POLL: Elvis' remark about the 68 Special or about Memories?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

I'd like to do a song from my recent TV show, which wasn't very good. What was Elvis talking about?

The whole 68 TV Special.
79%
The song Memories only.
21%

Total votes: 67

Dan_T
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Re: POLL: Elvis' remark about the 68 Special or about Memori

Post by Dan_T »

Clearly it was in jest and about the whole show, not the song.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

The truth of the matter is that, if Elvis was that bothered by Sam Philips supposed comment about Memories, he would have cut the song, not made a joke about how bad it was and then sing it straight. There is, of course, another example of the introduction on the Collector's Gold release:

"A song I did on my recent TV show, which was pretty bad, but you can't win 'em all"

Topic author
MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Post by MikeFromHolland »

At this moment 40 people say Elvis was addressing the TV-Show, 9 people say he addressed the song.

Following the wisdom of the crowds theory for now, we can say he addressed the TV-Show. Thank you all for your constructive input!

::rocks

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Davelee
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Post by Davelee »

MikeFromHolland wrote:.

At this moment 40 people say Elvis was addressing the TV-Show, 9 people say he addressed the song.

Following the wisdom of the crowds theory for now, we can say he addressed the TV-Show. Thank you all for your constructive input!

::rocks

As far as I can see people have difficulty in understanding what Elvis actually said.

Thanks for starting this pointless thread and the disagreements and hassle it's caused.

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

Davelee wrote: As far as I can see people have difficulty in understanding what Elvis actually said.
You're in denial. What do you read with your your goggles on?
The wisdom of the crowd is the collective opinion of a group of individuals rather than that of a single expert.

A large group's aggregated answers to questions involving quantity estimation, general world knowledge, and spatial reasoning has generally been found to be as good as, and often better than, the answer given by any of the individuals within the group. An explanation for this phenomenon is that there is idiosyncratic noise associated with each individual judgment, and taking the average over a large number of responses will go some way toward canceling the effect of this noise. This process, while not new to the Information Age, has been pushed into the mainstream spotlight by social information sites such as Wikipedia, Yahoo! Answers, Quora, and other web resources that rely on human opinion.

Trial by jury can be understood as wisdom of the crowd, especially when compared to the alternative, trial by a judge, the single expert. In politics, sometimes sortition is held as an example of what wisdom of the crowd would look like. Decision-making would happen by a diverse group instead of by a fairly homogenous political group or party.

Research within cognitive science has sought to model the relationship between wisdom of the crowd effects and individual cognition.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisdom_of_the_crowd

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Davelee

Post by Davelee »

MikeFromHolland wrote:
Davelee wrote: As far as I can see people have difficulty in understanding what Elvis actually said.
You're in denial. What do you read with your your goggles on?
The wisdom of the crowd is the collective opinion of a group of individuals rather than that of a single expert.

A large group's aggregated answers to questions involving quantity estimation, general world knowledge, and spatial reasoning has generally been found to be as good as, and often better than, the answer given by any of the individuals within the group. An explanation for this phenomenon is that there is idiosyncratic noise associated with each individual judgment, and taking the average over a large number of responses will go some way toward canceling the effect of this noise. This process, while not new to the Information Age, has been pushed into the mainstream spotlight by social information sites such as Wikipedia, Yahoo! Answers, Quora, and other web resources that rely on human opinion.

Trial by jury can be understood as wisdom of the crowd, especially when compared to the alternative, trial by a judge, the single expert. In politics, sometimes sortition is held as an example of what wisdom of the crowd would look like. Decision-making would happen by a diverse group instead of by a fairly homogenous political group or party.

Research within cognitive science has sought to model the relationship between wisdom of the crowd effects and individual cognition.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisdom_of_the_crowd

Riiightttt.... :roll:

Davelee

Post by Davelee »

Here's Elvis' quote again: "i'd like to do a song I just did from my recent TV show, which wasn't very good". Now, we know that the TV show was a huge success and it put him back on top again, no one can deny that, and Elvis knew it too. But seriously when he said "which wasn't very good" do you really think he aimed that comment at the TV show?

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

Davelee wrote:Here's Elvis' quote again: "i'd like to do a song I just did from my recent TV show, which wasn't very good". Now, we know that the TV show was a huge success and it put him back on top again, no one can deny that, and Elvis knew it too. But seriously when he said "which wasn't very good" do you really think he aimed that comment at the TV show?
As others pointed out in this very thread: One of the three quotes was "I'd like to do a song I just did from my recent TV-show which wasn't very good".

Yes the show was a succes, though critics were mixed, and Elvis knew it brought him back, so he was joking. Something others pointed out as well.

I don't know what he really meant, hence my question to all.

A fact is that 43 people here think he addressed the TV-show with his joke, and only 9 think he addressed Memories and was serious about that. The quoted theory of the crowd learn us that those 43 might be right.

That's all. Nothing more, nothing less.

Can only hope this all is not too traumatic for you.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Davelee

Post by Davelee »

MikeFromHolland wrote:
Davelee wrote:Here's Elvis' quote again: "i'd like to do a song I just did from my recent TV show, which wasn't very good". Now, we know that the TV show was a huge success and it put him back on top again, no one can deny that, and Elvis knew it too. But seriously when he said "which wasn't very good" do you really think he aimed that comment at the TV show?
As others pointed out in this very thread: One of the three quotes was "I'd like to do a song I just did from my recent TV-show which wasn't very good".

Yes the show was a succes, though critics were mixed, and Elvis knew it brought him back, so he was joking. Something others pointed out as well.

A fact is that 43 people here think he addressed the TV-show with his joke, and only 9 think he addressed Memories and was serious about that. The quoted theory of the crowd learn us that those 43 might be right.

Wrong! He's talking about a song from his recent TV show, then, he sings the song to a live audience in Vegas. The fact that he mentions the song first in his sentence before he finishes that rest of the sentence is telling.

The 43 people who think he addressed the TV show are wrong. His is talking about the song from his recent TV show .

Whatever the critics thought of Elvis' TV show has no bearing on the shows success, that attributes to the fans and General public who made the show it's top rated ratings, and of course, the people who produced and directed the special and made it what it was.

Why argue on something you don't understand, as you've just admitted here.

Hope this is not too traumatic for you....

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

Davelee wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:

Wrong! He's talking about a song from his recent TV show, then, he sings the song to a live audience in Vegas. The fact that he mentions the song first in his sentence before he finishes that rest of the sentence is telling.

The 43 people who think he addressed the TV show are wrong.
Mindset.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by rickeap »

In the context of how he makes the comment it is clearly about the show, not the specific song. He was joking, nothing to get worried about.

Davelee

Post by Davelee »

rickeap wrote:In the context of how he makes the comment it is clearly about the show, not the specific song. He was joking, nothing to get worried about.
Actually, he's talking about both but the song more so then the show itself "i'd like to do a song I just did from my recent TV show", and then, he launches into "Memories" for the Las Vegas audience.

Tony Trout
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

Post by Tony Trout »

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that he's referring to the song, "Memories", from the television special.

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by fn2drive »

I'd prefer another thread on another mediocre song that is called under-rated and the near second coming if only the unwashed masses could listen with the royal ears of the truly enlightened. You know like Old Mac Donald perhaps. Pretty please.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

Chad Gates

Post by Chad Gates »

I've never heard anything else in those remarks other than he was talking about the show, if he had been referring to the song he would have said that It didn't do too well or something along those lines not that it wasn't good.

Alan.

TAS
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by TAS »

The whole show.

samses
Registered for: 21 years 4 months

Post by samses »

It´s a (deleted - see guideline #2) song and Elvis knew that. I have always heard that saying as referring to the song.

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

fn2drive wrote:I'd prefer another thread on another mediocre song that is called under-rated and the near second coming if only the unwashed masses could listen with the royal ears of the truly enlightened. You know like Old Mac Donald perhaps. Pretty please.

:D

No one's gonna stop you starting one. It's a relatively free forum :wink:

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

jetblack
Registered for: 20 years

Post by jetblack »

fn2drive wrote:I'd prefer another thread on another mediocre song that is called under-rated and the near second coming if only the unwashed masses could listen with the royal ears of the truly enlightened. You know like Old Mac Donald perhaps. Pretty please.
Again, if you don't like the thread you don't have to post on it.

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

So, in the following sentence, according to DaveLee (who, remember, is an expert on the English language) Elvis is talking about the song and not the film.

"I'd like to sing a song from a film I made called Harem Scarum, which was pretty bad, but you can't win 'em all."

Davelee

Post by Davelee »

poormadpeter2 wrote:So, in the following sentence, according to DaveLee (who, remember, is an expert on the English language) Elvis is talking about the song and not the film.

"I'd like to sing a song from a film I made called Harem Scarum, which was pretty bad, but you can't win 'em all."
:roll:

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Unfortunately this is a question that has no answer... there is a case for both points of view and the only person that could resolve it is dead.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Davelee wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:So, in the following sentence, according to DaveLee (who, remember, is an expert on the English language) Elvis is talking about the song and not the film.

What are you rolling your eyes for? It follows the same construction as the sentence that YOU say is talking about the song, not the show. So in the above sentence, according to you, he has to be talking about the song and not the film. But that clearly isn't correct.

Davelee

Post by Davelee »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
Davelee wrote:

What are you rolling your eyes for? It follows the same construction as the sentence that YOU say is talking about the song, not the show. So in the above sentence, according to you, he has to be talking about the song and not the film. But that clearly isn't correct.
And if you care to read properly I state he is talking about both the song and TV show - more so the song because after his says the sentence he goes into a live rendition of Memories from his TV show for the Las Vegas audience.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Davelee wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
Davelee wrote:

And if you care to read properly I state he is talking about both the song and TV show - more so the song because after his says the sentence he goes into a live rendition of Memories from his TV show for the Las Vegas audience.
More so the song? I don't think so! You categorically state on a number of occasions that he's talking about the song and not the show.
Let's look at what Elvis said: "i'd like to do a song I just did from my recent TV Show, which wasn't Very good. How can you interpret this him talking about the TV Show when clearly he's talking about the song
he is clearly talking about the song from his recent TV show and not discrediting his TV show. Anyone can see that.
That is not open for interpretation, he's clearly talking about the song from his recent TV show, not knocking the TV show. Surely anyone can see what his comment is
seriously when he said "which wasn't very good" do you really think he aimed that comment at the TV show?