Trouble Selecting Anything (Unless Opening in a New Tab)

This section is to discuss forum related matters. Per guidelines, disciplinary actions taken against member(s) past and present will not be discussed.
We understand some discussion may become heated, but all we ask is that you remain civil at all times. This forum is meant to give you, the member, an outlet to discuss how we can improve the forum in many different ways. Therefore, it is to be used to come up with solutions - not cause more problems!

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
TCB Band
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by TCB Band »

Hello everyone,

I’ve been using Safari on my iPad as I usually do when accessing the forum. However, I am rarely able to open threads or “like” posts without opening in a new tab. Now I am unable to “like” posts. I am typing this using the Tapatalk app which I downloaded as a (hopefully) temporary fix. I am still unable to “like,” even though I can reply (and I think PM). Do any IT experts, or perhaps the mods or mechanic, think they have a solution for this issue?

Thanks,
TCB Band

fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Registered for: 20 years 11 months
Mood:

Re: Trouble Selecting Anything (Unless Opening in a New Tab)

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Interesting!
Can you see if this error happens in more than one style??? (if the system allows you to select it). The "style changer" drop-down in located at the top right of the forum ------ directly below your notifications, private messages, and UCP. Give it a shot with "FECC-Vision".

All the best from Mempihs
Jordan

ImageImage

fa-boltfa-boltPlease send all tech support requests to: tech@elvicities.comfa-boltfa-bolt

Make sure to visit my friends at the EAP society! It's a movement! For all generations of fans! And it's worth supporting!!!

Topic author
TCB Band

Post by TCB Band »

Hi fecc-mechanic,

Thanks for responding so quickly. I tried multiple times but it won’t let me select FECC vision.

One correction that I thought I typed before but maybe I didn’t: this problem only started very recently — maybe a couple of weeks ago?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic author
TCB Band

Post by TCB Band »

fecc-mechanic wrote:Interesting!
Can you see if this error happens in more than one style??? (if the system allows you to select it). The "style changer" drop-down in located at the top right of the forum ------ directly below your notifications, private messages, and UCP. Give it a shot with "FECC-Vision".
Hi fecc-mechanic,

I was able to get it over to Vision, but still can’t open without opening a new tab. I’ve gotten used to that, but it’s still a pain not to post without using the Tapatalk app. Do you know how to prevent the app from signing me up for notifications every time I post/reply/comment?

Thanks!,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Hi @TCB Band . I apologize for the troubles you are having. Sadly I have not been able to reproduce them. To change your notifications, go to you user control panel (UCP) and go to the "Notifications" settings area.

Jordan

ImageImage

fa-boltfa-boltPlease send all tech support requests to: tech@elvicities.comfa-boltfa-bolt

Make sure to visit my friends at the EAP society! It's a movement! For all generations of fans! And it's worth supporting!!!

fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

There are also notification settings in the app.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Jordan

ImageImage

TcbCpl
BANNED - FREQUENT RETURNING MEMBER
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by TcbCpl »

I’ve been having the same issue when using Safari on my ipad. I’ve had to use Tapatalk to post anything.

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

@TcbCpl ,
Thank you for the report. It appears there is a generalized error when it comes to large display IOS devices and a small selection of Android devices. @TcbCpl - Can you describe exactly what happens when you try to interact with the site within Safari?

Jordan

ImageImage

TcbCpl
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by TcbCpl »

Sorry for the late reply. If I click on any link on the fecc site through Safari it won’t open the link. I have to to hold down the link to get the drop down options then select “open with new tab” or something like that. I can’t reply to any topic as it won’t place the cursor in the box. That’s why I’m using Tapatalk now

Hidden Content

fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Thank you @TcbCpl

And no need to apologize, we all have lives outside the forum :).

Oddly this is isolated to the Safari browser, as stated before.

It appears that the standard CSS code that exists on all forums that run this forum software refuses to let one select text boxes, or properly click links if they also have the plugin "Adblock Plus for Safari ABP" installed on their browser. It is possible that any other ad blocking plugins may also have this effect. Which is also odd because FECC does not run ads.

So far I've only been able to isolate the above to explain the behavior. It is possible there may be further factors that I have yet to discover which may also be contributing to the bugs described above.

Any further reports, with details about such behavior would greatly be appreciated from members who also use, or try to use their iPad to access the forum.

Jordan

ImageImage

fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Resolved Re: Trouble Selecting Anything (Unless Opening in a New Tab)

Post by fecc-mechanic »

I have received reports that this issue is now resolved.
If you continue to experience this error, please provide:

1.) The time the error occurred.
2.) The browser and device used.

I've also requested this topic be moved to the "shout it out" section as it is more appropriate there.

Jordan

ImageImage

Topic author
TCB Band

Post by TCB Band »

Hi FECC-Mechanic, I am still having this issue but have mostly learned to live with it. My new problem is that a semi-"paywall"-style wall, which asks me whether or not to continue in Safari on my iPad mini, or to use the Tapatalk app, arrives on the screen when I open threads. Tapatalk was the only way I could comment/post from a mobile device, but I thought deleting it might end these redirects. It didn't, sadly, and neither does altering the phrases that I will mention next. Most can be removed by refreshing the page; ("viewtopic.php?p=") appears in the address bar. Some cannot be, with the following phrase appearing in the address bar ("viewtopic.php?1&t=") When on my computer as I am now, the address bar includes the phrase "viewtopic.php?f=". Again, this is while using Safari, and I have downloaded Firefox (but can't remember if I have tested this yet) as a possible workaround. I hope this all makes sense and can be fixed. Sorry to trouble you again, and Happy Holidays!!

fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Thank you for the report @TCB Band, with the additional details.
Hidden Content
With that being said. @TCB Band, please empty your cookies/cache - and you should (hopefully!) not see that nag screen anymore.

The other issues do seem to be confined to Safari. Unless it has changed, IOS forces other browsers to use the Safari back-end on its devices. So it is questionable if that would change things, sadly.

Jordan

ImageImage