Moderators: FECC-Moderator, Moderator5, Moderator3, Site Mechanic

ForeverElvis
Registered for: 21 years 6 months

Lisa Marie has passed away

Post by ForeverElvis »

brian wrote:
BrianTCB wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:59 am
All of Gladys' brothers died at 49, 59, and 46, respectively. With Gladys dying at 46, Elvis at 42, and now Lisa at 54, this is not just a coincidence. That's now 6 family members on Gladys' side that died early.
Well, Elvis would've lived longer than 42 if he had taken better care of himself. That goes without saying. Gladys Presley family members died from different things they didn't all die from heart problems or heart disease. I've read that her father Bob Smith died from pneumonia.
Unfortunately, the further you go back in ancestry research causes of death become less clear. A hundred years ago doctors just didn’t know what killed you.

And things we survive today meant certain death 60 years ago.

My paternal grandmother died from a heart attack at 64 due to clogged arteries. In 1964 open heart bypass surgery was rare (first one was 1961). Her diagnosis was a death sentence.

16 years later in 1980 my Dad, her Son, was diagnosed with the same thing but surgery had become more commonplace. (over 100,000 procedures in 1979) I remember seeing him the night before his surgery, our hugs and words of affection carried the feeling of finality. We both knew he might not survive. He did. He was 56, I was 16.

28 years later I have a heart attack due to the same thing, clogged arteries, but, technology has advanced in such a way that I have a short procedure called an angioplasty. Two stents are inserted to open my arteries. I was 44.

It was clear that Heart disease runs along the paternal line in my family. Three of us were affected, that’s all the warning I need. The Smith family has 8 or more young deaths - alarm bells should be deafening.

My Son will need tests every 5 years or so to catch it early as he’s likely to develop it.
Last edited by ForeverElvis on Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Always Elvis
Anthony

BrianTCB
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Re: Lisa Marie has passed away

Post by BrianTCB »

The key line in this article is telling:

"She showed me where she would be buried someday. I said a long time from now … and she said yes, I have so much to do."

Lisa had no idea. So this was a sudden cardiac event she had no control over. And this does not point to somebody who would be overdosing or otherwise intoxicated with drugs.

Lisa Marie Presley Was 'At Peace' During Graceland Visit Days Before Her Death, Says Friend David Kessler

https://people.com/music/grief-counselor-who-met-with-lisa-marie-presley-following-sons-death/

A grief counselor Lisa Marie Presley sought out after the death of her son is speaking out about the late star's desire to become an advocate for those also in grief.

David Kessler, an expert on grief and loss and the founder of grief.com, also experienced the sudden death of an adult son and their shared tragedies grew into a shared bond — and eventually, an inspiring catalyst for Lisa Marie to also strive to help others.

Calling her a "loyal daughter and devoted mother," Kessler revealed in his tribute to the late star on Instagram Friday, that "the loss of her son inspired her to work toward becoming an advocate for those who are struggling with the heartbreak of grief."

He added, "She had her challenges but always faced them. She was in my grief educator program and many who met her and chatted with her had no idea who she was. To them, she was a mother, whose son had died and wanted to turn her pain into purpose."

"Her family, love for music, maintaining her father's legacy, and helping others became her priorities," Kessler noted, saying that the two were even thinking about starting a podcast together.

Kessler, additionally, shared details about the 54-year-old's final days, including her recent trip to Memphis, Tennessee to celebrate what would be her late father's 88th birthday at Graceland with fans.

Lisa Marie Presley, Daughter of Elvis and Priscilla, Dead at 54: 'The Most Strong and Loving Woman'
"Last weekend was so much fun and she was optimistic," he said, explaining that he had accompanied her to the celebration.

"Graceland was her happy place and the employees who all knew her shared that she was looking so much better. She looked more at peace and was so proud of the Elvis movie."

"Saturday night we sat at the graves of her father and son. We talked about the heartbreak she grew up with and the more recent devastation of her son's death.

"She showed me where she would be buried someday. I said a long time from now … and she said yes, I have so much to do."

On Thursday, Lisa Marie was rushed to the hospital and died later that night. Her mother Priscilla Presley said in a statement to PEOPLE, "It is with a heavy heart that I must share the devastating news that my beautiful daughter Lisa Marie has left us."

Priscilla continued, "She was the most passionate strong and loving woman I have ever known. We ask for privacy as we try to deal with this profound loss. Thank you for the love and prayers. At this time there will be no further comment."

tinseltown
Registered for: 1 year 10 months

Post by tinseltown »

promiseland wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:56 am
Jaime1234 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:29 am
Extraordinary CNN segment on her death

Of course "the fake news" would have the answer.. :roll:
Says the man with a fake avatar photo.

Swedish

Post by Swedish »

fb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shakin' Stevens aka Michael Barratt March 4th 1948 - 36 Marcross Rd, Cardiff suburb of Ely, South Wales

Swedish

Post by Swedish »

BrianTCB wrote:
Only Gladys' sisters lived to their 70s, and one died of cancer.

All of Gladys' brothers died at 49, 59, and 46, respectively. With Gladys dying at 46, Elvis at 42, and now Lisa at 54, this is not just a coincidence. That's now 6 family members on Gladys' side that died early.
ForeverElvis wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:19 pm
Wasn’t it Billy Smith who said, “all the Smith’s had bad hearts”
But how did Billy Smith survive this genetic, who in April will be 80 years old!

Shakin' Stevens aka Michael Barratt March 4th 1948 - 36 Marcross Rd, Cardiff suburb of Ely, South Wales

TheKingOfMusicEP
Registered for: 2 years 8 months

Post by TheKingOfMusicEP »

Does anyone know when the funeral will be?

jurasic1968
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

Medicine evolved rapidly since Vernon died in 1979. Bypass was very rare back then with stents for the heart. If he had such a surgery, he could live longer.

ForeverElvis

Lisa Marie has passed away

Post by ForeverElvis »

Swedish wrote:
BrianTCB wrote:

ForeverElvis wrote:
But how did Billy Smith survive this genetic, who in April will be 80 years old!
Heredity diseases don’t necessarily strike everyone and Billy is Elvis’s first cousin, he Carrie’s only 12.5% of Elvis’s dna , maybe that’s not enough. Lol

https://www.crigenetics.com/blog/are-double-cousins-genetically-siblings?hs_amp=true

Always Elvis
Anthony

eligain
Registered for: 14 years 1 month

Post by eligain »

ForeverElvis wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:43 pm
Swedish wrote:
BrianTCB wrote:

ForeverElvis wrote:
Heredity diseases don’t necessarily strike everyone and Billy is Elvis’s first cousin, he Carrie’s only 12.5% of Elvis’s dna , maybe that’s not enough. Lol

https://www.crigenetics.com/blog/are-double-cousins-genetically-siblings?hs_amp=true
Billy would have similar % heredity of the Smith genetic traits to Elvis since Elvis' mother and Billy's father were brother and sister. Vernon's parents lived fairly long lives. Jesse 77, Minnie Mae 89.

BrianTCB

Post by BrianTCB »

eligain wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:45 pm
ForeverElvis wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:43 pm
Swedish wrote:
BrianTCB wrote:

ForeverElvis wrote:

Billy would have similar % heredity of the Smith genetic traits to Elvis since Elvis' mother and Billy's father were brother and sister. Vernon's parents lived fairly long lives. Jesse 77, Minnie Mae 89.
Beating the odds, assuming that there are odds to beat, is really just beating the odds. It's also possible for the hereditary condition to skip a person once or twice. Not unheard of.

Jaime1234
Registered for: 13 years

Post by Jaime1234 »

Wonderwall wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:20 pm
Swedish wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:37 pm

Haven't you ever spoken to somebody who said "My grandfather smoked 80 cigarettes a day since he was a young boy, drank a bottle of whisky every week all his adult life, and he lived to be 98" ?

Some people beat the odds, it's as simple as that. Assuming, in this case, that there are any odds to beat.
Or have the best physician in the world have a meticulous look after you, every 5 years or so, for the last 46 years of your life, as was the case wth my great grand mother, who died seven weeks short of her 101th birthday. The physician's name can be seen as you enter 40 hospitals and more than 300 health and urgent care centers across several states of the Union.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

Gene Smith, Elvis' first cousin, died at 65 years old. He was two years older than Vernon. Not very old, but not on a young age either.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

here's another music icon Nancy Sinatra, her personal tribute. Shows how close the Presleys and Sinatra families and mutual respect.

tinseltown
Registered for: 1 year 10 months

Post by tinseltown »

Jaime1234 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:02 pm
Wonderwall wrote:
Swedish wrote:

Haven't you ever spoken to somebody who said "My grandfather smoked 80 cigarettes a day since he was a young boy, drank a bottle of whisky every week all his adult life, and he lived to be 98" ?

Some people beat the odds, it's as simple as that. Assuming, in this case, that there are any odds to beat.
Or have the best physician in the world have a meticulous look after you, every 5 years or so, for the last 46 years of your life, as was the case wth my great grand mother, who died seven weeks short of her 101th birthday. The physician's name can be seen as you enter 40 hospitals and more than 300 health and urgent care centers across several states of the Union.
Naturally. :roll:

dougkapp
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by dougkapp »

To me Lisa's death was a fatality. It has nothing to do with genetics, or external factors (drugs). Yes, the death of her son may have contributed, but anyone can suffer a heart attack, even an athlete. Every now and then someone young, an athlete, etc. dies of heart attack. To me, Lisa is part of those statistics. IMO

Jaime1234
Registered for: 13 years

Post by Jaime1234 »

tinseltown wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:00 pm
Jaime1234 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:02 pm
Wonderwall wrote:
Swedish wrote:

Naturally. :roll:
No kidding...

https://www.google.com/search?q=ochsner+health+system&rlz=1C1SQJL_esNI936NI936&sxsrf=AJOqlzW-WNCz3nYZNoIC0TG20fgvVfTgNg:1673820773877&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwik2ZOlzMr8AhVLSTABHWSED28Q_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1094&bih=504&dpr=1.25

eligain

Post by eligain »

dougkapp wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:13 pm
To me Lisa's death was a fatality. It has nothing to do with genetics, or external factors (drugs). Yes, the death of her son may have contributed, but anyone can suffer a heart attack, even an athlete. Every now and then someone young, an athlete, etc. dies of heart attack. To me, Lisa is part of those statistics. IMO
But you and several people here are assuming she had a heart attack. Cardiac arrest and heart attack are not the same thing. Cardiac arrest just means her heart stopped. We still don't know yet why her heart stopped. So It's pointless to speculate if this is hereditary or not when we don't yet know what caused her heart to stop. She was obviously not in good shape in the week before she died and according to TMZ she had been receiving medical attention but they don't know yet for what. And they reported that she had been complaining of severe stomach pains on the morning she died.

When Elvis died, Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Jerry Francisco said that Elvis died of "Cardiac Arrhythmia due to undetermined causes". That just really meant that his heart started beating erratically and then stopped and they really don't know why. The Autopsy found no evidence of a heart attack. So Elvis didn't die of a heart attack according to the autopsy and the doctors that performed the autopsy.

BrianTCB

Post by BrianTCB »

eligain wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:37 am
dougkapp wrote:
But you and several people here are assuming she had a heart attack. Cardiac arrest and heart attack are not the same thing. Cardiac arrest just means her heart stopped. We still don't know yet why her heart stopped. So It's pointless to speculate if this is hereditary or not when we don't yet know what caused her heart to stop. She was obviously not in good shape in the week before she died and according to TMZ she had been receiving medical attention but they don't know yet for what. And they reported that she had been complaining of severe stomach pains on the morning she died.

When Elvis died, Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Jerry Francisco said that Elvis died of "Cardiac Arrhythmia due to undetermined causes". That just really meant that his heart started beating erratically and then stopped and they really don't know why. The Autopsy found no evidence of a heart attack. So Elvis didn't die of a heart attack according to the autopsy and the doctors that performed the autopsy.
Heart attacks can present as severe stomach pains in women, don't forget.

BrianTCB

Post by BrianTCB »

eligain wrote:
dougkapp wrote:

Okay, then, let's get specific...

Gladys - Died from cardiac event, liver issues.
Elvis - Died from cardiac arrhythmia due to undetermined causes.
Lisa Marie - Died from cardiac arrest (causes yet to be determined).

Feel better? And notice the trend is still there?

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Growing list of celebrities taken to social media and written their condolences.

This one is by Oprah WINFREY, very moving -

Lisa Marie Presley and I felt a kinship towards each other. My maternal ancestors were also Presleys, so we would often call each other “Cuz.”
While Henry Louis Gates confirmed we weren’t actually related, we always liked to think so. Throughout the years, we had many conversations—on camera, off camera, and even on hikes—and she was always 100% genuine.

Rest well, “Cuz.” Blessings to her mom, Priscilla, and her daughters, Riley, Finley, and Harper.

Join us in keeping the Presley family in our thoughts during this time of mourning.

full article here:
https://www.oprahdaily.com/entertainment/a42487557/oprah-lisa-marie-presley-death/

eligain

Post by eligain »

BrianTCB wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:52 am
eligain wrote:
dougkapp wrote:

Sorry, still no trend. We all eventually die of cardiac arrest, meaning our heart stops. Gladys died from acute hepatitis I believe. That can be brought on by heavy drinking and she reportedly was also taking diet pills for her weight which are bad for the liver. Has it ever been reported that they did an autopsy on her? Elvis' death certificate says Cardiac Arrhythmia but he most likely either died from a polypharmacy drug interaction/overdose or the valsalva maneuver from severe constipation likely caused or made worse by his abuse of opioids. Elvis' autopsy found that he had an enlarged heart but all of his organs we larger than normal and my have just been an anomaly. He had hypertension (High blood pressure) but that could have been because of the high salt diet and he had moderate plaque in his arteries consistent for a man of his age and not enough for medical intervention yet and there was no damage to his heart that you see with a heart attack. I think that Francisco said that the hypertension could have been a contributing factor but given his diet and lack of exercise it's hard to make the case that his hypertension was hereditary. And we still don't know yet why Lisa' s heart stopped.

BrianTCB

Post by BrianTCB »

eligain wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:31 am
BrianTCB wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:52 am
eligain wrote:
dougkapp wrote:

Sorry, still no trend. We all eventually die of cardiac arrest, meaning our heart stops. Gladys died from acute hepatitis I believe. That can be brought on by heavy drinking and she reportedly was also taking diet pills for her weight which are bad for the liver. Has it ever been reported that they did an autopsy on her? Elvis' death certificate says Cardiac Arrhythmia but he most likely either died from a polypharmacy drug interaction/overdose or the valsalva maneuver from severe constipation likely caused or made worse by his abuse of opioids. Elvis' autopsy found that he had an enlarged heart but all of his organs we larger than normal and my have just been an anomaly. He had hypertension (High blood pressure) but that could have been because of the high salt diet and he had moderate plaque in his arteries consistent for a man of his age and not enough for medical intervention yet. I think that Francisco said that the hypertension could have been a contributing factor but given his diet and lack of exercise it's hard to make the case that his hypertension was hereditary. And we still don't know yet why Lisa' s heart stopped.
So, you're ignoring the fact that Gladys died of a heart attack?

gladys-cause-of-death.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

brian
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by brian »

This thread has turned into too much speculation on what Lisa Presley passed away from. No one knows right now. The people on this forum aren't doctors. Everyone should cool it on that.

dougkapp
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by dougkapp »

In Brazil, when the heart stops beating, it is called "Mal súbito". My neighbor is a doctor and we had a friend who died of "Mal Sudito", his heart stopped beating, and my neighbor said that this can happen to anyone and there is no explanation. The heart just stops and you die.
In Lisa Marie's case she showed symptoms of a possible heart attack, which would be stomach problems, which is one of the symptoms of a heart attack. Her death was the subject of a Brazilian health website warning people to pay attention to symptoms that can be related to heart problems.
Her death made me very sad. I confess that I didn't listen to Elvis' songs for a few days.