Modern Screen - November 1976 - No Tour Without His Linda.

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Domino
Registered for: 8 years

Modern Screen - November 1976 - No Tour Without His Linda.

Post by Domino »

nov 76.JPG
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
a1.jpg
b1.jpg
c1.jpg
d1.jpg
a2.jpg
b2.jpg
c2.jpg
d2.jpg
e2.jpg
a3.jpg
b3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

8) "Well sir,to be honest with you,we just stumbled upon it." - 1954
ImageImage

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: Modern Screen - November 1976 - No Tour Without His Lind

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Thanks for the share. Whoa, the wheels were starting to come off now.

It appears Modern Screen unleashed a bunch of photos from the summer 1976 tour that ran from June 25 (Buffalo) to July 5 (Memphis). There seem to be a lot more than usual for such an article. The text and images make no bones about what a slog his touring was, from lousy accommodations to forced isolation. Elvis does not look good in a single photo. And what was meant by the questioning of Elvis having a doctor around? Slowly the media was edging towards the truth.

Looking again at the article, we know Elvis was about to have his father lay off friends and bodyguards Bobby West, Delbert West and Dave Hebler. An LP of mostly morose ballads had just been issued by RCA, which would do little at retail. This is what it had come to.

The issue also offers a double irony. By the time it hit the stands, Linda Thompson was gone forever. And who is staring out from the cover? Barbara Streisand, in a photo from the soon-to-be blockbuster remake of "A Star Is Born," for which Elvis could have been the co-star.

This full image from the magazine is among those new to my eyes:

760626_w David Stanley_Providence.jpg
With David Stanley, after matinee gig in Providence - Saturday, June 26, 1976
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
Domino
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Domino »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Thanks for the share. Whoa, the wheels were starting to come off now.

It appears Modern Screen unleashed a bunch of photos from the summer 1976 tour that ran from June 25 (Buffalo) to July 5 (Memphis). There seem to be a lot more than usual for such an article. The text and images make no bones about what a slog his touring was, from lousy accommodations to forced isolation. Elvis does not look good in a single photo. And what was meant by the questioning of Elvis having a doctor around? Slowly the media was edging towards the truth.

Looking again at the article, we know Elvis was about to have his father lay off friends and bodyguards Bobby West, Delbert West and Dave Hebler. An LP of mostly morose ballads had just been issued by RCA, which would do little at retail. This is what it had come to.

The issue also offers a double irony. By the time it hit the stands, Linda Thompson was gone forever. And who is staring out from the cover? Barbara Streisand, in a photo from the soon-to-be blockbuster remake of "A Star Is Born," for which Elvis could have been the co-star.

Lot's of pictures and a small write up but it said a lot .I guess this would be before the "What Happened" book ? I wonder If the press knew how close they were getting to the real story.

8) "Well sir,to be honest with you,we just stumbled upon it." - 1954
ImageImage

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

They were close to the harsh reality because they mentioned the presence of Doctor Nick. I think from 1970 on Nick was present on all the tours Elvis did.

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

jurasic1968 wrote:They were close to the harsh reality because they mentioned the presence of Doctor Nick. I think from 1970 on Nick was present on all the tours Elvis did.
1971 is when Nick started going on the tours regularly, according to the late Lamar Fike. I read that in RFTMM. Look on page 520 (if you have the book).

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by elvisjock »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Thanks for the share. Whoa, the wheels were starting to come off now.

How do we know this is Providence?

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

drjohncarpenter

elvisjock wrote:

How do we know this is Providence?
We? My attribution is based on many factors:

- Elvis' hair and outfit match known Providence (June 26) afternoon show photos
- no Linda Thompson, who limoed to nearby West Warwick to attend Jeanne LeMay's twin sister Jan's wedding reception
- Movie Mirror featured photos primarily from Buffalo (June 25) and Providence (June 26)
- Sheraton Motor Inn was right by the Providence airport, and Elvis used Sheraton quite a bit in 1976 ... only the best accommodations that year

Hopefully, this is enough. You saw Elvis that day, does he look like the man you saw just an hour before?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

I'd be happy to believe it's a Providence shot, but I don't think it is.

There was a Holiday Inn across the street from the Civic Center. My recollection is that he stayed there in '74 and '76. In '77, he stayed at the Cranston Hilton Inn, as Ed Hill announced at the end of the show.

Elvis wore the blue body/white sleeve outfit at both shows in Providence on that Saturday.

drjohncarpenter

elvisjock wrote:I'd be happy to believe it's a Providence shot, but I don't think it is.
Feel free to share your reasoning in detail. I already did the same, at your request.

elvisjock wrote:There was a Holiday Inn across the street from the Civic Center. My recollection is that he stayed there in '74 and '76. In '77, he stayed at the Cranston Hilton Inn, as Ed Hill announced at the end of the show.

Elvis wore the blue body/white sleeve outfit at both shows in Providence on that Saturday.
As noted, Elvis was booked at a lot of Sheratons in 1976. Management knew how to stretch those tour budgets. Just look at the room photos in the magazine, they ooze class.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

None of the photos are captioned. Shots of Nick, Joe, Linda, and Linda with Charlie could come from any number of places. The text makes no mention of particular dates.

The limo shot could be Providence. The outfit matches the date. Dave Hebler is with him, so it can't be any later than July 4th. But, it could come from any number of other dates.

The shot of Elvis and Red has been identified by Paul Sweeney as being from Providence. Paul, how did you come to date the photo as June 26?

The head and shoulders profile shot has been identified as coming from Buffalo. That picture appeared in a late 70s edition of Playboy (I remember it because I came across it while reading the articles).

I don't see anything in the hotel photos that reveal the location. It would be great to be able to see that newspaper, but it's blurred.

drjohncarpenter

elvisjock wrote:None of the photos are captioned. Shots of Nick, Joe, Linda, and Linda with Charlie could come from any number of places. The text makes no mention of particular dates.

The limo shot could be Providence. The outfit matches the date. Dave Hebler is with him, so it can't be any later than July 4th. But, it could come from any number of other dates.
Magazine captions are of no importance, they are more often wrong than right. As for the other candids, I make no comment about them. As for the shot you ask me about, if you take into account his facial appearance, hairstyle, clothing, and the fact that it is clearly in the afternoon, it limits the number of dates quite significantly. Again, the article seems to encompass the tour I cited, and most notably the first two days.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Tony, I read right now what Lamar said in the Revelations book. But I am still in doubt because Jerry Hopkins wrote in his second book about Elvis that Dr. Nick went on tour with Elvis from September 1970 on. So one of them is mistaken.

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Tony, I found this on the other website:
Elvis.jpg

eligain
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

Post by eligain »

I had this magazine at the time and it was the first glimpse at what things were really like for Elvis. I remember being shocked by the sh%tty hotel room and the sight of what looks like an empty bucket of chicken on the coffee table and the horrible looking breakfast food. It looks like bed bug infested 4th rate accommodations! It totally burst my bubble of the glamorous life I thought Elvis lived on the road, staying in 5 star luxury hotels and eating gourmet food.

The irony of the shot of Streisand from "A Star Is Born" on the cover didn't get past my 15 year old self at the time either.

This issue was a real eye opener at the time.