Elvis Madison Square Garden FTD box set , are you going to buy it ?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

SpyGuyUK
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Re: Elvis Madison Square Garden FTD box set , are you going to buy it ?

Post by SpyGuyUK »

ORION wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 2:45 pm
Thank you Robert for sharing the link. I'm now glad that I ordered the set. Not too long ago, I posted a topic about the possible reversal of the sound landscape on the original Madison album. I noticed after listening to Matt's superb re-mix of Aloha and the new On Tour set, that the piano was on the left channel and JB's guitar was on the right, but that was not the case on the original Madison Square LP by Ferrante. From listening to the the YouTube clip of "...Good Times" it sounds as if Matt has made that change so that audio matches visually what one would see and expect to hear from the stage based on the musicians set up. Also, the sound in the clip has a more natural arena atmosphere sound.
I know what you mean. I hate when they reverse the sound landscape. I'm sure when I saw TTWII SE at the cinema Jerry Scheff's bass was on the left during 'One Night' but hearing later on TV, DVD etc. or anywhere else I'm sure it was switched to the right which was annoying. It's good as you say to hear it the way you would see the musicians play it on stage.

SpyGuyUK

Post by SpyGuyUK »

ElvisDan wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 10:14 pm
Listen to me very carefully folks...GO RIGHT NOW AND ORDER THIS!!! YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!! It is, by far, the best mix/sound this show has ever been presented in. Its like I'm hearing this for the first time. OMG!! From the first kettle drums echoing 2001 (yes, it sounds like you are in the audience. I know PFAP claimed the same, but NOT LIKE THIS!!!) It is a reference quality recording folks. I'm still shaking after listening to this. No, I'm not being over dramatic in my description , its that good. For the first time, proud Mary sounds like it should ( no JD belching out Roll,roll. His backup voice is now where it should be, blending in, adding to the full, rich bass line). The audience sounds so frickin electric, not pushed way back. They sounded way to harsh in PFAP. Now they just sneak up from behind and go crazy!!! Listen to his "oldies medley"... you will go nuts! Love me tender...The excitement is off the chain! Trilogy is amazing, it sounds real deep and rich, like Aloha! Once you hear this , I promise, you will NEVER listen to any other release again. WOW!!! MemphisFlash, you were right, I was blown right out of my chair!!! I never expected this kind of remix/remastering. Just like many of you, thought this was just another cash grab or " what else could they possibly do to it". Boy, was I wrong...VERY WRONG!!!
Thanks...Does this mean you liked it??? :wink:

MadTiger
Registered for: 3 years 3 months

Post by MadTiger »

I wasn't planning on buying it, but having listened to that sample might have changed my mind ...

Keith Richards, Jr.
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

I think Rob will have to buy this after all.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

YDKM
Registered for: 21 years

Post by YDKM »

Absolutely I was NOT going to buy this , but I have.But certainly especially the blue hawaii audio I do not need

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Rob »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 12:13 am
I think Rob will have to buy this after all.
Keith, Keith, Keith......

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

Dan_T
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by Dan_T »

I wasn't going to buy this, but listening to the sample Ive changed my mind.

I loved PFAP, but i did find listening on headphones, which I do most of the time, I find it "fatiguing" on the the ears, which I've found happens if I listen to something somebody has re equalised at home.

Scoobie
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Post by Scoobie »

listening to it as I type this. This and M.R.S's work on the Aloha set has prompted a question. The master tapes we worked with are the same multi-tracks as used previously. If it was always possible to make them sound this good, why was it not done in the first place?

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Rob »

Because then it couldn't be bought again and again and again.......

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Robert »

Scoobie wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 7:19 pm
listening to it as I type this. This and M.R.S's work on the Aloha set has prompted a question. The master tapes we worked with are the same multi-tracks as used previously. If it was always possible to make them sound this good, why was it not done in the first place?
New is not always better.
Remember the Memphis FTD in true live audio and the snooze fest Legacy mix years later.

In this case however, it’s a home run!

carloselvis
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by carloselvis »

I think I'll pass... I have these shows so many times...
Are these finally in the correct speed? that may change my mind...

Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

Robert wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 7:26 pm
Scoobie wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 7:19 pm
New is not always better.
Remember the Memphis FTD in true live audio and the snooze fest Legacy mix years later.

In this case however, it’s a home run!
I agree, but why was it not done as well as this in the past? Why was it that the previous releases did not sound this way? The only factor that has changed is the presence of M.R.S. So, what is it that M.R.S. does that previous engineers did not do? Is mixing and mastering subject to fashion as time passes? Or was there a time or budgetary issue that prevented good work like this being done previously?

Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

Rob wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 7:22 pm
that is rather cynical, but it might be right. Can you really imagine some executive thinking "we will just rush it out on a single LP, and perhaps do it properly at some later date. That way we can sell it to crazy Elvis fans again with 'improved sound'...and double our profits".

The Colonel would have certainly aproved that tactic.

Or perhaps they just did not care enough to put the work in because they knew the fans would buy it regardless.

On Tape 1972
Registered for: 1 year 11 months

Post by On Tape 1972 »

Scoobie wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 8:00 pm
Rob wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 7:22 pm
that is rather cynical, but it might be right. Can you really imagine some executive thinking "we will just rush it out on a single LP, and perhaps do it properly at some later date. That way we can sell it to crazy Elvis fans again with 'improved sound'...and double our profits".

The Colonel would have certainly aproved that tactic.

Or perhaps they just did not care enough to put the work in because they knew the fans would buy it regardless.
The times they are a changing ... and so are technologies and the people who use them. And frankly it's just business. The entire entertainment and media industry is re-packaging the same **** time and time again, re-telling the same *****y stories in their blockbuster movies again and again. I can live with a little EP remix now and again. Keeps us fans happy and satisfied :wink:

Fabbe
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Fabbe »

I have just heard the MSG samples and wow - the new mix sounds very, very good. I can't believe it.

I have been very critical in the past with M.R.S's work but on this it is just amazing - Elvis and the other singers sound like they have better mikes. The entire band is well placed spatially. Everything is well balanced. Incredible!

"An artist like Elvis is actually pretending, when he’s home, to be normal. And when he goes out on stage at night is who he actually is." — Bruce Springsteen

Markus K.
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by Markus K. »

I'm really glad I bought this set as I think the mix is truly outstanding. As has been stated the mastering could have been better as it is by far too loud and at times clips - which is a damn shame with this beautiful mix that has been created. Despite the poor mastering this will easily be my go-to source for these shows for years to come. As I play the Garden shows quite often it will be a real gem to the collection for me.
I'd say keep the DVD from the "Prince from another planet" set and discard of the rest - but get this FTD.

SpyGuyUK

Post by SpyGuyUK »

Markus K. wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 10:32 pm
I'm really glad I bought this set as I think the mix is truly outstanding. As has been stated the mastering could have been better as it is by far too loud and at times clips - which is a damn shame with this beautiful mix that has been created. Despite the poor mastering this will easily be my go-to source for these shows for years to come. As I play the Garden shows quite often it will be a real gem to the collection for me.
I'd say keep the DVD from the "Prince from another planet" set and discard of the rest - but get this FTD.
I've bought this too as like you the MSG 1972 shows I play regularly too probably followed by Elvis In Concert(Vinyl). I thought the PFAP was maybe a little bright/harsh and maybe lacking in the bass/drums. Don't know if you would agree with that. By the way I remember you directed me to a place where we can still talk about the material on the 'Sold Out DVD's' that we can't discuss here. Is there anywhere? I saw the Atlanta 1976 footage that I thought was excellent (15 mins) and wondered what everyone else thought. You don't have to discuss it here but is there anywhere? Thanks.

carloselvis
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by carloselvis »

Markus K. wrote:
Evening Show is at the correct speed?

Markus K.

Post by Markus K. »

carloselvis wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 11:04 pm
Markus K. wrote:
Evening Show is at the correct speed?
There are others who have much more expertise for this than myself but it sounds fine to my ears. The band is on fire and the songs are performed at high-speed - but I assume it's how it was during these four days in New York City so personally I'd say there are no speed issues.

Markus K.

Post by Markus K. »

SpyGuyUK wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 11:00 pm
Markus K. wrote:
I've bought this too as like you the MSG 1972 shows I play regularly too probably followed by Elvis In Concert(Vinyl). I thought the PFAP was maybe a little bright/harsh and maybe lacking in the bass/drums. Don't know if you would agree with that. By the way I remember you directed me to a place where we can still talk about the material on the 'Sold Out DVD's' that we can't discuss here. Is there anywhere? I saw the Atlanta 1976 footage that I thought was excellent (15 mins) and wondered what everyone else thought. You don't have to discuss it here but is there anywhere? Thanks.
That was also my personal impression and I'd agree to that. The new mix is much warmer and has space to breath. If only the mastering would mirror that...

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

On Tape 1972 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 8:15 pm
I've had this on pre-order since day 1 and it's beyond me why any fan would want to skip a release like this. Owning too many copies already? Get rid of 'em. Too bitchy a wife? Well...

Or husband . . .

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

I bought the Legacy edition to compliment the 90s CDs and PFAP the day before this FTD was announced. Please don't convince me to buy the MSG shows for a 4th time. Just keep telling me the mastering leaves a little to be desired.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

SpyGuyUK

Post by SpyGuyUK »

Markus K. wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 11:25 pm
SpyGuyUK wrote:
Markus K. wrote:
That was also my personal impression and I'd agree to that. The new mix is much warmer and has space to breath. If only the mastering would mirror that...
Glad someone else thinks so. I thought maybe I was being a bit over critical as everyone else was saying how marvellous it although it was pretty good otherwise. Did you not see the second part of my message? :D

Markus K.

Post by Markus K. »

SpyGuyUK wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 12:15 am
Markus K. wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 11:25 pm
SpyGuyUK wrote:
Markus K. wrote:
Glad someone else thinks so. I thought maybe I was being a bit over critical as everyone else was saying how marvellous it although it was pretty good otherwise. Did you not see the second part of my message? :D
I've read it but I'm not sure I understand it. But you can contact me via pm if you like.

takecare
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by takecare »

Completely amazing sound.
Like another concert.
Highly recommended to buy!!!!!