Official FECC Feature Request Thread

This section is to discuss forum related matters. Per guidelines, disciplinary actions taken against member(s) past and present will not be discussed.
We understand some discussion may become heated, but all we ask is that you remain civil at all times. This forum is meant to give you, the member, an outlet to discuss how we can improve the forum in many different ways. Therefore, it is to be used to come up with solutions - not cause more problems!

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Francesc

Re: Official FECC Feature Request Thread

Post by Francesc »

Do people like those yellow stars? They make the whole thing too busy, but overall it is great.

Elvisgirl
Registered for: 20 years 3 months

Post by Elvisgirl »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Elvisgirl wrote:and now I can't see some pictures and avatars..it looks like this
Fixed.. Was that server-gremlin again.....
I still can't see some of the avatars

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Registered for: 21 years 4 months
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Elvisgirl wrote:
fecc-mechanic wrote:
Elvisgirl wrote:and now I can't see some pictures and avatars..it looks like this
Try hard refreshing your browser ---> ctl+f5 on your keyboard.

All the best from Mempihs
Jordan

ImageImage

fa-boltfa-boltPlease send all tech support requests to: tech@elvicities.comfa-boltfa-bolt

Make sure to visit my friends at the EAP society! It's a movement! For all generations of fans! And it's worth supporting!!!

Elvisgirl

Post by Elvisgirl »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Elvisgirl wrote:
fecc-mechanic wrote:
Try hard refreshing your browser ---> ctl+f5 on your keyboard.
that did it. thanks :D

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Tony Trout wrote:Hey, Jordan!

How about implementing a "Multi-Quote" function for the board? I've see that used on MANY forums! TCB-World and Elvis: It's A Matter Of Time are two message boards I know of that use this wonderful feature.
There's a multi-quote function enabled on the quick reply box.. Just highlight what you want to quote and click the "quote selected" link.

Ok, thanks, bro!

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

Polk Salad Andy
Registered for: 12 years

Post by Polk Salad Andy »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Elvisgirl wrote:
Polk Salad Andy wrote:Jordan, what has happened to the thank button? Has it disappeared or am I not seeing it?

Regards,
Andy
I can't see it either!
Odd!
I think we have a server-gremlin! Fixed!
Thanks for fixing the gremlin! :smt006

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by Renan »

Jordan,

I didn't have the time to read all the posts here, so I'm not sure if this has been suggested but is it possible to tag one person when you create a topic? Just like we do in facebook.

Thanks in advance,
Renan.

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Hi Renan.
Nobody has suggested that, but it sounds interesting. something like @Renan or something like that -- but then have it add some sort of functionality like member notification/link to profile?

Jordan

ImageImage

fa-boltfa-boltPlease send all tech support requests to: tech@elvicities.comfa-boltfa-bolt

Make sure to visit my friends at the EAP society! It's a movement! For all generations of fans! And it's worth supporting!!!

KevinK
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by KevinK »

Hi Jordan,

Another request, if possible. Again, I'm picking things I've seen on other forums, but that I think are either useful, fun, or interesting..

When a user thanks another user in an individual post, is it possible to see their username at the bottom of that post? So it would show up as ..

Thanks From: KevinK; JohnDoe; MaryJane;

If you see what I mean..

Thanks,

Kev.

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Thanks Kevin!
I have now re-added this functionality.

Jordan

ImageImage

KevinK
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by KevinK »

Nice one!
It's the little things in life.. 8)

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

Jordan,

Once again, I'd like to see something on the boards where it would be possible for us to make a hyper-link much easier. For example, if I were to post a link to an article about the recent shootings in Conneticut, it would be nice to be able to write out the actual newspaper's headline on here and have the hyper-link embedded in the headline. Make sense? Here's JUST an example:

"Connetticut Still Mourning Loss Of Children & Teachers" (link embedded in the headline)

The actual "link" should be embedded inside those words and people would just click on them.

Another example: "ELVIS FOUND ALIVE!" (link embedded in the headline)

It's not that I'm too lazy to write out the URL and put the link in that way, it just seems easier to be able to write out the words and embed the link into those words or headlines.

God, I hope that made sense because it almost confused me......

Anyway, I hope you get an idea of what I'm referring to.....

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Tony,
I doubt this is possible with BBcode - but I will look into it.

Jordan

ImageImage

Elvisgirl

Post by Elvisgirl »

Tony Trout wrote:Jordan,

Once again, I'd like to see something on the boards where it would be possible for us to make a hyper-link much easier. For example, if I were to post a link to an article about the recent shootings in Conneticut, it would be nice to be able to write out the actual newspaper's headline on here and have the hyper-link embedded in the headline. Make sense? Here's JUST an example:

"Connetticut Still Mourning Loss Of Children & Teachers" (link embedded in the headline)

The actual "link" should be embedded inside those words and people would just click on them.

Another example: "ELVIS FOUND ALIVE!" (link embedded in the headline)

It's not that I'm too lazy to write out the URL and put the link in that way, it just seems easier to be able to write out the words and embed the link into those words or headlines.

God, I hope that made sense because it almost confused me......

Anyway, I hope you get an idea of what I'm referring to.....
is that the same thing as I suggested on page one?:
Elvisgirl wrote:when you want to make a link look like this: example, would it be possible to add some buttons that you can press on, instead of having to type the url part?

Renan

Post by Renan »

fecc-mechanic wrote:Hi Renan.
Nobody has suggested that, but it sounds interesting. something like @Renan or something like that -- but then have it add some sort of functionality like member notification/link to profile?
For example (a funny one): I create a topic to show everybody how much I love the song My Boy and I want to make sure the guys that hate My Boy reads the topic. So I would tag them writing their login names in the topic. Something like: "check this fecc-mechanic and drjohncarpenter". (just an example LOL). With this, a tag would be created and these names would appear as hyperlink (tried to create with the blue color and the underline), like it is on facebook and the person would be notified via e-mail or through PM that they were tagged. Did you get the idea?

Renan

Post by Renan »

This could be very helpful in some topics. Just one more example: suppose I'm discussing Elvis On Tour footage and the discussion is very interesting and I know a person here in FECC could help with the knowlegde in this matter. So I would tag it like this: "fecc-mechanic, can you add your thoughts here?"

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Hi Renan,
Cool. Yeah, that's what I assumed. I'll see what I can do over the next few days ;)

Jordan

ImageImage

Renan

Post by Renan »

Great Jordan!

BTW, you're doing a terific job and thank you for taking your time to read all requests and trying to make it possible the suggestions.

::rocks

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Post by rjm »

These are wonderful ideas, especially about tagging. Because it may make it a bit cozier, and more intimate - that would add a friendlier vibe. (And some people are shy, too, about certain things, and hitting a button might make it easier for some, too.) As for the "auto-bbcode" function, instead of hand-coding it, that will probably take some work. Like those HTML editors that do auto-markup. I imagine it can be done, but do take your time; you've already done so much. And it's Christmastime!

One request could be considered, at some point, since it would make awkward situations more comfortable. If, say, I goof, and remember the wrong quote from the wrong book, it would be nice to correct it with an "Uh oh, My Bad" type smiley. Without having to go into detail.

Enjoy the holiday weekend, Jordan, you've earned it! I wish you and your family much merriment! :smt114

rjm

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

Elvisgirl

Post by Elvisgirl »

I just thought of something else...this is something I've only ever seen once before on another forum, that I can remember. I think it was called multi quote. if you wanted to quote more than one post in a thread there was a button under each post to click on, and then when you click "post reply" all the posts you wanted to quote, the ones you clicked on, was in the box where you type...I hope this makes sense

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Elvisgirl wrote:I just thought of something else...this is something I've only ever seen once before on another forum, that I can remember. I think it was called multi quote. if you wanted to quote more than one post in a thread there was a button under each post to click on, and then when you click "post reply" all the posts you wanted to quote, the ones you clicked on, was in the box where you type...I hope this makes sense
Hi.
This function is built in.. From the docs:

Code: Select all

Click Post Reply (in Full Editor, not Quick Reply) and scroll down to the Topic Review section at the bottom.

Simply click the "Quote" button next to each quote you want to insert in the reply and it will quote it in your post. [At this point you may want to hit ENTER on your keyboard to put space between the next quote] 

Scroll down again to Topic Review and proceed to select any other quotes you want included in your post. Done.

Jordan

ImageImage

Elvisgirl

Post by Elvisgirl »

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Elvisgirl wrote:I just thought of something else...this is something I've only ever seen once before on another forum, that I can remember. I think it was called multi quote. if you wanted to quote more than one post in a thread there was a button under each post to click on, and then when you click "post reply" all the posts you wanted to quote, the ones you clicked on, was in the box where you type...I hope this makes sense
Hi.
This function is built in.. From the docs:

Click Post Reply (in Full Editor, not Quick Reply) and scroll down to the Topic Review section at the bottom.

Simply click the "Quote" button next to each quote you want to insert in the reply and it will quote it in your post. [At this point you may want to hit ENTER on your keyboard to put space between the next quote] 

Scroll down again to Topic Review and proceed to select any other quotes you want included in your post. Done.
wow, I didn't know that (obviously)! thanks for enlightening me ::rocks

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

rjm wrote:
One request could be considered, at some point, since it would make awkward situations more comfortable. If, say, I goof, and remember the wrong quote from the wrong book, it would be nice to correct it with an "Uh oh, My Bad" type smiley. Without having to go into detail.

rjm

Good idea!
Have any in particular (from a google image search/etc) in mind?

Jordan

ImageImage

Topic author
fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

@Renan @rjm @fecc-mechanic

The tag function is now implemented.
To tag a member, and have them notified, simply surround their username with the tag code by typing their username and pressing the "tag" button like so:

[tag]someuser[/tag]
By default, when you are tagged you will be notified by private message.
To be notified by email, or to turn off notifications for this feature, go to:
User Control Panel ---->Board Preferences ----> Edit Posting Defaults
Then select your preferred option in the "Tags Notification Method" Dropdown box

Jordan

ImageImage

Renan

Post by Renan »

Great Jordan!

I received a PM confirming I was tagged.

THANK YOU!!!