Young Ernst talks about "On Tour" tapes in EMM

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

midniteflyer
Registered for: 14 years 8 months

Re: Young Ernst talks about "On Tour" tapes in EMM

Post by midniteflyer »

Think I will keep enjoying what I already have of the On Tour shows, another missed opportunity imo but I'm getting used to being disappointed with FTD lately.

steve in SC
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by steve in SC »

Yeppers this also means no mainstream release like they did for TTWII. Disappointing. The good news here is that I am completely satisfied with the Amiga EOT set so this will not be a “have to get set” Don’t know what they could include thats not on the Amiga set. Now more interested about the October release this year. A wild guess here but maybe a ‘71 Nashville set since it looks like there will be no mainstream rekease, or the Blue Hawaii sessions? Hate to say this but we may have seen the last of the mainstream releases.

pmp
Registered for: 4 years 10 months

Post by pmp »

steve in SC wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:50 pm
Yeppers this also means no mainstream release like they did for TTWII. Disappointing. The good news here is that I am completely satisfied with the Amiga EOT set so this will not be a “have to get set” Don’t know what they could include thats not on the Amiga set. Now more interested about the October release this year. A wild guess here but maybe a ‘71 Nashville set since it looks like there will be no mainstream rekease, or the Blue Hawaii sessions? Hate to say this but we may have seen the last of the mainstream releases.
It will almost undoubtedly be a 1971 release, for copyright reasons.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

So we are going to have to buy one or two large format books just to get the audio.

Sometimes FTD's policy makes bootlegging inevitable.

steve in SC

Post by steve in SC »

rockinrebel wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:48 pm
So we are going to have to buy one or two large format books just to get the audio.

Sometimes FTD's policy makes bootlegging inevitable.
Certainly looks that way. :smt006

Rockin_John
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by Rockin_John »

I say it again. Why would I want a bunch of photos of an event that was filmed??

Keep on Rockin'

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by emjel »

Rockin_John wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:29 am
I say it again. Why would I want a bunch of photos of an event that was filmed??
David English’ books go deeper than being just books with a bunch of photos.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

chop983
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Post by chop983 »

Rockin_John wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:13 pm
The On Tour material is the practically the only "gold" left in the vault. I've actually stayed away from bootleg video, and bootleg audio just to really enjoy the hell out of an official release!
72 MGS - Done
73 Stax - Done
74 Live in Memphis - Done
75 Today - Done
76 Jungle room - Done

As you say once EOT is out all we have left are session sets from FTD and soundboards which may are either going to explode with the Jackson family link up or die on the vine with Sound booths now becoming part of the equation.

I've been collecting now for around 30 years, since Ernst began his expanded re-release schedule in the 90's, and it's been a gas.

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

emjel wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:55 am
Rockin_John wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:29 am
David English’ books go deeper than being just books with a bunch of photos.
I wouldn't disagree with this, but we should really be given the option to buy the audio separately. Not everyone wants the books for various reasons: space, cost, what they choose to collect etc.

I find FTD's marketing strategy a little cynical here, as they know that by releasing the long awaited multitrack shows (and any additional audio) as part of a larger CD / book package, some collectors will feel obliged to buy it for the audio, even if they don't really want the books.

Of course if the audio was also released separately at the same time, this would impact on the sales of the books - so we know that this isn't going to happen.

Mike in New Jersey
Registered for: 20 years 8 months
Location: Well, I don't live in New Jersey anymore.. does that mean I have to change my screen name? :-)

Post by Mike in New Jersey »

Reading that link above about On Tour audio being attached to an FTD book project...no thanks. If a mainstream release comes out, I'll snag that, or if there is a way to get the audio separately via FTD (which I doubt, or else why the book)... or if the audio and book are in a price zone I can afford...then fine. But it looks like I can't count on Sony/FTD to do the right thing with the Elvis On Tour audio. So, I'm not waiting any longer. I just snagged a copy of the Amiga set. I do want to make it clear, though that if a mainstream set, or a reasonably priced FTD set come about. I'll buy that as well...I'm becoming less confident of that however.

emjel

Post by emjel »

Mike in New Jersey wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:23 pm
Reading that link above about On Tour audio being attached to an FTD book project...no thanks. If a mainstream release comes out, I'll snag that, or if there is a way to get the audio separately via FTD (which I doubt, or else why the book)... or if the audio and book are in a price zone I can afford...then fine. But it looks like I can't count on Sony/FTD to do the right thing with the Elvis On Tour audio. So, I'm not waiting any longer. I just snagged a copy of the Amiga set. I do want to make it clear, though that if a mainstream set, or a reasonably priced FTD set come about. I'll buy that as well...I'm becoming less confident of that however.
Well they won’t do that - it will split the market which is already small for this kind of thing. My understanding is that Sony will be doing one of the shows on CD and vinyl for mainstream which is fine as it will not pull too many collectors away from the FTD release.

That aside, just be happy you are not a George Harrison collector, although maybe you are, but UMG have just announced a variant of releases for the 50th anniversary of All Things Must Pass with a super super deluxe set which has a price tag of around $800. Even the slightly more basic deluxe set with 5 CDs is around $120.

~

Rockin_John

Post by Rockin_John »

I sill say that the Prince From Another Planet is the best release concept Sony ever did.
2 great shows, coupled with a DVD and a booklet. All at a reasonable price.

That would be perfect for the Midnight show Aug 12 , 1970 as well as Hampton Roads 1972.

Keep on Rockin'

emjel

Post by emjel »

Rockin_John wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:41 pm
I sill say that the Prince From Another Planet is the best release concept Sony ever did.

That would be perfect for the Midnight show Aug 12 , 1970 as well as Hampton Roads 1972.
The advantage PFAP had, especially with advertising/promotion, was that it had some historical context with the shows being from the well known Madison Square Garden venue and were Elvis’ first live appearances in New York. The On Tour stuff holds little interest to those outside of the fanbase so Sony will be reluctant to do any deluxe kind of version and will from what I understand concentrate on a regular release.

~

OnTourCam

Post by OnTourCam »

elvis-fan I should of said Mix :)

Agree Prince From Another Planet was a fantastic Set
Still a little puzzled why the afternoon gig always sounds more bright mixed compared to the Evening Warm sound maybe it's just they recorded and can't be changed ?

Tmorelli01
Registered for: 13 years

Post by Tmorelli01 »

OnTourCam wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:19 am
I was very upset when i first heard Close up disc 4 San Antonio show i was shocked how the sound sounded.
I would go as far as saying the mix in the original movie sounded better

to my ears it sounded plastic very thin absolutely no bass or balls to the mix what so ever
As Elvis said: “…BRING THAT BASS UP GODDAMN*T!!”

Topic author
Keith Richards, Jr.
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

Rockin_John wrote:
That's a good one for sure. The DVD was a nice surprise at the time, and I like that very much - a very cool addition. The booklet is just the right size. The cover art is iconic. I also like the remix they did, altough the mastering could have been better. But really, I prefer this release to the original vinyl. The new mix is better - I never liked the original mix. Even back when I was young and stupid, I instantly liked the Memphis '74 show much better than the MSG '72 show. At least I got that one right.

Yep, "Prince From Another Planet" is a classic.

Would be cool if FTD could do their own CD/DVD package like that with a soundboard and some 8 mm film but it seems unlikely at this stage. I don't trust the bootleggers to do it right now that the classic labels have folded and the new guys have discovered that you can hire some 16 year old computer kid to "improve" and "modernize" the sondboards on his computer. :shock: :D

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

Topic author
Keith Richards, Jr.
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

By the way, I find it strange that my FECC friends seem confident that Ernst has all the "On Tour" tapes and will release them next year. I still believe that there are issues we don't know about. Twenty years after they were recorded, Ernst confessed that they didn't have all the tapes, and like I said he's hinted at this in recent times too - either that he doesn't have them, or that he can't release them. Hopefully I'm wrong. I guess we'll find out eventually.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

samses

Post by samses »

Fantastic news if it means that we will get a book/CD-release like the TTWII-brick from last year. At last we will know what they have in the vaults.

joekro1977
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by joekro1977 »

I'm disappointed, but I already knew this was going to be the play that Sony/FTD would make. As others have pointed out this is the last nugget of true gold that they have. Thank goodness this wasn't their play when things like On Stage, MSG, Nashville, Stax, or WDITJR were released.

I guess I can hope that it will only be ONE book and not two.

It's 800 miles from my house to Graceland, but I'm always up for making the trip!

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Robert »

emjel wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:53 pm
Rockin_John wrote:

The advantage PFAP had, especially with advertising/promotion, was that it had some historical context with the shows being from the well known Madison Square Garden venue and were Elvis’ first live appearances in New York. The On Tour stuff holds little interest to those outside of the fanbase so Sony will be reluctant to do any deluxe kind of version and will from what I understand concentrate on a regular release.
A deluxe FTD version combined with a regular Legacy release could work.
PFAP wasn't an expensive package but I agree there should be a more democratic option for fans who don't want to go for an expensive EOT book/cd combo.
Personally I'm in for anything EOT related.
We haven't seen much after the San Antonio release, by far the worst multi track concert audio in the entire catalogue.

I think Richmond will be hard to improve but new sound on the other three shows is highly anticipated by this fan.

pmp
Registered for: 4 years 10 months

Post by pmp »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:08 pm
By the way, I find it strange that my FECC friends seem confident that Ernst has all the "On Tour" tapes and will release them next year. I still believe that there are issues we don't know about. Twenty years after they were recorded, Ernst confessed that they didn't have all the tapes, and like I said he's hinted at this in recent times too - either that he doesn't have them, or that he can't release them. Hopefully I'm wrong. I guess we'll find out eventually.
I don't believe that there was a rights issue. If there was, there would have been an acknowledgement in the Close Up set, thanking whoever the rights owner is. Either way, no matter who owns it, they come out of copyright in the UK and Europe next year, and so undoubtedly an arrangement would be sorted out or all interested parties lose out.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

Rockin_John

Post by Rockin_John »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:08 pm
I've heard someplace that MGM owns the tapes, and not Sony. Could that be true?

Keep on Rockin'

steve in SC

Post by steve in SC »

joekro1977 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:34 pm
I'm disappointed, but I already knew this was going to be the play that Sony/FTD would make. As others have pointed out this is the last nugget of true gold that they have. Thank goodness this wasn't their play when things like On Stage, MSG, Nashville, Stax, or WDITJR were released.

I have a confession. I bought the TTWII set when it came out. I have played the cds but I have yet to look at either book. Am I wierd? :smt006

Rockin_John

Post by Rockin_John »

steve in SC wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:48 pm
joekro1977 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:34 pm

I have a confession. I bought the TTWII set when it came out. I have played the cds but I have yet to look at either book. Am I wierd? :smt006
No, just wealthy.

Keep on Rockin'

chop983
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Post by chop983 »

I wonder how many pages this post will be by next September?