POLL: Elvis' remark about the 68 Special or about Memories?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

I'd like to do a song from my recent TV show, which wasn't very good. What was Elvis talking about?

The whole 68 TV Special.
79%
The song Memories only.
21%

Total votes: 67

Topic author
MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

POLL: Elvis' remark about the 68 Special or about Memories?

Post by MikeFromHolland »

This question came up in another thread about another topic:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93029#p1488781

Looking at the amount of replies and the arguments used in the discussion, It deserves it's own thread imo. I am not a native English speaker, so I really can't say for 100% Elvis talked about the TV-show (which I always thought) or only about the song Memories.

To prevent parts of the discussion being lost (they are all off topic in the other thread), I've copied them to this one:
Mike From Holland: Agreed. It's possible Elvis thought he nailed it though. Like he said about the '68 TV-show: you can't win them all. :wink:

drjohncarpenter: That statement wasn't made about the 1968 TV Special, nor was the actual comment serious.

MikeFromHolland: Always thought that. Never too old to learn :D . What show did he do mean?

drjohncarpenter: He made the comment very specifically introducing the song "Memories," a recent RCA single and featured in the December 1968 TV Special. It was a self-depreciating joke, and very typical of Elvis' usual stage banter, from as far back as 1956. Why he knocked it may be due to Sam Phillips' criticism after seeing the opening night that it ruined the pacing of the performance.

Here are two examples released by RCA/FTD:

8-21-1969 MS - "I'd like to do a song I just did from my recent TV show, which wasn't very good but ..."
8-26-1969 DS - "A song that I just did on my recent TV show, which wasn't too good, but, you know, you can't win 'em all, man ..."

ICanHelp: The "not very good" remark qualifies the 68 special and not the song Memories. MH was correct.

poormadpeter2: Indeed. Elvis may still have been joking about it not being very good (although we should remember reviews at the time were mixed) - but he's definitely talking about the show.

----

ICanHelp: The "not very good" remark qualifies the 68 special and not the song Memories. MH was correct.

drjohncarpenter: That's your interpretation of the statement, and we already know you have trouble parsing sentences. Since you choose to be declarative I'll do the same: you're wrong.

The NBC-TV program was a huge ratings success and propelled Elvis into 1969 on very strong footing. There would be no reason to put down his transcendent network appearance. Furthermore, it had just been re-run and garnered more attention. It seems far more plausible he felt uncomfortable doing "Memories" after his early mentor shot it down, and so the "jokes" began. If he felt like denigrating the event he could have made the comment before any number of songs that were screened on NBC the previous winter which were also in the set. But he did not.

The tongue-in-cheek intro is only known before "Memories." It is a reactive, subtle act by the singer. Feel free to do some of your own research on this and share with us what you discover. In the meantime, I'll remain rooted in the facts, and common sense reasoning, that I have now shared on two consecutive replies.

poormadpeter2: The only one having interpretation problems is yourself. Quite clearly, Elvis is joking about the show and not the song. The sentence structure also makes this clear. If he was talking about the song not being good, then the comment about show and song would have been juxtaposed:

"I recently did a TV show, and in it was a song which wasn't very good, but you can't win 'em all." There, he would have been talking about the song not being good, but that is not what is implied when he switches the song and TV show around in the sentence, not once, not twice, but three times - he says the same thing is said on the Collector's Gold version: "A song from my recent TV show, which was pretty bad, but you can't win 'em all."

Perhaps this inability to understand simple grammatical structures is why you feel so many people have problems understanding your posts. Would you like lessons, dear?

drjohncarpenter: Elvis did not take elocution lessons prior to his stage return in the summer of 1969. He never spoke in such fashion on stage. The concert tapes provide ample proof of this. Perhaps you need to devote some time to listening to the man and his music, instead of constantly putting people down on an Elvis forum. That might be a wise move.

poormadpeter2: So your argument for your case of him talking about the song is "I don't believe Elvis could put a sentence together."

---

Juan Luis: That is very clearly heard and understood. Self-deprecating but still about the show not the song. Some have no excuse for misinterpreting plain English.

goldbelt: The comments of course related to the TV Special as a whole, not the song Memories.

Typical of Elvis' self deprecating humour and the tailor made place to reference the Comeback Special

---

Mike From Holland: Agreed. It's possible Elvis thought he nailed it though. Like he said about the '68 TV-show: you can't win them all. :wink:

Davelee: Nope. The 68 TV Show was a huge success (I hope you don't disagree with that) and Elvis knew it. In fact, it was what put him back where he belonged, the top, and it was one of the highest rated TV Shows of the year. :wink:

---

Davelee: Wrong!! Let's look at what Elvis said: "i'd like to do a song I just did from my recent TV Show, which wasn't Very good. How can you interpret this him talking about the TV Show when clearly he's talking about the song

---

poormadpeter2: The only one having interpretation problems is yourself. Quite clearly, Elvis is joking about the show and not the song. The sentence structure also makes this clear. If he was talking about the song not being good, then the comment about show and song would have been juxtaposed:

"I recently did a TV show, and in it was a song which wasn't very good, but you can't win 'em all." There, he would have been talking about the song not being good, but that is not what is implied when he switches the song and TV show around in the sentence, not once, not twice, but three times - he says the same thing is said on the Collector's Gold version: "A song from my recent TV show, which was pretty bad, but you can't win 'em all."

Perhaps this inability to understand simple grammatical structures is why you feel so many people have problems understanding your posts. Would you like lessons, dear?

Davelee: This is the most ridiculous thing i've read - the misinterpretation is puzzling. Why have you switched about a sentence Elvis did not say? :roll: I've already commented on this so I'll do it again, here's what Elvis actually said: "i'd like to do a song I just did from my recent TV show, which wasn't very good". Now, he is clearly talking about the song from his recent TV show and not discrediting his TV show. Anyone can see that.

What is your opinion? Please, share...

::rocks

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Chris Roberts
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Re: POLL: Elvis' remark about the 68 Special or about Memori

Post by Chris Roberts »

I voted for the show in general. He was often self depreciating about his achievements, which many consider was endearing, but I wish he hadn't been his own critic so often - he had enough of them throughout his career without adding his own voice. :roll:

KHoots
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by KHoots »

It's open to interpretation, but I believe he was referring to the show. Ratings, critical reviews, etc. mean nothing to this argument. Elvis cranked out a winner with the '68 Special, and he knew it. His comment was made in jest, not unlike he had done many times before and after.

Davelee
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Post by Davelee »

KHoots wrote:It's open to interpretation, but I believe he was referring to the show. Ratings, critical reviews, etc. mean nothing to this argument. Elvis cranked out a winner with the '68 Special, and he knew it. His comment was made in jest, not unlike he had done many times before and after.
No.

Here's Elvis' quote again: "i'd like to do a song i just did from my recent TV show, which wasn't very good". That is not open for interpretation, he's clearly talking about the song from his recent TV show, not knocking the TV show. Surely anyone can see what his comment is. People are making out something that is not there. :facep:

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by Rob »

There are (many) times when Elvis said something in jest.

There are also (many) times that it is taken way too literally.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

norrie
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by norrie »

About the song only but in complete jest.
Maybe people believe that Hound Dog really was his message song !

norrie

Steve Morse
Registered for: 21 years 3 months

Post by Steve Morse »

Elvis was clearly talking about the show.

I've always heard it this way and it's plain. Why would he sing a song - which he in no way was 'obliged' to sing - if it was 'not very good' ?

"Won't you sing me away to a summer night - let me hold her in my arms again"

Steve Morse

Post by Steve Morse »

Here's Elvis' quote again:

"I'd like to do a song i just did from my recent TV show, which wasn't very good". That is not open for interpretation, he's clearly talking about his recent TV show, not knocking the song. Surely anyone can see what his comment is.

"Won't you sing me away to a summer night - let me hold her in my arms again"

SteamrollerBlues
Registered for: 10 years 2 months

Post by SteamrollerBlues »

...why is this an issue? :roll:

Hobbes
Registered for: 8 years 9 months

Post by Hobbes »

I thought he said, "is there any way for him to get up here?"

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

No it's, "you gotta have it built in the right place" !!!

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

goldbelt
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by goldbelt »

Hobbes wrote:I thought he said, "is there any way for him to get up here?"
Yeah, around the time that he also said, "you've got to have the belt in the right place"

TINML

Post by TINML »

The show but he's screwing around, he knew it was a success and I'm sure he was proud of it. Period the end :)

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

r&b

Post by r&b »

SteamrollerBlues wrote:...why is this an issue? :roll:
Because Elvis has been dead 39 years and its been a slow news day

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

r&b wrote:
Don't feign ignorance boys! Unless you need some gum... :lol:

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

My vote is that I don't even remotely give a rat's a$$ about this meaningless debate, and there's simply too damn much of this kind of stuff taking up bandwidth on this board!

IT DOESN'T FRIGGIN' MATTER ONE IOTA!

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Pete Dube wrote:My vote is that I don't even remotely give a rat's a$$ about this meaningless debate, and there's simply too damn much of this kind of stuff taking up bandwidth on this board!

IT DOESN'T FRIGGIN' MATTER ONE IOTA!
I agree! Some just enjoy creating drama...

r&b

Post by r&b »

A line muttered in a 1969 concert does not deserve its own thread. Sorry. Now I must play the new Jennifer Nettles CD.

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

I have always thought his comments were about the special and not the particular song. Of course it is his style to be self-deprecating. He has always commented about records, shows, movies etc in this way. I have never heard him cut down a SONG, as then he would be cutting down a song writer--not his style. (exception is I Can't Help Believin'. "I don't particularly like it", which it is obvious he did this for comic relief).

OnStage55
Registered for: 9 years 7 months
Mood:

Post by OnStage55 »

I'm Torn....... :wink:

TINML

Post by TINML »

OnStage55 wrote:I'm Torn....... :wink:

Hmmmm Natalie...schwiiiiing!
(and to make this just a tad Elvis related)

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

Domino
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by Domino »

I've always thought he was talking about the show .Never thought he could be talking about the song.I guess it can go either way.
Can I vote for both?
Anyway,any discussion about Elvis that stays friendly is a great discussion.
Thanks for sharing.

8) "Well sir,to be honest with you,we just stumbled upon it." - 1954
ImageImage

Davelee
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Post by Davelee »

r&b wrote:A line muttered in a 1969 concert does not deserve its own thread. Sorry. Now I must play the new Jennifer Nettles CD.
Indeed. It's asking for trouble!?

SteamrollerBlues
Registered for: 10 years 2 months

Post by SteamrollerBlues »

Juan Luis wrote:
r&b wrote:
Don't feign ignorance boys! Unless you need some gum... :lol:
I prefer Big League Chew, so if you want to give me some...