More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: FECC-Moderator, Moderator5, Moderator3, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Brian Quinn
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Elvis' RIAA DVD/VHS Awards

Post by Brian Quinn »

DVD/VIDEO

Below is a list of RIAA DVD/Video Long Form Awards for which Elvis has received gold, platinum or multi-platinum awards for:

He Touched Me - The Gospel Songs Of Elvis Presley * (PLATINUM) DVD)

He Touched Me - The Gospel Songs Of Elvis Presley * (Vol.2) (2XMP) (DVD)

Elvis 68 Comeback - (Special Edition) (2XMP) (DVD)

Aloha From Hawaii - (De-Luxe-Edition) (4XMP) (DVD)

Aloha From Hawaii - (Special Edition) (2XMP) (DVD)

Elvis 68 Comeback Special (De-Luxe Edition) (4XMP) (DVD)

Elvis No.1 Hit Performances (PLATINUM) (DVD)

Elvis Lives (PLATINUM) (DVD)

Elvis By The Presleys (2XMP) (DVD)

The Lost Performances (PLATINUM) (Video Long Form) (VHS)

Great Performances (Vol.1) * (2XMP) DVD)

Great Performances (Vol.2) * (2XMP) (DVD)

68 Comeback Special (1986 Release) (GOLD) (Video Long Form)

Aloha From Hawaii (1986 Release) (PLATINUM) (Video Long Form).

* These releases are now available as Double DVD packages.

The sales criteria for DVD/Video Long Form Awards are as follows:

50,000 - Gold

100,000 - Platinum

200,000 - Multi Platinum.

Re-certification is at each 100,000 unit sales level.

Brian

Marko
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Elvis' RIAA DVD/VHS Awards

Post by Marko »

Interesting to note that neither TTWII or EOT have sold enough even for a Gold status.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

Ty@TheFilmFrontier

Post by Ty@TheFilmFrontier »

Thanks for the list, Brian. Aside from The Lost Performances, are the MGM documentaries eligible for inclusion? Wondering if they count differently because they are movies (much like how Blue Hawaii is not on the list).

Troy

Jaime1234
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by Jaime1234 »

That's right, they are not eligible, as they were motion pictures shown in theatres. So looking at the list kindly provided by Brian Quinn, this is how more or less the tallies will look like, if the RIAA ever launches a list if most awarded artits, in the long form video category

Artist.........................GOLD.............Platinum...................Muti Platinum

Presley, Elvis............ ..9......................7................................7

As to millions of video units sold

Presley, Elvis............. 2.650,000 units.

Marko

Post by Marko »

Interesting. I didn't know that theater released motion pictures don't qualify. Are these DVD/Blu-ray sales documented anywhere?

Wonder why Beatles movie Help! does qualify? It's certified 5 x Platinum sales. It certainly was released in theaters.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

Jaime1234

Post by Jaime1234 »

Sorry, I meant theatrically released movies which were then released on VCR, which EOT and TTWII were. "Help", ( and any of the others for which Elvis got RIAA video awards) wasn't, released on VCR, that is.

minkahed
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by minkahed »

Marko wrote:Interesting to note that neither TTWII or EOT have sold enough even for a Gold status.
A damn shame for the "That's The Way It Is" DVD, but had they not shown the thing on tv 2 days before they released it, we might have a big "Hit' with it.

I think we all know why "Elvis On Tour" didn't garner much sales to begin with so, no need to get into that big scuff.

Another waste.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

minkahed
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by minkahed »

Jaime1234 wrote:Sorry, I meant theatrically released movies which were then released on VCR, which EOT and TTWII were. "Help", ( and any of the others for which Elvis got RIAA video awards) wasn't, released on VCR, that is.
Unless my copy is a boot, I doubt it, that has got to be erroneous.

If I recall correctly, "Help" was released on VHS in the 80's.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Marko

Post by Marko »

minkahed wrote:
Jaime1234 wrote:Sorry, I meant theatrically released movies which were then released on VCR, which EOT and TTWII were. "Help", ( and any of the others for which Elvis got RIAA video awards) wasn't, released on VCR, that is.

At least in Europe it was released on VHS and so was A Hard Day's Night and Magical Mystery Tour.

RIIA site does give this info for the criteria:

Certification Criteria

Along with minimum sales figures, a number of other criteria accompany each title for certification. The list and table below describe what titles and types of sales can be considered for the awards.
Each company that requests RIAA® certification must be a firm or corporation that has headquarters in the United States and is engaged in the legitimate production and sale of sound recordings.
Recordings become eligible for certification 30 days after initial street date. Audio and music video titles may be requested for award certification starting 30 days after product is commercially available to consumers.
Only domestic sales and sales to U.S. military post exchanges may be included. The requesting company must separate PX sales from other accounts on sales sheets. Export sales outside the United States are not included in certification.
Club sales and club free goods may be included towards certification. Product shipped to retail, mail order, record clubs, TV marketing and other ancillary markets are combined toward certified sales. All shipments to these accounts must be verified by the label.
Promotional radio and press copies, cut-outs, inventory sell-offs and surplus sales are not included toward certification.
Catalog product, specifically pre-1972 album releases, are eligible for certification by meeting either the unit shipment or manufacturer's dollar requirement for each award level.

Music Video Longform

Gold
Quantity:
50,000 units

Platinum
Quantity:
100,000 units

Multi-Platinum
Quantity:
200,000 units

Requirements:
*Defined as a title that has not been theatrically released prior to distribution.

Recertified at 100,000 unit sales level.

It doesn't look like Help! should qualify.
Last edited by Marko on Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garyt
Registered for: 17 years

Post by garyt »

Jaime1234 wrote: Artist.........................GOLD.............Platinum...................Muti Platinum

Presley, Elvis............ ..9......................7................................7

As to millions of video units sold

Presley, Elvis............. 2.650,000 units.
Is Elvis the top seller of DVDS/VHS or is it the Beatles or Jackson?

Visit my site for fans elvis-people

Jaime1234

Post by Jaime1234 »

Last edited by Jaime1234 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaime1234

Post by Jaime1234 »

There's 2,400 entries at the video long form database, some repetitive as they are issued by levels, given to numerous artists. When one looks in the RIAA database, for video long/form, whch excludes viso singles and boxes, then clicks for the highest selling video, the Eagles appear with a video long form that's 30X platinum, which means that it sold 3 million units. The only other they have sold 800,000. By that measure alone, Elvis could,'t be video's top seller, in terms of units, as he is in the singles category (51.5 million), or as he is second in the album category (134.5 million). But he could be in the number of different titles, he's got 9 different ones that made Gold, out of which 7 made platinum and multi platinum totalling I believe 2.4 million. I'll start looking , but for example, Foxforthy has a video that's 29X Platinu, and a Jeff Dunham one for 20X. "Miachel jackson's Number ones" video, not sure which type, lomngform, od multi box, appears with 11XPlatinun, which means that that video alone sold 1.1 million. he's got another with 9 XP or 900,000 additional units and another with 6X Platinum. Groups like ACDC and zeppelin have videos that sold 1.3 and 1.2 million each. New Kids have one for 1 million. Highest by the Beatkes seems to be Help with 500,000 units.

elvis-fan
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by elvis-fan »

minkahed wrote: