emjel
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Re: Young Ernst talks about "On Tour" tapes in EMM

Post by emjel »

Rockin_John wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:38 pm
emjel wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:14 am
It is my understanding that FTD are doing a book from David English with some CDs like last years TTWII whilst Sony will be doing a CD Release for mainstream of either one or two shows and a vinyl of one show.
Source? :)
Someone close to FTD

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

emjel

Post by emjel »

elvis-fan wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:36 am
I really want the Greensboro show as an official release... can't wait to hear that version of Bridge Over Troubled Water in great sound!!!

Must have missed this release when it came out. So what makes the show "famous", ‘cos I must have missed that too.

~

elvis-fan
Registered for: 21 years

Post by elvis-fan »

emjel wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:42 am
elvis-fan wrote:
I really want the Greensboro show as an official release... can't wait to hear that version of Bridge Over Troubled Water in great sound!!!

Must have missed this release when it came out. So what makes the show "famous", ‘cos I must have missed that too.
No idea... I don't have this release either... just googled the show and this came up...

OnTourCam

Post by OnTourCam »

I was very upset when i first heard Close up disc 4 San Antonio show i was shocked how the sound sounded.
I would go as far as saying the mix in the original movie sounded better

to my ears it sounded plastic very thin absolutely no bass or balls to the mix what so ever

Rich_TCB

Post by Rich_TCB »

The BIG question is WHO will be handling the mixing & mastering of the EOT live recordings?

The best person (IMO) would be Vic Anesini, but unfortunately it seems he's not working on Elvis recordings any longer.

Matt Ross-Spang really impressed me with his work on the 1970 Nashville box set. I wasn't as happy with his previous work, so if he's tasked with the EOT recordings, I hope he's able to come through and do a good job.

However, if FTD releases any of the 4 concerts, then I don't expect them to use Matt on an FTD release. So then who knows who would it be.

ImageImageImage

Mister Mike
Registered for: 17 years

Post by Mister Mike »

elvis-fan wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:05 am
emjel wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:42 am
elvis-fan wrote:

No idea... I don't have this release either... just googled the show and this came up...
According to the Elvis In Concert site, this was released in 2018.

Elvis fan. From Sun to Sundial.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

OnTourCam wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:19 am
I was very upset when i first heard Close up disc 4 San Antonio show i was shocked how the sound sounded.
I would go as far as saying the mix in the original movie sounded better

to my ears it sounded plastic very thin absolutely no bass or balls to the mix what so ever
OK you're cutoff from using "sound" or any variation of the word for the rest of the day...

Gamma Master
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by Gamma Master »

I really hope that the shows have a nice bass, maybe somewhat like the Hampton Roads bonus tracks on that Greensboro CD

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/cds/april141972.htm
^the 'I Can't Stop Loving You' Sample

Okay maybe that's a little excessive but hell, just so long as it doesn't sound thin I won't complain

I guess we'll just have to wait and see :)

Every opinion is my own, unless stated otherwise.

I overuse brackets as well

FrankieRider2
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by FrankieRider2 »

I would be the most excited if they release the Richmond show; that one is my favorite of the 4 shows recorded.

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA

Rockin_John
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by Rockin_John »

Hampton Roads in glorious blu ray sound and picture and I'm good.

Keep on Rockin'

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

Rockin_John wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:22 pm
Maaan, that would be a dream come true!

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Rockin_John wrote:

I'm thinking of a very famous Aerosmith song right now.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Mister Mike
Registered for: 17 years

Post by Mister Mike »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:55 am
Rockin_John wrote:

I'm thinking of a very famous Aerosmith song right now.
I'm thinking of the song that closed the '68 TV special.

Elvis fan. From Sun to Sundial.

joekro1977
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

Post by joekro1977 »

If an EOT box is released next year - it will very likely be the last Elvis item I drop serious coin on.

I've got enough of everything else to last me a lifetime - but damn it all I want that EOT content...

It's 800 miles from my house to Graceland, but I'm always up for making the trip!

Rockin_John

Post by Rockin_John »

My guess is 2 releases. A box with the rehearsals/fake sessions coupled with a book. 400 Euro.

Another set with the recorded shows, 200 Euro.

And I'm in. I couldn't afford the TTWII rehearsal box, but I'd take out a another loan on my house for On Tour material!

Keep on Rockin'

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

joekro1977 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:43 pm
If an EOT box is released next year - it will very likely be the last Elvis item I drop serious coin on.

I've got enough of everything else to last me a lifetime - but damn it all I want that EOT content...
I agree but always wondered if any other shows from that tour were recorded other than the 4 we all know about and would make the icing on the cake as an unreleased april 72' tour soundboard. Still i did appreciate the AMIGA set and the Hampton Roads afternoon show in 'listenable sound' that was good! :D

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

emjel

Post by emjel »

Rockin_John wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:42 pm
My guess is 2 releases. A box with the rehearsals/fake sessions coupled with a book. 400 Euro.

Another set with the recorded shows, 200 Euro.

And I'm in. I couldn't afford the TTWII rehearsal box, but I'd take out a another loan on my house for On Tour material!
There is no way they will expect fans to cough up €600 plus for two releases. How can you or they justify a release with one book with some rehearsals and give it a price tag of €400. That’s double the price of last years TTWII set with 2 books and 8 CDs. And then a set with 4 shows on 4 CDs for €200.

~

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

pmp wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:07 pm
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:47 pm
Today I was reading an EMM magazine from, uh... 1993 and came across an interesting comment from Ernst. In this particular issue, he writes about live shows recorded by RCA. He says they recorded four show in April 1972 and then goes on to say that the tapes are "not all in RCA's possession".

I know this information is almost 30 years old but there MUST be something off about the live tapes from "On Tour", because only one of them has been released officially, and Ernst has made some strange comments about them pretty recently too - my take is that they still don't own them all, and that whoever owns them asks too much money. But it's only a guess as the information from Ernst is foggy.

Friends, what do you think - will we get the complete "On Tour" boxset in 2022 or will these tapes be mysteriously held back for another 50 years?

I know Rob is happy with the Amiga boxset from a couple of years ago but the rest of us surely would appreciate an official release! :D
Not having the tapes in their position isnt the same as not owning the rights to them. The bootleggers get these things from somewhere. We just try to forget that to sleep better at night.
None of the RCA multi track concert recordings have been bootlegged. All the boot CD's have used the same sources, despite claims to the contrary.

pmp
Registered for: 5 years

Post by pmp »

rockinrebel wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:36 pm
pmp wrote:
Today I was reading an EMM magazine from, uh... 1993 and came across an interesting comment from Ernst. In this particular issue, he writes about live shows recorded by RCA. He says they recorded four show in April 1972 and then goes on to say that the tapes are "not all in RCA's possession".

I know this information is almost 30 years old but there MUST be something off about the live tapes from "On Tour", because only one of them has been released officially, and Ernst has made some strange comments about them pretty recently too - my take is that they still don't own them all, and that whoever owns them asks too much money. But it's only a guess as the information from Ernst is foggy.

Friends, what do you think - will we get the complete "On Tour" boxset in 2022 or will these tapes be mysteriously held back for another 50 years?

I know Rob is happy with the Amiga boxset from a couple of years ago but the rest of us surely would appreciate an official release! :D
Not having the tapes in their position isnt the same as not owning the rights to them. The bootleggers get these things from somewhere. We just try to forget that to sleep better at night.
None of the RCA multi track concert recordings have been bootlegged. All the boot CD's have used the same sources, despite claims to the contrary.
There is no excuse for any bootlegging of Elvis material in the 21st century. FTD was created to take on the bootleggers, but that wasnt enough for many fans, who wanted both. I have no time for anyone who has praised or worked with bootleggers over the last ten or fifteen years. Every soundboard or alternate take (of copyrighted material) released on bootleg before Sony is theoretically taking sales away from FTD.

I am the first to state that FTD is often sloppy, lazy, and even slapping the face of those who have supported it, but supporting those who have got hold of copyrighted tapes illegally is also a slap in the face for FTD. It is perfectly clear that the bootlegs of EOT material are going to affect subsequent sales of legal releases of the same material.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

pmp wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:17 pm
rockinrebel wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:36 pm
pmp wrote:

There is no excuse for any bootlegging of Elvis material in the 21st century. FTD was created to take on the bootleggers, but that wasnt enough for many fans, who wanted both. I have no time for anyone who has praised or worked with bootleggers over the last ten or fifteen years. Every soundboard or alternate take (of copyrighted material) released on bootleg before Sony is theoretically taking sales away from FTD.

I am the first to state that FTD is often sloppy, lazy, and even slapping the face of those who have supported it, but supporting those who have got hold of copyrighted tapes illegally is also a slap in the face for FTD. It is perfectly clear that the bootlegs of EOT material are going to affect subsequent sales of legal releases of the same material.
If Sony have access to the multitrack tapes of the four recorded concerts, and they are released next year for the 50th anniversary, then I think most fans would support such a release, as that would represent a significant improvement over any previous bootleg release.

In respect of the bootleg issue generally, it all comes down to supply and demand really. The four concerts being discussed here showcase Elvis at the top of his game, and three of them have been gathering dust in the RCA vaults for the last 50 years. So, I certainly wouldn't criticise any fan for buying bootleg releases of these shows over the years. I also own bootleg versions of the four shows and the rehearsal material, but would certainly support an official release from the multitrack tapes.

However, like many collectors, I didn't want to wait 50 years to hear them, and this is why I bought the bootleg releases. Going back to my original post - The point I was trying to make, is that whilst the four concerts have been bootlegged, none of these releases were sourced from the original RCA multitrack tapes. So, I expect there would still be significant interest from collectors in any proposed official release.

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Rob »

rockinrebel wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:16 pm
However, like many collectors, I didn't want to wait 50 years to hear them, and this is why I bought the bootleg releases.
50 years be damned. If there is something released that I'm interested in, regardless of who releases it, I'm not waiting at all. I'm a collector and I really don't care if it is a bootleg or an official release. I've never failed to buy an FTD release because of a bootleg release. The only FTD releases that I have rejected are solely ones that I had no interest in. I have both of the 'new' 1973 Vegas shows on bootleg already, but I'm still ordering from FTD.

The Amiga 'On Tour' set is an outstanding release to me. Since I've owned it, I no longer cared if an official release would materialize or not. If it does, it will be in my collection. I love FTD, but I won't sit around waiting on them. A bootleg label releases something that I want to own, it's on my shelf.

If FTD releases it later, I'll buy it, too, then give the bootleg release away.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

Rockin_John

Post by Rockin_John »

The On Tour material is the practically the only "gold" left in the vault. I've actually stayed away from bootleg video, and bootleg audio just to really enjoy the hell out of an official release!

Keep on Rockin'

pmp
Registered for: 5 years

Post by pmp »

Surprise! Anyone wanting the EOT audio is going to have to buy a thumping great book in order to get it. Not that FTD is holding fans over a barrel or anything...

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.