertained.

Over the past couple of days I've also watched The Kentuckian, which I hadn't seen in a while; one of my favourite films of the past year, Monster, the original Thomas Crown Affair, and the effervescent and evergreen, Bande à part.
I watched BHC Axel F last Wednesday. It was tired and stale. The worst kind of sequel - it rehashed the first three films. Telegraphed all its plot points. It was unfunny and dull.

Strictly by the numbers still making.

Always Elvis
Anthony

pmp

Post by pmp »

I saw the recent horror movie, "Baghead" tonight, which stars Freya Allan as a young woman who unexpectedly becomes the owner of a crumbling pub when her estranged father dies. What's more, there's a creature living in the basement who can give you two minutes with a deceased love one. But only two minutes. There are traces of an interesting movie here, but it's otherwise pretty bland stuff that seems to borrow some ideas from the better (but not much) Talk to Me. Jeremy Irvine co-stars, and I'm beginning to feel sorry for him, as he seems to keep ending up either in poor movies or in parts that don't suit him. In this film, it's a case of both. I was rewatching the first series of Dalgliesh last week, and had forgotten he was in two of the stories as a rather sleazy policeman - again, he's pretty awful in a role he's not suited for. He's been around for a long while now, so it seems strange that he's still only 34. Anyway, there's not much to recommend in Baghead.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 12:49 am
I saw the recent horror movie, "Baghead" tonight, which stars Freya Allan as a young woman who unexpectedly becomes the owner of a crumbling pub when her estranged father dies. What's more, there's a creature living in the basement who can give you two minutes with a deceased love one. But only two minutes. There are traces of an interesting movie here, but it's otherwise pretty bland stuff that seems to borrow some ideas from the better (but not much) Talk to Me. Jeremy Irvine co-stars, and I'm beginning to feel sorry for him, as he seems to keep ending up either in poor movies or in parts that don't suit him. In this film, it's a case of both. I was rewatching the first series of Dalgliesh last week, and had forgotten he was in two of the stories as a rather sleazy policeman - again, he's pretty awful in a role he's not suited for. He's been around for a long while now, so it seems strange that he's still only 34. Anyway, there's not much to recommend in Baghead.
I felt much the same way about Baghead. There are kernels of a better movie here, as you've said, and whilst the film's overarching tropes are familiar, it's poorly executed and awfully bland. And messy, for want of a better description, given the who, what, and where of the story. Talk to Me - which we've previously discussed - did something similar in a more effective and stylish fashion.

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by LSP-4445 »

Last movie I saw was Beverly Hills Cop - Axel F on Netflix.
I didnt have high hopes for this but I was still disappointed.
On the bright side it was better than Coming2America….that one was a biiiiig yawn and a waste of time.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Radiance has impressed me a lot during their short lifespan as a Blu-ray label, and their October slate, which wae announced today, might just be their strongest to date. I'm especially excited about the Daiei box set and a new restoration of Dogra Magra, but their Häxan release looks pretty special, too.

It's a while since we last discussed Häxan, but I think this might be one you'll also have an eye on, Shane. Although Eureka's Louis Feuillade box set is also out in October. As is 88 Films' 4K Project A box set, which is pretty high on my wishlist.

20240710_191826.jpg
20240710_191829.jpg
20240710_191831.jpg
20240710_191833.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Greystoke wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:27 pm
Radiance has impressed me a lot during their short lifespan as a Blu-ray label, and their October slate, which wae announced today, might just be their strongest to date. I'm especially excited about the Daiei box set and a new restoration of Dogra Magra, but their Häxan release looks pretty special, too.

It's a while since we last discussed Häxan, but I think this might be one you'll also have an eye on, Shane. Although Eureka's Louis Feuillade box set is also out in October. As is 88 Films' 4K Project A box set, which is pretty high on my wishlist.

Haxan!!! Who can resist mad nuns and people kissing the backside of the devil (IIRC!). Great to see it coming out in the UK.

Also great to have out on blu-ray is Go, which was issued at the back end of last year, and which I finally got around to watching it tonight - the last time I saw it was on VHS. I was rather wary, as I thought it was going to be one of those films that wasn't anywhere near as good as I remember. On the contrary, it remains a great viewing experience, with a smart and sassy script, a huge amount of energy, and some very fine performances. There are three "stories," each revolving around one of the people introduced in the opening sequence, and then brought together at the very end. There were comparisons with Tarantino when it came out (which nearly put me off seeing it at the cinema), and while there might be influences, it very much does its own thing, helped along by the young cast. The UK blu ray looks good (although the deleted scenes don't), but it's a shame there aren't some interviews with the cast that includes Katie Holmes, Scott Wolf and Taye Diggs. Very unusual for a film distributed through a major studio in 1999 to have a gay couple as main characters (in the final story), I might add.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Tonight I watched That's Entertainment, from the very nice warner Archive release on blu ray. I confess I partly chose it as it was OK to watch in two halves, either side of a tennis match! Those two hours of film just fly past, though, It's so brilliant put together for the most part (although I confess I tend to skip the Esther Williams section!). The Warner Archive release looks really good for the most part, too, although there are some short sections where it appears that rather faded prints were all that were available back in 1974. I really must get hold of the Rhino 6CD set that covers all three of the films, but it's quite expensive these days. But That's Entertainment and its sequels is especially good for reminding you of films you've still never got around to watching for some reason. The 3-disc Archive release is very much recommended and is, of course, region free.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2024 1:06 am
Tonight I watched That's Entertainment, from the very nice warner Archive release on blu ray. I confess I partly chose it as it was OK to watch in two halves, either side of a tennis match! Those two hours of film just fly past, though, It's so brilliant put together for the most part (although I confess I tend to skip the Esther Williams section!). The Warner Archive release looks really good for the most part, too, although there are some short sections where it appears that rather faded prints were all that were available back in 1974. I really must get hold of the Rhino 6CD set that covers all three of the films, but it's quite expensive these days. But That's Entertainment and its sequels is especially good for reminding you of films you've still never got around to watching for some reason. The 3-disc Archive release is very much recommended and is, of course, region free.
That's Entertainment is always a joy to watch, and I like parts two and three, also. Although the first one is especially good.

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

Greystoke wrote:
pmp wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2024 1:06 am
That's Entertainment is always a joy to watch, and I like parts two and three, also. Although the first one is especially good.
“That’s Dancing” was basically part 4.

Always Elvis
Anthony

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I saw Sleep at the cinema yesterday, which is the directorial debut of Jason Yu, and stars the late Lee Sun-kyun, who gives one of his best performances here as an anxiety-riddled actor. His wife, played by Jung Yu-mi, is expecting their first child, although their promising young future is disturbed by a bout of somnambulant behaviour from the soon-to-be father. Which comes to fracture the trust in their relationship and causes an increasing amount of fear about what he might do in an unsuspecting moment.

There's echoes of The Exorcist, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, and even Dark Water here, with Yu able to create a palpable mood that's occasionally broken in intelligent and amusing ways, although it's ramped up a tad too much in the final act. But this is a splendid debut from a director who is one to watch in the future.

Speaking of directors worth keeping an eye on, I watched Enys Men again last night, Mark Jenkin's 2022 Cornish folk horror, which is a film I find more fascinating and compelling after every viewing. I've seen it three times now, and whilst it's minimalist, unadorned, and poetic filmmaking, Jenkin undoubtedly has a certain style as a filmmaker. Here, shooting on 16mm with a 1:33:1 aspect ratio and distressed imagery that evokes time and place effectively, the film being set in 1973 on a remote Cornish island.

Mary Woodvine stars as a woman alone on the island, where her daily routine is interrupted by visions and hallucinations that grow increasingly more vivid. What she sees and experiences standing as metaphors for buried trauma on the island, and the experiences of a character who is looking inwardly during her seclusion. Her own mind taking her to the brink of madness.

r&b
Registered for: 6 years 4 months

Post by r&b »

The Girl Cant Help It - finally got a blu-ray version and its magnificent.

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I watched Calamity Jane this morning, which is always a joy, with Doris Day giving one of her finest and certainly most effervescent performances. And it's so smart, sharp, beautifully shot and choreographed, with splendid songs and a fine cast.