More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Re: the coolest version of cc rider

Post by drjohncarpenter »

elviscollector101 wrote:hello ,

i am looking for the cool blues version off cc rider , i was thinking it was on the polk salad annie ftd but i am not for sure . there was a really awesome rocking version from i guess 1970 , i do not think elvis sang this in 69 . can someone please help and let me know what verison and show it is from and also what is your guy's fav version of it . thanks ::rocks
I suspect you are thinking of the slow, bluesy version of "That's All Right" Elvis did at an MGM rehearsal on 7-15-1970.

You'll find it in the best quality here:
Get Down And Dirty (Gravelroad Music, 2010)
http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/getdownanddirty.html

Elvis finest recording of Chuck Willis' "C.C. Rider" is the master, released in June 1970 on the On Stage: February 1970 album.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Tony..
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by Tony.. »

This was the PERFECT opening number for Elvis and even though I must have heard this song at least 5,000 times, it never gets old. Just the anticipation of the begining of an Elvis show, wether being there in person, or listening to any of the concerts, always excites. A great number. The perfect version would be on "Back with a bang" cd, but all 20 million versions are superb!!!

Albert Goldman
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Albert Goldman »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

i am looking for the cool blues version off cc rider , i was thinking it was on the polk salad annie ftd but i am not for sure . there was a really awesome rocking version from i guess 1970 , i do not think elvis sang this in 69 . can someone please help and let me know what verison and show it is from and also what is your guy's fav version of it . thanks ::rocks
I suspect you are thinking of the slow, bluesy version of "That's All Right" Elvis did at an MGM rehearsal on 7-15-1970.

Elvis finest recording of Chuck Willis' "C.C. Rider" is the master, released in June 1970 on the On Stage: February 1970 album.
Elvis might have preferred Willis' version, but I think that most likely he was also familiar with the earlier versions of the song. It had been around at least since 1920s when Ma Rainey recorded it.

Albert Goldman
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Albert Goldman »

Tony.. wrote:This was the PERFECT opening number for Elvis and even though I must have heard this song at least 5,000 times, it never gets old. Just the anticipation of the begining of an Elvis show, wether being there in person, or listening to any of the concerts, always excites. A great number. The perfect version would be on "Back with a bang" cd, but all 20 million versions are superb!!!
I have to agree about the opening number. Although, he should have dropped it after couple of years.

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

LaVern Baker recorded a great version under the title "See See Rider" in September 1962 (Atlantic single 2167). This reached Billboard's R&B Top Ten in December of that year. I bet Elvis knew this one, too.

r&b

Post by r&b »

Mister Moon wrote:LaVern Baker recorded a great version under the title "See See Rider" in September 1962 (Atlantic single 2167). This reached Billboard's R&B Top Ten in December of that year. I bet Elvis knew this one, too.

This is the coolest blues version along with Chuck Willis. Elvis did a rock version.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Mister Moon wrote:LaVern Baker recorded a great version under the title "See See Rider" in September 1962 (Atlantic single 2167). This reached Billboard's R&B Top Ten in December of that year. I bet Elvis knew this one, too.

There is little doubt that Elvis's rendition is influenced more by this recording than by Willis's. One only has to listen to Baker's rendition to hear where Elvis's vocal arrangement has its origins - there are moments where his phrasing is the same as hers, including the "what I say" comment at the end of lines and verses. The backing vocals are also the same as Presley's on the Baker version.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

On stage has the frickin edge that I love in this song. Man he was doing it right in that gig!!

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by frus75 »

I love the on stage version, and also the rehearsal first released on platinum. Have to confess I like the Hampton roads version very very much too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iván

La voz del Rey

FrankieRider2
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by FrankieRider2 »

The Hampton Roads '72 version is a favorite; he really attacks the song right out of the gate. And it's a perfect opener...

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

r&b wrote:

This is the coolest blues version along with Chuck Willis. Elvis did a rock version.
The only reason RCA released Elvis' live 1970 master as "See See Rider" was to avoid having to pay royalties to the Chuck Willis family. A typically despicable, greedy move by the company (and likely management).

Willis, "the King of the Stroll," died from peritonitis at the too-young age of 30, about a year after his 1957 R&B #1 hit recording of "C.C. Rider."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

drjohncarpenter wrote: The only reason RCA released Elvis' live 1970 master as "See See Rider" was to avoid having to pay royalties to the Chuck Willis family. A typically despicable, greedy move by the company (and likely management).
I didn't know that. It's a shame.

Despite having met success in his time, both as a performer and as a songwriter, Chuck Willis appears today as one of the great unsung heroes of early rock and roll. He was a great singer, and his songs almost always had a distinctive quality.

These two CD's contain almost everything one needs from his recorded works, and are totally recommended. The first one is an almost complete compilation of his recordings for OKeh (1951-1956), and the second one includes his entire works for Atlantic (1956-1958) :

http://www.amazon.com/Lets-Jump-Tonight-Best-1951-56/dp/B00000293C/ref=sr_1_7?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1387585738&sr=1-7&keywords=%22CHUCK+WILLIS%22

http://www.amazon.com/Stroll-Chuck-Willis-Collection/dp/B000002Z8P/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1387585738&sr=1-4&keywords=%22CHUCK+WILLIS%22

In 2068, he will probably be inducted into the RARHOF ! :D Well, who cares anyway ?

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

And it's worth noting that Presley's beautiful, breezy 1961 cover of Chuck Willis' "I Feel So Bad" follows the hit 1954 R&B single about as closely as any devoted fan can manage. It was blasting over Elvis' favorite Memphis radio stations that summer, just as his career at Sun was taking hold. The young man listened to a LOT of R&B in the summers of 1954 and 1955.

Chuck Willis "I Feel So Bad" (Okeh 7029, May 8, 1954)
Billboard R&B "Best Sellers In Stores" #8 on July 17, 1954

540508_Okeh 7029_Willis.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

stevelecher
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by stevelecher »

Thanks for posting that recording, Doc. Just love Elvis' version and it's great to hear how close to the original Elvis was. IMO, everything about Elvis' take is better, including his wonderful vocal, but it's neat to hear the influential recording.

Jim Dandy
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Jim Dandy »

FrankieRider2 wrote:The Hampton Roads '72 version is a favorite; he really attacks the song right out of the gate. And it's a perfect opener...
Yeah, and the imagery of that head role is great too.

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by mysterytrainrideson »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Yes, "On Stage" version is the best one.

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

r&b wrote:

Yes, these are super cool cuts. I also like Jerry Lee Lewis' 1961 Sun version.

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

Robert
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by Robert »

Jim Dandy wrote:
FrankieRider2 wrote:The Hampton Roads '72 version is a favorite; he really attacks the song right out of the gate. And it's a perfect opener...
I'll vote for the Hampton Roads version too.
Less polished' than 1970 but more impact and energy, I also prefer the up-tempo arrangement and the way how the TCB guys handle the song.

I always hoped they would have used it in the Elvis in concert video concerts as the Aloha version kicks off a bit flat.

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:

The only reason RCA released Elvis' live 1970 master as "See See Rider" was to avoid having to pay royalties to the Chuck Willis family. A typically despicable, greedy move by the company (and likely management).

Willis, "the King of the Stroll," died from peritonitis at the too-young age of 30, about a year after his 1957 R&B #1 hit recording of "C.C. Rider."
Record companies can be real a***holes....but the problem is they get away with it. When somone does have the balls to confront them, they threaten all sorts of legal action to try and scare them off. Most record companies are dishonest people, driven my sheer greed.

r&b

Post by r&b »

drjohncarpenter wrote:And it's worth noting that Presley's beautiful, breezy 1961 cover of Chuck Willis' "I Feel So Bad" follows the hit 1954 R&B single about as closely as any devoted fan can manage. It was blasting over Elvis' favorite Memphis radio stations that summer, just as his career at Sun was taking hold. The young man listened to a LOT of R&B in the summers of 1954 and 1955.

..Chuck Willis "I Feel So Bad" (Okeh 7029, May 8, 1954)

540508_Okeh 7029_Willis.JPG
Arguably his greatest 60'S recording.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:

We have been here before and, as stated in a previous thread, you have no proof as to this reasoning at all. Willis could not (and should not) have been claiming royalties for authorship of the song, since it was around since the mid-20s at least, when Ma Rainey recorded it as "See See Rider" - therefore Willis was either falsely claiming authorship or plagiarising if his name was listed as composer. Even claiming arrangement duties would still mean that Elvis and his company owed him and his family nothing, since Presley's version is radically different in arrangement.

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

Robert wrote:
Jim Dandy wrote:
I'll vote for the Hampton Roads version too.
Less polished' than 1970 but more impact and energy, I also prefer the up-tempo arrangement and the way how the TCB guys handle the song.

I always hoped they would have used it in the Elvis in concert video concerts as the Aloha version kicks off a bit flat.
The Aloha version is a bit flat?? If you're saying that there isn't much "energy" to the song, I will agree. But, he wasn't flat vocally on the song - although, at this point, this version is just a straight ahead version.

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

drjohncarpenter wrote:And it's worth noting that Presley's beautiful, breezy 1961 cover of Chuck Willis' "I Feel So Bad" follows the hit 1954 R&B single about as closely as any devoted fan can manage. It was blasting over Elvis' favorite Memphis radio stations that summer, just as his career at Sun was taking hold. The young man listened to a LOT of R&B in the summers of 1954 and 1955.
This is one of Elvis' best early 60s recordings, I think. And the fact that it was a big hit when released as a single, doesn't stop me from thinking it's one of his most underrated recordings ever, despite the very strong similarity with Chuck Willis' original.

The instrumental portion of the record is just out of this world, with a great Boots Randolph solo, and Elvis encouraging an incredibly cooking band behind him. Fabulous ! To me, this is on a par with anything on "Elvis Is Back !".

Although this recording wouldn't be issued until early May, I wish Elvis and the guys had performed this song a few days after they recorded it, in the Honolulu concert we all love. Imagine a live recording of this.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

r&b wrote:

Chuck Willis "I Feel So Bad" (Okeh 7029, May 8, 1954)

Elvis' cover is a joy. It's a shame it didn't chart higher than #5 on Billboard's Hot 100. Also notable is that it made #15 on their R&B chart. Very soon Presley would leave that one forever, which clearly reflects how he abandoned his craft for Hollywood.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

r&b

Post by r&b »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:

..Chuck Willis "I Feel So Bad" (Okeh 7029, May 8, 1954)

Elvis' cover is a joy. It's a shame it didn't chart higher than #5 on Billboard's Hot 100. Also notable is that it made #15 on their R&B chart. Very soon Presley would leave that one forever, which clearly reflects how he abandoned his craft for Hollywood.
Its a song that should be more well known. It seems radio goes from Hound Dog, LMT, & Jailhouse Rock right into In The Ghetto skipping over chestnuts like this. I talk about Elvis's vocal ability in the early 60s to my non-Elvis friends and they have no idea songs like this exist. Granted, it is 50 years ago and they tell me to get into the new century, but Im not talking about kids(who I can understand not caring about ancient recordings). Im talking about people my age and they have no idea these songs exist which means they were largely ignored all these years by radio playlists.