Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Spellbinder wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:03 pm
jetblack wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:49 pm
Without any solid evidence everything to do with 'Tiger Man' being tried or recorded at Sun is indeed pure conjecture.

Andy

I'm not sure what you mean by "solid" evidence. There is evidence that he recorded it at Sun - he told us he did.

Thank you.

Of course, had "jetblack" actually invested in this topic, he would have seen this evidence cited several times during the discussion.

It's not conjecture, it's Elvis' own words, captured on tape, said with tongue firmly not in cheek. And he said it at multiple shows in 1970, right before doing the song.

As I said, there are some very petty and jealous forum members out there. They've been a part of this topic almost from day one.

Bummer.

:D

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

DEH
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by DEH »

I guess Elvis was the only person who remembered it happening. :)

Domino
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Domino »

DEH wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:12 am
I'd say there's been a lot of lost recordings,photos and film that's surfaced over the last few years and it stayed lost until someone found it not because someone remembered it and yet it did happen.An example is that piece of film of Elvis with Johnny Cash.Has there been anyone come forward and say they remember that day and yet there is film of it.If we had a recording of Elvis saying he met up with Johnny Cash and he showed him some dance moves that he was going to use in Jailhouse Rock ,everyone would think he's full of it.
So it's very possible that something could happen in Elvis's life and not be remembered.
Elvis is talking about something happening 16 years ago.How many years had past by before anyone asked Scotty ?

8) "Well sir,to be honest with you,we just stumbled upon it." - 1954
ImageImage

jetblack
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by jetblack »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:04 am

Of course, had "jetblack" actually invested in this topic, he would have seen this evidence cited several times during the discussion.

It's not conjecture, it's Elvis' own words, captured on tape, said with tongue firmly not in cheek. And he said it at multiple shows in 1970, right before doing the song.

As I said, there are some very petty and jealous forum members out there. They've been a part of this topic almost from day one.

Bummer.

We all know Elvis said MANY things during the years that are simply not true or misremembered.

If one wants to believe the 'Tiger Man' myth so be it. I don't. The reason, there is not one iota of documented evidence or discussion by anyone there at the time. Just a 'forum member' that states in a topic 'mystery solved' when it is anything but.

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

Spellbinder
On Suspension Until Further Notice...

Post by Spellbinder »

jetblack wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:00 pm
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Bummer.

We all know Elvis said MANY things during the years that are simply not true or misremembered.

If one wants to believe the 'Tiger Man' myth so be it. I don't. The reason, there is not one iota of documented evidence or discussion by anyone there at the time. Just a 'forum member' that states in a topic 'mystery solved' when it is anything but.

Andy
Not true - Elvis was there at the time and he said he recorded it.

Ray

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

Spellbinder wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:50 pm
Not true - Elvis was there at the time and he said he recorded it.
He also stated that he recorded 'Are You Lonesome Tonight' in 1927 and that 'Stranger In The Crowd' would be out in 1982.

Andy

Steve Morse
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by Steve Morse »

"Good Evening. My name is Wayne Newton."

"Won't you sing me away to a summer night - let me hold her in my arms again"

DEH

Post by DEH »

In 1975 introducing The Wonder Of You multiple times.. "A song I recorded about 2 years ago." Is there a unknown version from 1973 we have not heard? :roll: :roll:
Last edited by DEH on Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob

Post by Rob »

"This is a song I did on the Ed Sullivan show in 1912."

In the case of "Tiger Man," Elvis wasn't joking. He said it too many times in a serious tone to make me believe otherwise. However, we wont hear it because he either misremembered or there is no tape of it being recorded. When Elvis made this statement on stage in Las Vegas, I truly believe that he thought he recorded it, and this fan would love to hear it.

If a Sun version is ever released, I'm smooching somebody's ass.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

Steve Morse wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:37 pm
"Good Evening. My name is Wayne Newton."
:)

He also introduced himself as Johnny Cash, Tom Jones, Glen Campbell and others.

Andy

DEH

Post by DEH »

Domino wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:59 am
DEH wrote:
I'd say there's been a lot of lost recordings,photos and film that's surfaced over the last few years and it stayed lost until someone found it not because someone remembered it and yet it did happen.An example is that piece of film of Elvis with Johnny Cash.Has there been anyone come forward and say they remember that day and yet there is film of it.If we had a recording of Elvis saying he met up with Johnny Cash and he showed him some dance moves that he was going to use in Jailhouse Rock ,everyone would think he's full of it.
So it's very possible that something could happen in Elvis's life and not be remembered.
Elvis is talking about something happening 16 years ago.How many years had past by before anyone asked Scotty ?
Well Scotty remembered a lot of other things but he did not remember that.

Domino

Post by Domino »

Rob wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:57 pm

In the case of "Tiger Man," Elvis wasn't joking. He said it too many times in a serious tone to make me believe otherwise. However, we wont hear it because he either misremembered or there is no tape of it being recorded. When Elvis made this statement on stage in Las Vegas, I truly believe that he thought he recorded it, and this fan would love to hear it.
Right,very possible.After recording hundreds of songs and trying songs in rehearsal he could really believe he recorded it.
It can happen the other way too.I would bet there are many artists who if you told them you liked a particular song,maybe a B side or album cut and they would say "I recorded that ?"

But like you say he isn't joking when he says it.He remembers that song in the studio at Sun Records at the start of his career.

ImageImage

Domino

Post by Domino »

DEH wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:03 pm
Domino wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:59 am
DEH wrote:
Well Scotty remembered a lot of other things but he did not remember that.
This was posted earlier.
He says it was his second record in each show .At 55:06 and 1:54:56.Not said as a joke at all.

ImageImage

BobDylan
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by BobDylan »

jetblack wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:00 pm
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Bummer.

Andy
The sad thing is, I don't think anyone here flatly discounts the possibility that Elvis tried Tiger Man out at Sun, and may have had it put to tape. There may well have been other songs that they ran through and put to tape but were later erased, recorded over, or got lost.

The problem the OP runs into is the assumption that acetates must have been pressed and then distributed to DJ's for their review. In all the years since the Sun sessions there is absolutely no shred of evidence that this happened. No recording logs, no receipts, no correspondence, no paperwork, no tapes, and no acetates. If we are to truly believe the acetate story then you have to believe that multiple acetates were pressed and sent out yet not even one has survived. In all the years since and the massive research that has been done, miles traveled, ads placed, inquires made, libraries gone through... nothing. No set lists from the surviving newspaper reviews mention the song being song then (even allusions to the lyrics), no fan diaries or remembrances mention it, and Scotty Moore himself said it never happened. Certainly if Sam had taken the time to cut acetates (and that would mean that even a somewhat acceptable take was recorded, surely Scotty would have remembered THAT) and sent them out, then you would think that Elvis would have sung the song in concert. After all, he was known to sing songs, even back then, that he apparently never recorded so if an acceptable take was made and acetates pressed, wouldn't he have wanted to promote it? Otherwise wasn't he wasting his time?

I'm sorry but a somewhat off the cuff reference to something that may or may not have happened 15 or 16 years before is a long from way from proof. People who want to believe the story take it at face value yet insist that Scotty Moore forgot, misremembered, or was flat out wrong. You can't have it both ways. Either a take was deemed acceptable for release and acetates pressed or they weren't. And there is zero credible evidence to support the assertion that this is what happened.

If Tiger Man was a failure and not too many people heard it, then why not repeat the process with Good Rockin' Tonight just in case the response was lukewarm as the OP would have you believe was true of Tiger Man. Which is odd because everyone generally agrees that even later in Elvis' career Tiger Man was a show stopper. Why not rush release it back in 1954 or 1955? Certainly back then it would have been even more raw and more in the vein of That's All Right Mama.

I'm sorry but the "must have pressed acetates" story falls flat. Tiger Man very well may have been run through and put on tape but that is a long way from proving the rest of the story. Despite Elvis' comments to the contrary.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Domino wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:12 pm
Right,very possible.After recording hundreds of songs and trying songs in rehearsal he could really believe he recorded it.
It can happen the other way too.I would bet there are many artists who if you told them you liked a particular song,maybe a B side or album cut and they would say "I recorded that ?"

But like you say he isn't joking when he says it.He remembers that song in the studio at Sun Records at the start of his career.

And Elvis makes the statement again, and again, and again, in a series of live performances of "Tiger Man" ALL BY ITSELF.

Yet, at the beginning of this same summer 1970 engagement, not to mention the summer 1969 shows, Elvis used "Tiger Man" in a medley with "Mystery Train," another Sun number.

These facts are not mere coincidences. They are pertinent to the discussion.

We are very lucky a couple of super-fans taped these August 1970 shows or we would not have the evidence of the MAN himself doing this. It was not a single, "off the cuff" comment.

But, of course, the naysayers have not devoted any time to the discussion which I began here on August 24, 2010.

Every critique you see on this page alone has already been made several times, and credibly and completely refuted. Pages 1-87 are there for anyone to read, anytime they wish.

But these one-sentence complainers aren't about the debate. Or the fact that Elvis was serious in this example.

They're mad that they didn't find this first. They're jealous that a crucial part of Elvis' Sun history was given a very bright light by another forum member.

Too bad.

:smt006

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Speaking of facts, below is a summary of them on this topic, which I first posted on page 86:

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:57 am
"Much of this topic is just fantasy without any background knowledge."

I have no idea what this comment means, as these facts have been made plain in the course of the discussion:

- Elvis adored the song "Tiger Man" from the moment it was released on Sun Records
- Elvis listened to WDIA Radio in Memphis, knew the disc jockeys and the music
- Elvis attended the WDIA Benefit shows in December 1956 and December 1957
- Sam Phillips made acetates of unreleased songs cut by Elvis for disc jockeys to preview on-air
- The majority of the small combo songs rehearsed or done live in June 1968 were from 1954-1957
- Elvis rehearsed "When It Rains It Pours" with the small combo in June 1968, and in 1983 a Sun recording of it was released
- Elvis rehearsed and performed "Tiger Man" live in June 1968
- The 1968 performance of "Tiger Man" was issued on LP in November 1968
- The 1968 performance of "Tiger Man" was seen by millions on national TV in August 1969
- Elvis performed, at minimum, EIGHT stand-alone live versions of "Tiger Man" in August 1970
- Each of these stand-alone live versions had pointed, serious introductions where he called it his "second record"
- More "second record" introductions where he sings "Tiger Man" are found on sporadic live recordings in 1971 and 1972
- There are no known, stand-alone live versions of "Mystery Train" from July 1969 to June 1977
- No other introductions are known of Elvis calling something a "second record" without a performance of "Tiger Man" involved

All of these things deserve serious consideration, but if you believe this is "just fantasy" I cannot agree.

Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

DEH

Post by DEH »

This coming from someone who has dismissed things he didn't discover numerous times. :)

DEH

Post by DEH »

It's too bad shows from the 15th to the 18th of August 18 1970 are not available to us. Maybe he said something more. We will probably never know. Scotty did not remember it.

pmp
Registered for: 4 years 10 months

Post by pmp »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:48 am
Speaking of facts, here's a summary of them regarding this topic, which was posted on page 86:

drjohncarpenter wrote:

I have no idea what this comment means, as these facts have been made plain in the course of the discussion:

- Elvis adored the song "Tiger Man"
- Elvis listened to KDIA Radio, knew the disc jockeys and the music
- Elvis attended the KDIA Benefit shows in 1956 and 1957
- Sam Phillips made acetates of unreleased songs cut by Elvis for disc jockeys to preview on-air
- The majority of the small combo songs rehearsed or done live in June 1968 are from 1954-1957
- Elvis rehearsed "When It Rains It Pours" with the small combo in June 1968, in 1983 a Sun recording of it was released

- The 1968 performance was issued on LP in November 1968
- The 1968 performance was seen on national TV in August 1969
- Elvis performed, at minimum, EIGHT stand-alone live versions of "Tiger Man" in August 1970

- Each of these had pointed, serious introductions of it as his "second record"
- More "second record" introductions where he sings "Tiger Man" are found on sporadic live recordings in 1971-1972
- There are no known, stand-alone live versions of "Mystery Train" from July 1969 to June 1977
- No other introductions are known of Elvis calling something a "second record" that exclude a performance of "Tiger Man"

All of these things deserve serious consideration, but if you believe this is "just fantasy" I cannot agree.

And all of those highlighted in yellow are are not any indication that he recorded the song at Sun, and had test pressings made etc, as you claim in your opening post.

The fact he rehearsed the song in 1968 means absolutely nothing. He also played Young Love, Oh Happy Day, That's My Desire, the Peter Gunn Theme, Danny Boy, and Baby What You Want Me to Do at those rehearsals, and yet they weren't recorded at Sun either.

What's more, Baby What You Want Me To Do was performed no less than six times during the live performances in 1968, and during the 1969 Vegas shows - and yet you're not arguing there was a studio recording of that, are you?

The second record introductions also mean nothing - unless you're going to believe everything Elvis said on stage. And you're not doing that either. And to say they were serious is only your interpretation. Most people realise that they most likely were Elvis spinning a tale, just as he did in many of his on stage introduction, and in the life story monologue of 1969.

Your evidence is either entirely irrelevant, or spurious at best. And to say his story is given credence by the fact he didn't introduce any other song as his second record is simply laughable, not least because he's known to have done the second record introduction before singing the medley of Mystery Train and Tiger Man, with Mystery Train coming first, and therefore directly after the second record comment. Therefore your comment about "no other introductions" is completely false.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

pmp wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:40 am
And all of those highlighted in yellow are are not any indication that he recorded the song at Sun, and had test pressings made etc, as you claim in your opening post.

The fact he rehearsed the song in 1968 means absolutely nothing. He also played Young Love, Oh Happy Day, That's My Desire, the Peter Gunn Theme, Danny Boy, and Baby What You Want Me to Do at those rehearsals, and yet they weren't recorded at Sun either.

What's more, Baby What You Want Me To Do was performed no less than six times during the live performances in 1968, and during the 1969 Vegas shows - and yet you're not arguing there was a studio recording of that, are you?

The second record introductions also mean nothing - unless you're going to believe everything Elvis said on stage. And you're not doing that either. And to say they were serious is only your interpretation. Most people realise that they most likely were Elvis spinning a tale, just as he did in many of his on stage introduction, and in the life story monologue of 1969.

Your evidence is either entirely irrelevant, or spurious at best. And to say his story is given credence by the fact he didn't introduce any other song as his second record is simply laughable, not least because he's known to have done the second record introduction before singing the medley of Mystery Train and Tiger Man, with Mystery Train coming first, and therefore directly after the second record comment. Therefore your comment about "no other introductions" is completely false.

Didn't you self-publish a book on Elvis' music? If so, you better delete that post quick.

I won't bother with most of your comments, as they are your usual mix of error and speciousness. Most of your attacks have already been made in the previous pages here already, and each has been thoroughly and completely dismissed.

So, what shall I address here? Let's see.

It has nothing to do with this topic, but Elvis planned a studio recording of "Baby What You Want Me To Do" at RCA Hollywood in late August 1967 -- just eight months before the live work at NBC Burbank -- with Billy Strange behind the board. But the date was cancelled for reasons unclear to this very day.

Here, give this a read and learn something new about the man and his music:

A Strange Session --> August 22, 1967
https://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50204

:smt006

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

pmp
Registered for: 4 years 10 months

Post by pmp »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:00 am

Didn't you self-publish a book on Elvis' music?
Yes. And it's well-researched and doesn't resort to wild conjecture. When is yours being published?
So, what shall I address here? Let's see.

It has nothing to do with this topic, but Elvis planned a studio recording of "Baby What You Want Me To Do" at RCA Hollywood in late August 1967 -- just eight months before the live work at NBC Burbank -- with Billy Strange behind the board. But the date was cancelled for reasons unclear to this very day.

Here, give this a read and learn something new about the man and his music:

A Strange Session --> August 22, 1967
https://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50204

Your example is for a session that didn't happen. That's not really helping your case, is it?

Really, Doc, you disappoint me. You're not as good at this as you used to be.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

Spellbinder

Post by Spellbinder »

pmp wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:40 am
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Speaking of facts, here's a summary of them regarding this topic, which was posted on page 86:

drjohncarpenter wrote:

- The majority of the small combo songs rehearsed or done live in June 1968 are from 1954-1957
- Elvis rehearsed "When It Rains It Pours" with the small combo in June 1968, in 1983 a Sun recording of it was released

- More "second record" introductions where he sings "Tiger Man" are found on sporadic live recordings in 1971-1972
- No other introductions are known of Elvis calling something a "second record" that exclude a performance of "Tiger Man"

non sequitur

Ray

chop983
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Post by chop983 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Do we have a list of these songs?

PiersEIN

Post by PiersEIN »

chop983 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:45 am
drjohncarpenter wrote:

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Do we have a list of these songs?
Are we still banging on about this ridiculous fairytale!

The thing that now bothers me is that as far as I was aware between 1956 and 1958 Elvis attended the Memphis WDIA Benefit shows / Goodwill reviews.
Not station KDIA that the "fact man" is stating above.
If it was station KDIA then someone better tell Peter Guralnick and Ernst Jorgensen as their books are factually incorrect.

As far as I am aware KDIA is a Californian based radio station that was bought in the late 50s by Memphis' WDIA.

With this on-going discussion we need FACTS.
and as people say the FACTS are all there in the EIN Spotlight.

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/Did-Elvis-record-Tiger-Man-At-Sun.html

Cheers
Piers

jeanno
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by jeanno »

Elvis mentioned it too many times to be just a joke: that 1954 recording (demo, rehearsal, outtake, whatever) plus the 1955 pied pipper film and the 1969 rehearsal are probably the holy grails of Elvis Presley's music.