FredAistair wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:26 pm
lanadelslay wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:19 pm
BrianTCB wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:31 am
jurasic1968 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:29 am
Well, Jesse Presley, Vernon's father died at 77 years old and Minnie Mae, Elvis's grandma died at 90 years old. Elvis' uncle Vester died at 83 years old. Billy Smith is alive at 80 years old. So I don't think it was an underlying hereditary genetic heart condition or defect that has gone undiagnosed throughout the family.
Gladys' parents both died very young, and her father died very unexpectedly and suddenly, so it could be something hereditary from the mother's side.

Gladys' father died early - very unexpectedly and suddenly - 58
Gladys' mother died early from sickness - 59
Gladys died early - 46
Elvis died early - 42
Vernon died early - 63
Lisa Marie died early - 54

Some sudden cardiac event causing death has happened to just about everybody in that mother's lineage: Gladys.
But Gladys was worried and died after that from substance abuse (alcohol). Elvis worked himself to death, was a huge superstar, too much responsibility, lost his mother who was his everything, then Vernon lost his son which seemed to have made his health deteriorate. Then Lisa Marie loses her dad which made her use substance abuse then her son and years later her health deteriorates. To me it's more a history of mental health issues & grief/tragedy than anything
No, genetics suggest a likely heart condition, the rest is just noise.
https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/7126452/lisa-marie-presely-health-update-elvis-family-tree-death/

I haven't read the book, but the article appears to be sound. Yes, I realize it's the Sun, but it has some interesting observations:

The most obvious: Doll Smith and Bob Smith were first cousins, which is a no-no for a reason.

Both Elvis and Gladys suffered the same 4-year degenerative health decline leading up to their deaths.

Gladys' doctor has long been quoted as saying that while it looked like it was hepatitis brought on by her alcoholism, he could not work out what was wrong with her.

The author believes that "Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency, an inherited and rarely diagnosed disorder that can cause lung and liver disease" was also a cause of Elvis' death, something that was discovered after he died.

=========================================

More from the article:

In her book, Hoedel examines the health issues of Elvis' grandmother, Doll Smith, who is believed to have suffered from Tuberculosis for more than 30 years.

“Again, something that doesn’t make sense, but continued to be passed down the family tree and then throughout recorded Elvis history as well," said Hoedel.

“This book explains how that Tuberculosis was most certainly a misdiagnosis in the early 1900s.

“From there, with the first-cousin marriage, we can see that Gladys most likely inherited two damaged genes and a more serious version of the disease.”

BrianTCB
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Re: Lisa Marie has passed away

Post by BrianTCB »

Also worth noting, all of Gladys' brothers died young:

Tracy Smith - died 49
Travis Smith - died 59
Johney Smith - died 46

DEH
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by DEH »

More footage is showing up from the Golden Globes. Of Jerry and others helping her down steps and to walk. So either she was loaded up on medication or something else or there was something physically wrong with her. And she looked unhealthy thin.

FredAistair
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by FredAistair »

BrianTCB wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:36 am
FredAistair wrote:
lanadelslay wrote:
BrianTCB wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:
Well, Jesse Presley, Vernon's father died at 77 years old and Minnie Mae, Elvis's grandma died at 90 years old. Elvis' uncle Vester died at 83 years old. Billy Smith is alive at 80 years old. So I don't think it was an underlying hereditary genetic heart condition or defect that has gone undiagnosed throughout the family.
Gladys' parents both died very young, and her father died very unexpectedly and suddenly, so it could be something hereditary from the mother's side.

Gladys died early - 46
Elvis died early - 42
Vernon died early - 63

Some sudden cardiac event causing death has happened to just about everybody in that mother's lineage: Gladys.
But Gladys was worried and died after that from substance abuse (alcohol). Elvis worked himself to death, was a huge superstar, too much responsibility, lost his mother who was his everything, then Vernon lost his son which seemed to have made his health deteriorate. Then Lisa Marie loses her dad which made her use substance abuse then her son and years later her health deteriorates. To me it's more a history of mental health issues & grief/tragedy than anything
https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/7126452/lisa-marie-presely-health-update-elvis-family-tree-death/

I haven't read the book, but the article appears to be sound. Yes, I realize it's the Sun, but it has some interesting observations:

The most obvious: Doll Smith and Bob Smith were first cousins, which is a no-no for a reason.

Both Elvis and Gladys suffered the same 4-year degenerative health decline leading up to their deaths.

Gladys' doctor has long been quoted as saying that while it looked like it was hepatitis brought on by her alcoholism, he could not work out what was wrong with her.

The author believes that "Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency, an inherited and rarely diagnosed disorder that can cause lung and liver disease" was also a cause of Elvis' death, something that was discovered after he died.

More from the article:

In her book, Hoedel examines the health issues of Elvis' grandmother, Doll Smith, who is believed to have suffered from Tuberculosis for more than 30 years.

“Again, something that doesn’t make sense, but continued to be passed down the family tree and then throughout recorded Elvis history as well," said Hoedel.

“This book explains how that Tuberculosis was most certainly a misdiagnosis in the early 1900s.

“From there, with the first-cousin marriage, we can see that Gladys most likely inherited two damaged genes and a more serious version of the disease.”
Very likely , other factors may not have helped, but very clear signs of genetic issues

eligain
Registered for: 14 years 1 month

Post by eligain »

FredAistair wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:11 am
BrianTCB wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:36 am
FredAistair wrote:
lanadelslay wrote:
BrianTCB wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:

Gladys died early - 46
Elvis died early - 42
Vernon died early - 63

More from the article:

Very likely , other factors may not have helped, but very clear signs of genetic issues
But we just don't know that because we just don't know yet what caused her heart to stop. Cardiac arrest just means her heart stopped. What are the clear signs?
Last edited by eligain on Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

YDKM
Registered for: 21 years 6 months

Post by YDKM »

Well it seems certain their is a lot of confusion around her death, on the footage from 8th she looked ok and walked by herself in her massive high heels and talked closely with fans, but Geez just 2 days later she seemed very un steady and ill.

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

YDKM wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:50 am
Also do we just accept she died from a heart attack and that is the complete end of it?

Maybe "we" can let her family grieve, complete a private service, and put her in the ground before we worry about this.

:roll:

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

arnaudbxl
Registered for: 11 years 1 month
Mood:

Post by arnaudbxl »

Tomcat wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:27 pm
arnaudbxl wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:56 pm
I say this for years, often having to defend my pov with Elvis fans more than others : LMP was and still is a great artist and a one-of-a-kind songwriter. She really had a talent of her own and I hope something will be done regarding what she left behind.

I love LMP not because she was Elvis’daughter (that is just how I knew who she was) but because of her artistry and her personality. Her songs, right since her 2003 debuts, immediately hit it with me. The global melancholy that the listener can feel listening to her, her smoky voice, the real beauty of her melodies (Heartless, Forgiving, Just a dream, Sticks and stones, and so many others)…. Her work deserve a better attention.

If like me her death hurt you, if you wonder how you could pay tribute in such a sad time, just give LMP songs a chance and listen to her. Not to her father but to her. This would be the highest tribute you can pay.
I do, I‘m listening to Storm & Grace, I think it‘s a wonderful album. I wanted to buy it this morning, which is 10 hours ago here, but the only CDs abailable were on ebay for three or four hundred Euro, so I bought it on iTunes, have nothing in the hand, but i‘m listening to beautiful melancholic music.
That's just so great Tomcat, she'd be so happy to know that she's listened to for the qualities of her music and not out of curiosity.
Her 3 albums are really different one from the other. The first, "to whom it may concer" (what a title, it says it all right fom the start) is a kind of "let me introduce myself as someone of my own", it have a sound that blends fm rock / country with a blues tone here and there. Big production, big sound, LMP is still somewhat hiding her voice (she felt deeply insecure about herself on that point, terrified by the comparison with Elvis). The second, "Now what", heads further to a heavy rock direction, with highly polished numbers, and a very rare incursion into electronic with "Raven". Lyrics, all signed by LMP, are of the same high level for both albums: sardonic, melancholic, terribly lucid and poetic. With some punchlines and a metaphoric sense of telling a personal story that can touch anyone. LMP makes melancholy rocks, and it is something particularly interesting in her approach of songwriting.
And the third, well, how to describe "storm and grace"? Its levelled meanings, brutally autobiographical lyrics, the maturity and radically different approach of the sound? Produced by T Bone Burnett, it is an album that plunge into the musical roots of her father but with a "midnight in the garden of good and evil" style. Any listener who knows LMP's life will easily undertsand what she's singing about, and the result is sometimes heartwrenching. The rootsy production, rough, with LMP 's voice at last clear and front, the sincerity that is on every seconds of each song; S&G is a masterpiece, plain and simple.

My personal favourites for each albums:

TWIMC:
SOB
Lights out
Bette beware
Nobody noticed it
Sinking in
Indifferent

NW
I'll figure it out
Turbulence
Dirty laundry
Idiot (what a song!)
Turn to black (a masterpiece of dark, desperate mood translated into a song and a transparent reference to MJ)
Raven (the tribute song that makes you respect Priscilla no matter what you think of her)
Now what (one of her most beautiful ballad)

S&G
You ain't seen nothing yet (among her best lyrics, it's pure venom, provocative attack on the Scientology, using their own vocabulary, we're on a very high level of songwriting skills here)
Close to the edge
So long
Soften the blows
How do you fly this plane?
Forgiving (masterpiece)
Heartless (in my opinion her greatest song and studio performance... the simplicity of her desperation in the lyrics and the interpretation is one of an Amy Winehouse level)
Sticks and stones ( 4 th masterpiece in LMP's career imo, please check on YT the live version, she starts with a chilling acapella, and go into percussions during a bridge, her performance is pure sincerity and talent)
Just a dream (same category as Now what: raw emotions laid bare for all to hear)

And you, Tomcat and fellow members of the forum, those who love LMP albums, which songs are your favourites?
Last edited by arnaudbxl on Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

promiseland
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Post by promiseland »

Jaime1234 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:29 am
Extraordinary CNN segment on her death

Of course "the fake news" would have the answer.. :roll:

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Heartfelt tributes and condolences, from a number of stage and screen legends such as John Travolta, Nicolas Cage, Tom Hanks , Austin Butler, Sean & Julian Lennon and Yoko Ono...

https://www.glamour.com/story/celebrities-remember-lisa-marie-presley

promiseland
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Post by promiseland »

As Doc said earlier about the rumors of the hereditary crap is false.
Everyone should stop assuming what she died from, unless the family wants to release it, it isn't anyone's business here .
Just celebrate the good times we had her here.

BobDylan
Registered for: 9 years 10 months

Post by BobDylan »

Does it really matter what the cause was? She is gone and there is a family and friends grieving her loss.

Let it go.

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Post by Cryogenic »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:25 am
YDKM wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:50 am
Also do we just accept she died from a heart attack and that is the complete end of it?

Maybe "we" can let her family grieve, complete a private service, and put her in the ground before we worry about this.

:roll:
I see what you're saying, Doc. I've said my piece on that whole front for now (Page 6). We should be mourning her loss and celebrating her life as much as anything. However, I think discussing that topic, as callous as it may seem to immediately launch into it, is how some people prefer to process their emotions and make sense of passings like these. Let's all just try to be dignified in the way we communicate and good to one another, however we choose to post or whatever we choose to post about.

Tang Lungs side kick
Registered for: 13 years 4 months

Post by Tang Lungs side kick »

I agree , cause of death is of less relevance (unless the person was straight up killed then obviously it matters)

"horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that something like this was just around the corner"

had the same feeling a few yrs before Anna Nicole died and in 2005 I had a feeling that the last lawsuit would be the end of Michael Jackson....i was right

Chucky99
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by Chucky99 »

For me ,there are 3 possible causes of death in her case. All 3 can cause the heart to stop beating
1. Myocardial infarction caused by coronary heart disease or substance abuse
2. Structural cardiac muscle disease ( cardiomyopathy )
3 pulmonary embolism.

PS: she had terrible stomach pain before she collapsed
An inferior myocardial.infarction can cause symptoms like stomach pain.

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

I can tell you from personal experience that i didn't feel well in the 24-36 hrs prior to me experiencing a heart attack when i was 44. my guess is what we saw at the GGs was her not feeling well and ignoring the symptons, as i did.

She was discovered by her housekeeper in her bed at 1030am, likely having died in her sleep. CPR and an adrenaline shot got her heart beating again but, after arriving at the hospital tests confirmed she was brain dead. A DNR was signed by her next of Kin (likely her eldest daughter) and she died when her heart stopped again a couple of hours later. Reminds me of how Carrie Fisher died.

My guess is we'll hear in a few weeks that she died of natural causes. On the maternal side of Elvis' family there is likely a hereditary defect, probably just heart disease. but so many have died in their 40s-50s Riley and her sisters should not ignore it.

The family should release the cause of death when available to avoid the lingering speculation/circus/conspiracy theories that are already starting (her death was due to the Covid vaccine, lol) and have plagued the family regarding Elvis's death for decades.

Always Elvis
Anthony

DEH

Post by DEH »

You have to feel for Priscilla because now whenever she goes back to Graceland for events she will be visiting her daughter's grave. Awful.

BrianTCB

Post by BrianTCB »

ForeverElvis wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:30 am
I can tell you from personal experience that i didn't feel well in the 24-36 hrs prior to me experiencing a heart attack when i was 44. my guess is what we saw at the GGs was her not feeling well and ignoring the symptons, as i did.

She was discovered by her housekeeper in her bed at 1030am, likely having died in her sleep. CPR and an adrenaline shot got her heart beating again but, after arriving at the hospital tests confirmed she was brain dead. A DNR was signed by her next of Kin (likely her eldest daughter) and she died when her heart stopped again a couple of hours later. Reminds me of how Carrie Fisher died.

My guess is we'll hear in a few weeks that she died of natural causes. On the maternal side of Elvis' family there is likely a hereditary defect, probably just heart disease. but so many have died in their 40s-50s Riley and her sisters should not ignore it.

The family should release the cause of death when available to avoid the lingering speculation/circus/conspiracy theories that are already starting (her death was due to the Covid vaccine, lol) and have plagued the family regarding Elvis's death for decades.
Very good points, ForeverElvis. I don't think this should be ignored. But speculative analysis on hereditary factors is different than conspiracy theories. And most of this will go away once the knowledge of what her cause of death was is made public.

How many people smoke like Vernon did and still live to their 80s and 90s? Only Gladys' sisters lived to their 70s, and one died of cancer.

All of Gladys' brothers died at 49, 59, and 46, respectively. With Gladys dying at 46, Elvis at 42, and now Lisa at 54, this is not just a coincidence. That's now 6 family members on Gladys' side that died early.

2 family members? Okay, a fluke. 3? Another fluke. 4? 5? 6? Now we're seeing a trend here that points to something underlying.

There's evidence that points to something that's a defect and should not be ignored. I hope for the sake of Riley and her sisters that Priscilla wants to actively figure out what's going on.

BrianTCB

Post by BrianTCB »

All I know is, is that if I were in Priscilla's shoes, I would want to be militant about stopping this to ensure it doesn't happen to another family member. This would mean tests and everything from a cardiologist who specializes in finding and diagnosing genetic hereditary heart issues.
Last edited by BrianTCB on Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

brian

Post by brian »

BrianTCB wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:59 am
All of Gladys' brothers died at 49, 59, and 46, respectively. With Gladys dying at 46, Elvis at 42, and now Lisa at 54, this is not just a coincidence. That's now 6 family members on Gladys' side that died early.
Well, Elvis would've lived longer than 42 if he had taken better care of himself. That goes without saying. Gladys Presley family members died from different things they didn't all die from heart problems or heart disease. I've read that her father Bob Smith died from pneumonia.

BrianTCB

Post by BrianTCB »

brian wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:08 am
BrianTCB wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:59 am
Well, Elvis would've lived longer than 42 if he had taken better care of himself. That goes without saying. Gladys Presley family members died from different things they didn't all die from heart problems or heart disease. I've read that her father Bob Smith died from pneumonia.
Pneumonia can increase the stress on the heart and has the potential to lead to a cardiac event such as a heart attack, arrhythmia, or heart failure, depending on its severity.

brian

Post by brian »

BrianTCB wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:13 am
Pneumonia can increase the stress on the heart and has the potential to lead to a cardiac event such as a heart attack, arrhythmia, or heart failure, depending on its severity.
I've thought that Bob Smith might've been saved with modern medicine because antibiotics wasn't widely available back then. I do understand what you are saying about the Smith side of the family though. When I looked into the Smith family tree a few years ago I discovered that most of Gladys Presley's siblings and her parents passed away at a young age. They all died from different things but most of them died before the age of 60. Knowing that it made more sense to me that Gladys Presley could pass away at such a young age of 46.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Another music legend tweeted this classy message, bless her.

Chucky99
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by Chucky99 »

Wonderwall wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:50 am
Chucky99 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:05 am
For me ,there are 3 possible causes of death in her case. All 3 can cause the heart to stop beating
1. Myocardial infarction caused by coronary heart disease or substance abuse
2. Structural cardiac muscle disease ( cardiomyopathy )
3 pulmonary embolism.
“You have two lives remaining. You can ask the audience, or you can phone a friend…”
We shall see my friend....

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

BrianTCB wrote:
ForeverElvis wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:30 am

Very good points, ForeverElvis. I don't think this should be ignored. But speculative analysis on hereditary factors is different than conspiracy theories. And most of this will go away once the knowledge of what her cause of death was is made public.

How many people smoke like Vernon did and still live to their 80s and 90s? Only Gladys' sisters lived to their 70s, and one died of cancer.

2 family members? Okay, a fluke. 3? Another fluke. 4? 5? 6? Now we're seeing a trend here that points to something underlying.

There's evidence that points to something that's a defect and should not be ignored. I hope for the sake of Riley and her sisters that Priscilla wants to actively figure out what's going on.
Thank You.
Besides who you’ve mentioned there are Elvis’s maternal Grandmother, Doll who died at 59 and Elvis’s maternal Great-Great Grandmother Nancy, dead at 61.

Does anyone know the name and age at death of Elvis’s maternal Great-Grandmother (Doll’s Mom)?

It really does make you think there was something hereditary going on. Wasn’t it Billy Smith who said, “all the Smith’s had bad hearts”

Always Elvis
Anthony