Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
charroman
Registered for: 9 years 5 months

Mentions of his movies on stage

Post by charroman »

I recall hearing at least one occasion where Elvis went beyond talking about the first 4 movies during one of his on stage monologues or between songs. I think I recall him mentioning Tickle Me. But there are many audience tapes and soundboards I have not heard and I wonder if he did talk about or name other movies? I'd be interested to know what shows and where

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 2 months

Re: Mentions of his movies on stage

Post by drjohncarpenter »

charroman on Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:23 am wrote:I recall hearing at least one occasion where Elvis went beyond talking about the first 4 movies during one of his on stage monologues or between songs. I think I recall him mentioning Tickle Me. But there are many audience tapes and soundboards I have not heard and I wonder if he did talk about or name other movies? I'd be interested to know what shows and where
It's not a concert tape.

In a remarkable, private interview at MGM Studios in Culver City, "Elvis On Tour" co-director Bob Abel delved deeply into the singer's mediocre 1960s Hollywood career, and how it gave the impression Elvis did not care. Presley refutes this, and plainly details his private physical and emotional pain regarding his situation at that time.

Then Abel relates how his Hollywood impression of the singer completely changed when they met that year, and observing him on the concert stage. Yet, Elvis does stick up for some of his movie work before leaving the subject, and specifically cites "Tickle Me" as being "pure entertainment."

Interview with MGM co-director Bob Abel, Culver City, CA - July 1972
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSD19igmbco&t=35m43s

That's why when you get on stage, I think it's ...

It comes out.

It's honesty, it's real, it's, uh, it's you. I had, like I told you before, I had a completely different, different image of you until I met you, until I saw you in a live performance. And I think, uh, a lot of people do, they have an image like that.

Well, not, you know, not all the movies were, were that bad. I, I, uh, in-between I'd do something that, uh, was entertaining to people, it's just a pure entertainment nature, so, like "Tickle Me" or something like that, you know. They worked well on television.

A lot of people still watch them.

Yeah.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Sugarfoot
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Sugarfoot »

charroman on Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:23 am wrote:I recall hearing at least one occasion where Elvis went beyond talking about the first 4 movies during one of his on stage monologues or between songs. I think I recall him mentioning Tickle Me. But there are many audience tapes and soundboards I have not heard and I wonder if he did talk about or name other movies? I'd be interested to know what shows and where
At least in College Park on Sept 27, 1974, he mentions several of his movies:
Elvis goes to introduce Love Me Tender as his first movie. A fan shouts out Blue Hawaii, mistakenly believing this to have been his first film, to which Elvis responds good-naturedly, “Honey you are behind the times…Blue Hawaii came ten years later.” He then goes on to hesitantly list the titles of a selection of his films, which according to his recollection include Return To Sender and Wild Wild Country.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

Return to Sender? Girls! Girls! Girls! was the title of his 1962 Hawaiian movie. Elvis forgot that, but he liked Return to Sender, I am sure.

Topic author
charroman
Registered for: 9 years 5 months

Post by charroman »

Thanks Doc I knew I had heard it somewhere but I did'nt recall where exactly. Must be on CD somewhere and yes a remarkable dialogue that deserves to be better known and the comments are very telling and probably mirror what many on here have discussed over the years. Interesting to see Bob Abel felt comfortable and confident enough to question him on that aspect of his career and to hear Elvis' response (and defense). In fairness to his comment "Tickle Me" has remained a fan favourite and its one that I can watch like Elvis said as "pure entertainment".

He was obviously proud and could hear the audience reaction to the early movies being mentioned on stage but beyond the mention of Blue Hawaii prior to singing "Cant Help Falling in Love" or "Hawaiian Wedding Song" I was struggling to recall any occasion when he mentioned other films even ones like "Viva Las Vegas" etc

drjohncarpenter on Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:58 am wrote:
charroman on Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:23 am wrote:I recall hearing at least one occasion where Elvis went beyond talking about the first 4 movies during one of his on stage monologues or between songs. I think I recall him mentioning Tickle Me. But there are many audience tapes and soundboards I have not heard and I wonder if he did talk about or name other movies? I'd be interested to know what shows and where
It's not a concert tape.

In a remarkable, private interview at MGM Studios in Culver City, "Elvis On Tour" co-director Bob Abel delved deeply into the singer's mediocre 1960s Hollywood career, and how it gave the impression Elvis did not care. Presley refutes this, and plainly details his private physical and emotional pain regarding his situation at that time.

Then Abel relates how his Hollywood impression of the singer completely changed when they met that year, and observing him on the concert stage. Yet, Elvis does stick up for some of his movie work before leaving the subject, and specifically cites "Tickle Me" as being "pure entertainment."

Interview with MGM co-director Bob Abel, Culver City, CA - July 1972
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSD19igmbco&t=35m43s

That's why when you get on stage, I think it's ...

It comes out.

It's honesty, it's real, it's, uh, it's you. I had, like I told you before, I had a completely different, different image of you until I met you, until I saw you in a live performance. And I think, uh, a lot of people do, they have an image like that.

Well, not, you know, not all the movies were, were that bad. I, I, uh, in-between I'd do something that, uh, was entertaining to people, it's just a pure entertainment nature, so, like "Tickle Me" or something like that, you know. They worked well on television.

A lot of people still watch them.

Yeah.

jetblack
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by jetblack »

Elvis introduced Telly Savalas (Kojak) on August 19, 1974 and recalls meeting him:-

"he came on the movie set when I was doing a movie called 'Kid Galahad' and that's the first time I met him"

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

colonel snow
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by colonel snow »

The closing song "Can't help fallin' in love" was often announced: : FROM "BLUE HAWAII".

colonel snow